HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gare takes stand against fighting

Old
11-02-2011, 08:42 AM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Gare takes stand against fighting

It's one thing for all of us to flap our gums on here, for or against fighting. When a guy who fought many times in the NHL takes a position, it carries a lot more weight.

Quote:
"The game is much quicker and much more skilled now. I would abolish fighting altogether." said Gare. "The game is too good for that right now. They want ballet on ice, not goons on ice and they are close to it, but they are hanging on to fighting and I don't understand it."
http://www.post-journal.com/page/con...-Fighting.html

Last edited by joshjull: 11-02-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: put the quote tags in
puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
joshjull

I agree to a point.

I'm not a fan of the "goon" dressing and staged fights. But I don't mind the players that play a rugged game getting into it when emotions boil over.

He sees it as a stylistic thing. Would have loved to have heard his actually comments. The ballet on ice thing could be taken a few ways.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
barcs

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you ban fighting? Suspend two guys who willingly drop the gloves? Fine them? Game misconduct?

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you ban fighting? Suspend two guys who willingly drop the gloves? Fine them? Game misconduct?
It's a great question.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 848
Quote:
The NCAA rules have work very well to eliminate fighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_in_ice_hockey
Quote:
In Division I & III NCAA hockey, the fighters are given a Game Disqualification, which is an ejection from the game and a suspension for as many games as the player has accrued Game Disqualifications during the course of a season.

For example, if a player engages in a fight having already received a Game Disqualification earlier in the season, he is ejected from that game and suspended for his team's next two games. This automatic suspension has made fighting in college hockey relatively rare.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Gnuguy

Quote:
It's worked in the NCAA and international game.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
jamers

My own personal opinion on fighting is mixed, as are many, I'm sure.

I do see fighting disappearing from the game within the next decade, however. It's hard to maintain such a strong stance on hits to the head while simultaneously allowing fights to occur. More and more ex-players, and in particular, ex-fighters, are coming down against it.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
My own personal opinion on fighting is mixed, as are many, I'm sure.

I do see fighting disappearing from the game within the next decade, however. It's hard to maintain such a strong stance on hits to the head while simultaneously allowing fights to occur. More and more ex-players, and in particular, ex-fighters, are coming down against it.
You may be right and I think big hits will be on their way out as well.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not so sure about that, but that may just be wishful thinking.

My ideal NHL would involve big, clean hits, rare but appropriate emotional fights with meaning, and gritty playoff series where detached offensive skill alone won't win anything.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards. In lieu of that I hope big hits stay in the game... we'll see.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

On the subject of big hits, I wonder to what extent an expanding of the ice surface would help. Decrease the congestion, speed up the game, make delivering a big hit really, in a sense, a very skilled move.

On the subject of fighting, I would like to see goons get erased, but fighting continue. I think a rule that automatically suspends someone (for a long period) with more than 3 fights in a season would do that dramatically. You still get a handful of passionate scraps, but nobody trying to make a living getting their face punched in.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
slip

Quote:
Actually, we already have something like that.

It's called "Disney on Ice." Great fun for the whole family, grandma too!

(insert smiley face blowing own brains out).

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, but that may just be wishful thinking.

My ideal NHL would involve big, clean hits, rare but appropriate emotional fights with meaning, and gritty playoff series where detached offensive skill alone won't win anything.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards. In lieu of that I hope big hits stay in the game... we'll see.
If they eliminate fighting and keep cracking down heavily on borderline hits. It will impact how teams draft, which will lead to less players in the league that are big hitters to begin with.

A kid like McNabb isn't getting drafted in the 3rd round in a league that doesn't have fighting and is suspending players for big borderline hits. He brings offense but a big part of his appeal to scouts was his size, willingness to use it and the fact that he scraps. Its why they overlooked his skating and drafted him where they did. But if you take away his hitting and fighting you have a very different evaluation of him as a player.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
jamers

Quote:
If the eliminate fighting and keep cracking dopwn heavily on borderline hits. It will impact how teams draft which will lead to less players in the league that are big hitters to begin with.

A kid like McNabb isn't getting drafted in the 3rd round in a league that doesn't have fighting and is suspending players for big borderline hits. He brings offense but a big part of his appeal to scouts was his size, willingness to use it and the fact that he scraps. Its why they overlooked his skating and drafted him where they did. But if you take away his hitting and fighting you have a very different evaluation of him as a player.
That's a good point, and an angle I hadn't really considered.

I'm wondering if Shanahan will have the stones to continue being this active in the playoffs, and/or if the NHL will allow him to continue then. They seem pretty committed at the moment.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
That's a good point, and an angle I hadn't really considered.

I'm wondering if Shanahan will have the stones to continue being this active in the playoffs, and/or if the NHL will allow him to continue then. They seem pretty committed at the moment.
If anyone is going to get in Shanny's way it will be the owners/Gms not the NHL. There was already one team exec griping about the suspensions in preseason.