HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 10 vs. San Jose Sharks

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 7 4.58%
Marty Biron 20 13.07%
Ryan Callahan 144 94.12%
Erik Christensen 37 24.18%
Michael Del Zotto 18 11.76%
Andre Deveaux 9 5.88%
Brandon Dubinsky 52 33.99%
Marian Gaborik 12 7.84%
Dan Girardi 49 32.03%
Ryan McDonagh 33 21.57%
Brad Richards 12 7.84%
Michael Sauer 3 1.96%
Derek Stepan 8 5.23%
Wojtek Wolski 29 18.95%
Other 2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
  #276
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,071
vCash: 500
DVRed the game and just watched it again. Two players that stuck out to me, Wolski, MDZ.

Both players really need to be confident to be effective and I saw that from them last night. Del Zotto needs to focus on keeping his game simple. Wolski needs to focus on keeping his effort consistent. They both had multiple scoring chances. Wolski was around the net all night. He needs to stay there. Del Zotto was making plays and ripping that shot of his. Playing with Richards on he PP could be huge for him and the team.

It's just one game for Wolski. Del Zotto appears to be well on his way to getting his game back on track. But here are two players that if they are successful this year, could really boost the team as a whole.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
  #277
Callahan4C
Registered User
 
Callahan4C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
tortorella on big joes comments

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=598544


Just read this article thought it was interesting on what he had to say

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
  #278
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Listen the McDonagh interview. He handles the whole Joe comment perfectly.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
  #279
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,182
vCash: 50
gotta love Torts


Last edited by Killem Dafoe: 11-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
  #280
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Listen the McDonagh interview. He handles the whole Joe comment perfectly.
You can see just how mature he is from how he handled that.

He's a true professional already.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
  #281
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not arguing whether Tortorella is right or wrong, Im arguing about how utterly silly it is to have a head coach in the NHL lower himself down to a petty war of words with an opposing player.

His reply last night, especially considering they won the game, was perfect. To turn around the next day and start going off is stupid and just as classless as Thornton's original comment.
you contradicted yourself actually. you ARE saying it's wrong by stating that it was stupid and classless!

When they first told him about Thorton's comments after the game, wonderful was his initial response, because he was boiling inside...
After a day to think about it, Thorton's statement deserved a response that was more fitting by a coach who's team was insulted by
a high profile star captain in the sport.

Tortorella is a man of honor. when you go outside the honor code, "all bets are off". I love it when people want to "chain you to ethics' while they proceed to abide by their own rules.

Thorton is a notorious crybaby and showed poor sportsmanship by going to the media with a comment like that. Tortorella merely reminded him that went outside the realm of acceptability.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
  #282
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
you contradicted yourself actually. you ARE saying it's wrong by stating that it was stupid and classless!

When they first told him about Thorton's comments after the game, wonderful was his initial response, because he was boiling inside...
After a day to think about it, Thorton's statement deserved a response that was more fitting by a coach who's team was insulted by
a high profile star captain in the sport.

Tortorella is a man of honor. when you go outside the honor code, "all bets are off". I love it when people want to "chain you to ethics' while they proceed to abide by their own rules.

Thorton is a notorious crybaby and showed poor sportsmanship by going to the media with a comment like that. Tortorella merely reminded him that went outside the realm of acceptability.
No contradiction whatsoever. I already stated Im not concerned with right or wrong here, and I'll freely admit that both statements were dumb and classless.

If anything is a contradicition here its saying "Tortorella is a man or honor.....unless hes prompted to not be one"

Its a problem that I've had with Torts since he's gotten here. I expect a head coach in the national hockey league to be above the fray when it comes to this kind of petty stuff - to handle himself like a professional and not a fan.

I understand why fans eat this kind of **** up - because its exactly what they'd want to say to Thornton. Just my personal opinion that a coach shouldnt be subjecting himself to that type of stuff.

The fact that he slept on it and decided to unleash those comments on Thornton the following day makes it even more strange.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
  #283
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,182
vCash: 50
Torts is defending his team. Joe should have kept his mouth shut. period.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:04 PM
  #284
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
Torts is defending his team. Joe should have kept his mouth shut. period.
Yup thats all there is to it.

They BOTH should have kept their mouth shut, how about that?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
  #285
Callahan4C
Registered User
 
Callahan4C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yup thats all there is to it.

They BOTH should have kept their mouth shut, how about that?
They should have but joe opened his and our coach defended his team simple as that

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
  #286
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan4C View Post
They should have but joe opened his and our coach defended his team simple as that
You know how they say retalitory penalities are the worst you can possibly take?

Well, thats how I feel about this situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:13 PM
  #287
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The fact that he slept on it and decided to unleash those comments on Thornton the following day makes it even more strange.
Why does this mean anything?

He could have taken 2 weeks to respond and the same message would apply...Joe Thornton's comments were unneccesary, they were insulting, and they were ironic given that he himself is labeled as being soft for not producing up to his potential in the playoffs.

Not only that, they were gutless, since he knows he's most likely not going to have answer for those comments this season. He deserved to get called out and I'm fine with Tortorella doing it.

When I get home I'm going to see if I can find the video of Lindros handing Thornton a nice whoopin.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:16 PM
  #288
Callahan4C
Registered User
 
Callahan4C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You know how they say retalitory penalities are the worst you can possibly take?

Well, thats how I feel about this situation.
Very true but I feel if someone is going to say something like that someone needs to step up and say something back.... I feel as if it was like someone talking bad about your family obviously your going to say something back

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
  #289
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You know how they say retalitory penalities are the worst you can possibly take?

Well, thats how I feel about this situation.
Retaliatory penalties are only bad because they are penalties. Retaliation itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
  #290
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Why does this mean anything?

.
Because it would've been a little more understandable and less childish if he made the comments in the heat of the moment right after the game (you know, kinda like Thornton did).

Whatever, I know Im not going to change people's minds. Like I said, fans are going to eat up what Tortorella said because they relate to it. But the older I get, the more respect I have for a suitable code of conduct in a professional atmosphere.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
  #291
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Because it would've been a little more understandable and less childish if he made the comments in the heat of the moment right after the game (you know, kinda like Thornton did).

Whatever, I know Im not going to change people's minds. Like I said, fans are going to eat up what Tortorella said because they relate to it. But the older I get, the more respect I have for a suitable code of conduct in a professional atmosphere.
I disagree. I think it would have been more childish to have acted in the heat of the moment and said something that you regretted. What Torts did was the opposite. He obviously considered it and decided he wanted to elaborate the next day.

Suitable code of conduct? This is hockey. It's not tea time at the British consulate.
Thornton did something highly irregular and insulting. He got a suitable response to his comment.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
  #292
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I disagree. I think it would have been more childish to have acted in the heat of the moment and said something that you regretted. What Torts did was the opposite. He obviously considered it and decided he wanted to elaborate the next day.

Suitable code of conduct? This is hockey. It's not tea time at the British consulate.
Thornton did something highly irregular and insulting. He got a suitable response to his comment.
Its hockey at a management level when you're a coach. Like Tortorella said in the video I posted - he is not in the battle. Forgive me if I think that position should be a little bit higher-brow than a player.

As for the timing, we'll agree to disagree on that one. The fact that he considered his reply and the result was unleashing that tirade on Thornton is what worries me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
  #293
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its hockey at a management level when you're a coach. Like Tortorella said in the video I posted - he is not in the battle. Forgive me if I think that position should be a little bit higher-brow than a player.

As for the timing, we'll agree to disagree on that one. The fact that he considered his reply and the result was unleashing that tirade on Thornton is what worries me.
Can't see the clip right now but I'm going to assume it's relating to the Hitchcock exchange? If so, that's not the same as this situation. In that case, Hitchcock was yapping at Torts players during the games. This is different. It's said by a player after the game was over, when he knew he wouldn't have to play them again in the regular season.

The "battle" in this instance is over. Thornton issued a condemning statement about the team...Tortorella's team. It's also somewhat of a fragile team right now and all Torts did was basically tell Thornton to **** off...nothing more.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I can't understand how a grown man being himself "worries" you.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  #294
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Can't see the clip right now but I'm going to assume it's relating to the Hitchcock exchange? If so, that's not the same as this situation. In that case, Hitchcock was yapping at Torts players during the games. This is different. It's said by a player after the game was over, when he knew he wouldn't have to play them again in the regular season.

The "battle" in this instance is over. Thornton issued a condemning statement about the team...Tortorella's team. It's also somewhat of a fragile team right now and all Torts did was basically tell Thornton to **** off...nothing more.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I can't understand how a grown man being himself "worries" you.
Because Ive never gotten the sense that hes really in control of his emotions - and in this instance, its not how a "grown man" should be reacting to this situation. Just my opinion.

If he wanted to elaborate on his comments, stick with the "Wonderful" comment and move on. Maybe add in a "I hope we're that soft every game" or something innocent like that - and move on. IMO, Tortorella went wildly overboard in his response, and its just a silly, needless thing to do.

Forgive me for trying to look at situations objectively. I know thats a wild notion sometimes on this board. But an opposing coach would be getting absolutely ROASTED around here if they said that in response to something Avery said.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:03 PM
  #295
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Because Ive never gotten the sense that hes really in control of his emotions - and in this instance, its not how a "grown man" should be reacting to this situation. Just my opinion.

If he wanted to elaborate on his comments, stick with the "Wonderful" comment and move on. Maybe add in a "I hope we're that soft every game" or something innocent like that - and move on. IMO, Tortorella went wildly overboard in his response, and its just a silly, needless thing to do.

Forgive me for trying to look at situations objectively. I know thats a wild notion sometimes on this board. But an opposing coach would be getting absolutely ROASTED around here if they said that in response to something Avery said.
That's definitely your opinion. There's plenty of very informed people that feel differently than you do about the man and his ability to control his emotions.

Here's one:

Bobby Taylor, Lightning TV analyst: “Torts, to me, as volatile and passionate as he was and how sometimes he would say things out of the passion of the moment, never let his heart overrule his head."

http://thebiofile.com/2011/03/how-th...orts-in-tampa/

I believe someone had posted some comments from Jay Feaster also in this thread.


And your objectivity is highly questionable when you continue to attack his personality.
You don't like him personally? Fine. Doesn't behave like a good boy the way you'd like him to? OK. But don't pretend like you're being objective.

And I will once again disagree with you and your comment about Avery. I mean of all players to pick here... There are fans on this board who will take any opportunity to criticize him. But that doesn't really even matter. It could have been Callahan that said the same thing and people would be annoyed. Wrong is wrong.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:09 PM
  #296
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,182
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yup thats all there is to it.

They BOTH should have kept their mouth shut, how about that?
no. Torts reacted and defended his team. Joe shouldn't have said anything in the first place. i find it silly that you are arguing this here. or at all.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
  #297
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
no. Torts reacted and defended his team. Joe shouldn't have said anything in the first place. i find it silly that you are arguing this here. or at all.
Well...if you find it silly it must be.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
  #298
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,182
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Well...if you find it silly it must be.
this guy gets it.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.