HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long till the Sabres should make a deal?

Old
11-03-2011, 01:13 AM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
How long till the Sabres should make a deal?

Just wondering how long everyone things the Sabres should wait to make a deal if things keep up as they have the past 6 games. I think they wait at least till at least mid-season. They have a lot of other options besides trading players...

1. Enroth replacing Miller as starter- I'm not saying it should be done right now. But if Enroth keeps winning, and Miller keeps losing, what can you do. It happened to Tim Thomas two years ago, and last year he won the Vezina and a Cup. I believe you keep the rotation another couple of weeks, and then see what happens.

2. Waiting for the return of Hecht & Ennis- For me Hecht is the more important of the two. But Ennis is likely to be back first, and when he does return, if the team is still playing poorly, put him in and replace whoever is the worst. Ennis has the skills to help this team out, he just needs to gain his confidence back. A game or two on the PP with Vanek and Pominville might do that for him.

But to me Hecht is more important. He does a lot of little things for this club that keep it in the right direction (puck possession, defense, etc), and I think he's the one guy who lasted from before the lockout as a veteran (Briere, Drury, Max, Kotalik, Dumont, etc.) because he understands one thing... If you play Lindy's system, and not just a few guys, but if EVERYONE plays to Lindy's system, and limits their mistakes, the team will win. I think that's a main reason Vanek is the player he is now, along with Pominville. They did't cry and moan at the things Ruff made them do instead of just go all out offensively. He made them better PLAYERS, and we see now that also translates into better offense in the long run.ds

3. Call-ups from Rochester- If the team continues to play this way, maybe he benches someone and calls up one of the guys from Rochester for a game or two? Maybe a Drew Schiestel, or Zack Kassian, etc. It might not hurt to try.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Sabretip

I'm not an advocate of making trades just for the sake of change or lateral moves that don't make that big a difference. However, with several teams around the league struggling (i.e. Boston, Calgary, Columbus), I definitely hope Regier won't hesitate to jump in with both feet on any opportunity of a major player becoming available (i.e. Iginla) just because he thinks it's still early in the season and wants to take his usual path of patience to see if the team gels.

If an impact player becomes available on the market - especially a top 6 forward or, heaven forbid, a top 2 center - I want Regier to aggressively pursue it.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Just wondering how long everyone things the Sabres should wait to make a deal if things keep up as they have the past 6 games. I think they wait at least till at least mid-season. They have a lot of other options besides trading players...

1. Enroth replacing Miller as starter- I'm not saying it should be done right now. But if Enroth keeps winning, and Miller keeps losing, what can you do. It happened to Tim Thomas two years ago, and last year he won the Vezina and a Cup. I believe you keep the rotation another couple of weeks, and then see what happens.

2. Waiting for the return of Hecht & Ennis- For me Hecht is the more important of the two. But Ennis is likely to be back first, and when he does return, if the team is still playing poorly, put him in and replace whoever is the worst. Ennis has the skills to help this team out, he just needs to gain his confidence back. A game or two on the PP with Vanek and Pominville might do that for him.

But to me Hecht is more important. He does a lot of little things for this club that keep it in the right direction (puck possession, defense, etc), and I think he's the one guy who lasted from before the lockout as a veteran (Briere, Drury, Max, Kotalik, Dumont, etc.) because he understands one thing... If you play Lindy's system, and not just a few guys, but if EVERYONE plays to Lindy's system, and limits their mistakes, the team will win. I think that's a main reason Vanek is the player he is now, along with Pominville. They did't cry and moan at the things Ruff made them do instead of just go all out offensively. He made them better PLAYERS, and we see now that also translates into better offense in the long run.ds

3. Call-ups from Rochester- If the team continues to play this way, maybe he benches someone and calls up one of the guys from Rochester for a game or two? Maybe a Drew Schiestel, or Zack Kassian, etc. It might not hurt to try.
These three things excite me, but I just feel that Hecht's impact will not be that noticeable. A hungry Ennnis is needed.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Luceni

If we bring in someone new we all have to agree that we should get a center.

I've said it before and I say it again: I want Bailey from the Islanders.

He has got a lot of potential and I think a chance of scenery could do wonders to him.

I could see us moving Grags and a pick for Bailey.

I also would loce to see it if we could move one of our high payed wingers. If we'd lose Boyes or Leino it wouldn't hurt the team, imo.

I'm also interested in moving Ennis. I've lost my faith into him, honestly.

My dream deal would be Boyes, Ennis and a first for a healthy Malking. But those kind of deals just happen in EA's NHL 2012.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:23 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
They made the following upgrades this offseason

Butler is now Regher
Montador is now Ehrhoff
Connolly is Leino

Darcy has done a LOT to improve the roster. This team doesn't need more new players, this team needs a new identity and new philosophy.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:23 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

How long should the Sabres wait until they make a deal?

If a deal presents itself that will make the team better, they should do it. Remove the heartstrings for Myers, Miller, Vanek, Ennis, Gaustad etc.... Might sound cold. Might sound bad. But no one SHOULD be an untouchable. If it makes the team better, Darcy should do it. If the goal is truely to win the cup, you fill your team with anyone who may help achieve it ie. more talented players. And move anyone who may not ie. less talented or less motivated players. Root for the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Mergus merganser

If they didn't make a move last season, I doubt they make one this year.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Dudes, it's 11 games in.

Some good games, a few stinkers, but no reason to panic just yet.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Dudes, it's 11 games in.

Some good games, a few stinkers, but no reason to panic just yet.
Completely agree at this point. I get the concern, but I think this team needs a little bit more time that it should be given. We're still just out of the gate at this point. If they go on a three game win streak this rough patch will be forgotten by many fans.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post

Butler is now Regher
Montador is now Ehrhoff
Connolly is Leino

Darcy has done a LOT to improve the roster. This team doesn't need more new players, this team needs a new identity and new philosophy.
I tend to agree with most of this, actually, 2/3rd's of it.
Regher and Ehrhoff I like in the lineup.
As sad as it is to say, Connolly was and is actually better than Leino, for several reasons, not the least of which Connolly actually played center, Leino, well not so much. And Connolly's production was better than Leino's.

Hate to burst the bubble, but my opinion of the Leino signing is the same as it was the day they announced it, a tragic mistake. At the very least Pegula just threw away 27 million dollars and by this signing tied up 4.5 mil in a cap space for the next 6 seasons, or as long as he stays up with the big club.
Just not a good move by Regier and company at all in my humble opinion.

If the Sabres are to make a deal, I would center it around Miller.
Yes, Miller.
Moving Miller, either stand alone or in a package assures the type of return at the center position necessary to be considered a significant upgrade.
And Enroth is more than ready to take on the starting job in my opinion.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:05 AM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

Hate to burst the bubble, but my opinion of the Leino signing is the same as it was the day they announced it, a tragic mistake. At the very least Pegula just threw away 27 million dollars and by this signing tied up 4.5 mil in a cap space for the next 6 seasons, or as long as he stays up with the big club.
Just not a good move by Regier and company at all in my humble opinion.
Agreed. I said it then and I've stuck by it. The Leino signing felt like a knee jerk reaction to not landing Richards. Regier, for the first time, had the keys to the Ferrari after driving a Civic his whole life and subsequently crashed it.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post

Butler is now Regher
Montador is now Ehrhoff
Connolly is Leino

This team needs a damn chance to find it's identity and develop some chemistry (some new players, all new lines/pairings).

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:44 AM
TragicallySabres

No reason to panic yet. Another month or so, and if we're still having the same problems, then yes. I don't think Miller should even be talked about moving. A bad start, sure, but is Enroth really ready to step into a 60+ starting role when he played all of 13 games last season? No. He's a great kid, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Not to mention, if we were going to center a deal around Miller, he wouldn't be the only piece moving. A team's not just going to jump at Miller, while still giving up whatever it is we may ask for on fantasy island. As for the rest of the roster, Lindy needs to let the lines stick and gain chemistry, and make them do some damn team bonding between games. We shouldn't keep our fingers so close to the panic button so early.

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

If you can get an impact player for the right price sure, but just trade for the sake of trade is stupid.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
These three things excite me, but I just feel that Hecht's impact will not be that noticeable. A hungry Ennnis is needed.
Agree 100%. This team is SLOW with Ennis out. His return will be a big dynamic for this team.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
BowieSabresFan

I figured at the start of the season that the Sabres would start slow. Mainly because of trying to fit in all the new pieces, etc...

To me only 2 things matter. First, that the Sabres make the playoffs. Second, that they are playing well at the end of the regular season.

The team will gel. Some folks really need to back away from the ledge a bit.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:10 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

The Sabres have too many cooks in the kitchen.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
They should not make a deal, just to make a deal.

Quote:
I think Miller/Enroth is a very comparable situation to Thomas/Rask a few years ago.

Quote:
Hecht is not coming back.
Ennis brings nothing this team "needs" right now.

Quote:
There are no solutions in Rochester right now.

This team has to figure itself out. It's up to them. It's still early.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote