HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Emelin

Old
11-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I will be greatly enraged if Emelin is traded or goes back to Russia because of Martin.
Martin played him. He got outclassed by Diaz and Weber.

He's most likely gone when Markov and Campoli are back, deal with it.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Martin played him. He got outclassed by Diaz and Weber.

He's most likely gone when Markov and Campoli are back, deal with it.
Desagree.. First Campoli is still months away from coming back, other injuries may happen.. Second Emelin is probably working pretty hard in the practices to reach the other guys' level, hopefully the communication is good between him and the coaches.. I think Emelin is a kid who is definitively worth working on, he shown some flashes of brillance, Im actually very impressed with his vision, passing and puckmoving skills.. Just needs a period of adaptation.. Im dreaming of a Markov Emelin pairing in the second half of the season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:05 PM
otto bond

You guys are making to much of this. Give him some time to learns and once Markov come back with the team, he'll have someone to mentor him. He has the skills set it will come in time. If by mid February he still not playing, then worry.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:43 PM

People saying Emelin is a marginal player, I am glad you guys don't work as scouts for our team.

Emelin has the goods. Let him play.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:44 PM
gusfring

IMO, he should be playing over Diaz.

He brings some elements we dearly lack on the back end.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
McTusk

I'd like to see him in the lineup, simple as that, but I like Diaz more every game too and have always been a Weber fan and he's looking solid enough. As Ned Flanders would say, this is a dilly of a pickle.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
torero

an argument i put in the Weber Diaz thread and that has its place here as well.

Weber.....850'000
Diaz........900'000
Emelin .....984'000
TOTAL ...2'734'000
++
Gill........2'250'000
Spaceck ..3'833'000
Gorges ..2'500'000
Campoli...1'750'000

(i take Gill and Campoli as both will be UFA at the end of the season)
in other words for Gill, you have 0.85 (Weber+Diaz+Emelin), or for Spaceck you have (Weber+Diaz+Emelin) + 1,1mio approx.
which leads to the right question : for 1 Spaceck, i can keep all three + have another 1.1 mio free in my cap space !
4mio = Gill + Campoli = Spaceck = Weber+Diaz+Emelin + 1.2mio

Should Emelin, or Diaz or Weber play or not play NOW ... that is 1 question ... with no answer so far. Diaz and Emelin are projects.
do they need to be traded ?? not necessarily, it would remove end of year options were obviously movements in the style of game are at stake ... so it is too early to say. Results in the season 11/12 will tell us.

In parallel to that, you have all the Defense EX Markov and Weber that become UFA/RFA at the end of a year, a new style of defense that is being tried... and a window of opportunity to realize the contracts at the end of the season. That is a well managed project vs old guard transition. Interesting to see how things will develop.

In fact if we put this together with Diaz coming in, lack of size, speed in puck movement, MTL management are trying to build a style that is being played in Switzerland. Faster pace but on bigger rink. They are trying to adapt it to North American ice. (this style lead a swiss team to smash the Rangers 8-4 this pre-season !). the dorsal spin of this style is SPEED IN PUCK MOVEMENT to feed the attack.
As a result ... in 11 games, habs out shot their opponents 8 times ! While having problems with their 2 stars: Markov (absence) and Gomez (absence + absence !)
Doesn't sound bad !

impact on Emelin ... He will play sooner or later. And he will be kept depending on :
1a) his puck movement skills 2a) success of puck movement skill strategy
OR
1b) failure in this and toughness will be needed 2b) he brings physicality.

fig. come from http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

my 10cts

Last edited by torero: 11-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It would be nuts not to nurture along all 3 guys(Weber Diaz and Emelin), as those are 3 young, skilled and cheap d-men. In the cap world that's like gold, because it allows you to spend money elswhere(Price, Subban, UFA's) after Spacek and Gill leave. I could see us going after a Coburn type who has size and mobility and can play a shutdown role(I'm sure there will be other names as UFA) maybe Suter though I think he will either end up overpriced or traded before July 1st.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
One thing though, I hope the Habs are paying someone to teach him proper english ASAP.
Probably proper French.

Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:20 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Desagree.. First Campoli is still months away from coming back, other injuries may happen.. Second Emelin is probably working pretty hard in the practices to reach the other guys' level, hopefully the communication is good between him and the coaches.. I think Emelin is a kid who is definitively worth working on, he shown some flashes of brillance, Im actually very impressed with his vision, passing and puckmoving skills.. Just needs a period of adaptation.. Im dreaming of a Markov Emelin pairing in the second half of the season..
That's the part I worry about the most. Historically, Habs' staff have had issues communicating with players as to why they're not playing and what they need to do. Right now they need to keep pumping Emelin's tires and working hard with him, because he will be needed.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I don't think Emelin came all the way from Russia to ride the pines.
The Habs brass need to figure it out quick,or add him to the long list of one's who got shipped out or left for little return .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I don't think Emelin came all the way from Russia to ride the pines.
The Habs brass need to figure it out quick,or add him to the long list of one's who got shipped out or left for little return .
At the cost of not playing someone who earned a spot?

It's a tricky situation, but when you start catering to players for ANY reason other than their contribution on the ice you're going down a slippery slope.

I don't want to see Emelin leave. But I also don't see any reason to remove Diaz or especially Weber from the lineup right now. And as much as many here suggest rotating Gill or Spacek to let him play we all know that is not happening.

Personally, if I'm Emelin I'm asking to go play in the AHL, learn the ropes, learn English, and come back hungry and a monster ready to go in the big league. But that's just me.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
At the cost of not playing someone who earned a spot?

It's a tricky situation, but when you start catering to players for ANY reason other than their contribution on the ice you're going down a slippery slope.

I don't want to see Emelin leave. But I also don't see any reason to remove Diaz or especially Weber from the lineup right now. And as much as many here suggest rotating Gill or Spacek to let him play we all know that is not happening.

Personally, if I'm Emelin I'm asking to go play in the AHL, learn the ropes, learn English, and come back hungry and a monster ready to go in the big league. But that's just me.
He actually already mentioned that if management feels he isn't ready and that some AHL time would do him some good he is willing to go there and play it out for a while.

I can only imagine if they aren't doing that it means one of the following:

1) They're going to use him they just haven't yet.
2) They're going to trade him they just haven't yet.
3) They're waiting for an injury and he is the active #7

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
He actually already mentioned that if management feels he isn't ready and that some AHL time would do him some good he is willing to go there and play it out for a while.

I can only imagine if they aren't doing that it means one of the following:

1) They're going to use him they just haven't yet.
2) They're going to trade him they just haven't yet.
3) They're waiting for an injury and he is the active #7
Also, rookie D-men don't usually play every single game. Look at Weber, he was brought up last year and dressed in 41 games, some of those not even on D. He certainly seems to be better for it this year. I agree that Emelin needs to get some playing time, either in the NHL or AHL, but now might not be the time with the team still under .500. I have no doubt he will get his chance, but there's no need for him to be a regular this year in order for him to contribute to the team long-term.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
BigHab*

Why is it when someone does not play, sits out up in the pressbox that the only conclusion that people come to is that they are either asking for a trade, are going to be traded or should be traded? Emelin is going nowhere, as are Diaz and Webber....nothing more to see here...let's move on to something more interesting and constructive.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
gillyguzzler

It's a long season and hopefully he gets his chance sooner than later. Lets say JM decides to play him 16-18 minutes a game now... would he develop into a better D than Diaz, than Hal Gill? by mid-season? by the playoffs? His potential seems quite high and we finally have a D coach who talks to the young players. That should help him.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry View Post
Probably proper French.
His teammates speak English, as do the coaches and every member of the print and broadcast media regardless of which is their first language. Besides, speaking English well would be a more useful tool after Emelin is no longer a Canadien whereas French would not help much in most cities of the world.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote