Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

First in the NHL. First in the WCHA. First in Hockey

Old
11-02-2011, 09:05 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
First in the NHL. First in the WCHA. First in Hockey

11 games in and Yeo has already surpassed Richards' best over two years (I think).

Not saying we will make the playoffs, but it's been a long time since the Wild have been in a respectable place in the standings.

I think we should all stop for a second and enjoy.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We were in the hunt near the trade deadline a couple years ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

We were in 5th in the west the day before Koivu's injury last season if I recall correctly.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Moment enjoyed. Now back to work.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
mnwildgophers

Yeah I think we were in 5th place at the deadline last year, which is why we didn't sell any pieces (I think we tried to get rid of Kobasew).

Either way, we're still learning Yeo's system, we have gotten 13/22 points. That's not too bad. That gets us about 97 points if we keep getting points at this clip which should be enough to make the playoffs, but I'm not sure if this shows the team's resolve or if it's more about getting lucky. We tied the game with 1.2 seconds left against Edmonton and won in the shootout, and we tied the game with 1 minute left against the Wings and win it in overtime. We are this close to being 9/22 points and sitting in 14th place. How crazy is that?

We need to be better, but I hope we can just find some sort of consistency with our line combos. Also, PMB has been kind of a problem in not getting a lot of scoring done.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Something to be excited about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @mnwild
When scoring 2 or fewer goals, #mnwild already has more wins this season (3-1-0) than all of last season (2-22-2)

Old
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Yeah I think we were in 5th place at the deadline last year, which is why we didn't sell any pieces (I think we tried to get rid of Kobasew).

Either way, we're still learning Yeo's system, we have gotten 13/22 points. That's not too bad. That gets us about 97 points if we keep getting points at this clip which should be enough to make the playoffs, but I'm not sure if this shows the team's resolve or if it's more about getting lucky. We tied the game with 1.2 seconds left against Edmonton and won in the shootout, and we tied the game with 1 minute left against the Wings and win it in overtime. We are this close to being 9/22 points and sitting in 14th place. How crazy is that?

We need to be better, but I hope we can just find some sort of consistency with our line combos. Also, PMB has been kind of a problem in not getting a lot of scoring done.
I will say that the team has looked way better late in games when they're down. The effort level has been just so much better. They looked so lazy (or maybe tired?) in these same situations under Richards. And the 6-on-5 looks SO much better. I mean, apart from Richards pulling the goalie when the team didn't have possession, the team also seems to have learned how to actually maintain pressure. This year, the 6-on-5 unit doesn't get one weak shot on the dump in and then watch listlessly as it sails into their empty goal! It no longer seems like pulling the goalie is conceding a bonus goal; it seems like an actual attempt to get back into the game.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Something to be excited about:
So our defense has actually gotten better. Where are all of those haters now?

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I will say that the team has looked way better late in games when they're down. The effort level has been just so much better. They looked so lazy (or maybe tired?) in these same situations under Richards. And the 6-on-5 looks SO much better. I mean, apart from Richards pulling the goalie when the team didn't have possession, the team also seems to have learned how to actually maintain pressure. This year, the 6-on-5 unit doesn't get one weak shot on the dump in and then watch listlessly as it sails into their empty goal! It no longer seems like pulling the goalie is conceding a bonus goal; it seems like an actual attempt to get back into the game.
I've been impressed that we haven't allowed an empty net goal (and we had an empty net for like 2 minutes straight against Anaheim) and we've scored twice with the goalie pulled.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
I've been impressed that we haven't allowed an empty net goal (and we had an empty net for like 2 minutes straight against Anaheim) and we've scored twice with the goalie pulled.
We should just play the whole game 6 v 5. It's bound to be successful with statistics like that!

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Since we're talking about goal scoring and defense, I think I know what happened.

We played the trap for our entire existence, and when Lemaire retired, Wild fans called for a "more exciting" brand of hockey. Enter Todd Richards... Wow, he sucked. Exit Todd Richards. Now we've finally gotten to a point where we realize winning is exciting no matter how you do it.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

goals =/= exciting hockey.

Give me a hard fought, physical 2-1 game over a 6-5 all-star game anyday.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Since we're talking about goal scoring and defense, I think I know what happened.

We played the trap for our entire existence, and when Lemaire retired, Wild fans called for a "more exciting" brand of hockey. Enter Todd Richards... Wow, he sucked. Exit Todd Richards. Now we've finally gotten to a point where we realize winning is exciting no matter how you do it.
I'd go a little further. To hockey "purists" a hard fought defensive game is fun and exciting. The more casual fan wants to see goals and flashy plays. With penny pinching around the country, those more casual fans aren't paying out for tickets, so it makes sense to go back to the hard nosed, defensive style. Everybody loves a winner, so the fact that we have somewhat better odds of winning with that style means more of a turn that way too.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
So our defense has actually gotten better. Where are all of those haters now?
Our defensemen can all play defense, but only two of them can play offense. Also, we've got a very good group of two-way forwards. They're very defensively responsible. Oh, and Harding has played like a boss.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Our defensemen can all play defense, but only two of them can play offense. Also, we've got a very good group of two-way forwards. They're very defensively responsible. Oh, and Harding has played like a boss.
Solution: Move Zid to wing and Gillies to D.

/it's crazy enough, it might just work

Old
11-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
I assume you're talking about Zids and Spurgeon, but I wouldn't be too quick to omit Scandella and Falk, who have both shown flashes.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I assume you're talking about Zids and Spurgeon, but I wouldn't be too quick to omit Scandella and Falk, who have both shown flashes.
Scandella has shown flashes of offense, but it's in the manner that Schultz has. He clearly thinks the game defense first. When he sees a play, he's thinking "how do I need to stop this opponent from scoring" before "how can I move this puck on net?" Spurgeon very clearly has that reversed. That's why last night Spurgeon would pounce on loose pucks in the neutral zone, risking an odd man rush if he misplayed the puck, while Scandella would back off to ensure defensive positioning when the opponent grabbed it.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Scandella has shown flashes of offense, but it's in the manner that Schultz has. He clearly thinks the game defense first. When he sees a play, he's thinking "how do I need to stop this opponent from scoring" before "how can I move this puck on net?" Spurgeon very clearly has that reversed. That's why last night Spurgeon would pounce on loose pucks in the neutral zone, risking an odd man rush if he misplayed the puck, while Scandella would back off to ensure defensive positioning when the opponent grabbed it.
Again, I feel like you don't like Scandella for some reason and I'm not sure why. Everything you've described in this paragraph is definitely not a bad thing, especially with our lack of scoring.

Scandella is a lot more likely to prevent a goal than create one, so for now, let's focus on that.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Again, I feel like you don't like Scandella for some reason and I'm not sure why. Everything you've described in this paragraph is definitely not a bad thing, especially with our lack of scoring.

Scandella is a lot more likely to prevent a goal than create one, so for now, let's focus on that.
You're the only one who has said it is a bad thing. The question was "who creates offense from the blue line?" Scandella is a defense first defenseman, and therefore isn't creating a whole lot of offense from the blue line. That's a simple statement of fact, not a judgment or any such thing. I haven't said a single negative thing about Scandella, at least not since the season actually got under way.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
You're the only one who has said it is a bad thing. The question was "who creates offense from the blue line?" Scandella is a defense first defenseman, and therefore isn't creating a whole lot of offense from the blue line. That's a simple statement of fact, not a judgment or any such thing. I haven't said a single negative thing about Scandella, at least not since the season actually got under way.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I think he is very selective and picks his spots carefully; right now I'd lean closer to 2-way, as opposed to defensive. He also seems much more inclined to shoot than any of the other D, which I would consider offensive in nature.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I don't necessarily agree with this. I think he is very selective and picks his spots carefully; right now I'd lean closer to 2-way, as opposed to defensive. He also seems much more inclined to shoot than any of the other D, which I would consider offensive in nature.
I can see that, but I would argue he's 2-way in the sense that he's not useless in the offensive zone. It seems his first instinct is to protect the puck or the zone, and only when he's certain that's cleared away does he make an offensive move. He's more of a defensive guy who's capable of putting the puck in the net, which I guess could be some people's definition of a two way defenseman.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
We were as high as 4th for a couple of hours at one point last year.

I'll savor playoff position when we clinch it. For now its just useless shiny things.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
I can see that, but I would argue he's 2-way in the sense that he's not useless in the offensive zone. It seems his first instinct is to protect the puck or the zone, and only when he's certain that's cleared away does he make an offensive move. He's more of a defensive guy who's capable of putting the puck in the net, which I guess could be some people's definition of a two way defenseman.
He is still a rookie though. The offense will come, right now he does need to avoid mistakes.

But even as a conservative rookie, the wild have a better defensive corps with him in the line up than with him out of it. Not only that, he is at the point where the NHL ice time will help him grow far more effectively than AHL ice time, esp if he is getting the minutes that he is.

Its still a long shot for the wild to end up in the top 8 this year. Lets let him work through some of his growing pains this year. If we make the playoffs its pretty much guaranteed that he will have helped the wild get there in a big way.

Casper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:28 AM
teddygmr

Any news as to when Lundin will get into the lineup?

teddygmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Any news as to when Lundin will get into the lineup?
He's been starting to skate a bit but that's about it. Sure would be nice to have him in the line-up.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote