HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 10 vs. San Jose Sharks

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 7 4.58%
Marty Biron 20 13.07%
Ryan Callahan 144 94.12%
Erik Christensen 37 24.18%
Michael Del Zotto 18 11.76%
Andre Deveaux 9 5.88%
Brandon Dubinsky 52 33.99%
Marian Gaborik 12 7.84%
Dan Girardi 49 32.03%
Ryan McDonagh 33 21.57%
Brad Richards 12 7.84%
Michael Sauer 3 1.96%
Derek Stepan 8 5.23%
Wojtek Wolski 29 18.95%
Other 2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
DVRed the game and just watched it again. Two players that stuck out to me, Wolski, MDZ.

Both players really need to be confident to be effective and I saw that from them last night. Del Zotto needs to focus on keeping his game simple. Wolski needs to focus on keeping his effort consistent. They both had multiple scoring chances. Wolski was around the net all night. He needs to stay there. Del Zotto was making plays and ripping that shot of his. Playing with Richards on he PP could be huge for him and the team.

It's just one game for Wolski. Del Zotto appears to be well on his way to getting his game back on track. But here are two players that if they are successful this year, could really boost the team as a whole.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Callahan4C

tortorella on big joes comments

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=598544

Just read this article thought it was interesting on what he had to say

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Listen the McDonagh interview. He handles the whole Joe comment perfectly.

11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
gotta love Torts

Last edited by Killem Dafoe: 11-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Listen the McDonagh interview. He handles the whole Joe comment perfectly.
You can see just how mature he is from how he handled that.

He's a true professional already.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not arguing whether Tortorella is right or wrong, Im arguing about how utterly silly it is to have a head coach in the NHL lower himself down to a petty war of words with an opposing player.

His reply last night, especially considering they won the game, was perfect. To turn around the next day and start going off is stupid and just as classless as Thornton's original comment.
you contradicted yourself actually. you ARE saying it's wrong by stating that it was stupid and classless!

When they first told him about Thorton's comments after the game, wonderful was his initial response, because he was boiling inside...
After a day to think about it, Thorton's statement deserved a response that was more fitting by a coach who's team was insulted by
a high profile star captain in the sport.

Tortorella is a man of honor. when you go outside the honor code, "all bets are off". I love it when people want to "chain you to ethics' while they proceed to abide by their own rules.

Thorton is a notorious crybaby and showed poor sportsmanship by going to the media with a comment like that. Tortorella merely reminded him that went outside the realm of acceptability.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
you contradicted yourself actually. you ARE saying it's wrong by stating that it was stupid and classless!

When they first told him about Thorton's comments after the game, wonderful was his initial response, because he was boiling inside...
After a day to think about it, Thorton's statement deserved a response that was more fitting by a coach who's team was insulted by
a high profile star captain in the sport.

Tortorella is a man of honor. when you go outside the honor code, "all bets are off". I love it when people want to "chain you to ethics' while they proceed to abide by their own rules.

Thorton is a notorious crybaby and showed poor sportsmanship by going to the media with a comment like that. Tortorella merely reminded him that went outside the realm of acceptability.
No contradiction whatsoever. I already stated Im not concerned with right or wrong here, and I'll freely admit that both statements were dumb and classless.

If anything is a contradicition here its saying "Tortorella is a man or honor.....unless hes prompted to not be one"

Its a problem that I've had with Torts since he's gotten here. I expect a head coach in the national hockey league to be above the fray when it comes to this kind of petty stuff - to handle himself like a professional and not a fan.

I understand why fans eat this kind of **** up - because its exactly what they'd want to say to Thornton. Just my personal opinion that a coach shouldnt be subjecting himself to that type of stuff.

The fact that he slept on it and decided to unleash those comments on Thornton the following day makes it even more strange.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Torts is defending his team. Joe should have kept his mouth shut. period.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
Torts is defending his team. Joe should have kept his mouth shut. period.
Yup thats all there is to it.

They BOTH should have kept their mouth shut, how about that?

Old
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Callahan4C

Quote:

They should have but joe opened his and our coach defended his team simple as that

Old
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan4C View Post
They should have but joe opened his and our coach defended his team simple as that
You know how they say retalitory penalities are the worst you can possibly take?

Well, thats how I feel about this situation.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
The fact that he slept on it and decided to unleash those comments on Thornton the following day makes it even more strange.
Why does this mean anything?

He could have taken 2 weeks to respond and the same message would apply...Joe Thornton's comments were unneccesary, they were insulting, and they were ironic given that he himself is labeled as being soft for not producing up to his potential in the playoffs.

Not only that, they were gutless, since he knows he's most likely not going to have answer for those comments this season. He deserved to get called out and I'm fine with Tortorella doing it.

When I get home I'm going to see if I can find the video of Lindros handing Thornton a nice whoopin.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Callahan4C

Quote:
You know how they say retalitory penalities are the worst you can possibly take?

Very true but I feel if someone is going to say something like that someone needs to step up and say something back.... I feel as if it was like someone talking bad about your family obviously your going to say something back

Old
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

Retaliatory penalties are only bad because they are penalties. Retaliation itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Why does this mean anything?

Because it would've been a little more understandable and less childish if he made the comments in the heat of the moment right after the game (you know, kinda like Thornton did).

Whatever, I know Im not going to change people's minds. Like I said, fans are going to eat up what Tortorella said because they relate to it. But the older I get, the more respect I have for a suitable code of conduct in a professional atmosphere.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Because it would've been a little more understandable and less childish if he made the comments in the heat of the moment right after the game (you know, kinda like Thornton did).

Whatever, I know Im not going to change people's minds. Like I said, fans are going to eat up what Tortorella said because they relate to it. But the older I get, the more respect I have for a suitable code of conduct in a professional atmosphere.
I disagree. I think it would have been more childish to have acted in the heat of the moment and said something that you regretted. What Torts did was the opposite. He obviously considered it and decided he wanted to elaborate the next day.

Suitable code of conduct? This is hockey. It's not tea time at the British consulate.
Thornton did something highly irregular and insulting. He got a suitable response to his comment.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I disagree. I think it would have been more childish to have acted in the heat of the moment and said something that you regretted. What Torts did was the opposite. He obviously considered it and decided he wanted to elaborate the next day.

Suitable code of conduct? This is hockey. It's not tea time at the British consulate.
Thornton did something highly irregular and insulting. He got a suitable response to his comment.
Its hockey at a management level when you're a coach. Like Tortorella said in the video I posted - he is not in the battle. Forgive me if I think that position should be a little bit higher-brow than a player.

As for the timing, we'll agree to disagree on that one. The fact that he considered his reply and the result was unleashing that tirade on Thornton is what worries me.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Its hockey at a management level when you're a coach. Like Tortorella said in the video I posted - he is not in the battle. Forgive me if I think that position should be a little bit higher-brow than a player.

As for the timing, we'll agree to disagree on that one. The fact that he considered his reply and the result was unleashing that tirade on Thornton is what worries me.
Can't see the clip right now but I'm going to assume it's relating to the Hitchcock exchange? If so, that's not the same as this situation. In that case, Hitchcock was yapping at Torts players during the games. This is different. It's said by a player after the game was over, when he knew he wouldn't have to play them again in the regular season.

The "battle" in this instance is over. Thornton issued a condemning statement about the team...Tortorella's team. It's also somewhat of a fragile team right now and all Torts did was basically tell Thornton to **** off...nothing more.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I can't understand how a grown man being himself "worries" you.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Can't see the clip right now but I'm going to assume it's relating to the Hitchcock exchange? If so, that's not the same as this situation. In that case, Hitchcock was yapping at Torts players during the games. This is different. It's said by a player after the game was over, when he knew he wouldn't have to play them again in the regular season.

The "battle" in this instance is over. Thornton issued a condemning statement about the team...Tortorella's team. It's also somewhat of a fragile team right now and all Torts did was basically tell Thornton to **** off...nothing more.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I can't understand how a grown man being himself "worries" you.
Because Ive never gotten the sense that hes really in control of his emotions - and in this instance, its not how a "grown man" should be reacting to this situation. Just my opinion.

If he wanted to elaborate on his comments, stick with the "Wonderful" comment and move on. Maybe add in a "I hope we're that soft every game" or something innocent like that - and move on. IMO, Tortorella went wildly overboard in his response, and its just a silly, needless thing to do.

Forgive me for trying to look at situations objectively. I know thats a wild notion sometimes on this board. But an opposing coach would be getting absolutely ROASTED around here if they said that in response to something Avery said.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Because Ive never gotten the sense that hes really in control of his emotions - and in this instance, its not how a "grown man" should be reacting to this situation. Just my opinion.

If he wanted to elaborate on his comments, stick with the "Wonderful" comment and move on. Maybe add in a "I hope we're that soft every game" or something innocent like that - and move on. IMO, Tortorella went wildly overboard in his response, and its just a silly, needless thing to do.

Forgive me for trying to look at situations objectively. I know thats a wild notion sometimes on this board. But an opposing coach would be getting absolutely ROASTED around here if they said that in response to something Avery said.
That's definitely your opinion. There's plenty of very informed people that feel differently than you do about the man and his ability to control his emotions.

Here's one:

Bobby Taylor, Lightning TV analyst: “Torts, to me, as volatile and passionate as he was and how sometimes he would say things out of the passion of the moment, never let his heart overrule his head."

http://thebiofile.com/2011/03/how-th...orts-in-tampa/

I believe someone had posted some comments from Jay Feaster also in this thread.

And your objectivity is highly questionable when you continue to attack his personality.
You don't like him personally? Fine. Doesn't behave like a good boy the way you'd like him to? OK. But don't pretend like you're being objective.

And I will once again disagree with you and your comment about Avery. I mean of all players to pick here... There are fans on this board who will take any opportunity to criticize him. But that doesn't really even matter. It could have been Callahan that said the same thing and people would be annoyed. Wrong is wrong.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:

no. Torts reacted and defended his team. Joe shouldn't have said anything in the first place. i find it silly that you are arguing this here. or at all.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
no. Torts reacted and defended his team. Joe shouldn't have said anything in the first place. i find it silly that you are arguing this here. or at all.
Well...if you find it silly it must be.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Well...if you find it silly it must be.
this guy gets it.