HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dodgers For Sale

Old
11-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 500
I guess Donald Trump told Greta Van Susteren on Fox tonight that he is interested in purchasing the Dodgers. I hope he is just joking. Imagine what that guy would do with the land around the Ravine.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I guess Donald Trump told Greta Van Susteren on Fox tonight that he is interested in purchasing the Dodgers. I hope he is just joking. Imagine what that guy would do with the land around the Ravine.
There are too many "baseball groups" (Fred Claire, Peter O'Malley, Dennis Gilbert [my personal pick], Garvey/Hershiser) involved and I doubt he'd be pre-approved by baseball to get involved. He's an opportunist as far as media attention goes (nice way of saying he's a media *****)... He's not buying the Dodgers. Neither is Cuban if the team gets bid up which most expect.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

"Peter O'Malley wants to run Dodgers

The former team owner has told Commissioner Bud Selig about his plans. He hopes to lead an investment group to buy the club and 'reconnect the team and the community.'"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4549505.story

Yes please!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Good Riddance to the worst owner in LA history. A list that includes Donald Sterling, by the way!
No.

The evil Georgia is (still) at the top of this list. If only the NFL had stepped in and voided a few of her "tear-down-the-team-trades" and forced HER to sell the Rams.

I am obviously glad that the Dodgers will be sold, but McCourt did bring about 2 playoff appearances in a row, and even though Manny is still owed a ga-jillion dollars, he brought the most excitement to Dodger Stadium in many years.

Manny also played well enough to beat the Phillies in the POs, but the bullpen couldn't get anyone out.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
There are too many "baseball groups" (Fred Claire, Peter O'Malley, Dennis Gilbert [my personal pick], Garvey/Hershiser) involved and I doubt he'd be pre-approved by baseball to get involved. He's an opportunist as far as media attention goes (nice way of saying he's a media *****)... He's not buying the Dodgers. Neither is Cuban if the team gets bid up which most expect.
Im not worried about Trump getting it. MLB turned down the highest bid for the Rangers and the Cubs I believe.

As great as the O'Malley era was, Peter was the same man that sold this team to Fox. Im also pulling for Dennis Gilbert unless the Garvey/Hersh group shows me that they have boat loads of money to spend.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Unless you're worried about relocation, I don't see why it matters if the new owner is local or not. Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Manchester City owner) could own the team for all I care. He would make the Steinbrenners look like Frank McCourt.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

And no to a new location for a new Dodger Stadium. Major renovations would be enough. If the Dodgers were to leave the Chavez Ravine area, it would completely turn into a crime-infested ****hole. I'm a proud Angeleno and I don't want that to happen.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
As great as the O'Malley era was, Peter was the same man that sold this team to Fox. Im also pulling for Dennis Gilbert unless the Garvey/Hersh group shows me that they have boat loads of money to spend.
Yeah, People tend to forget how bad the team was in the last 6-7 years of the O'Malley era.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
AEG won't spend Boston/NY type money. You need a fan owner to win in the NBA or MLB these days.
I'm no expert but didn't the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinal etc all make the World Series in the past 5 years? I know most of those teams don't sepend nearly the money that the two you mentioned do.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
And no to a new location for a new Dodger Stadium. Major renovations would be enough. If the Dodgers were to leave the Chavez Ravine area, it would completely turn into a crime-infested ****hole. I'm a proud Angeleno and I don't want that to happen.
The main "problem" with Dodger Stadium is it's too nice to tear down and start over. but that's what is really needed. It's the 3rd oldest stadium in baseball, and it is not fan friendly at all. Right now, Angel Stadium is much more fan friendly.

When I was young, I loved DS, but now after seeing what other teams have for stadiums, DS is sure lacking. Starting with being on their own private little hill - they have no connection with the city at all. There's absolutely no reason to be there if you're not at a ball game.

I don't know what the answer is, and not sure if it's a real problem, but it's not as an enjoyable place as it was when I was younger. Just getting to/from the stadium is a chore. Other (most?) teams have light rail / subway to their stadium - that will likely never happen at Dodger Stadium.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:41 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Baseball just isn't as interesting to me without a salary cap.

I despise the fact that year in, year out, the yanks and the redsox are contenders because they have the deepest pockets.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The main "problem" with Dodger Stadium is it's too nice to tear down and start over. but that's what is really needed. It's the 3rd oldest stadium in baseball, and it is not fan friendly at all. Right now, Angel Stadium is much more fan friendly.

When I was young, I loved DS, but now after seeing what other teams have for stadiums, DS is sure lacking. Starting with being on their own private little hill - they have no connection with the city at all. There's absolutely no reason to be there if you're not at a ball game.

I don't know what the answer is, and not sure if it's a real problem, but it's not as an enjoyable place as it was when I was younger. Just getting to/from the stadium is a chore. Other (most?) teams have light rail / subway to their stadium - that will likely never happen at Dodger Stadium.

"The Next 50" plan showed a lot of promises. Too bad, Frank showed his true colors and that plan was abandoned. Hopefully the new owner will revive that plan.

You're right about a light rail to the stadium. But this is LA. Public transportation has always sucked no matter where.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Baseball just isn't as interesting to me without a salary cap.

I despise the fact that year in, year out, the yanks and the redsox are contenders because they have the deepest pockets.
Did you see the post 2 above yours? Spending lots of money is no guarantee you'll even make the postseason. The Red Sox didn't this year. The salary cap has worked for hockey and football. Not sure that it has really worked in basketball but I'm pretty sure they had a "soft" cap but I don't follow it enough to know. I do know that the NBA has only had an 8 seed beat a 1 seed in the playoffs a handful of times. I'm not sure how well a salary cap would actually work in baseball. I suppose it would limit the big spenders but I'm not sure any of the lower payrolled teams would shell out money for big name players which would cost the players money in the end.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Did you see the post 2 above yours? Spending lots of money is no guarantee you'll even make the postseason. The Red Sox didn't this year. The salary cap has worked for hockey and football. Not sure that it has really worked in basketball but I'm pretty sure they had a "soft" cap but I don't follow it enough to know. I do know that the NBA has only had an 8 seed beat a 1 seed in the playoffs a handful of times. I'm not sure how well a salary cap would actually work in baseball. I suppose it would limit the big spenders but I'm not sure any of the lower payrolled teams would shell out money for big name players which would cost the players money in the end.
Coulda sworn Florida did it twice.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Hopefully McCourt will take Colletti out the door with him.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:07 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Hopefully McCourt will take Colletti out the door with him.
The new owner will probably show him the door.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:09 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Quote:
Unless you're worried about relocation, I don't see why it matters if the new owner is local or not. Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Manchester City owner) could own the team for all I care. He would make the Steinbrenners look like Frank McCourt.
I wish Roman Abramovich would buy a hockey team. I'd then proceed to suggest Deano that he sells Dustin Penner to Roman for 50 million.

YNWA.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
"The Next 50" plan showed a lot of promises. Too bad, Frank showed his true colors and that plan was abandoned. Hopefully the new owner will revive that plan.

You're right about a light rail to the stadium. But this is LA. Public transportation has always sucked no matter where.
That's because Southern California isn't an 18 square mile island like Manhattan.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That's because Southern California isn't an 18 square mile island like Manhattan.
Exactly. And I'm not sure what he means by "sucks." It works just fine for me. I live in the SFV and the way I got to Dodgers games last year was: park at the Universal Red Line station (free parking), get off at Union Station, take the Dodgers Stadium Express bus to the gates. 45-60 minutes

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Does it take to be like a Manhattan to have a great public transportation? Seattle and Chicago don't think so.

To be fair, though. I never complained about public transportation within the city limits. I'm from the Mid-Wilshire District. I just wish the train system was bigger and better.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:37 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Yep

We also know that the old boys' network isn't going to let Cuban own an MLB team.
I think the sports worlds view of Cuban is changing, although I still believe Cuban is a little too opiniative and innovative for Bud and friends.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah, of course there's no guarantee but more often than not, a higher payroll teams will do better than the teams with smaller payroll. I understand there have been teams like the Twins and the Marlins with smaller payroll that have won the WS but more often than not, teams like BOS, Yanks, Cards, Phillies, Angels, Dodgers with higher payroll are the favorites to win the WS.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I understand there have been teams like the Twins and the Marlins with smaller payroll that have won the WS but more often than not, teams like BOS, Yanks, Cards, Phillies, Angels, Dodgers with higher payroll are the favorites to win the WS.
one of these things is not like the others

Old
11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
one of these things is not like the others
Yeah, you're right. 1988 was a loooooooonngggg time ago.

Geez, the Angels are even pushing 10 years now...

Old
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Yeah, you're right. 1988 was a loooooooonngggg time ago.

Geez, the Angels are even pushing 10 years now...
At least the Angels are usually expected to be a contender every year. I don't think anyone has picked the Dodgers to win the WS since before 1988. Even 88 was a total surprise.