HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Voracek

Old
11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
He's a bit inconsistant but he certainly has the talent. Just needs the right line mates. I expect bigger things later in the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
He gets too excited with the puck and tries to do too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
He stays to the outside to much for my liking a player with his size and talents should be going into the traffic areas and getting some dirty goals.........
These posts sums it up pretty much, I think. He's overcomplicating things atm, hanging on to the puck for too long and dangling a bit much. If/When he starts going more directly for the net, the points will begin to trickle in pretty fast I believe. He's also not really found any chemistry with anyone so far. There's been a lot of line juggling lately of course, and now we're hit with the injury bug, but I wouldn't mind seeing him with Schenn later on when he returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It was Hartnell first. Then he started scoring.

Next up is the Voracek hate. Until he starts scoring.

Then it will be JVR.

I get the feeling there will be a lot of streaky performances from players this year. There just isn't the ice time to go around that will give these forwards the kind of consistency to put up 50-60 point seasons.

Just be patient. Notice how Simmonds has kind of fallen to the backburner lately?

Prepare for a season full of give and take from our complementary forwards; our complementary forwards being everyone but Giroux.
There is some truth to this. However, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell and JvR (so far into their careers) are also fairly streaky players. And most guys in the NHL are so. Unless you are in the ppg area, you are probably a streaky player (as far as point production goes, at least).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
i have no idea what you've been watching

Zherdev v2.0
Except for the whole working hard aspect of Voracek's game right?

He'll be Zherdev 2.0 in a lot of people's eyes on here until he starts scoring, and then he'll be awesome......until he hits a slump, then we should trade him.....until he starts scoring again and is awesome.

It's like everyone who wanted to trade Hartnell because they said he sucked. I remember someone posted that he didn't know how to play hockey. Really? He's been a part of 2 of our best lines the past couple years, but he doesn't know how to play hockey....

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:49 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Too many skill players, so little ice time.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Inb4 deflatedfootball comes in and says how awful he has been (he made a thread on the main board complaining about him).

I like him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:13 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
i have no idea what you've been watching

Zherdev v2.0
Except not playing like Zherdev at all?

I mean. They both have skill? They've both committed turnovers in their career? They're both foreign?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I don't know if people actually really observe everything in the game or not but i have seen Voracek have guys ride his back for a good 4 seconds while he has the puck along the boards.

Now the turnovers are a problem but i think he is lacking confidence with the puck on his stick lately. When he starts putting the puck in the net you will start seeing less of that as he gains more confidence.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I don't know if people actually really observe everything in the game or not but i have seen Voracek have guys ride his back for a good 4 seconds while he has the puck along the boards.

Now the turnovers are a problem but i think he is lacking confidence with the puck on his stick lately. When he starts putting the puck in the net you will start seeing less of that as he gains more confidence.
The thing is, Voracek isn't trying to do too much or trying to be a one man show. At this point he's still got to develop some chemistry, learn to play within Lavi's system, and figure out his role on this team.

I think once he figures these things out, he'll be less Leino and more Jagr if you catch my drift; he'll be more comfortable using his size and skill in more places on the ice instead of just along the boards.

AND for you people that like to troll, no I did not compare Voracek to Jagr. I compared Voracek's ability to use his body and skillset everywhere in the offensize zone to what Jagr is currently demonstrating for us in places like the slot and behind the net. Though that does not and probably will not transfer to crease-play, it's definitely something important. Give it time. The Voracek of Columbus will rear his head soon enough.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I'm willing to say that he's not in a Flyers uniform next season

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I really don't know what games you're watching, but voracek has been largely a perimeter player through these first 11 games. He's been neglecting his size and trying to either hold on to the puck around the half boards, or blaze behind the net with it, only to come out on the other side with a blind pass or a bad angle shot that sails over the net.

Being a 6'5" LW, I know all too well when a player is neglecting their size, because I did it for 15 years...
I'm watching the games you've been watching, but with the added benefit of viewing comprehension.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol at the zherdev comments. Apart from the fact that Voracek has been very impressive in his own end, and that he has been creating scoring chances.

He's going to get it all to click together soon. He's been good so far.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol at the zherdev comments. Apart from the fact that Voracek has been very impressive in his own end, and that he has been creating scoring chances.

He's going to get it all to click together soon. He's been good so far.
We are definitely watching completely different teams. If anything, his weak point right now is his defensive play. The amount of turnovers he has had in his defensive zone is alarming.

Honestly, he is very comparable to Zherdev sadly. The only difference is he doesnt try to go around the whole team, instead its 1-2 players but in the defensive end.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Yup must be. I've seen him clean up for Carle 2-3 times a game. I've seen him make awesome backchecks to break up scoring chances too. He's criminally underrated because he isn't a hard-nosed front of the net hockey player.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We are definitely watching completely different teams. If anything, his weak point right now is his defensive play. The amount of turnovers he has had in his defensive zone is alarming.

Honestly, he is very comparable to Zherdev sadly. The only difference is he doesnt try to go around the whole team, instead its 1-2 players but in the defensive end.
Nobody is watching different games... yes he has some defensive and neutral zone turnovers, but unlike Zherdev, he actually plays good defense. For example, when the other team is attacking, Voracek is willing to work on the boards to get the puck back, he is good at covering his man and making sure someone doesn't get open. And he never cherry picks for goals.

Defense is completely different than defensive zone turnovers. You are playing "defense" when the puck isn't on your stick, but rather is on the other team's sticks. Your issue w/ Voracek is his play when the puck is on his stick... not his defense.

He is a much, much better player than Zherdev... more skill, better defensively, faster, the whole nine.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Voracek actually plays two way hockey unlike Zherdev.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If anything, his weak point right now is his defensive play. The amount of turnovers he has had in his defensive zone is alarming.
The amount of turnovers our entire team has is alarming.

Voracek has done nothing extensive to separate himself from the pack turnover wise good or bad.

His play in his own zone certainly isn't the issue at hand particularly since his defensive play has not been anywhere near what I would constitute as "poor." He could stand some improvement on breakouts, as could our entire team at this point.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
mypunkrock

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...1-11#storyjump

Voracek just isn't finishing his scoring chances. They will come.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:21 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Voracek is having a slow start this season, but it's not like he's alone. Our skill guys can't all be scoring like Giroux, even if we wish it were so.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:28 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
The amount of turnovers our entire team has is alarming.

Voracek has done nothing extensive to separate himself from the pack turnover wise good or bad.

His play in his own zone certainly isn't the issue at hand particularly since his defensive play has not been anywhere near what I would constitute as "poor." He could stand some improvement on breakouts, as could our entire team at this point.
Yes they have all been bad, and I think Voracek has been fine; unimpressive, but fine.

That said, I was at the St. Louis game and for most of the first period almost every time the Flyers turned it over it was Voracek. I know this because I was at the game with my mom and she kept asking "who was that?" every time there was a bad turnover, and probably at LEAST 5 times, it was Voracek. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen within a single period haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yes they have all been bad, and I think Voracek has been fine; unimpressive, but fine.

That said, I was at the St. Louis game and for most of the first period almost every time the Flyers turned it over it was Voracek. I know this because I was at the game with my mom and she kept asking "who was that?" every time there was a bad turnover, and probably at LEAST 5 times, it was Voracek. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen within a single period haha.
There was a game this year where I swore both Coburn and Meszaros were Randy Jones.

It happens.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
There was a game this year where I swore both Coburn and Meszaros were Randy Jones.

It happens.
Jones, SHOT!....blocked

Old
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
He stays to the outside to much for my liking a player with his size and talents should be going into the traffic areas and getting some dirty goals.........
This sums it up, he needs to drive the net or he will be average at best. If he drove the net like Hartnell or used his outside speed to the net like JVR he could be top end, but at this rate he is going to be qualified and traded in a few years.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
This sums it up, he needs to drive the net or he will be average at best. If he drove the net like Hartnell or used his outside speed to the net like JVR he could be top end, but at this rate he is going to be qualified and traded in a few years.
You mean like JVR did in ONE playoff, but not during the rest of his entire career. Still waiting to see this full time.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:12 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

He's just pressin like crazy. He looks like he's constantly tryin to play catchup. He know's he had a bad preseason offensively and He basically runs in place when he takes possession. Always either offsides or turnin it over right at the line. He's one of these dudes that looks like He'll always be streaky.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Dont get me wrong. I dont dislike Voracek like I did Zherdev. I think he is more skilled then Zherdev is. Thing is though that him doing that take it from behind our net and turning it over every single time is pissing me off.

He just doesnt seem to have chemistry with anyone which is a shame.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I'm very impressed by how fast and strong on the puck he is, just seems cursed when it comes to finishing. Should be able to become a damn good playmaker... also, is it just me or is it tough to believe he's only 22? Not that that's crazy young, but it just seems like he's 25-26.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote