HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Emelin

Old
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Thats the error this club is doing for years... keep the same type of players (small skilled).

Diaz is like Weber. We don t need both of them IMO
Look,

Habs don't need to ship ANY of Le Jeune Veber, Emelin, or Diaz out.

Gill is likely out next year.. and who knows, maybe Gorges signs somewhere else.. etc.

Having skillful puck-moving D-men is something the habs lacked the last few years. Now they have a little surplus, enjoy it, it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't agree with it either, I'm just saying it's what I would expect from the Habs
Good point...

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-02-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: merge
BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Look,

Gill is likely out next year.. and who knows, maybe Gorges signs somewhere else.. etc.

Having skillful puck-moving D-men is something the habs lacked the last few years. Now they have a little surplus, enjoy it, it's a good thing.
and so is Spacek and Campoli. Agreed we don't really need to move anyone unless some team is offering something we can't refuse

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
and so is Spacek and Campoli. Agreed we don't really need to move anyone unless some team is offering something we can't refuse
A lot of people talk/talked trash about the habs lack of young D talent, but it's not an issue for the foreseeable future anymore if they(Gauthier) don't get crazy and ship young D out for spare parts.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Gally11

JM also doesn't change lineup until a loss so even if he wanted to put him in semi regularly he wouldn't until after a loss

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:50 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
PK's been pretty reckless of late. Nothing wrong with having him skip his turn once in a while

And his ridiculous wind-ups have got to go
That ridiculous wind-up got him 10 PP goals last year, tops amongst all defensemen in the NHL. Sorry if you don't like it, but it works.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
JM also doesn't change lineup until a loss so even if he wanted to put him in semi regularly he wouldn't until after a loss
He didn't put Emelin back in after the loss to Florida.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
That ridiculous wind-up got him 10 PP goals last year, tops amongst all defensemen in the NHL. Sorry if you don't like it, but it works.
Wrong tense

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I will be greatly enraged if Emelin is traded or goes back to Russia because of Martin.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Evil Ted

This guy was so overrated for so long before he came to NA by habs fans, now hes here has played pretty poorly people are still defending him? Trade him if he has value otherwise let him go back to Russia.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
This guy was so overrated for so long before he came to NA by habs fans, now hes here has played pretty poorly people are still defending him? Trade him if he has value otherwise let him go back to Russia.
Except he didn't play poorly. He played better than Spacek or Gill, we had a losing streak and he was the victim despite the Hal Gill-Diaz pairing being to blame for most of the goals against. Emelin twice had giveaways that led directly to goals. Emelin then twice created goals later in the game for our team because of them. He also doesn't take cheating penalties like hooks and holds like every single other one of our defencemen.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Lshap

Quote:
A lot of people talk/talked trash about the habs lack of young D talent, but it's not an issue for the foreseeable future anymore if they(Gauthier) don't get crazy and ship young D out for spare parts.
Agreed. But to a lot of people, the grass is always greener (or more orange, in your case) on the other team's roster. We have a really good nucleus that just needs a little time to improve.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I don't know what games you watched, certainly not the one Emelin played in.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How has he played "pretty poorly"? He's been making a good first pass, played solid defensively in his own end and started to show a physical edge before being scratched in favor of Spacek. I have no issue with him being in and out this year, but he shouldn't sit for 3 weeks at a time. IMHO he brings more to the table than Diaz.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
habitue*

So is it Emelin or Yemelin ?

I think Yemelin played OK and he will improve through the year. No need to play him full time right now.

And IF Emelin is not happy about his ice time, he can just go back to the KHL, an inferior league.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Gill, yes. Diaz, no.

Diaz is improving every game and has adapted well to the North American style of play. Emelin is physical, which Diaz is not, but at the same time appears to be intimidated. His positioning also needs working on. Diaz is a notch above Emelin in every aspect of the game, except physicality.
Physicality is an asset if not a necessity for a Dman. However, who would argue that Gill, Spacek, or Gorges surpasses Emelin in the basic skills needed for hockey?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
He had to go to the Islanders, a complete joke of a franchise at that time, to get that opportunity. No one in the world thought Streit was a # 1 D. Sucks that we lost him, but Gainey didn't think the guy was worth $4 million. Can't say I did either.

All rookies have to sign a two-way contract. There will be no waivers, he simply is not eligible for waivers, so please drop this. Out clauses with the go-to-Russia-free card are purely a myth at this point as well. He might have been able to return if Montreal tried to cut him at the start of the season, but now that he's made the team and played in the NHL he can't simply jump back to Russia if they try to send him to Hamilton.

