HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The New Boudreau

Old
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
Their*

And no you couldn't. You also couldn't take a team that Glen Hanlon coached to 34-54-15 between 06-07 and 07-08 and coach them to 37-17-7.

'Throwing the lines on the ice' isn't the same thing as coaching. What about the adjustments you need to make? What about consoling players when they have bad games or keeping them level-headed when they have great ones? What about dealing with kids that are called up from AHL or even AHL vets when there are injuries? What about the many other variables that aren't as simple as 'throwing the lines on the ice'? There have been stretches when the top line has looked absolutely putrid together and it cost them games -- hell, a good portion of last year. I doubt you could have done anything to get the team to the playoffs under those circumstances. What would you do when Semin starts on one of his notorious streaks of ineffectiveness and stick penalties? When MoJo goes through a period of looking like he's still only really in his second year of full time NHL play? When Carlson and Alzner end up having as bad a game as they had against Vancouver?

I know I shouldn't even be responding to this seriously, but the level of delusion in your comment just for the sake of pretending like Boudreau's some sort of god awful coach is amazing.

And bear in mind, I'm not calling BB the best coach ever, I think he's far from it.
That's fine. Maybe I couldn't take them to the playoffs, honestly who knows. But at the end of the day, Boudreau is there and not me and he hasn't produced enough results when it counts.

A great regular season coach, maybe, but with that lineup he should be winning cups.

And thank you for correcting my spelling. Is it really that necessary? I'm at work and I proofread all day, when I shoot a quick post on here I don't find it necessary to re-read the whole thing.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
What kind of logic is this

Because coaches have failed in the past, he should get a pass. His team is stacked. It's like the Yankees. It's not about making the playoffs it's about winning.

Each year the capitals are heavily favored and then boom, the playoffs come and they get beat rather handedly without making a strong push.

I think this year is the final year, Boudreau needs to take the reigns and get his team either to the Finals or to the cup or it's a fail.

Otherwise it's time to test other paths.
It's the logic that a bad coach does not consistently have their team at the top of the standings. Hanlon and Granato definitely prove that rule.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBroomers View Post
It's the logic that a bad coach does not consistently have their team at the top of the standings. Hanlon and Granato definitely prove that rule.
I don't necessarily think that he's a bad coach. But i would certainly argue mediocre.

He has a team that's built to win. And they haven't come close.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
That's fine. Maybe I couldn't take them to the playoffs, honestly who knows. But at the end of the day, Boudreau is there and not me and he hasn't produced enough results when it counts.

A great regular season coach, maybe, but with that lineup he should be winning cups.

And thank you for correcting my spelling. Is it really that necessary? I'm at work and I proofread all day, when I shoot a quick post on here I don't find it necessary to re-read the whole thing.
Because winning the Stanley Cup is so easy, anyone could do it. Why the hell do people even bother throwing parades when they win it? I mean, every good coach wins like .. what .. two or three a year?

There's only been a single year that you can even point at the Capitals and go "Golly, they sure wasted that opportunity". You know why? Because as good as the top of the Capitals team has been since the coaching/managing/drafting stars have aligned, there's been no Capitals' team (until this year) that you could look at and go, "Boy, they've really limited their team weaknesses." There have been teams constructed to excel offensively at the expense of defense and last year's team which was so ridiculously hung up on defense with a roster that couldn't sustain two-way play for very long without showing some major holes that nearly every star player had their offensive numbers drop significantly.

That said, you have to be a good regular season coach before you can even begin to think about being a good playoff coach. Sure, being good in the regular season might be something that might be taken for granted around these parts, but so long as the NHL plays a system that doesn't put teams in the playoffs based on the star power of their 'top 9' and actually requires teams to play an 82-game season -- you have to have someone who can coach players through the grind and into the playoffs. And if you're looking to get rid of that guy, there had damn well better be someone *better* waiting in the wings to take over that responsibility.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Because winning the Stanley Cup is so easy, anyone could do it. Why the hell do people even bother throwing parades when they win it? I mean, every good coach wins like .. what .. two or three a year?

There's only been a single year that you can even point at the Capitals and go "Golly, they sure wasted that opportunity". You know why? Because as good as the top of the Capitals team has been since the coaching/managing/drafting stars have aligned, there's been no Capitals' team (until this year) that you could look at and go, "Boy, they've really limited their team weaknesses." There have been teams constructed to excel offensively at the expense of defense and last year's team which was so ridiculously hung up on defense with a roster that couldn't sustain two-way play for very long without showing some major holes that nearly every star player had their offensive numbers drop significantly.

That said, you have to be a good regular season coach before you can even begin to think about being a good playoff coach. Sure, being good in the regular season might be something that might be taken for granted around these parts, but so long as the NHL plays a system that doesn't put teams in the playoffs based on the star power of their 'top 9' and actually requires teams to play an 82-game season -- you have to have someone who can coach players through the grind and into the playoffs. And if you're looking to get rid of that guy, there had damn well better be someone *better* waiting in the wings to take over that responsibility.
I didn't say it was easy. But he hasn't even gotten them close. All that composure and dominance they constantly show in the regular season seems to completely disappear in the playoffs.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
I didn't say it was easy. But he hasn't even gotten them close. All that composure and dominance they constantly show in the regular season seems to completely disappear in the playoffs.
Everything you've been talking to me about -- ranging from, "I could get them to the playoffs" to "He should be winning cups" -- has been you suggesting that it's easy.

That said, Bruce has no excuses this year and if he fails to get the job done, he's gone.

I've got some Dexter to catch up on.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Everything you've been talking to me about -- ranging from, "I could get them to the playoffs" to "He should be winning cups" -- has been you suggesting that it's easy.

That said, Bruce has no excuses this year and if he fails to get the job done, he's gone.

I've got some Dexter to catch up on.
When did i say "he should be winning cups." I said he should be getting them further than he has. I'd consider the finals or even a conf. finals somewhat of a success. They've flopped out in the playoffs continuously with him as there coach.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
When did i say "he should be winning cups." I said he should be getting them further than he has. I'd consider the finals or even a conf. finals somewhat of a success. They've flopped out in the playoffs continuously with him as there coach.
Quote:

Just about there.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
He's still awful until the Caps don't fall apart in the playoffs. This isn't "they have to win a cup" but this is "they have to show they are relevant in the playoffs".

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Just about there.
zing got me. touche.

it came out wrong as winning one cup is hard enough. but i stick by the "better performance in the playoffs"

Old
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Good on Bruce. That team needs to feel a sense of ownership and accountability. Good coaching.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I think Boudreau recognizes he has nothing to lose at this point. He's getting fired if he doesn't take this team to a Stanley Cup or a mega-run in the playoffs.

So he might as well do it his way this year and not cater to anyone. Seems to be a logical mindset for him.
At least 100 lbs. could be a start.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
He's still awful until the Caps don't fall apart in the playoffs. This isn't "they have to win a cup" but this is "they have to show they are relevant in the playoffs".
Understand that point, however, you are setting the bar awfully low for the deepest team in the league. Winning an extra round or two next spring is not good enough, I suspect, in the eyes of ownership or McPhee. Nor should it be.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
At least 100 lbs. could be a start.
Leave it to a Penguins fan to pop his head into a thread that has a few good actual discussions going on and inject this filth.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:29 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

You guys see the video of Ovi calling BB a fat **** last night after getting benched?

hilarious.

I would link the video, but the f word is in the link.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Leave it to a Penguins fan to pop his head into a thread that has a few good actual discussions going on and inject this filth.
What's filthy about being honest?

Old
11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I love your use of the word filth. A word that isn't used around here enough.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

No.

I said it multiple times and I will say it again. The Caps will not win a Stanley Cup with Boudreau behind the bench.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:15 PM
um

Quote:
That kinda talent. Anyone who's watched hockey could pretty much throw the lines on the ice.

Ovechkin
Semin
Backstrom
Green
Johansson
Knuble
Laich
Alzner

There top 9 is pretty easy the best in the NHL.
remember the caps before boudreau? nuff said

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
Except everytime the Caps lose it isn't from " a couple of bounces" it's from being outplayed and outcoached every year
The Pittsburgh series, and to a lesser extent the Philadelphia and Montreal losses, was definitely within the "couple of bounces" range. In particular, the two overtime wins Pittsburgh had because pucks bounced off of Capitals' defensemen. The Tampa series is the first they've been completely dominated in.

Bounce 1:

Bounce 2:

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The Pittsburgh series, and to a lesser extent the Philadelphia and Montreal losses, was definitely within the "couple of bounces" range.
Game 7 sure wasn't.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
LetsGoIslanders

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote