HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GMs call for mandatory visors (from the Leafs board)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
  #51
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm all for personal freedom, but I'm of the opinion that if you are in a position where a career ending injury can end up costing other people a LOT, the least you can do is at least take the minimum step to prevent such an injury. A visor is a minor step, and I fail to see why it's such a big deal. Or, I guess you can be selfish. Whichever.

(obviously not you personally, but "you" as a hypothetical hockey player who doesn't want to wear a visor because he thinks it will shrink his balls or something.)
I'm with you (and I mean "you" personally; not third-person indirect) on this. I like seeing a league that has a real -- not just financial -- interest in the men who play their game. Beyond that, I want to see the best players, especially on the Flyers, out there every game giving their all. And it is indeed just common sense to put on a low-hindrance, high-protection piece of equipment as a visor.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
  #52
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Apparently lots of players do care and have deemed them necessary. Many more players wear visors now than don't.
I've said all along, if that's the case then ok. If the players are for it then rock and roll.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:28 AM
  #53
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 31,753
vCash: 500
I wonder how Don will react to this?

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:30 AM
  #54
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
I wonder how Don will react to this?
I predict he will wear something goofy.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
  #55
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's a little different. Head injuries are regular occurrences and with no helmets would be even more of an issue. How many people in the last 10 years have had serious injuries that could have been prevented with a visor? I can think of two.

Like I said, if this was an ongoing concern and people were dropping like flies, then ok.
You can think of two "major" injuries that resulted by not wearing a visor? What about a lot of minor injuries that would not have occurred. And, I'm pretty sure that in all of hockey that the use of a visor would have prevented a lot more than 2 serious injuries.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
  #56
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPucksDeep View Post
Muhammed Ali once said that his career choice was between boxing and playing football, and he chose boxing because no one could see his face in football. - and that's why cages aren't coming to the NHL..
And how's his health today?

That said, I'm not understanding your anology to the NFL? Last I checked the NFL is the most successful professional sports league in North America and their players wear cages.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
  #57
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You can think of two "major" injuries that resulted by not wearing a visor? What about a lot of minor injuries that would not have occurred. And, I'm pretty sure that in all of hockey that the use of a visor would have prevented a lot more than 2 serious injuries.
Minor injuries are not a big deal, hence the word minor. A lot of minor injuries could be prevented by adding a lot of equipment that wouldn't really affect the way the game is played or the way players function. But like I keep saying, if the players are for it then I don't care. I just don't understand why people who are not actually out there playing care about the dangers more than the people who are in fact playing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
  #58
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Minor injuries are not a big deal, hence the word minor. A lot of minor injuries could be prevented by adding a lot of equipment that wouldn't really affect the way the game is played or the way players function. But like I keep saying, if the players are for it then I don't care. I just don't understand why people who are not actually out there playing care about the dangers more than the people who are in fact playing.
An injury is an injury. If a shield or cage can prevent any injury/loss of games played then it has done its job. And, we're not talking about "adding a lot of equipment", we are talking about one piece of equipment that protects a player's head.

As of your last statement, let's say Pronger's injury didn't happen until the last week of the regular season and he was lost for the playoffs. Do you still not care that such an injury could have been prevented by a simple piece of equipment? From a fan's standpoint the outcry for wearing a shield really isn't about the player's wellbeing, but the selfish reason that they don't want the players on the team that they support get hurt.

As I have posted before, players wore full cages all through mites and high school, why is it that at the highest level where there is the most potential for injury that players take them off? Since today's kids are wearing full cages, why not have a policy of players born before a certain year (current high school kids for example) must wear full cages?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
  #59
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Minor injuries are not a big deal, hence the word minor. A lot of minor injuries could be prevented by adding a lot of equipment that wouldn't really affect the way the game is played or the way players function. But like I keep saying, if the players are for it then I don't care. I just don't understand why people who are not actually out there playing care about the dangers more than the people who are in fact playing.
Nearly 70% of the league does wears visors so I am not sure I would say the people who are playing care any less.

The other issue is some players feel like they have a stupid macho image to live up to and aren't using any sort of logic when they choose not to wear a visor.

I don't know why you find it strange that paying customers who invest a lot of money, time, and emotions into their teams care so much. Of course fans are going to care about what happens to their players. Imagine how screwed the Flyers would be if Pronger's injury was more serious.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
  #60
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
An injury is an injury. If a shield or cage can prevent any injury/loss of games played then it has done its job. And, we're not talking about "adding a lot of equipment", we are talking about one piece of equipment that protects a player's head.

As of your last statement, let's say Pronger's injury didn't happen until the last week of the regular season and he was lost for the playoffs. Do you still not care that such an injury could have been prevented by a simple piece of equipment? From a fan's standpoint the outcry for wearing a shield really isn't about the player's wellbeing, but the selfish reason that they don't want the players on the team that they support get hurt.

As I have posted before, players wore full cages all through mites and high school, why is it that at the highest level where there is the most potential for injury that players take them off? Since today's kids are wearing full cages, why not have a policy of players born before a certain year (current high school kids for example) must wear full cages?
I'm not saying injuries aren't a big deal and who cares if Pronger goes down. What I am saying is that Chris Pronger (or whoever else doesn't wear a visor) doesn't want to wear one for a reason. I don't know what those reasons, but it could be a number of things. Yes, wearing a visor MAY have helped prevent Pronger's injury. And yes it would have sucked if this was right before the playoffs. But why are you as a fan complaining that they are required to wear them because it is too dangerous? I guess I am just too "hands off" when it comes to stuff like this. If the players don't want to wear it, don't make 'em. If they do, then ok. But since it is not an epidemic or anything, I don't get why you and others are all up in arms about something that has very little effect on you. Yes Pronger got injured and Lappy got injured a few years ago, but like I said, these instances really are few and far between.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
  #61
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not saying injuries aren't a big deal and who cares if Pronger goes down. What I am saying is that Chris Pronger (or whoever else doesn't wear a visor) doesn't want to wear one for a reason. I don't know what those reasons, but it could be a number of things. Yes, wearing a visor MAY have helped prevent Pronger's injury. And yes it would have sucked if this was right before the playoffs. But why are you as a fan complaining that they are required to wear them because it is too dangerous? I guess I am just too "hands off" when it comes to stuff like this. If the players don't want to wear it, don't make 'em. If they do, then ok. But since it is not an epidemic or anything, I don't get why you and others are all up in arms about something that has very little effect on you. Yes Pronger got injured and Lappy got injured a few years ago, but like I said, these instances really are few and far between.
Actually you did say injuries aren't a big deal.

As a fan I have a rooting interest in the team and don't want to see any players, let alone the team's captain, go down with an injury that could have been prevented by wearing an extra piece of equipment that has no effect on how he skates, hits, passes or shoots.

Beyond that we will simply agree to disagree here.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:35 AM
  #62
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Nearly 70% of the league does wears visors so I am not sure I would say the people who are playing care any less.
And that's why I said if they are for it, then do it. I don't keep track of who wears visors and who doesn't, it just seemed like there were more players against this than for it. If I'm wrong I would't be surprised. If the majority likes it, then I'm sure the union and competition committee will have no problem mandating it.

Quote:
I don't know why you find it strange that paying customers who invest a lot of money, time, and emotions into their teams care so much. Of course fans are going to care about what happens to their players. Imagine how screwed the Flyers would be if Pronger's injury was more serious.
Because this is something that is player specific. You don't want them to get hurt and that is fine. But they don't want to wear the visor. They are the ones playing, why should you have a say in how they do it, let a lone a greater say? I guess we just have different opinions here.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:40 AM
  #63
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Actually you did say injuries aren't a big deal.
I said minor injuries aren't a big deal. Which they are not.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:44 AM
  #64
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I said minor injuries aren't a big deal. Which they are not.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion any injury, especially ones that can be avoided by adding a simple piece of equipment, are a big deal.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
  #65
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion any injury, especially ones that can be avoided by adding a simple piece of equipment, are a big deal.
Fair enough.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
  #66
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I predict he will wear something goofy.
I'm thinking of putting on a visor against colour clash, before each 'Coach's Corner' segment, to protect my eyes.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.