HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Chris Kreider (2009, 19th overall, New York Rangers)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
During yesterday's prospect tournament broadcast the announcers brought up Kreider's informal skates with the team a few weeks ago and that Brad Richards was raving about Kreider's ability. Frankly that is good enough for me.

He is an easy target for HF because his college stats aren't great and he isn't a puck possession guy. He's never going to control the tempo in the zone, and isn't much of a setup guy either (though at this point I believe his ability to distribute is bordering on underrated).

But his game right now is 100% transferrable to the pros. He isn't producing by dangling around kids or undersized players. He shot is 30-goal caliber and his speed is elite, he just needs to continue to work on picking his spots. He's got the motor and the size to do the dirty work as well, and can be simply unstoppable in the corners when necessary.

09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
he said based on size, speed, shot, physical play. find me another prospect with a better combo than kreider.
Find me one that's better at Halo. Hockey is a mental game as much as it's a physical one -- probably more so. Tools don't mean a single thing if he doesn't have a place to put them.

Last edited by massivegoonery: 09-15-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old
09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
he said based on size, speed, shot, physical play. find me another prospect with a better combo than kreider.
Those are nice things to have for sure. But with low hockey IQ, they will only get you so far.

Old
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

One of my favorite prospects to watch. Unfortunately, he can't put it all together for some reason. When he does, Rangers fans will be very lucky.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Chris Kreider - Finally showing why he's a legit top prospect

In a more offensive role at BC, Chris Kreider, in 8 gaes has 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 points to go along with 20 PIM's.

In your opinion, is this Kreider finally showing what he is capable of and what was expected from him and what has kept him in the top 50 Prospects in the world?

I'm happy he's finally posting the kind of numbers that were expected.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Levitate

Yes. Has to keep it up though. Would be good to see him put up even better numbers as well, but from all reports he's improved his game in every way since last year

Old
11-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
In a more offensive role at BC, Chris Kreider, in 8 gaes has 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 points to go along with 20 PIM's.

In your opinion, is this Kreider finally showing what he is capable of and what was expected from him and what has kept him in the top 50 Prospects in the world?

I'm happy he's finally posting the kind of numbers that were expected.
I have to disagree with your wording here. "Finally" indicates that Kreider hasn't been up to snuff in the past, and I don't see it. Given the structure at BC, it's been clear to me that Kreider would have a very clear and discernable development arc that isn't entirely based on his own physical gifts or talent. When he's been in other situations (such as the WJC or WC) the inhibitors imposed upon him at college tend to go away. Now that ability is being translated at school with an expanded role.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't take on a more offensive role at BC sooner. BC tends to play a system that really puts high scoring forwards right into the fray, but it's taken Kreider a little bit longer than I expected to break out scoring.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
RangerNation1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't take on a more offensive role at BC sooner. BC tends to play a system that really puts high scoring forwards right into the fray, but it's taken Kreider a little bit longer than I expected to break out scoring.
The coach at BC doesn't really give the high scoring forwards the most minutes. He is known for giving them to the juniors and seniors regardless of how good the other players are. Kreider is getting more minutes not that he is an upperclassman.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNation1994 View Post
The coach at BC doesn't really give the high scoring forwards the most minutes. He is known for giving them to the juniors and seniors regardless of how good the other players are. Kreider is getting more minutes not that he is an upperclassman.
As a BU fan, I've seen way too many BC guys light it up against the Terriers. Recent guys like Gerbe, Atkinson, Smith, Ferriero were all putting up 40+ points their sophomore years and Whitney put up 50 in his first year (granted, he was playing with Gerbe and then sucked the year after without Gerbe), so York definitely puts out guys who score as soon as they're ready to contribute.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
cleverusername

Quote:
As a BU fan, I've seen way too many BC guys light it up against the Terriers. Recent guys like Gerbe, Atkinson, Smith, Ferriero were all putting up 40+ points their sophomore years and Whitney put up 50 in his first year (granted, he was playing with Gerbe and then sucked the year after without Gerbe), so York definitely puts out guys who score as soon as they're ready to contribute.
This.

Don't know where this whole "seniors play first" apologist excuse for Kreider came from, but it's not true.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
h0ckeyman

He's continuing to blossom. Anyone who watched him at WJC could tell you he is offensively gifted. He needs to complete his game, which I think he's taken the right steps to do that at BC. Many wanted him on the Rangers this season, but it's looking like going back to BC was a good choice. He definitely has all the tools to be a star in the NHL.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I have to disagree with your wording here. "Finally" indicates that Kreider hasn't been up to snuff in the past, and I don't see it. Given the structure at BC, it's been clear to me that Kreider would have a very clear and discernable development arc that isn't entirely based on his own physical gifts or talent. When he's been in other situations (such as the WJC or WC) the inhibitors imposed upon him at college tend to go away. Now that ability is being translated at school with an expanded role.
Still thought that as a gifter player that he was and is, he should have posted better numbers than he had in years 1 and 2. It's an opinion. Nothing more.

To me, I do not believe that Kreider has been up to snuff in college regardless of system. I expected better numbers. More along the lines of a point a game pace.

To me, it seems like he is finally breaking out and putting up the numbers that have been expected of him.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Crede777
Deputized

How does he compare to Atkinson?

Old
11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
madmike77

He's still trailing Arnold

Old
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Yes, this is something Rangers fans just won't let go...I don't doubt that York had guys he wanted to play over Kreider in general, because of seniority and probably production, but Kreider also didn't force the issue. Despite him having a bunch of great tools, I don't think he was ready mentally to take the reigns and be a consistent go to guy

People hold up his WJC performances as some kind of proof that BC was holding him back, but really what we can see is that he still wasn't really ready to be that guy who shoulders the load and forces himself into top minute icetime.

When he's more assertive, he's great, but I think it's taken him up to this year to feel ready and confident enough to play assertively on a consistent basis. Too often before now, he would look a bit too tentative, like he didn't want to get out of position or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
How does he compare to Atkinson?
Bigger and faster, but obviously Atkinson figured out his scoring touch a lot faster than Kreider.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:02 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

1Goal 1 Assist tonight so far.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
ecemleafs

9 games. 7 goals 7 assists 14 points.

Old
11-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
His speed is just mind-blowing. There are a couple of clips that actually look fake he's moving so fast.

Old
11-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
This is the one I was thinking of.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:44 AM
beastly115

Wait, so you mean we're not trading him for Franson?

Glad to see Kreider doing well.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post

To quote the great Marshawn Lynch:

"fast, stupid fast"

Old
11-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Dutch Dreams

Next of the elite 3rd liners of the NHL, a la Paajarvi.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post

Seen that before, but that's insane.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
these guys are 5'9 munchkins or smaller. xcept Smith.

do not compare Kreider to them.

the smaller players always seem to have better roles on York's squad, but anyone above 6 feet that isnt a junior or a senior somehow has to earn their ice time. Smaller players in general seem to acclimate themselves faster to the college game then everyone else. see T.J Tynan for that.

it maddens me all the time.

all those guys listed above are very solid players, but the lifespan of most of them will only be a few years as a pro....Kreider on the other hand is going to have a long long career in the NHL, and at the end of the day thats what matters not what they did in the NCAA.

Closed Thread