HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Staios Contract Extension

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Staios Contract Extension

Before the season got underway there was some talk in the media that Lowe was trying to get Staios signed for a few more years, does anyone know what ever came of that?

The last I heard Staios was still headed for free agency after this season, has Lowe given up?

Old
10-28-2003, 07:19 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

just a wild guess maybe he is waiting till the comrie situation is figured out before he considers dealing with staios agent.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:23 PM
zamboni

I pray to God every night that Staios gets resigned.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Brewer isn't ready yet, and thats ok. But until then, Staios IS easily our number one. He is quickly emerging as a guy who no matter the team would be a top four - he brings SO many great things to the table that he isn't just a third pairing filler anymore.

Getting him re-signed if there is hockey next year is absolutely instrumental, unless we pick up some defense in a Comrie deal or after the CBA can sign a FA to take his place.

I would be willing to guess that a 3 year 6 million package would easily get it done (2 million/year). Might even be LESS then that - I don't know.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:31 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

no doubt i hope a contract can be signed, please heres hoping.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:53 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26

Getting him re-signed if there is hockey next year is absolutely instrumental, unless we pick up some defense in a Comrie deal or after the CBA can sign a FA to take his place.
I would have to guess that the number of UFA D would be higher than any recent time after a lockout (due to teams letting players go to get finances in order pre-lockout, and potentially because the UFA age coudl be lowered making a bunch of RFA's UFA's), so even if Staois leaves it's probably not an absolute disaster

Quote:
I would be willing to guess that a 3 year 6 million package would easily get it done (2 million/year). Might even be LESS then that - I don't know.
I doubt that would get it done at this point (eg. Devries contract), unless Staois is happy here and doesn't really want to quibble. He can probably get more than that as a UFA, but then again maybe the risk isn't worth it in Staois's mind? Maybe it's more reasonable than I'd think?

Old
10-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I would have to guess that the number of UFA D would be higher than any recent time after a lockout (due to teams letting players go to get finances in order pre-lockout, and potentially because the UFA age coudl be lowered making a bunch of RFA's UFA's), so even if Staois leaves it's probably not an absolute disaster

I doubt that would get it done at this point (eg. Devries contract), unless Staois is happy here and doesn't really want to quibble. He can probably get more than that as a UFA, but then again maybe the risk isn't worth it in Staois's mind? Maybe it's more reasonable than I'd think?
Staios has said that playing in Edmonton has kick-started his career. Aside from his personalitiy he was a dime a dozen hockey player for most of his career. Since coming here, confidence and opportunity have given him a chance to develop into a much improved player.

He should want to stay, perhaps for even less than he could get somewhere else, if only to show his appreciation to the Oil. He might also consider that moving to another team might just set his career back again (see Ulanov).

I think Staios should and will sign. It should be a long term contract for less money-1.6 to1.8 million, similar the what Ethan Moreau took in order to stay here. I definately wouldn't go higher than that as he may be top four now but definately not top two on most teams.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Brewer isn't ready yet, and thats ok. But until then, Staios IS easily our number one. He is quickly emerging as a guy who no matter the team would be a top four - he brings SO many great things to the table that he isn't just a third pairing filler anymore.

Even if we were to get another defenseman, that shouldn't change anything, All that will do is maybe push Steve Staios to number 2 or 3 on the depth chart. If we trade for a defenseman, and then let Stevey go in the off season, how does that improve our defense? IMO, Jason Smith gets shipped out before Steve Staios does.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:20 AM
krooky

staios is a beauty and should stay for the long hall. i remember hearing at the end of the year a couple years back that he was likely going to retire and they never reallt said why. now i thank my lucky stars that he didn't and became one of the best players no one knows about.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Staios has said that playing in Edmonton has kick-started his career. Aside from his personalitiy he was a dime a dozen hockey player for most of his career. Since coming here, confidence and opportunity have given him a chance to develop into a much improved player.

He should want to stay, perhaps for even less than he could get somewhere else, if only to show his appreciation to the Oil. He might also consider that moving to another team might just set his career back again (see Ulanov).

I think Staios should and will sign. It should be a long term contract for less money-1.6 to1.8 million, similar the what Ethan Moreau took in order to stay here. I definately wouldn't go higher than that as he may be top four now but definately not top two on most teams.
As far as the Ulanov scenario is concerned, sure the guy's career took a nosedive but he got all the money he ever wanted out of the contract he signed - $2M/season or some such. Staios should easily make more than that and would probably be on a contender to boot, he could be faced with some very tempting offers and I wouldn't blame him if he bailed on us.

IMo if he isn't signed soon he's going to be a goner one way or the other, maybe the Oilers can trade him at the deadline to a team that is able to sign him. They might get a couple of 2nd rounders or something.

I've just made my first official "Staios trade speculation" post, I feel like dirt.

Hey this new smiley rox! :moon: I feel a bit better now.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:43 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Hey this new smiley rox! :moon:
Cheeky little graphic I'm holding in reserve for just the right kind of response to that occasionally deserved comment.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:32 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Staios is nothing but class. He should be our Captain if Smith ever leaves.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Staios is nothing but class. He should be our Captain if Smith ever leaves.
Naa, Smytty and Moreau are ahead of him. But no doubt as long as he is here, he will have an "A" on his chest.

Closed Thread