But it's in everyone's best interest to keep him in Montreal and work him into the lineup on a semi-regular basis.
The IIHF does not honor any contracts between the KHL/NHL. Emelin would have a problem if he decided to bolt NOW. He WANTS to play in the NHL. It's arbitrated in his contract, that he can leave if sent to the AHL. It had to do with the economies of scale. Emelin plays in Russia, he makes a whole lot more than 100 G's a year. If he goes to Hamiltonmind this, he's as good as gone.
Furthermore, the HABS agreed that Emelin has the right to go back to Russia if sent down.

However, he also has it that he can bolt at the end of year as well. You are completely correct in saying it is in everyone's best interests to work him in the line-up.

But for all those saying he's not up to speed et. all, keep this in mind:

26 J. Gorges 11 GP 0G, 6A 6Pts +6 13 Shots.
10 H 30 BS = 40/11 = 3.64 17:02 ES TOI 3:35 SHTOI 0:06 PPTOI all points 5 on 5.
IMO He's been our best defenceman, and the stats are showing a solid showing through 11.

68 Y.Weber 11 GP 2G, 3A 5Pts +6 21 Shots 6 H 9 BS = 15/11 = 1.36 14:43 ES TOI 1:58 SHTOI 3:30 PPTOI. 2 Goals, 1 Assist on PP time, leaving 2 assists on ES
His numbers are showing some good runs with the Habs. He looks like he's finally sticking with the big club, in a position that he wants. He's still going to have to work on his defensive game IMHO... His numbers are depicting that

61 R. Diaz 11 GP 1 G 2 A 3 Pts -1 13 SOG 5 Hits 26 Blocked Shots = 31/11= 2.81 Defensive opportunities in a game. 15:16 ES TOI 0:36 SHTOI 2:26 PPTOI. 1G 1A came on PP leaving 1 A on ES.IMO the consensus is right, he HAS fit in very well, and IMO is pushing Weber to play even better, due to their similarities. He has very positive overall stats for a guy playing his FIRST 11 games in the NHL. He may not be a defensive juggernaut, but the stats indicate, he's not afraid to put his body in front of the puck.

75 H. Gill 11 GP 1 A 1 Pt -3 7 SOG 12 H 28 BS = 40/11 = 3.64 14:21 ES TOI 3:33 SHTOI 0:06 PPTOI. The assist was on ES.
Gill is playing 5/6 + On the PK. His PK work has been exemplary in the past, but he's putting up typical Gill like #'s. He's a warhorse who's been through the battles, and his work will be for the playoffs. He is IMO going to be more effective going forward in a rotational duty (Going to 6/7). Point is, he's definately an asset, because of his abilities against the puck, but IMO he gets better when faced with showdowns, and gets exposed by speed in the game to game situations.

76 PK Subban 11 GP 0G 3A 3Pts -3 35 SOG 10 H 13 BS = 23/11 = 2.09 16:40 ES TOI 3:10 SHTOI 3:57 PPTOI. 1 Assist on PP, 2 Assists ES.His numbers IMO are looking rough, and I believe it can show the struggles he's had being the flat out # 1. He's an emotional on-ice leader for the habs, and IMO has done OK considering the workload he's had, and the subsequent inconsistency in the game.

Limited time players:

Emelin 6 GP 0 Pts -2 6 SOG 14 H 8 BS = 22/6 = 3.67 15:17 ES TOI 0:18 SHTOI 0:21 PPTOI.
Defensive stats are definately up there. Hits wise, he's leading the team. Was playing in the slump period, and his offensive #'s are indicative of that (0Pts, -2). Emelin IMO has shown enough to warrant more playing time IMO. He hasnt NOT fit in, he may just hasn't filled in as... Nicely? Regardless to say, IMO he should be in for Friday's game. It's time for some one else to sit, and for us to see further what Emelin can do. Maybe they told him to work on physical timing, as he looks a little overblown about the fact that he's on NHL ice at times, more in awe, thereby not delivering the hits that make him so menacing. The whole NA experience must be shocking for him.
6 J. Spacek 6 GP 2 A 2 Pts +2 2 SOG 5 H 20 BS = 25/6 =4.17 12:52 ES TOI 1:30 SHTOI 0:06 PPTOI. Both assists were even strength. This may be a bit of a stretch, and I think he's been awesome in his return. It is his veteran presence that calms this corps down, and gives them the ability to play well. Im going to be hnest here, but the biggest benefactor to Hamrlik going to Washington is going to be Space goat. He's finally counted on for a defined role, and if JM was smart enough to give him some PP time, he might have a really good year, and help us out. I'd put him with Weber on the third pairing, and switch him out with Gill if we were healthy, and he looked tired.
Campoli 1 GP 0Pts, 2 SOG 0 H 1 BS = 1/1 = 1.00 9:27 ES TOI 0:00SHTOI 1:38 PPTOI
Clearly, it sucked when he went down, but believe it or not, if he didnt (along with Spacek's injury) I dont think we would have been 1-5-2. Too many question marks to slot him in anywhere while he is recovering IMO.

Based on what I am looking at via the line up...

There's no reason why we SHOULDNT be rotating our defencemen around. Aside from Gorges, Subban, and Weber and Spacek, the others should be platooning until Markov comes in. I think Emelin playing with a defensive partner, with no language barrier, AND being a defenceman to look up to (Markov is admired in Russia, this would be exciting for him for sure IMO), combined with the fact that he is comfortable playing the RS, it would be a great experience for the 2 of them. Markov is going to need limited minutes going in to the line up, and I can see that as truly being Emelin's chance to play alongside his countryman.

Gorges - Subban
Spacek - Weber
Markov - Emelin (as Markov imroves, he can move up, but Emelin will probably be able to keep up with him )

Gill Spare, rotates in & out.

Diaz to the AHL (due to roster cap specifications, Diaz is the only one it doesnt hurt to send to the AHL).

Campoli on IR... I dont know how long, but he will IMO force Gauthier to swing a deal involving a defenceman. IMO MAYBE even 2, if Diaz is completely ready to come back up to the NHL.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:52 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Except he didn't play poorly. He played better than Spacek or Gill, we had a losing streak and he was the victim despite the Hal Gill-Diaz pairing being to blame for most of the goals against. Emelin twice had giveaways that led directly to goals. Emelin then twice created goals later in the game for our team because of them. He also doesn't take cheating penalties like hooks and holds like every single other one of our defencemen.
You have an unhealthy obssession with a marginal player.

Emelin wasn't too bad, but was outplayed by everyone not named Gill. I think we should give him some icetime this year so he can be ready for a #6 or #7 role next years. But in the end we are talking about a marginal player.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

Emelin wasn't too bad, but was outplayed by everyone not named Gill. I think we should give him some icetime this year so he can be ready for a #6 or #7 role next years. But in the end we are talking about a marginal player.
Emelin is not a marginal player. Every game he played I noticed some good stuff, whether it was a hit or a pass. I wish he'd play more often.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:

If Emelin was smaller and did a deke every now and then everyone would be on his nuts. He played better than Diaz did in pre-season and regular season.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
If Emelin was smaller and did a deke every now and then everyone would be on his nuts. He played better than Diaz did in pre-season and regular season.
Emelin needs to work on his positionning, adapt to the system and work on his english to have a better communication with his teammates.. While Emelin was better and looked more promising than Diaz at the begin of the camp, their progression has been different.. Diaz didnt stop improving while Emelin has been rather stagnant..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 11-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Belso

Ya, I'm not too happy about him not playing.. You can't give a guy a few games and expect the world from him.. I'd have him play instead of Diaz or as some would say at least rotate the guys...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:12 PM
HCH

Quote:

Except you have NO idea if he is a marginal player or not

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Look,

Good point...
its all about the Balance.

Next year we have:

Markov - Emelin

Subban - Weber

Diaz - ???

I just hope that ??? is a big punishing D

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:17 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
its all about the Balance.

Next year we have:

Markov - Emelin

Subban - Weber

Diaz - ???

I just hope that ??? is a big punishing D
That ??? is like Gorges.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:31 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What is he supposed to do put Alexei Emelin ahead of the interest of the team as a whole?

The team is winning at the moment. He has to go with the D-men that allow him to win. Simple as that.
I know what you mean and I agree with this to an extent , but:

1. We would probably be winning with Emelin in also, half the time platooning with Diaz.

2. JM has TWO responsibilities, winning yes, but also player development. He must look after both short and long term interests the best he can.If he can't handle both of the these responsibilities, than he is not fit to coach in the NHL.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote