HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Regular Season Strategy, Playing Style, Execution, Coaching Decisions Thread

Old
10-20-2011, 11:45 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
The Chimera Laich Ward line has shown just how impressive, rewarding and how draining for the opposition, a good cycle game can be.
Reminds me of the Kono/Halpern/Dahlen line of the 98/2000 era. Those guys worked the puck behind the net like no other line we've had. Until now.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Bananas

I remember how many cycles died on Ovechkin's stick in last years PO's. I kept thinking, he's single-handedly killing his lines ability to execute the cycle. Hope he boned up on that **** in the offseason.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:16 AM
The Flying Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
damn. now I want to play that.
http://nintendo8.com/game/24/excitebike/

The Flying Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Is Troy Brouwer really playing on the top line and top powerplay unit? If this is true, it certainly shocks me. I watched the game last night (also multitasking) but he seemed invisible, was it just me or is he not on the powerplay like I thought he was or just invisible? Why wouldn't they put out all their big guns on the PP, I don't see Brouwer as someone that should be in that role... is it just me?

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Eight games, 16 goals against, 2.00 GAA, so the team defense and goaltending have been fine. Maybe not always pretty, but effective. Most nights, that will be good enough for this cast to find a way to win.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Zuse View Post
Is Troy Brouwer really playing on the top line and top powerplay unit? If this is true, it certainly shocks me. I watched the game last night (also multitasking) but he seemed invisible, was it just me or is he not on the powerplay like I thought he was or just invisible? Why wouldn't they put out all their big guns on the PP, I don't see Brouwer as someone that should be in that role... is it just me?
its the regular season and october. last season laich was in that spot til crunch time and then it was knuble. i'd suspect similar is the case now.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:44 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Brouwer has been directly responsible for several of the Caps' last few PP goals. He's been excellent at screening the goalie while the Caps set up the point shot.

He's just not getting any points out of it. The PP itself would have been a bit disjointed last night regardless, adjusting to Green's absence. Not sure what to read into Brouwer's play because of that.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

...s'probably a Knuble fantasy owner.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
Quote:
he didnt do much yesterday but his role is not really to be seen. he screens the goalie on the PP and retrieves pucks for ovechkin while bringing energy and physicality. for reference he was top 5 in hits last year, and is currently tied for 3rd in the league in hits. the guy hes tied with (Morrow) has played 2 extra games, and the 2 guys above him have played 1 and 2 extra games respectively.

as long as brouwer dials it up a notch in the playoffs, which im sure he will, he'll be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

His rush up the middle splitting the defense started the entire flurry in the 3rd period for that line and set the tone. Very invisible.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
His rush up the middle splitting the defense started the entire flurry in the 3rd period for that line and set the tone. Very invisible.
...I was multitasking so I may have missed that.

How about Wideman's play though, eh?

Old
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Wideman has been stellar since last year.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:50 PM
txpd

wideman has found a home. if he is smart he will find a way to stay

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wideman has found a home. if he is smart he will find a way to stay
Indeed! ...like your avatar throwback rules!

Old
11-02-2011, 11:30 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

OV Benching

The Canadian press is making a big deal out of the OV benching but I see nothing here. What gives?

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:36 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
In my opinion its the media overreacting. Keith Jones first time in between the benches making a big deal out of nothing - trying to hit a home run to show he should be down in the benches more. Ovechkin wasn't benched - the 3rd line was productive so it was chosen to try and get the tying goal. It had looked dangerous all game and had already produced 2 goals, so it deserved the chance. Ovechkin was out just before that line and then again in overtime (and contributed to the game winning goal).

Unless I've missed something from the Caps in the news - I think this says more about the Caps "third" line then it does about Ovechkin (note I say says more - not saying that it says nothign about Ovie).

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Ovi needs a tonne of video time with the coaches.
Hes still an unbelievable player.
3rd line has been flawless this season to date and was flawless during the game and Bruce made a call that would have been harder to defend against given that teams predict Ovi being there in that situation all the time. Kudos to Bruce for having the balls to do it.

Your move mr Ovechkin. Whachugot?

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Problem is if the caps had not tied the game the cards would have been shown, it would be a bigger deal to us at that point than it is now. Personally I didn't care one bit and I'm glad ot happened, even if we hadn't tied the game.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

yep.
i think most CAPS fans (non-pure fanboys) would feel the same way and pretty much consider this to be a non-issue apart from the fact that Ovi aint playin like Ovi can play.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveng7x View Post
Problem is if the caps had not tied the game the cards would have been shown, it would be a bigger deal to us at that point than it is now. Personally I didn't care one bit and I'm glad ot happened, even if we hadn't tied the game.
This ended up working out perfectly. BB got to send a message to the team and his superstar that hard work will be rewarded in crunch time and he still got the 2 pts. As I said in other responses on the subject, I LOVE the fact Ovey is pissed off.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
The Canadian press is making a big deal out of the OV benching but I see nothing here. What gives?
Only a couple of hundred posts on the subject. Several long catch-all threads cover a range of day-to-day events and news items. This one will probably be merged into it too later today.

Try news and notes or the latest GDT or something. Probably in there.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:35 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
yep.
most CAPS fans pretty much consider this to be a non-issue apart from the fact that Ovi aint playin like Ovi can play.
Agree that it's a non-issue. Not sure that we should continue to have the expectation of "Ovi playing like Ovi can play" if that means the Ovi from 2006 - 2009Ovi's ability to play as a solo artist barreling down the wing ahead of his linemates and produce at the levels he produced at up through through 2008-09 is not likely to happen.

All our opponents' defenses are geared to stop that via a combo of Ds not giving him the center of the ice, not letting him shoot through their legs, and intense back pressure from the forwards. Combine that with the mysterious propensity for whiffing which started popping up last year, and more shots that miss the net, and it's all a recipe for lower production.

He has to evolve his game, find a way to use his on-ice strengths inter-dependently w/his linemates, instead of independently. He spent a lot of last year trying to do that -- but there are still times when he clearly reverts to I-gotta-do-it-all-myself mode. Tuesday night was one of those times -- let's hope he doesn't respond Friday by being even more determined to do it all himself.

In the meantime, the good news is that even as our opponents defenses continue to make stopping the solo artiste Ovi their No. 1 priority, the team is finding different players and different ways to put the puck into the net. So while a strength (solo Ovi) has been checkmated, team weaknesses (non-solo artist production from anyone other than Ovi and Semin) have evolved into strengths.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Funkyalligator

Indeed gone are the days when shutting down Ovie has led to the caps losing. According to the media Ovie hadn't played well all year and yet he is still averaging a point a game with defenses geared to stop him.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM
tycoonheart

Its not even a "benching".

Geez, he we wasn't on the ice during the empty netter. SO? Backy, and Laich's line had been amazing the entire game. They deserved to get a shot at tying the game at the end.

Its not like Ovi sat during the OT. He was out there and had a sweet kick to Nicky that got the winning goal.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
bonzilla

Completly screwed with Randy's strategy when OV wasn't on the ice/didn't jump on after the puck droped..very sly on BB's part.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote