HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Colborne

Old
10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Would like to see him called up if Connolly gets injured again.

Kulemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
From what I've seen of the kid he has nice hands, good vision and obviously great size, but his feet still look a bit slow for the NHL. Top speed seems OK, but I'm more talking about the quick changes in direction. He's tearing it up in the AHL, but even as a Leafs fan I'll need a lot more convincing before I start to believe that he's a future #1 center.
Exactly this for me. I really have no expectations for Colborne. If he's a top 6 forward for the Leafs, great, but I really don't expect him to be one.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Now 8 goals and 8 assists in 8 games.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Nik Antropov?

I'm talking out my ass, know very little about him.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post
Nik Antropov?

I'm talking out my ass, know very little about him.
It's a pretty good comparison from what I've seen, but I've seen a lot more of Antropov than Colborne. That's roughly what I expect out of him though, and if he ends up better than Antropov that'd be a nice surprise. Antropov is a pretty good player IMO, just suffered through a lot of injuries for much of his career.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It's a pretty good comparison from what I've seen, but I've seen a lot more of Antropov than Colborne. That's roughly what I expect out of him though, and if he ends up better than Antropov that'd be a nice surprise. Antropov is a pretty good player IMO, just suffered through a lot of injuries for much of his career.
Ya, I just can't think of a big, playmaking center that was a 'project' in a Leafs uniform without thinking Antropov.

If it wasn't for injury troubles, alot of people would have a much more favorable view of him. Antropov's a very good player in the right role in my opinion. If Colborne can reach that level or exceed it, that will be great for the Leafs.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Kloparren
Hth

This is what Dobber's fantasy prospect report says about him and they rank him as the 12th best forward prospect in the report which is ahead of Kadri (they're very confident that he'll be an NHLer). I don't remember him despite that one Leafs game last season but I do remember watching an AHL game against Manitoba where he was on the same line as Kadri (forgot who the winger was) and they had great chemistry:

Colborne owners caught a break in February when their player got out from under the deep roster of the Boston
Bruins to go to the offensive-starved, top-six-forward-thin Maple Leafs. The 6-5, 215-pound forward with great
hands and hockey sense could probably use another year in the AHL, but he’s probably not going back. And that’s
not a bad thing either. He got into his first NHL contest in Game 82 and he did not look out of place with Phil
Kessel, logging nearly 19 minutes. Yes, he is the future No.1 center that Kessel needs. However, if the Leafs address
the issues via free agency (ahem – Brad Richards), then Colborne will languish on the third line and be brought
along slowly. But if they don’t, then look for Colborne to get some Calder talk.

Upside: Thornton-light (30-55-85+, 60 PIM)
Certainty (NHLer; Upside): 95%; 45%
3YP: (30-41-71, 46 PIM)

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I highly and I mean highly doubt he will ever become true#1 C. They are just so rare to find nowadays, the player has to have combination of multiple things which are more above average in terms of skill level such as speed, hands, vision, defensive play, hockey IQ. IMO, Colborne seems to possess almost all of those combinations of skills but seems to lack high-end talent and consistency to become a #1 C.

But all in all, I am just glad he is doing well in the AHL and developing nicely. I would be more than happy if he becomes a strong #2 C with a good overall game.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 10-29-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Kulemon

He's exactly that, a project. This year and possibly another year in the A and he might develop into our number one guy. All he really needs to work on is his skating.

Old
10-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
This is what Dobber's fantasy prospect report says about him and they rank him as the 12th best forward prospect in the report which is ahead of Kadri (they're very confident that he'll be an NHLer). I don't remember him despite that one Leafs game last season but I do remember watching an AHL game against Manitoba where he was on the same line as Kadri (forgot who the winger was) and they had great chemistry:

Colborne owners caught a break in February when their player got out from under the deep roster of the Boston
Bruins to go to the offensive-starved, top-six-forward-thin Maple Leafs. The 6-5, 215-pound forward with great
hands and hockey sense could probably use another year in the AHL, but heís probably not going back. And thatís
not a bad thing either. He got into his first NHL contest in Game 82 and he did not look out of place with Phil
Kessel, logging nearly 19 minutes. Yes, he is the future No.1 center that Kessel needs. However, if the Leafs address
the issues via free agency (ahem Ė Brad Richards), then Colborne will languish on the third line and be brought
along slowly. But if they donít, then look for Colborne to get some Calder talk.

Quite accurate. Still disappointed we got Connolly over Colborne, hes ready and his play in the AHL shows that. Id say hes more ready than Kadri is. He'll be a great player for a long time, but we'll see him soon enough, Connolly will get injured again, its only a matter of him sitting on a bag of chips and he'll be gone for a few months

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

hands and hockey sense could probably use another year in the AHL, but heís probably not going back. And thatís
the issues via free agency (ahem Ė Brad Richards), then Colborne will languish on the third line and be brought
along slowly. But if they donít, then look for Colborne to get some Calder talk.

good stuff, heres hoping he can keep this pace up.

10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think he can turn out to be a David Krejci type player. Puts up 60-70 points and is average defensively (maybe more) because I envision him playing with Kulemin/Kessel.

Certainly not the elite #1C's in the league but better than anything we currently have. I like how people said his Dad had a lot of money so he's not really inspired to play as hard as he can.

It's quite the opposite, there was an interview in the off season where he said he worked out 6 days out of 7 and worked as hard as he could on his skating because he wants to be that #1 center and this is his best opportunity and is driven to be better on faceoffs, boards etc.
If he can turn out to be like David Krejci, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:40 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Quite accurate. Still disappointed we got Connolly over Colborne, hes ready and his play in the AHL shows that. Id say hes more ready than Kadri is. He'll be a great player for a long time, but we'll see him soon enough, Connolly will get injured again, its only a matter of him sitting on a bag of chips and he'll be gone for a few months
No he's not ready. 8 games don't make him ready. There is a reason the Leafs went after Connolly and didn't trade for a number 1 center. It's because they clearly believe they have one in Colborne. Yes, he may not be the 90 pointer they want but a big bodied center with a playmaking ability that will fit really well with Kessel. Grabbing Connolly allows the Leafs to really bring him along slowly.

Dallas Eakins is becoming quite the development coach at the AHL level and he's clearly working on Colborne. He's teaching him how to use his size, he's teaching him how to be a better all around player and he's teaching him to be consistent. There is nothing wrong with having him in the AHL for another year and giving him spot time on the Leafs when Connolly is injured.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:51 AM
BigBlue11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
What was missed in that quote is he paid out of his own pocket for personal training this summer, that's dedication, impressive.
Not that it affects him as a prospect, but I have heard that his family is very wealthy. So the cost of a skating coach may have been negligible to him.

BigBlue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue11 View Post
Not that it affects him as a prospect, but I have heard that his family is very wealthy. So the cost of a skating coach may have been negligible to him.
I think I remember reading that his dad made $60 M in Joe's draft year.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue11 View Post
Even if he paid it himself, he's still making good money in the AHL, so it's not like paying for power skating is going to be really tough to do.

Really hope this guy tops out, he'd be the perfect fit for Kessel. I love his vision and hands, just not impressed with his skating still though.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Twist and Shout

Joe Colborne named the AHL's Player of the Month for October with 16 points in 9 games.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think he can turn out to be a David Krejci type player. Puts up 60-70 points and is average defensively (maybe more) because I envision him playing with Kulemin/Kessel.

Certainly not the elite #1C's in the league but better than anything we currently have. I like how people said his Dad had a lot of money so he's not really inspired to play as hard as he can.

It's quite the opposite, there was an interview in the off season where he said he worked out 6 days out of 7 and worked as hard as he could on his skating because he wants to be that #1 center and this is his best opportunity and is driven to be better on faceoffs, boards etc.
If he can turn out to be like David Krejci, I'd be absolutely thrilled.
I think you'd have to try pretty hard to come up with a worse comparison for Colborne than Krejci, from what I've seen they play absolutely nothing alike.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Interactif

What's also encouraging about his play is he is +8 on the year, indicating a commitment to strong 2 way play. I really don't think Boston expected this kind of production out of him, if they did there is no way they would have traded Joe and picks for Kaberle. I think he's exceeding even the Leafs expectations, and we know Burke was already high on him in his draft year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
What's also encouraging about his play is he is +8 on the year, indicating a commitment to strong 2 way play. I really don't think Boston expected this kind of production out of him, if they did there is no way they would have traded Joe and picks for Kaberle. I think he's exceeding even the Leafs expectations, and we know Burke was already high on him in his draft year.
They won the cup, they traded for a Kaberle who they thought would solve their biggest problem (crappy PP), and make them a favorite to win. It was a risk I'm sure any GM would take given the chance when you are that close to a cup.

HF has a terrible tendency to look way too far term when the cup is within your reach. Boston knew what they had in Colborne.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:02 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
They won the cup, they traded for a Kaberle who they thought would solve their biggest problem (crappy PP), and make them a favorite to win. It was a risk I'm sure any GM would take given the chance when you are that close to a cup.

HF has a terrible tendency to look way too far term when the cup is within your reach. Boston knew what they had in Colborne.
as a Bruin fan i would not change a thing PC did to get us that cup, but i would be surprised if they thought he was going to be producing like this so soon after trading him. we have great center depth and he had no spot in Boston, but i for one am surprised to see the numbers he is putting up in the AHL right now.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
redsox7327

Let's see how he does now without Joey Crabb.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
1G 1A already tonight.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Kulemon

Kid has tremendous work-ethic. Glad to see he is still producing.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:32 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
No he's not ready. 8 games don't make him ready. There is a reason the Leafs went after Connolly and didn't trade for a number 1 center. It's because they clearly believe they have one in Colborne. Yes, he may not be the 90 pointer they want but a big bodied center with a playmaking ability that will fit really well with Kessel. Grabbing Connolly allows the Leafs to really bring him along slowly.

Dallas Eakins is becoming quite the development coach at the AHL level and he's clearly working on Colborne. He's teaching him how to use his size, he's teaching him how to be a better all around player and he's teaching him to be consistent. There is nothing wrong with having him in the AHL for another year and giving him spot time on the Leafs when Connolly is injured.
I agree it's a good move letting him develop with the Marlies right now. Compared to Wilson who doesn't seem to talk to his players a guy like Eakins should be great for Colborne's continued development as a player.

No reason to rush the guy. Let him keep doing great in the AHL and when a center goes down he'll probably get a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
Considering Kadri and Frattin have gone down I think they won't take a massive hit with Crabb coming up. And yeah seems he's doing alright so far.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote