HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dan Girardi (will he keep it up?)

Old
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Dan Girardi (will he keep it up?)

I know I'll face accusations of "jinx thread" for this but I don't care. The way this man is playing he deserves 10 threads.

So now we have a place to say nice things about him. Other than that, there is one topic regarding Danny G I wish to discuss. He was always serviceable but never quite like this. Thing is, he's never been without Staal before. It's obvious to me, that his play has something to do with Staal being out. So two questions; 1) was he simply over shadowed by Staal or was he just not stepping up as much with his reduced role? And 2)Will he continue to play this way when Staal returns?

So yeah...Dan Girardi. Post away

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Thumpz

I would imagine he would keep it up when Staal gets back, perhaps even better since he may feel more comfortable being back there with Staal instead of McD. There were times last year where Girardi looked absolutely lost out there with Staal and I was really worried about that happening again this season, but he's been more Solid than I could have ever expected.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

No.

I love Danny G. I think nobody on the entire team (save Henrik) has stepped it up in Staal absence like he has. I think he is showing why he is THE most underrated D-man in the NHL this year.

BUT.

He's just not used to this. I think eventually, without Staal, he's going to start to slip. I think he'll fluctuate though. He'll get right back at it. I just think consistency will be an issue as we get deeper into the season as long as Staal is out.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Girardi has been beyond rock solid defensively and good at the point in the offensive zone ES and on the PP. I think getting Staal back will only help him, since in all likelihood he'll be able to play less minutes.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

lets just hope he doesnt run out of steam before the all star break

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
I think Staal being out was just what he needed. He was always in Staal's shadow, and that lowered his progress. Now that he was given the chance to step up, he saw how good he is, and will stay up at that improved level.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
DelZ-Crap

Other than the last pairing, we have one of the best D's in the league now (and the youngest at the same time)

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
I don't know whether or not he'll keep it up, but he's been playing and producing like a legitimate #1 defenseman this season. He's just so intelligent out on the ice, rarely makes the ill-advised play.

I remember when he was considered a throw away third pairing defenseman (not on here, actually, more within my own group of Ranger fan friends, although I have seen it on other forums). Glad to see him overcome this perceived opinion of his game; he's earned it.

I'll be honest, I was scared about Girardi once I knew about Staal's injury, but he's proving me wrong as the game go by. Awesome player.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
dccuse

I think the fact that he's been so solid with McDonagh is a great sign. Then when staal gets back one of the other pairs will get a big boost, especially if the trade off is woywitka or eminger for Marc. Great situation we've got with Dan, echoes the theory that this is about the age when dmen hit their stride

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
I think Staal being out was just what he needed. He was always in Staal's shadow, and that lowered his progress. Now that he was given the chance to step up, he saw how good he is, and will stay up at that improved level.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
DelZ-Crap

Other than the last pairing, we have one of the best D's in the league now (and the youngest at the same time)
I lean more towards

Staal-Sauer
McDonagh-Girardi
Rest

I think splitting Staal and Girardi up is incredibly important for this team over the course of the whole year. Maybe you put Staal-Girardi together for games against teams with great first lines. At the very worst, you'll end up with a 25-25-10 split in ice time instead of a 30-20-10 split like we saw last year.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
UlfNilsson

If Staal could make the All-Star team Girardi should be considered, too. Sometimes Girardi has looked better than Staal. Most underrated dman in the league.

If he was a 1st-round pick he'd be more highly respected. Because he was undrafted doesn't mean anything. Girardi is a great dman.

Last edited by UlfNilsson: 11-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.
UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

And he has certainly earned the A on his chest. That two on one he broke up last night was awesome, he not only broke up the play but made an outlet pass in one motion.

Quietly he is piling up assists too.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Dan always starts strong ilke this. i would like to think he would keep it up, yes. This is his year for 40+ points i hope.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

In my heart I say no, very few D can play his minutes through an entire season. But I sure as hell wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Swedish Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I am not sure if I would be so keen on splitting up him and Staal when he comes back because they have such good chemistry, but at the same time it could be a good thing if they split up some ice time. Hopefully DZ can take some of the ice time through the PP, PK and ES.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
UlfNilsson

Don't forget - when/if Staal comes back this season it's going to take some time for him to get back into the swing of things. He won't be able to play 25+ minutes a game right off the bat.

Girardi has been solid as hell. Poised, good decision making, smooth skating, great passing. I don't remember any flubs so far this season.

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not a single "that's what she said" remark in this entire thread. damn, the mods MUST be cracking down! (im sure this will get edited, possibly deleted, but meh, ppl are way too serious these days)

personally, i think Girardi is playing way over his head right now. i think the minutes are going to wear him down, and by seasons end, if Staal doesnt come back, Girardi will be completely worn down to the point of being a detriment. He's playing WAY too many minutes, and I think Torts can't get Staal here quick enough.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:10 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
DG just keeps getting better. /Thread

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Did anyone else notice his ice time drop dramatically with the return of Sauer? 30 minutes a night to 22-25. When our D is finished and healthy...

I mean DAMN

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not a single "that's what she said" remark in this entire thread. damn, the mods MUST be cracking down! (im sure this will get edited, possibly deleted, but meh, ppl are way too serious these days)

personally, i think Girardi is playing way over his head right now. i think the minutes are going to wear him down, and by seasons end, if Staal doesnt come back, Girardi will be completely worn down to the point of being a detriment. He's playing WAY too many minutes, and I think Torts can't get Staal here quick enough.
YES! I was almost starting to lose faith in humanity

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Superstar Carwash

The thing with Girardi is that he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that TAKES extra responsibility, but when he's GIVEN it, he just keeps performing like it was natural. He doesn't go out of his way to be awesome doing crazy plays. He does his job and he does it well. With key players like Staal out of the lineup he gets extra ice time, and just keeps performing like it's the easiest thing in the world.

It's a shame really, cause if he had a more flamboyant personality he would get much more attention. He's been playing like an All-Star this year and I really hope he gets considered for the game.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
If any player can keep it up, I don't see why Dan Girardi can't. He's a player who relies on his smarts rather than pure physicality or effort to play at a high level. Also, I've read that he's one of the fitter players on the team. There will be ups and downs all season, I'm sure, but I don't think fatigue will bring him down.

On a slightly OT tangent: does anyone remember him in Juniors? What was he like and why did he get passed over when he was eligible for the draft? I barely remember us signing him, but do I recall correctly that he was considered a pretty good prize as an undrafted free agent? What other teams were interested in him?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Yes, he will. Honestly I don't even think Staal is "clearly" better than Girardi. They both make mistakes sometimes, but they can both step up on their own when needed.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

With all the minutes he's playing, I can't see him keeping up this level of play. If Staal isn't back by the time Girardi runs out of gas, we'll be in trouble.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

IMO Girardi has been playing this way for the past few years, the majority of the time. I think he has been under rated/appreciated for the most part.

I'm quite shocked at the response in this thread tbh.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
IMO Girardi has been playing this way for the past few years, the majority of the time. I think he has been under rated/appreciated for the most part.

I'm quite shocked at the response in this thread tbh.
I think everyone just kept talking about Staal last season just because of his name and completely ignored Girardi as usual. Remember all the trade proposals people kept coming up with here? It seemed everyone (well not everyone) wanted to trade Girardi because they thought "he's the odd man out".

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote