HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Libertine's point is that the organization did nothing to help Richards with the media.

Actually, Holmgren made things worse and is personally responsible for the whole thing to begin with. So..perhaps they're learning from past mistakes.
That "lack of protection" from the organization indicates that Richards's fate was sealed long before the actual trade.

Am I reading too much into it?

Old
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Neither of these are bad contracts. Pronger will probably retire at 40 because he gets like 1m in the last 2 years. When he retires cap hit gone!
Lilja makes like 700k...his figure isn't going to cause any problems...
Why is ANYONE not named ed snider worried about Bryz's last 4 years. It's not your money and his hit will be removed if necessary. I have no doubt.

Itīs all about cap space, not about money. Snider can throw 100 Millions under the bus when he want too. I canīt care less about it.

But 35+ contracts stayed after retirement or injury.... inform yourself before telling your opinion. Why just ask if you donīt know it exactly?

Old
11-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
So Richards struggles with the media and the Flyers do absolutely nothing to help him out, but Bryz plays poorly for a handful of games and the media goes under the bus. I wonder about this organization at times.
Well, he WAS the Captain, so talking to the media was part of his job, whether he was up to it or not.

And how do you know what help he may have been given? Are you aware of any media training or advice Richards might have been given, like 'just tell them the truth instead of mumbling mindless platitudes?'

When the partying stories first broke, the team defended them.

When it was clear it had been a mistake to make him captain so young, they acquired Pronger to teach him how to be a captain (Pronger's words).

They asked him to go to the Olympics and hang around with Pronger instead of partying.

I don't know what else they could have done, but if they did something different, it's because they've learned their lesson, which is good, isn't it?

You criticize the organization no matter what they do, whether they learn and adapt or stay the same. We get it.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The olympics thing is sheer delusion.

11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
Itīs all about cap space, not about money. Snider can throw 100 Millions under the bus when he want too. I canīt care less about it.

But 35+ contracts stayed after retirement or injury.... inform yourself before telling your opinion. Why just ask if you donīt know it exactly?
Well, I read it somewhere recently. So I'm sure the blogger or "reporter" who mentioned retirement was incorrect or old information.

The cap number doesn't matter if you have an owner willing to eat the salary. There are ways to "clear" it.

LTIR is working perfectly fine on "clearing" the cap salary from Lappys 35+ deal...so injury IS clearable.

I never thought Brian Campbell's contract could be moved...and it was. Anything is possible.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
thelos
Bunk

LTIR would be the only way to deal with Pronger's caphit if he retires due to injury.

If he retires healthy, we are stuck

Old
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
LTIR would be the only way to deal with Pronger's caphit if he retires due to injury.

If he retires healthy, we are stuck
Well his contract would be very appealing to a cap floor team?

5 mil cap hit for some toss away consideration. Have to actually be traded before he retires I'm sure.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
The olympics thing is sheer delusion.
It's pretty amazing isn't it? I guess Yzerman agreed to take him so Pronger could babysit him and it had nothing to do with him making the team based on his play. Wow. Just Wow.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's pretty amazing isn't it? I guess Yzerman agreed to take him so Pronger could babysit him and it had nothing to do with him making the team based on his play. Wow. Just Wow.
Perhaps it's being read incorrectly? Perhaps the op meant when Richards went to the olympics he was asked to hang with prongs?

Old
11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Ryker

To those of you who think Bryzgalov is a bust, and that we should've pursued Vokoun, what do you say about games like yesterday's one against the Islanders? Clearly, the guy can have horrendous nights, as well, and it wasn't the first one this season.

So you know, let's just be stoked on having a Russian duo in the net

Old
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't think he's a bust, I just think his contract is garbage.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't think he's a bust, I just think his contract is garbage.
Expensive garbage.

Old
11-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, he WAS the Captain, so talking to the media was part of his job, whether he was up to it or not.

And how do you know what help he may have been given? Are you aware of any media training or advice Richards might have been given, like 'just tell them the truth instead of mumbling mindless platitudes?'

When the partying stories first broke, the team defended them.

When it was clear it had been a mistake to make him captain so young, they acquired Pronger to teach him how to be a captain (Pronger's words).

They asked him to go to the Olympics and hang around with Pronger instead of partying.

I don't know what else they could have done, but if they did something different, it's because they've learned their lesson, which is good, isn't it?

You criticize the organization no matter what they do, whether they learn and adapt or stay the same. We get it.
Paul Holmgren is the one that broke the partying stories. If Paul Holmgren doesn't give an absolutely moronic interview with Wayne Fish in the summer, there is no story, just rumor and innuendo and the media wasn't going to run with it. When the GM opens his mouth critically in public, suddenly they have meat. So when they come back that fall you have a ******* like Carchidi that won't stop asking about it, writing about it, and then Richards decides he isn't talking to em anymore.

Paul Holmgren, who is a nitwit talking to the media, is hugely responsible for it. On top of that Richards was never, at any point, comfortable talking to the Philly media... So, it's their own fault there to begin with.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey, just be glad we don't have Boucher anymore

Old
11-12-2011, 03:48 AM
ipel

He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.

Old
11-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipel View Post
He really aint worth it as Hovinen will take his place next year. Best goalie in the europe at the moment.
Jonas Gustavvson.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Jonas Gustavvson.
I never understood the whole Gustavson hype.

He has good reflexes but looked awful positionally at times, i.e. when playing for Sweden in the World Championships, before making the jump to NA.
And then those weird heart issues have been holding him back...

Old
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Ryker

I did not see the game, and don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the goals tonight, but what I've noticed is that he lacks urgency. He never seems to really go out of his way to make a save, and once he sees that there's a 99% chance he won't make it, he doesn't even try. Again, I only saw the highlights, so maybe I'm wrong, but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this are. I still think we need to give him time before making any definitive judgements, but I think this is one of the things he does need to improve on.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
cool hes dominating a level of hockey a notch or 2 below the NHL. I think we have seen this before havent we?

Old
11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
First, the best goalie in Europe at the moment is probably Joacim Eriksson who is currently minus Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, and Tim Erixon while putting up 1.52 GAA with a .940 SV% through 11 GP (he still splits time with Hadelov who is at 2.35 GAA and .898 SV%).

Second, Bryzgalov won't be worth his contract for what amounts to a pretty simple reality that exists: Goaltenders Are A Product Of The Team More Than They Are A Product Of Themselves.

That said, Bryzgalov is far too talented for this recent streak to keep him down. His numbers will shoot back up again eventually. One thing I will point out though is that he is FAR less sheltered in Philadelphia than he was in Phoenix. We have a better defense, but we use that defense in a much more aggressive way because we have the talent to allow for such a thing.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:01 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
First, the best goalie in Europe at the moment is probably Joacim Eriksson who is currently minus Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, and Tim Erixon while putting up 1.52 GAA with a .940 SV% through 11 GP (he still splits time with Hadelov who is at 2.35 GAA and .898 SV%).

Second, Bryzgalov won't be worth his contract for what amounts to a pretty simple reality that exists: Goaltenders Are A Product Of The Team More Than They Are A Product Of Themselves.

That said, Bryzgalov is far too talented for this recent streak to keep him down. His numbers will shoot back up again eventually. One thing I will point out though is that he is FAR less sheltered in Philadelphia than he was in Phoenix. We have a better defense, but we use that defense in a much more aggressive way because we have the talent to allow for such a thing.
No, he isn't. If he is the best goalie in Europe at just 21 yo, you can be damn sure that he would have played for Sweden in Karjala Cup. He is having a really solid season so far though, and if he keeps it up he likely will represent Sweden in one of the Euro Hockey Tour tournaments later on in the season. Not so sure he will challenge for a place on the WC roster though, it depends a lot on who will be available from the NHL and if the other goalies are willing to go. Best goalie in SEL so far has been this kid who came out of nowhere (or as it is otherwise known, Denmark), Frederik Andersen, and the title of best Swedish goalie in Europe belongs to Viktor Fasth imo.

Skellefteå is, on paper, looking weaker on defense this year. That is true. But they play a very strong defensive game and have some of the best defensive forwards in the SEL.

On the Bryzgalov topic, I'm sure his numbers will pick up. He is a better goalie than he has shown so far. The rest of the team has to step up their game defensively as well, though. Last night was a ****ing embarassment the first period. That said, it's those games we kind of want Bryzgalov to steal for us.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I did not see the game, and don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the goals tonight, but what I've noticed is that he lacks urgency. He never seems to really go out of his way to make a save, and once he sees that there's a 99% chance he won't make it, he doesn't even try. Again, I only saw the highlights, so maybe I'm wrong, but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this are. I still think we need to give him time before making any definitive judgements, but I think this is one of the things he does need to improve on.
He def could be blamed on the third goal and Lavi said as much. Moreover his Leightonesque save percentage is insulting right now and the fact that Mike Smith is showing him up in Phoenix adds to the insult.

Obviously, he is playing avg to below avg thus far. He hasn't really stolen many games if any. He needs to be way better and yes he gets lazy and doesn't bear down on second and third chances. He is def too talented to play mediocre like he has. It just seems mental. Anyway, I suppose he has 8 more years to prove himself....

Old
11-24-2011, 10:14 AM
MsWoof

I have a bad feeling that this contract is going to be the worst yet. The guy is a total flake to start with and is like a deer in the headlights in net. The weight of a big contract can be very heavy on a person who doesn't have the right personality for it and when you add in the fact that he plays in front of a full house every night and that many of those fans will boo almost anything, the weight is heavier. Then you add in the Philly media and I don't know how this guy is going to handle the pressure further on down the line.

If the media turns on him like they did on Richards, watch out. It will get ugly.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Ryker

Here's me wishfully thinking he has the mental strength of Carey Price.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I have a bad feeling that this contract is going to be the worst yet. The guy is a total flake to start with and is like a deer in the headlights in net. The weight of a big contract can be very heavy on a person who doesn't have the right personality for it and when you add in the fact that he plays in front of a full house every night and that many of those fans will boo almost anything, the weight is heavier. Then you add in the Philly media and I don't know how this guy is going to handle the pressure further on down the line.

If the media turns on him like they did on Richards, watch out. It will get ugly.
He will be fine. The media are a joke in philly and everyone knows it. When he puts up a string of 6-7 good games watch the media call him the next coming of christ like they did to start the season. The fact is, He's a top level goaltender thats being left out to dry by his Defense. When Chris Pronger is in the team he looks like an all-star. It's no surprise.

Closed Thread