HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Attendances after ~10 games [wrong ESPN figures / correct figures in OP]

Old
11-02-2011, 09:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to bash Atlanta, as I feel bad for all the fans there and know how you guys feel being from MN, but Winnipeg is a totally different situation. They're at capacity and have way higher ticket prices. They would sell out the Bell right now if they had that much room.
I don't disagree with that.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Is Dallas' ownership situation really taking that much of a toll on their attendance? Columbus and Phoenix I can understand, but Dallas is a big surprise.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Flyers up near the top like usual.

Ho hum.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezRadar View Post
The Stars have embedded themselves way too much here.

Sure you may see our team from the outside but what you guys don't see is a whole set of other factors.

The Stars are headquartered in Frisco a suburb of Dallas and the Stars are branded into the Dr. Pepper Stars Arena up there where the Texas Tornado play. Likewise it is used as an arena for shows like Cirque de Soleil and other events.

On top of that the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex has a multitude of Dr. Pepper Stars Centers which are hockey rinks that house amateur hockey teams that people can sign up and play as well as free skates/lessons etc. The Stars practice mainly in the Frisco one but they bounce around to other locations occasionally for practice as well.

There are lots of things invested into the branding for the Stars here in Texas and it has thrived and really made Dallas into a fairly powerful hockey market in the South.

The issue with ticket sales as of late has to do with us being bankrupt. Even when the team wasn't performing well we still sold tickets to the 15,000 sold range. We just have ZERO advertising due to not being able to spend ANYTHING on advertising. We also have zero ticket promotions. Last year we had them.. this year we have none. No coupon codes.. nothing. Those always brought people into the door. The current president who has a history residing over bankrupt teams cares about ensuring season ticket holders feel their seats are valuable. Unfortunately this notion means that he refuses to do ticket promotions to put more butts in seats. He also refuses to offer good incentives for Season Ticket Holders so we are currently at an all time low on season ticket holders.

Our former president loved promotions and guess where he is now? Nashville.. and guess how their attendance is this year? A TON better than last year.

Once we get our new owner in.. most of this will be resolved. Huge hits will be made this year on his book but starting next year he will begin to make nice promotional changes that should really help benefit the team.
Wanted to thank you for some great info.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Lshap

As a Canadian, I've been a long-time fan of expansion into the U.S.. Not only is it great for the league's bottom line, but it gives hockey a foothold into the best market on the planet, creating a real North American fan base.

Sure, losing a huge market like Atlanta really stung (although Winnipeg is flying with their new franchise), but look at the amazing progress in other fresh markets like Nashville. Meanwhile, places we'd never have considered to be hockey towns continue to thrive, like L.A., Tampa, Dallas and San Jose. This is great news.

I'm proud of the role Canada played in developing the game, but I'm even prouder that it's caught on in the U.S. and the Russian and Scandinavian countries.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
The Hamilton that can't even sell out AHL playoff games?
It's funny that AHL is used as a marker for NHL worthiness of a new market. I can see how it is really the only empirical value to use when an AHL team is in that particular market..

But at the same time, I go to plenty of NHL games here in Ottawa, but if they had an AHL team and not an NHL team, I wouldn't never go, I have zero interest in AHL hockey

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:34 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
It's funny that AHL is used as a marker for NHL worthiness of a new market. I can see how it is really the only empirical value to use when an AHL team is in that particular market..

But at the same time, I go to plenty of NHL games here in Ottawa, but if they had an AHL team and not an NHL team, I wouldn't never go, I have zero interest in AHL hockey
IMO, AHL attendance is only significant when the owners of the AHL team are the ones looking to purchase an NHL team.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
hockeyfanatico
Rookie User

Chicago has shot up to the top. Amazing what the team has done for hockey in that city. Great for the sport.

hockeyfanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:00 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Didn't expect Buffalo to be so low. Are the Bills affecting attendance?
They sold out every game. The ESPN numbers are wrong.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatico View Post
Chicago has shot up to the top. Amazing what the team has done for hockey in that city. Great for the sport.
More like it's an indication of how low previous owner shoved the franchise into the gutter. Individual was like Harold Ballard's twin brother.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Didn't read all 10 pages, so forgive me if it's already been stated:

1. I am surprised, given the economic climate in many of these cities, that they're pulling in these kinds of numbers. It's not cheap taking the family to a game.

Kudos to ALL of the teams for bringing the fans to the arena.

2. I am also surprised that Florida isn't closer to the bottom. Especially given the decade-long screwing the fans have received.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't disagree with that.
Why did they move in the first place. I was to young to grasp that situation.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Why did they move in the first place. I was to young to grasp that situation.
The same reason why Harry Frazee had to sell Babe Ruth the Yankees back in 1920.

Basically the Flames owner was bankrupt. He was forced to sell the team, and the new owners moved the team to Calgary. The Atlanta Flames were definitely not failing as an organization. The owner was just in financial trouble so he sold the team.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
The Atlanta Flames were definitely not failing as an organization. The owner was just in financial trouble so he sold the team.
Yup a > .500 club making the playoffs for a number of seasons. That team was definately heading in the right direction. Too bad the Thrashers weren't that.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
Flyers up near the top like usual.

Ho hum.
It is the fifth-most-populous city in the United States,[3] with a 2010 U.S. Census estimated population of 1,526,006.[4] Philadelphia is also the commercial, cultural, and educational center of the Delaware Valley, home to 6 million people and the country's fifth-largest metropolitan area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia

Nice, but I would not break my arm patting yourselves on the back. If you can not get 19,000 out of six million to see a hockey game, you are doing something wrong. You likely could get 19,000 out of six million to almost anything. It is one reason why these threads about attendance being used to praise or bash annoy me. Yeah, yeah, you can get a lot of people out in a market the size of Philly, but there are not that many of those. Tell me how we are doing beyond a place that big and we can see the health of the sport. Tell me how we can grow the sport in markets that are more challenging. And these figures overall bode well for the current sport and its health, but we still have work to do.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Stickmata

Detroit's number are total BS. Management must be "selling" 5,000 tickets to hobos for $1 every game, because the Joe has a ton of empty seats every game. No way in hell they are selling out that place every game without some shenanigans by Management.

Dallas doesn't surprise me at all. That arena has been a ghost town for over a year. Fairest weather fans in the world live in Dallas. Win, the fans come. Struggle a bit, they don't. At least they report accurately.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:24 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Is Dallas' ownership situation really taking that much of a toll on their attendance? Columbus and Phoenix I can understand, but Dallas is a big surprise.
The World Series undoubtedly took a toll on their attendance numbers as well