HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
  #251
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Libertine's point is that the organization did nothing to help Richards with the media.

Actually, Holmgren made things worse and is personally responsible for the whole thing to begin with. So..perhaps they're learning from past mistakes.
That "lack of protection" from the organization indicates that Richards's fate was sealed long before the actual trade.

Am I reading too much into it?

CSKA1974 is offline  
Old
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
  #252
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake
 
Ironmanrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cologne, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Neither of these are bad contracts. Pronger will probably retire at 40 because he gets like 1m in the last 2 years. When he retires cap hit gone!
Lilja makes like 700k...his figure isn't going to cause any problems...
Why is ANYONE not named ed snider worried about Bryz's last 4 years. It's not your money and his hit will be removed if necessary. I have no doubt.

Itīs all about cap space, not about money. Snider can throw 100 Millions under the bus when he want too. I canīt care less about it.

But 35+ contracts stayed after retirement or injury.... inform yourself before telling your opinion. Why just ask if you donīt know it exactly?

Ironmanrulez is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 08:50 AM
  #253
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
So Richards struggles with the media and the Flyers do absolutely nothing to help him out, but Bryz plays poorly for a handful of games and the media goes under the bus. I wonder about this organization at times.
Well, he WAS the Captain, so talking to the media was part of his job, whether he was up to it or not.

And how do you know what help he may have been given? Are you aware of any media training or advice Richards might have been given, like 'just tell them the truth instead of mumbling mindless platitudes?'

When the partying stories first broke, the team defended them.

When it was clear it had been a mistake to make him captain so young, they acquired Pronger to teach him how to be a captain (Pronger's words).

They asked him to go to the Olympics and hang around with Pronger instead of partying.

I don't know what else they could have done, but if they did something different, it's because they've learned their lesson, which is good, isn't it?

You criticize the organization no matter what they do, whether they learn and adapt or stay the same. We get it.

Larry44 is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
  #254
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,531
vCash: 156
The olympics thing is sheer delusion.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
  #255
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
Itīs all about cap space, not about money. Snider can throw 100 Millions under the bus when he want too. I canīt care less about it.

But 35+ contracts stayed after retirement or injury.... inform yourself before telling your opinion. Why just ask if you donīt know it exactly?
Well, I read it somewhere recently. So I'm sure the blogger or "reporter" who mentioned retirement was incorrect or old information.

The cap number doesn't matter if you have an owner willing to eat the salary. There are ways to "clear" it.

LTIR is working perfectly fine on "clearing" the cap salary from Lappys 35+ deal...so injury IS clearable.

I never thought Brian Campbell's contract could be moved...and it was. Anything is possible.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
  #256
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
LTIR would be the only way to deal with Pronger's caphit if he retires due to injury.

If he retires healthy, we are stuck

thelos is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
  #257
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
LTIR would be the only way to deal with Pronger's caphit if he retires due to injury.

If he retires healthy, we are stuck
Well his contract would be very appealing to a cap floor team?

5 mil cap hit for some toss away consideration. Have to actually be traded before he retires I'm sure.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
  #258
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The olympics thing is sheer delusion.
It's pretty amazing isn't it? I guess Yzerman agreed to take him so Pronger could babysit him and it had nothing to do with him making the team based on his play. Wow. Just Wow.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
  #259
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's pretty amazing isn't it? I guess Yzerman agreed to take him so Pronger could babysit him and it had nothing to do with him making the team based on his play. Wow. Just Wow.
Perhaps it's being read incorrectly? Perhaps the op meant when Richards went to the olympics he was asked to hang with prongs?

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
  #260
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
To those of you who think Bryzgalov is a bust, and that we should've pursued Vokoun, what do you say about games like yesterday's one against the Islanders? Clearly, the guy can have horrendous nights, as well, and it wasn't the first one this season.

So you know, let's just be stoked on having a Russian duo in the net

Ryker is offline  
Old
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
  #261
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,531
vCash: 156
I don't think he's a bust, I just think his contract is garbage.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
  #262
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think he's a bust, I just think his contract is garbage.
Expensive garbage.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
11-07-2011, 07:09 AM
  #263
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, he WAS the Captain, so talking to the media was part of his job, whether he was up to it or not.

And how do you know what help he may have been given? Are you aware of any media training or advice Richards might have been given, like 'just tell them the truth instead of mumbling mindless platitudes?'

When the partying stories first broke, the team defended them.

When it was clear it had been a mistake to make him captain so young, they acquired Pronger to teach him how to be a captain (Pronger's words).

They asked him to go to the Olympics and hang around with Pronger instead of partying.

I don't know what else they could have done, but if they did something different, it's because they've learned their lesson, which is good, isn't it?

You criticize the organization no matter what they do, whether they learn and adapt or stay the same. We get it.
Paul Holmgren is the one that broke the partying stories. If Paul Holmgren doesn't give an absolutely moronic interview with Wayne Fish in the summer, there is no story, just rumor and innuendo and the media wasn't going to run with it. When the GM opens his mouth critically in public, suddenly they have meat. So when they come back that fall you have a ******* like Carchidi that won't stop asking about it, writing about it, and then Richards decides he isn't talking to em anymore.

Paul Holmgren, who is a nitwit talking to the media, is hugely responsible for it. On top of that Richards was never, at any point, comfortable talking to the Philly media... So, it's their own fault there to begin with.

Jester is offline  
Old
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
  #264
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Hey, just be glad we don't have Boucher anymore

shipwreck is offline  
Old
11-12-2011, 03:48 AM
  #265
ipel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.

ipel is offline  
Old
11-12-2011, 04:11 AM
  #266
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipel View Post
He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.
Jonas Gustavvson.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
  #267
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Jonas Gustavvson.
I never understood the whole Gustavson hype.

He has good reflexes but looked awful positionally at times, i.e. when playing for Sweden in the World Championships, before making the jump to NA.
And then those weird heart issues have been holding him back...

dats81 is offline  
Old
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
  #268
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
I did not see the game, and don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the goals tonight, but what I've noticed is that he lacks urgency. He never seems to really go out of his way to make a save, and once he sees that there's a 99% chance he won't make it, he doesn't even try. Again, I only saw the highlights, so maybe I'm wrong, but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this are. I still think we need to give him time before making any definitive judgements, but I think this is one of the things he does need to improve on.

Ryker is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM
  #269
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipel View Post
He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.
cool hes dominating a level of hockey a notch or 2 below the NHL. I think we have seen this before havent we?

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
  #270
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipel View Post
He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.
First, the best goalie in Europe at the moment is probably Joacim Eriksson who is currently minus Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, and Tim Erixon while putting up 1.52 GAA with a .940 SV% through 11 GP (he still splits time with Hadelov who is at 2.35 GAA and .898 SV%).

Second, Bryzgalov won't be worth his contract for what amounts to a pretty simple reality that exists: Goaltenders Are A Product Of The Team More Than They Are A Product Of Themselves.

That said, Bryzgalov is far too talented for this recent streak to keep him down. His numbers will shoot back up again eventually. One thing I will point out though is that he is FAR less sheltered in Philadelphia than he was in Phoenix. We have a better defense, but we use that defense in a much more aggressive way because we have the talent to allow for such a thing.

CS is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 08:01 AM
  #271
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
First, the best goalie in Europe at the moment is probably Joacim Eriksson who is currently minus Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, and Tim Erixon while putting up 1.52 GAA with a .940 SV% through 11 GP (he still splits time with Hadelov who is at 2.35 GAA and .898 SV%).

Second, Bryzgalov won't be worth his contract for what amounts to a pretty simple reality that exists: Goaltenders Are A Product Of The Team More Than They Are A Product Of Themselves.

That said, Bryzgalov is far too talented for this recent streak to keep him down. His numbers will shoot back up again eventually. One thing I will point out though is that he is FAR less sheltered in Philadelphia than he was in Phoenix. We have a better defense, but we use that defense in a much more aggressive way because we have the talent to allow for such a thing.
No, he isn't. If he is the best goalie in Europe at just 21 yo, you can be damn sure that he would have played for Sweden in Karjala Cup. He is having a really solid season so far though, and if he keeps it up he likely will represent Sweden in one of the Euro Hockey Tour tournaments later on in the season. Not so sure he will challenge for a place on the WC roster though, it depends a lot on who will be available from the NHL and if the other goalies are willing to go. Best goalie in SEL so far has been this kid who came out of nowhere (or as it is otherwise known, Denmark), Frederik Andersen, and the title of best Swedish goalie in Europe belongs to Viktor Fasth imo.

Skellefteå is, on paper, looking weaker on defense this year. That is true. But they play a very strong defensive game and have some of the best defensive forwards in the SEL.

On the Bryzgalov topic, I'm sure his numbers will pick up. He is a better goalie than he has shown so far. The rest of the team has to step up their game defensively as well, though. Last night was a ****ing embarassment the first period. That said, it's those games we kind of want Bryzgalov to steal for us.

mirimon is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 09:06 AM
  #272
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I did not see the game, and don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the goals tonight, but what I've noticed is that he lacks urgency. He never seems to really go out of his way to make a save, and once he sees that there's a 99% chance he won't make it, he doesn't even try. Again, I only saw the highlights, so maybe I'm wrong, but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this are. I still think we need to give him time before making any definitive judgements, but I think this is one of the things he does need to improve on.
He def could be blamed on the third goal and Lavi said as much. Moreover his Leightonesque save percentage is insulting right now and the fact that Mike Smith is showing him up in Phoenix adds to the insult.

Obviously, he is playing avg to below avg thus far. He hasn't really stolen many games if any. He needs to be way better and yes he gets lazy and doesn't bear down on second and third chances. He is def too talented to play mediocre like he has. It just seems mental. Anyway, I suppose he has 8 more years to prove himself....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 10:14 AM
  #273
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 500
I have a bad feeling that this contract is going to be the worst yet. The guy is a total flake to start with and is like a deer in the headlights in net. The weight of a big contract can be very heavy on a person who doesn't have the right personality for it and when you add in the fact that he plays in front of a full house every night and that many of those fans will boo almost anything, the weight is heavier. Then you add in the Philly media and I don't know how this guy is going to handle the pressure further on down the line.

If the media turns on him like they did on Richards, watch out. It will get ugly.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
  #274
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Here's me wishfully thinking he has the mental strength of Carey Price.

Ryker is offline  
Old
11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
  #275
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I have a bad feeling that this contract is going to be the worst yet. The guy is a total flake to start with and is like a deer in the headlights in net. The weight of a big contract can be very heavy on a person who doesn't have the right personality for it and when you add in the fact that he plays in front of a full house every night and that many of those fans will boo almost anything, the weight is heavier. Then you add in the Philly media and I don't know how this guy is going to handle the pressure further on down the line.

If the media turns on him like they did on Richards, watch out. It will get ugly.
He will be fine. The media are a joke in philly and everyone knows it. When he puts up a string of 6-7 good games watch the media call him the next coming of christ like they did to start the season. The fact is, He's a top level goaltender thats being left out to dry by his Defense. When Chris Pronger is in the team he looks like an all-star. It's no surprise.

Spongolium* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.