HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

W Emerson Etem (2010, 29th overall, Anaheim)

Old
11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
3 empty netters at this point is more than above average. I disagree with that. The WHL has 72 games, he wont score 14 empty netters this season. That's why his goal totals are inflated.

22 goals in 16 games makes people think he will score 70, definitely because he's scoring a lot already. The chances he will score 70 are less likely than that he will hit 55, perhaps 60 eventually.

Again, plenty of players in the past that have scored over a goal per game in the beginning of the season, just to drop off later in the season. Which is more than logical. I'm not downgrading anybody, I just put some things into perspective.

I just cant believe some people are offended by it but that's the trend nowadays here at HF. Its ridiculous that I have to repond 4/5 times. One little, tiny logical observation and people are getting crazy immediately. Not you by the way, at least you can respond properly.
What's wrong with you? Maybe take your foot off the gas and try to enjoy a great kid's amazing season so far and appreciating it for what it is.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:51 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
What's wrong with you? Maybe take your foot off the gas and try to enjoy a great kid's amazing season so far and appreciating it for what it is.
Look at the avatar.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Being out on the ice in the last minute with a 1 or 2 goal lead to defend would indicate his defensive abilities rather than his empty net awareness wouldn't you think?

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:23 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This.

He honestly didn't have the greatest camp. He looked really good, but like there were a few aspects to his game that needed work. And I'm gonna be honest the WHL won't smooth them out. He's skating circles against his opposition and isn't really presented with the challenges he'll face in the NHL. So I don't think his time in Medicine Hat is really helping him grow, and he may see time next year in Syracuse. Though it is possible that we run a Etem-Holland-Palmieri line next year.

Anyone know how many games are in a WHL season? I think it's 72 right?
Yes.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Why should there be something wrong with me if I try to explain something. That's where this board is for, right ?

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...7&postcount=37

Look at my avatar.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSBlog View Post
Anaheim Duck prospect Emerson Etem is the WHL Player of the month and is close to a record setting goal scoring pace in the Dub. In this week's CHL report Peter Loubardias has more on the Medicine Hat Tiger star at http://www.goldengoalsportsblog.com/...os-record.html
from other thread incase anyone missed it.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Why should there be something wrong with me if I try to explain something. That's where this board is for, right ?

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...7&postcount=37

Look at my avatar.
You have said he will be an intriguing prospect but you are saying his totals are inflated by open netters an such which is just not true.

He is not only their top offensive threat but one of the top defensive forwards. He will always be out on the ice in those open net situations and PK situations. So it it actualy considered inflating when he works for those goals? its not like he is just bad at defense and they stick him out there to cherry pick waiting for the pass to score the open net.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Being out on the ice in the last minute with a 1 or 2 goal lead to defend would indicate his defensive abilities rather than his empty net awareness wouldn't you think?
At the junior level anyway, since most teams lean on their 19 and 20 year olds in key situations unless they're anemic defensively. Not necessarily the greatest indicator of defensive ability but obviously Etem would be valuable in the last minute because of his speed and his goal scoring threat which teams will automatically respect.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Yes.
Ok that puts him on pace for 99 goals 63 assists and 162 points

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:04 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Whoops we shall have no logic in this thread. Only mindless hype.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
How is this hype? Watch him play lol he is tearing it up at both ends of the ice.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:16 AM
NeilYoung

He's been simply amazing. And to the guy moaning about empty net totals please! Just because your rivals with a team doesn't mean you have to be ignorant towards the teams prospects.

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:00 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Empty netters......really? is this how this website discredits players?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
You have said he will be an intriguing prospect but you are saying his totals are inflated by open netters an such which is just not true.

He is not only their top offensive threat but one of the top defensive forwards. He will always be out on the ice in those open net situations and PK situations. So it it actualy considered inflating when he works for those goals? its not like he is just bad at defense and they stick him out there to cherry pick waiting for the pass to score the open net.
I said "a bit inflated" so dont say other things. It was a response of somebody who hoped he would score 70 goals, without looking at this. You can say its not true but you cant disagree with this fact. 3 empty netter at this point is more than above average, so his goals totals are a bit inflated.

It has nothing to do with his defense awareness or whatever I read. I never said anything about that.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:03 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I said "a bit inflated" so dont say other things. It was a response of somebody who hoped he would score 70 goals, without looking at this. You can say its not true but you cant disagree with this fact. 3 empty netter at this point is more than above average, so his goals totals are a bit inflated.

It has nothing to do with his defense awareness or whatever I read. I never said anything about that.
3 goals out of 22 total so far.

Really grasping at straws there, aren't you?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:07 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
Well not that I necessarily agree with the hype thing but I seriously dont understand either that its somehow not allowed to say something else than 'wow' 'great' ''150 points''. Than something is wrong with me, I'm a hater, I'm a Kings fan. Unbelievable.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:14 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

You neglected to point out his 6 short handed goals. If this kid gets 15 SHG's then what?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You neglected to point out his 6 short handed goals. If this kid gets 15 SHG's then what?
Then the other teams PP units are inflating his goal totals

A goal is a goal. even if he had 19 goals instead of 22 he would still be like 5 goals above the next highest scorer.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Than thats a great thing but eventually I think that will slow down.

I hope for the kid he can get 55 goals, perhaps 60.

This is is just statistic nonsense anyway. Only thing that matters is a long succesfull NHL career.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

that wayne bum had a lot of empty netters in his career too. they sure do pad the stats for contract years. i hate it when offensive guys with no all around sound D games get put on the ice at the end for all those fluff points.

sarcasm aside, i think the original post about the empty netters got a little blown out of the water.

i agree he is likely to slow, i mean that's just common sense. a couple years ago when Kopitar started red hot in the NHL, most everyone knew he could never keep up that pace. it's just unrealistic.

that said, Etem is a big fast strong guy and has better odds of keeping it up in that league.

i just hope he can work on the parts of his game that need polishing so he can see the NHL next year.

Ducks have some great days ahead with Etem, Palms and DSP.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:

19 goals in 16 games with the opposing goalie in is also "more than above average", does that inflate his goal totals as well?

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Ducks have some great days ahead with Etem, Palms and DSP.
I'm just thankful we'll finally have a player who can score EN goals. We haven't had that since Rob Niedermayer.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:48 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm just thankful we'll finally have a player who can score EN goals. We haven't had that since Rob Niedermayer.
EN goals sure are game winning goals

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
God damn you guys are overreacting to that statement. For one thing (I guess the only thing), he's right. Three empty net goals plus six SH goals this early is setting a pace that isn't likely sustainable. It says nothing of his skill, but projecting future goal totals means one has to study how he is scoring goals in the present. Those EN and SH goal totals are highly unusual, and probably won't continue at that pace.

It's just statistics, not really bias.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Wow, Poor Frolov.

He simply points out a few statistics and states his opinion, and gets absolutely ripped on by the majority of you. I happen to agree with him, but by know means does that suggest that I am discrediting the start Etem has had.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote