HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Proposal: Modification to high sticking penalty

Old
11-02-2011, 03:48 AM
DecimatorDiecuts

vCash: 500
Proposal: Modification to high sticking penalty

So I was watching the Canucks decimate the Flames tonight and when Henrik got the double minor for high sticking it occured to me that with all the debate about whether or not visors should be mandatory the league could make a modification to the high sticking rule to further encourage players to wear them without making it completely mandatory.

If a high stick draws blood and a player is wearing some sort of visor/face-shield it's a double minor (4 minutes). If a high stick draws blood and a player is not wearing any sort of visor/face-shield it's only a minor (2 min).

The idea being that many (obviously not all) high sticks that draw blood would not have drawn blood had the receiving player been wearing a visor/face shield. So teams that have safety conscious players are getting penalized by only getting single minors in instances where they may have gotten the extra 2 minutes on the PP had their player not had a visor on.

Player safety is encouraged and teams are rewarded with the extra PP time if their players are choosing to protect themselves. Obviously highsticking injuries would reduce as a result of more shields being worn too.

DecimatorDiecuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
No. Right now visors are a player's choice. If the league wants players to wear visors, they need to try to grandfather them in. They shouldn't be offering the freedom to choose on one hand and then punishing them for making that choice on the other.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:10 AM
vuvuzela

all players who don't wear visors should have to paint their faces like this before every game:

if the damage from a high stick is done in this area, it's a single minor.

if the damage is done outside of this area, it's a double minor.

vuvuzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:16 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuvuzela View Post
all players who don't wear visors should have to paint their faces like this before every game:

if the damage from a high stick is done in this area, it's a single minor.

if the damage is done outside of this area, it's a double minor.
Why paint only the guys without visor? Tattoo all NHL players with similar patterns.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:26 AM
HeliDevil
Ride the Schneid

i might be in the minority on this one (and you're proposal isn't bad at all), but i think the additional minor for drawing blood is so stupid.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Elementis

penalties based on result instead of action are stupid in general.

make the double-minor for deliberate or reckless action, anything that's accidental should not go beyond a 2 minute penalty

Elementis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:03 AM
wej20

Most of the time when a high stick draws blood it's because it hits the mouth which isn't protected by a visor anyway.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Nut View Post
i might be in the minority on this one (and you're proposal isn't bad at all), but i think the additional minor for drawing blood is so stupid.
I know I'm sort of splitting hairs here, but the rule isn't about "drawing blood", it's "creating a visible injury". If a high stick leaves a bruise or a welt or a cold sore, it's four minutes.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:45 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Most of the time when a high stick draws blood it's because it hits the mouth which isn't protected by a visor anyway.
I agree.

Further, players can also be cut from a high stick in the upper-facial (under the visor) area while wearing a visor.

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Happyhary9

The best would be for the NHL to kick the crap out of the refs and make them actually call it by the rules. The rule has nothing to due with drawing blood, its if you cause a injury. Which to me a little cut on the lip where the player will miss no time is not an injury. The refs just call it all the time now if there is blood, hence you have 80% of the people thinking the rule is if there if blood.

Basically the intent of the rule was that if you injure a player causing him to miss time for stitches or whatever then the player that high-sticked him would also miss extra time as well.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

new proposal:

Cover bottom halves of all sticks in bubble-wrap six inches thick

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Breaking news: The NHL has announced mandatory safety regulations for the 2012-13 season, including a requirement that all sticks be designed to minimize injury.

In accordance with the new rules, RBK has released a prototype of a new "Edge Series" of stick to be released next summer.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
neofury*

New idea that is perfect. Force players to wear those scooter/motorcycle helmets!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote