HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 11 vs. Anaheim Ducks

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 1 0.78%
Ryan Callahan 4 3.13%
Erik Christensen 5 3.91%
Michael Del Zotto 7 5.47%
Brandon Dubinsky 5 3.91%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 2.34%
Marian Gaborik 119 92.97%
Dan Girardi 10 7.81%
Henrik Lundqvist 93 72.66%
Ryan McDonagh 64 50.00%
Brandon Prust 2 1.56%
Brad Richards 8 6.25%
Michael Sauer 3 2.34%
Jeff Woywitka 33 25.78%
Other 2 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-03-2011, 10:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Gaborik was the best player on the ice.

Del Zotto was very good defensively tonight.

Woywitka did something which none of our d-men seem to be able to do -- hit the net from the point at even strength

Stepan needs to get smacked in the head a couple of times. He's many too many stupid, careless and lazy mistakes.

The Boyle line needs to be demoted to the 4th line. They were turnover machines tonight.

Despite the poor 3rd period, I'm happy because I knew the Ducks were going to tighten up after getting clowned yesterday. Despite their focus on defense, the Rangers cycled well and get more good scoring chances tonight than in the first 6 or 7 games of the season combined.

They have to start hitting the net.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
This is like a therapy session for Christensen lol
It was something else, that's for sure.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Not too happy with the outcome to be honest. This team should have won it before the shootout. Convincingly, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the win, but I don't know how this team failed to score on at least one of those OT chances.
Hey, we didn't deserve any points against Winnipeg yet we got 2. Just be glad Hiller wasn't so incredible we didn't get anything.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Christensen was just talking about how he prepares for the shootout. Says he thinks about what he's going to do and visualizes it repeatedly. Might explain why a guy with so much skill can't do it consistently in-game. He doesn't have the instincts.

Compare that to a guy like Gaborik, who is lethal (when he's healthy), but hasn't been able to produce in the shootout, typically. He's all instinct.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SomebodySaveKreider

Anyone got those Christensen sad face pics?

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

1. Gaborik
2. McDonagh
3. Del Zotto

Can't believe Del Zotto isn't getting more votes. He stopped a goal tonight and played fantastically all night long. Set up Gaborik for an (almost) goal.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's insane. He's SO ****ing powerful. It's just nuts. He's not even that thick, yet his strength is otherworldly.

I still think my favorite moment was when he caught a breaking Getzlaf in about two strides. Unreal skating ability.
And he made a great little poke check to slow Getzlaf down, which bought time for other Rangers to get back and in position.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
It's insane. He's SO ****ing powerful. It's just nuts. He's not even that thick, yet his strength is otherworldly.

I still think my favorite moment was when he caught a breaking Getzlaf in about two strides. Unreal skating ability.
No ****. It's REALLY hard to not be excited about the potential he has if he can keep improving his game.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Christensen was just talking about how he prepares for the shootout. Says he thinks about what he's going to do and visualizes it repeatedly. Might explain why a guy with so much skill can't do it consistently in-game. He doesn't have the instincts.

Compare that to a guy like Gaborik, who is lethal (when he's healthy), but hasn't been able to produce in the shootout, typically. He's all instinct.
I would say he does have the instincts, but they don't come to him quick enough. He has the instincts in the SO or on break-aways and sometimes one-on-one. But it takes too long for them to develop in his head.

It's like the mouse is running around in his head in a maze and is missing an eye and a sense of smell. Eventually it will get to the end or the cheese, but it takes a bit longer than a healthy mouse. If we can get him a new mouse, he will be fine.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
you know what's really fun

Watch McDonagh closely and watch when guys try to take him wide. It's hilarious. Bobby Ryan tried to do it tonight, Taylor Hall tried to do it when they played the Oilers, other guys have tried it...

No one is fast enough and strong enough to blow past him and muscle him out of the way. He stays with them all step for step and just shoves them down if they try to lean into him. It's so great
And he has his way while not taking penalties. That's the real clincher.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No ****. It's REALLY hard to not be excited about the potential he has if he can keep improving his game.
I mean, I was pimping this kid as our next, great shutdown D. I figured he'd evolve his game a bit and bring us some break-out play and all. He always had a great first pass in college. He's truly developing his offensive game up here. His defensive game is already damn-near perfect. It's going to be scary once he develops fully offensively. He will never be the 50-60 point offensive D-man he was originally drafted as. But this kid will be touching 40 points sooner or later.

Old
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 776
Hank, Gabby and EC.

EC played well and a beautiful SO goal.

Gaborik looking very impressive, please stay helthy and hel will finish this will 80ish points

Hank is Hank

EuroFlair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:10 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
And he made a great little poke check to slow Getzlaf down, which bought time for other Rangers to get back and in position.
Yep. Another full stride and he would have overtaken Getzlaf completely, even.

He is so much fun to watch. And it's really hard to find a lot of FUN to watch defensive plays. But with him? I could watch that all game long.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:11 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wait, what? Not too happy?

Hiller played way over his head, tonight. Even a top goalie should have let in more than one goal with the pressure we put on. Dude got a mix of luck, skill, and just play hockey gods ******** on us tonight.

There is simply no rhyme or reason to be unhappy, bro. We looked great tonight. Of course we should have won before. We should scored 6 or 7 goals in the 2nd and OT alone. It's not like it was a lack of finish, either. We were missing by inches, centimeters, millimeters, -meters... Sometimes it just goes that way.

Hockey is a game of inches. It always has been. You can't be unhappy at all about the outcome tonight.
Well, I'm happy, but, disappointed, in a sense.

This is the type of game that this team would lose in the playoffs due to their inability to finish. I really can't recall ever being content with a shootout win, unless the team was BADLY outplayed. I just...don't enjoy the shootout. It's really as simple as that. It's a useless cog in an otherwise perfectly put together league (in terms of how the game is played, some of the penalty calls are very weak). I understand the need to have a decided winner and loser each game, but I just think there's a better way to go about it.

Excited for the next few games, they played well enough for that, but I just think that if the team plays like this, they should at LEAST be able to score in the 4-on-4 in the OT...that wasn't even Hiller preventing that, they just flubbed their chances.

I'm not trying to tell you guys not to be excited, be as damn happy as you want. Just how I feel.

On another note: My mancrush on Ryan McDonagh has officially surpassed my mancrush on Kris Letang.

Bask in that for a moment.

11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I mean, I was pimping this kid as our next, great shutdown D. I figured he'd evolve his game a bit and bring us some break-out play and all. He always had a great first pass in college. He's truly developing his offensive game up here. His defensive game is already damn-near perfect. It's going to be scary once he develops fully offensively. He will never be the 50-60 point offensive D-man he was originally drafted as. But this kid will be touching 40 points sooner or later.
I actually think he has a few things to learn defensively, mainly being cool and moving the puck effectively in the defensive zone. He's been better at it this year and it's been real nice to see. If we could combine all of his strengths and all of Staal's strengths you'd have the best defensive defenseman in the league and a guy who could chip in 30-40 points

Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Torts with some mic trouble.

Old
Callagraves
Block shots

Lmfao. I love how Torts treats the press.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

First time in PGT history Callahan got no votes.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
darko

Quote:
Woywitka gets the hat. Nice gesture.

Good for him. Hank and Gabby will wear it few times, Woy most likely wont.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

I feel awful for Christensen, he knows he has all this skill but also knows that it's tough for him to put himself in a position to use it during a game. He's never seemed like a bad guy, and I bet he rightfully feels a bit out of place at this level. But I think he's had a positive impact on this Rangers team since we picked him up off of waivers almost two years ago. He doesn't need to be a star, he's more than served a purpose on this team. In my opinion, I think fans need to lay off with the shots at him and his character.

boyle2boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Well, I'm happy, but, disappointed, in a sense.

This is the type of game that this team would lose in the playoffs due to their inability to finish..
I'd be more upset but HIller made some insane saves tonight. The Rangers faced a hot goalie and at least managed to pull out a win somehow

Old
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
Lmfao. I love how Torts treats the press.
"Why did you choose Gaborik in the shootout?"

"He's been our best player."

Old
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I always liked EC. He reminds me of myself when I was a lad. I was very awkward but I wasn't a bad guy.
I don't think he's a bad guy, just not a good player. Interview was hilarious.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
"Why did you choose Gaborik in the shootout?"

"He's been our best player."

::GLARE::

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
EC seems like the last guy id like to hang out with at a bar and have a few beers with.

He does. Prust is probably #1.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote