HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brett Connolly

Old
10-26-2011, 10:22 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
If Yzerman cared more about making his moves look good than winning woudn't we still have Ellis?
Annnnd BOOM goes the dynamite.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
TBLHoser

Well, Vinny had 13G, 15A in 82 games as a rookie and the #1 pick overall in his first season, so who's to say what will happen.....I think it was really a toss up as long as he doesn't let up now that he's staying here.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:18 AM
HockeySport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Making him look good? Really? His decision to keep Connolly made him look sane and someone with a common sense. Its obvious that all you look at are his stats rather than his play on ice. The kid creates chances. Ever since he was moved to play with Vinny and Marty their production increased. Its not all about stats and personal accolade its what you can create on the ice and boy does he ever.
It is really simple.
Most hockey folks (I mean more than a few individuals - scouts, former coaches, players, etc., guys really in the know) have raised eyebrows and are surprised with the selection of a player with two secondary assists over nine games with the amount of TOI BC was given to be awarded an spot on the TBL roster. Yeah, we all get Yzerman's PR spin about how he "makes the team better." Please - "better than what?"

BC has played fabulously (maybe) for a young man and he will hopefully turn into a something special. If it is just his intangibles that make him so special so far will these same intangibles make him remarkable over the next 9 games? Look at his rookie forward colleagues on other NHL teams - 18 and 19 year olds that are and are not staying with their NHL teams --- zero goals has not provided their passes to NHL roster spots - Check out Nugent.

What about the next 9 games? How about two more secondary assists? Making the team better? Intangibles? Yes... not everything shows up on the score sheet for sure. But, if the scoresheet doesn't look better for him intangibles will become intangible.

Bottom-line... BC is Mr. Yzerman's first, first round pick and he (BC) has been given a big, big pass into the show... hope for the best, be prepared to scratch your head.

HockeySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySport View Post
It is really simple.
Most hockey folks (I mean more than a few individuals - scouts, former coaches, players, etc., guys really in the know) have raised eyebrows and are surprised with the selection of a player with two secondary assists over nine games with the amount of TOI BC was given to be awarded an spot on the TBL roster. Yeah, we all get Yzerman's PR spin about how he "makes the team better." Please - "better than what?"

BC has played fabulously (maybe) for a young man and he will hopefully turn into a something special. If it is just his intangibles that make him so special so far will these same intangibles make him remarkable over the next 9 games? Look at his rookie forward colleagues on other NHL teams - 18 and 19 year olds that are and are not staying with their NHL teams --- zero goals has not provided their passes to NHL roster spots - Check out Nugent.

What about the next 9 games? How about two more secondary assists? Making the team better? Intangibles? Yes... not everything shows up on the score sheet for sure. But, if the scoresheet doesn't look better for him intangibles will become intangible.

Bottom-line... BC is Mr. Yzerman's first, first round pick and he (BC) has been given a big, big pass into the show... hope for the best, be prepared to scratch your head.
Source?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Most hockey folks (I mean more than a few individuals - scouts, former coaches, players, etc., guys really in the know)
Anytime I read something like this I think of Fox News and their "Some people say" line they put before direct opinionated commentary. They do it so that it appears as if they're reporting, but they're really just editorializing.

Source or gtfo.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
BoltSTH

I think it is the right decision.
He has shown he as the ability to be on the top lines, taking advantage of the best coaching, and learning a lot from his peers like MSL and VL4.

He is getting better each game, and I expect him to follow his projection to be an elite player in the NHL. But for for his injury he could have been a top 3 pick.

+/- is often a deceiving stat, be he is +5.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Source?
I wonder the same.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
tightightight

Quote:
It is really simple.

Again, someone who is completely blinded by stats. That is all the arguments against not keeping him which is pretty dumb.

tightightight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:57 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Hahah, you know, those people he knows

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think hes more of a Ryan Shannon fan looking at his posts.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:13 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
You mean it's not some vast conspiracy orchestrated by Yzerman and Boucher to protect Stevie's fragile ego?

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Good point. Why doesn't Yzerman care as much about making his free agent signing look good as his draft pick?

Shouldn't Shannon be getting top line and top powerplay minutes? Yzerman is so concerned about looking good about everything but poor Shannon.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Fact is Connolly has played well so far. He hasnt given them a reason to send him back to Juniors. Shannon I think is still learning how to play in this system so thats why he hasnt played as much. Connolly has already been around the system for over a year now and is reliable right now even though he isnt scoring goals.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Big congrats to Brett Connolly for earning the right to stay beyond his 9 game trial. From a cap stand point, yes, his 1st year of his ELC is in effect, but from a management standpoint, I don't think for one second if he starts slacking off they won't still send him back to junior, regardless. He'll have to keep bringing it every night.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:19 PM
HockeySport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Source?
One scout and one agent from (one of if not the) largest hockey representation agency in the world (Toronto); one former NY Ranger (from PEI); retired NHL referee (Boston area)... among others...

HockeySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:29 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
One scout and one agent from (one of if not the) largest hockey representation agency in the world (Toronto); one former NY Ranger (from PEI); retired NHL referee (Boston area)... among others...
Names? Or links to quotes? Or info on why we should care about what an ex-player, an ex-referee or an agent think about Brett Connolly. One scout doesn't really ruffle my feathers much. Who are the "among others"?

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Man, so you like, KNOW them?

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
I'm willing to take Yzerman and Boucher (you know, the guys who have followed Connolly the most) a hodgepodge of unnamed "insiders"looking at score sheets

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Oilrider

Scored his first goal tonight. congrats to him.

Oilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Hey guys, congrats to Connolly! Horak made our opening night roster without registering a single point in the preseason. We kept him in our lineup because of his hockey sense and IQ despite having a fair bit of depth at centre. The move paid off, he had a goal and an assist in 2 consecutive games playing on our 3rd line. Boucher and Yzerman are excellent hockey guys and they would of not kept Connolly up if having him in the lineup did not make the Bolts a better team. If he stays on that line, its a matter of time before the kid starts producing.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Hey guys, congrats to Connolly! Horak made our opening night roster without registering a single point in the preseason. We kept him in our lineup because of his hockey sense and IQ despite having a fair bit of depth at centre. The move paid off, he had a goal and an assist in 2 consecutive games playing on our 3rd line. Boucher and Yzerman are excellent hockey guys and they would of not kept Connolly up if having him in the lineup did not make the Bolts a better team. If he stays on that line, its a matter of time before the kid starts producing.
Um Connolly did score in the preseason. He scored a pretty damn nasty goal actually.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Um Connolly did score in the preseason. He scored a pretty damn nasty goal actually.
I know, I was referring to Horak making OUR team without registering a point. I was just making a point that a player can contribute to alot of other areas besides the scoresheet and still have a postive influence on the game. I think Connolly looks like he may start to break out somewhat soon.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:11 AM
DekeR

It just boiled down to the best place for Connolly to advanced his competitive skill level. He wasn't eligible for the AHL and the W offered nothing new.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

2 goals, 3 assists and +4 in 14 games? I'll take that anyday, he's progressing very well as a rookie. As for scratching my head, I might do that as it has been rather itchy today.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:47 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
After playing a season-low 5:08 Tuesday against the Capitals and saying of himself, "I have to get better (defensively)".

It was no surprise that rookie RW Brett Connolly was a healthy scratch against the Jets.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/1213701

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote