HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Does Darren Dreger bore anyone else?

Old
11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
smokinstampede*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
"For Sportscenter. I'm Darren Dreger"

(camera stops filming)

Dreger to TV set staff:

"SOMEBODY GET ME A GOD DAMN F%$##ING BAGEL!!!!!!"

smokinstampede* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
DerhaertesteChecker

No, but I hate his asinine views of physicality in hockey

DerhaertesteChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Ya he's kind of dry, but he's very to-the-point.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Plain bagel without creamcheese = Dregger
I'd say he's more of raisin bagel with low fat becel margerine.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
lyrrad

Dreger is the master of using the most amount of words to say the least. Like someone in this thread already said, he barely adds any value to a discussion. His opinions are bland and non-confrontational. He never says anything remotely interesting.

Here is a typical Dreger convo:

So Darren, will Toronto be looking to make a trade?

"The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team that are looking to make a trade. The Toronto Maple Leafs have many different assets to trade away and as such will be looking to make a trade sometime in the near future. It seems that the management group for the Toronto Maple Leafs, led by Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Dave Poulin, go down the list, is expressing interest in making a move sometime within the next few months. So to answer the question that you asked me some 3 minutes ago I can confirm that yes, in fact, the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to make a trade soon."

lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
Dreger is the master of using the most amount of words to say the least. Like someone in this thread already said, he barely adds any value to a discussion. His opinions are bland and non-confrontational. He never says anything remotely interesting.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team that are looking to make a trade. The Toronto Maple Leafs have many different assets to trade away and as such will be looking to make a trade sometime in the near future. It seems that the management group for the Toronto Maple Leafs, led by Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Dave Poulin, go down the list, is expressing interest in making a move sometime within the next few months. So to answer the question that you asked me some 3 minutes ago I can confirm that yes, in fact, the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to make a trade soon."
Read this in my head in a Dreger voice and it was hilarious.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Dreger annoys me as-well. He made a name for himself by being the guy who calls accurate trade rumours, and confidential information. Now everything he says is generic and already known to the average hockey fan. He gets on the panel by these credentials and has barely any knowledge of the sport, at least bob and crawford understand the sport and can give a good knowledgable speal. Crawford has been giving me a couple chuckles of late.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Very boring. He just talks and talks about stuff we already know 99% of the time. Hey, I guess somebody gets that job.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
My issue with Dreger is lately he seems more interested in acting like a gossip columnist than a reputable hockey news source.

Maybe the difference between MacKenzie and him is that Dreger tweets *everything* he hears, even rumors that are so far beyond the mark that it's laughable, whereas MacKenzie only tweets about stuff that's almost close to happening. But it just seems so much more of his "breaking news" ends up not happening, compared to when MacKenzie breaks the news about something.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:32 PM
SabresFan44

I have thought this for SOOO long.

He talks like every deal or rumor or headlne is the end of the world, he needs to sto being so serious.

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
He's fantastic at saying nothing.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:

spot on.
D. Dregger you are not reporting for 60 Minutes, there is simply no excuse for taking yourself so seriously.
and boring? dont get me started, even Dean Brown thinks you're droning on.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

He is pretty dull.

And that would be okay if the content was something useful. Most of the time though he doesn't have much to say to begin with. He's definitely a weak link.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Houndpower

The thing I like most about Darren is, he doesn't know what he's doing and he won't admit it.

Houndpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Our bagels made with different dough than regular bread?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

He won some award last year or the year before, and he must have shoved it up his ass because he didn't used to be this uptight and serious all the time.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

while i agree he's a bit boring at times, almost like he's a douchy news anchor, it's commical how much flak dreger gets around here. he's easily one of the best insiders around the league and has the track record to prove it. he often speaks of confirming information directly with GM's around the league. to call him a rumour monger is absolutely retarded.

i think alot of people lose sight of the fact he's paid to write about these things. just because he doesn't directly call every trade and offers sometimes vague and obvious information doesn't make him a hack. his job is to offer is opinion and what he's heard from NHL brass and player agents. pretty funny that it bothers some of you so much.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

he didn't even get to break the kaberle trade

how pathetic is that?

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:

Easily the most apt post I have seen on HFBoards in a long time.

Dreger is great at filling time with big words without having the necessary substance. Sure, I can understand that having inside scoops on a biweekly basis is difficult. However, for Dreger, it appears as if he enjoys hearing his own voice.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League are currently evaluating their roster for trade possibilities. The exact players they are looking at is not entirely clear at the moment, but sources close to the situation suggest that a top 6 forward or a top pairing defensemen are prime candidates to move. With wild speculation abound, Maple Leafs' general manager, Brian Burke, continues to work very hard to make changes to his lineup, and certainly he will have made an imprint on this team by trade deadline day.... For TSN, this is Darren Dreger."

TSN loves to plug these hollow reports on their site... "Stay tuned for the second intermission for the Dreger Report..." "Read TSN.ca for the Dreger report." Dreger on Twitter, "Leafs looking to make a trade... Read the Dreger report."

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
SJSharks2010

Blue berry Bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese from Tim Hortons.

I win.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

His stare is scary. He's like an alien wanting to invad your soul.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
jojoh07*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
His job is to be a reporter. His job is not to entertain you.
BINGO

/thread

jojoh07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
His job is to be a reporter. His job is not to entertain you.
that is 100% absolute nonsense, if that's the case then feed the lines to a robot, wait i see your point - that's what they've done.
you are completely misunderstanding the purpose of the entire existence of TSN, sportsnet, and 'sports reporting' if you believe this to be true.
Even real news has been co-opted in hybrid news/infotainment and you're going to tell me that they dont mean for sports commentator/reporter Dregger to be entertaining?

absurd.

boring = TV sets changing channels.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Dreger doesn't usually tell me anything I haven't read on HFBoards hours, or days earlier. That's what bugs me about him. He isn't really much of an "insider".

But it's possible that my expectations are

There is tons of garbage posted on here every day. Dreger is like a filter, when he gives it to you it's a legit rumour.

RE: The OP - How much non "boring" inside information do you think there is anyways. Do you want him to do some tabloid reporting and tell you who is banging who's wife or something?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
There is tons of garbage posted on here every day. Dreger is like a filter, when he gives it to you it's a legit rumour.
A legit rumour?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote