HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers Interested in Cody Franson

Old
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
Rangers need a vet if they need to plug a D-man. They have plenty of high upside young players on the team (Erixon, McDonagh, Del Zotto, McIllrath, Sauer). Franson doesn't have the value to the Rangers that he would have to other teams. He would be a redundant piece. The Rangers probably wouldn't offer more than a 3rd for him. Toronto would say no, because they could probably get a 2nd for him from a team that lacks young defensemen with the potential to get better.
Thats true. We should have signed Souray .

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Roo

Burke was recently on the radio stating that he is not looking to trade any defender, simply to maintain the depth of the team. With the team winning, there really is no point. However, he stated that the exception always is, if he gets blown away with an offer that improves the team now and for the future, he will do it.

So, in dealing with a team that will likely challenge with us for a playoff spot, it will take a lot to get any of our defencemen.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmic Dan View Post
Franson got some of the "Nashville defenseman? Shiny!" treatment when he was traded. If a 2nd or 3rd rounder is in fact the going value for him, then I think you'll find he's more valuable to the Leafs as a depth defender than in trade at this point. Maybe later on in the season we could see a trade like that if Burke thinks he should be playing somewhere or if a guy like Aulie makes a comeback to the Leafs roster replacing him as the #6/7.

Its funny...when the trade happened everyone thought that Franson was the main piece and Lombardi might never play again - now Franson is sitting in the pressbox and Lombardi is the more valuable one. Weird how that turned out.

Zuccarrello interests me for sure from NYR. I like the guy and he doesn't seem to fit in to the Rangers top nine; however, I don't see how he fits in to the Leafs top nine at this point either. He could fill in for Armstrong on the 3rd line until the injury is over but after that he'd likely be bumped out of a spot. Also, the "Norwegian Hobbit" doesn't fill Burke's desire for another forward with some size.

MZA is probably a better fit on a team looking to fill a hole in the top nine - maybe Carolina?

Agreed. MZA gets added to the list along with Gagner & Omark of small, skilled players in need of a home.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Franson got some of the "Nashville defenseman? Shiny!" treatment when he was traded. If a 2nd or 3rd rounder is in fact the going value for him, then I think you'll find he's more valuable to the Leafs as a depth defender than in trade at this point. Maybe later on in the season we could see a trade like that if Burke thinks he should be playing somewhere or if a guy like Aulie makes a comeback to the Leafs roster replacing him as the #6/7.

Its funny...when the trade happened everyone thought that Franson was the main piece and Lombardi might never play again - now Franson is sitting in the pressbox and Lombardi is the more valuable one. Weird how that turned out.

Zuccarrello interests me for sure from NYR. I like the guy and he doesn't seem to fit in to the Rangers top nine; however, I don't see how he fits in to the Leafs top nine at this point either. He could fill in for Armstrong on the 3rd line until the injury is over but after that he'd likely be bumped out of a spot. Also, the "Norwegian Hobbit" doesn't fill Burke's desire for another forward with some size.

MZA is probably a better fit on a team looking to fill a hole in the top nine - maybe Carolina?
I think he could probably displace Bozak if he shows the right amount of skill. Armstrong will always have a checking role. Also Zucc. would likely be a staple in the 2nd power play unit. What Zucc really needs is a team to give him a shot in the top 6 with a scoring centre. That is where he could make a lot of teams wish they have given him a shot.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Agreed. MZA gets added to the list along with Gagner & Omark of small, skilled players in need of a home.
The main difference here is the Zucc hasn't really had a chance. Sam Gagner and Omark have had their time to show their ability.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Burke was recently on the radio stating that he is not looking to trade any defender, simply to maintain the depth of the team. With the team winning, there really is no point. However, he stated that the exception always is, if he gets blown away with an offer that improves the team now and for the future, he will do it.

So, in dealing with a team that will likely challenge with us for a playoff spot, it will take a lot to get any of our defencemen.
Classic Burke, driving up the market. Not that I don't believe him, I would be very surprised the Leafs stand pat the entire year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

What is the deal with Franson? Does he have an attitude problem? I know there were doings and he sat in the press box...Just don't know the details

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lundegaard View Post
What is the deal with Franson? Does he have an attitude problem? I know there were doings and he sat in the press box...Just don't know the details
We have an abundance of good dmen. Also, no one expected Jake Gardiner to play as well as he has. Hes essentially taken Franson's spot.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lundegaard View Post
Franson was outplayed by Komisarek, Gunnarsson and Gardiner in camp, who were the three he was expected to compete for a spot with (except Gardiner I suppose who kind of blew the doors off and brought the offense).Keith Aulie was outplayed too, so they sent him to the AHL. Franson beaked off right away, which made things a lot worse in my opinion. They put him in a game and he had a rough go and hasn't seen the ice since. He is a better option than Luke Schenn right now at #6, as Luke is having a rough start, but the organization has way more invested in Schenn than Franson.

Kind of a combination of being surprisingly outplayed in camp (especially by Komisarek who has been good) and then the sulky attitude following it. He'll get in there though, he is a good defender with a lot of upside.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I think he could probably displace Bozak if he shows the right amount of skill. Armstrong will always have a checking role. Also Zucc. would likely be a staple in the 2nd power play unit. What Zucc really needs is a team to give him a shot in the top 6 with a scoring centre. That is where he could make a lot of teams wish they have given him a shot.
Hmm I'm not sure about that. How is he on the defensive side of things? Bozak's strength is his faceoff ability and defensive acumen along with being a decent playmaker in his own right with room for improvement. He's been fitting in rather nicely as a 3rd line C.

Its possible I suppose. I don't think its fair to demote him for a guy who's honestly still a question mark without him giving a reason for them to (AKA struggling).

I doubt Burke makes any shakeups like that just yet.

If the Leafs do trade Franson, I'm in favour of moving him back to the West. It would suck to be burned by him .

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
Franson was outplayed by Komisarek, Gunnarsson and Gardiner in camp, who were the three he was expected to compete for a spot with (except Gardiner I suppose who kind of blew the doors off and brought the offense).Keith Aulie was outplayed too, so they sent him to the AHL. Franson beaked off right away, which made things a lot worse in my opinion. They put him in a game and he had a rough go and hasn't seen the ice since. He is a better option than Luke Schenn right now at #6, as Luke is having a rough start, but the organization has way more invested in Schenn than Franson.

Kind of a combination of being surprisingly outplayed in camp (especially by Komisarek who has been good) and then the sulky attitude following it. He'll get in there though, he is a good defender with a lot of upside.

I see. There's a surplus of quality defenders on the Leafs. Especially with the play of Gardiner.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:02 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Hmm I'm not sure about that. How is he on the defensive side of things? Bozak's strength is his faceoff ability and defensive acumen along with being a decent playmaker in his own right with room for improvement. He's been fitting in rather nicely as a 3rd line C.

Its possible I suppose. I don't think its fair to demote him for a guy who's honestly still a question mark without him giving a reason for them to (AKA struggling).

I doubt Burke makes any shakeups like that just yet.

If the Leafs do trade Franson, I'm in favour of moving him back to the West. It would suck to be burned by him .
No I agree. You shouldn't demote him for a question mark.
What I was saying is if you acquired him today (since C.Armstrong is hurt), and he excelled on the 3rd line with Lombardi, maybe he could hold that spot, with either Bozak or Armstrong being pushed down. MZA is extremely talented. His issue will always be his size because he isn't Martin St. Louis. However, I believe his hockey IQ makes up for it.

I just hope he gets a chance with a team. I think he could be a lock for 60 points with a bit of patience.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:17 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Oooohhh bottom line minutes. Whatever - bad or good +25, it's still a +25 on a playoff team
Did I ever say he was a bad defencman? no. I said he was lackluster defensively. His strength comes from puckmoving. On a team that has 3 other puckmovers who are presently playing better than him, there isn't a spot.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Rangers signed Stralman, I'd say Franson is out of the question for sure now

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Sluck13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I think some Toronto fans are way over valuing Franson. It won't be a top prospect or a top 6 player.
I actually agree with this as a Toronto fan but what leafs need is a strong center to put in between Lupal and Kesel i think a trade would mostly be franson, and another strong d for a top center

Sluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Vitto79

yep Stralman for cash instead of Franson for an asset. Buys time for Erixon to get ready as well

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Beleafer4

Leaf fans may be overvaluing franson, but we are not going to accept 3rd and 4th round picks + scrubs. A decent prospect or second rounder at the least. MZA makes no sense, we already have colborne, kadri and frattin fighting nhl spots, and thats with armstrong injured.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:33 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
No he wouldn't. Bozak's major value to the Leafs is as a checker who can win a draw, but also be more effective once the play has started than David Steckel.

Zucc wouldn't be a staple on the 2nd powerplay either, as there isn't a reason to break up one of the top 2 lines to put him out there.

Furthermore, if the Leafs wanted to get a young guy onto their 3rd line, it would problably be a former 7th overall pick or the AHL's october player of the month.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:05 AM
trader11

they should be trying to move Franson sooner than later. You would have to think that his value is dropping every day he doesn't play. I understand they need depth but having him sitting in the press box isn't good for anyone. He is a good dman. He just needs more time to show it.

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Rangers signed Stralman, I'd say Franson is out of the question for sure now
Agree with this + Vitto's comment below.
But in any event if Franson as appears is upgrade over Stralman, and for whatever reason both Leafs decide to move him + Rangers still make offer which is best, then at least the cost of Franson has now gone down (reduced possible impression of desparation).

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote