HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our team will be fine, Positive outlook.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
KH1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
With soo many people thinking so negatively I had to have some positive threads in here. It's 9 games people, we are 3-4-2, with the last 2 games could have easily been wins, especially the Penguins game. Look at the Bruins, they are off to a bad start but I can assure you they will be in the playoffs for sure. With the exception of two or three games they have been pretty good.

-John Tavares is playing like he's becoming elite
-PA Parenteau has been pretty good so far at a PPG
-Are PK is among the top 10; as well as our PP
-Grabner and Nielsen are starting to come around
-Mark Streit has been great; D as a whole has been solid
-Are goaltending has been pretty damn good

Good things are happening, take a step back and breathe. Everything is going to be OK. Come April this team will be anywhere from 6th-9th. Fairly confident when I say that.

Bottom line is, it's way to early to start declaring there is no progress and the season is a failure.
Here's my problem: even if Tavares, Parenteau, and the goalies keep it up, even if Grabner and Nielsen catch fire...we are still one major defensive injury from having the season end. We have absolutely zero depth on the blueline. What's worse, 3 of our top 6 defensemen are huge injury risks.

I wish I could share your confidence that the Isles could be one of the 6 top teams in the conference, but when I look around the East I struggle to come up with 6 teams that we are definitely better than. We might be able to sneak into one of the last playoff spots, but this team is in desperate need of an upgrade.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:35 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Here is an interesting perspective....

When fans like to compare us this season to the Leafs, Sens, Oilers — that those rebuilds are "working" and those teams are moving forward they leave out the fact that like us, its early in the season.

Some how a slow start means the season is essentially lost.

That being the case, I suppose they would argue the Bruin's season is over as well?????

Why is it that in their minds a team like the Oilers, Senators or Leaf's wont hit a rocky patch and fall apart?

You know what team looked really good after 7 games last season?
The Islanders. 4-1-2. And then the season fell apart.

The last two games were handed to the opposition. Its not like they were blow outs.

Unlike last season — the team is relatively healthy.

Biggest issue is our 3rd line. Right now it is not generating any scoring or offensive punch. The top line (including P.A.) is generating offense. The second line is coming around as well — Grabner is notoriously a slow starter. Okposo is never going to be a big goal scorer (20 would be a miracle) and the same with Neilsen.

In reality, I wonder if lines two and three should be flopped. The Neilsen line may do better as a puck pressure checking line over Bailey's line. Or move Grabner up to Bailey's line for a few games, drop Comeau back to the third line.... just a thought.

But the original point — teams off to good starts can just as easily fall apart and teams with sluggish starts can just as easily string some wins together and make a run.

The Senators started the 95-96 season something like 8-3-2, they finished worse than the Isles with 19 wins. I have no doubt Ottawa and Edmonton will finish near the bottom, not so sure about the Leafs. They may keep this up for a half a season and then fall off. I'm not very worried just yet, the offense has to eventually wake up.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:53 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yes, but to go back to the grammar, until this country is back to number one, I think teachers should have tasers in classrooms until the youth can use the language. And parents should be able to draw blood at PTA meetings without outside interference.

Continue.

(sorry, too many meatheads out there on the streets - I root for the cannibals)
How about abolishing the teachers union and implementing school vouchers?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:29 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
How about abolishing the teachers union and implementing school vouchers?
Nah, public schools work.....it's the teaching that needs work. When did the Isles last work well? Bill Torrey. Schools? Go back to the 1960's. (and fellow LI'ers, you have to know we had it GREAT with our teachers and hockey team in the 1980's)

Back to topic: we have to be patient but also resolute to make the necessary changes. Save most of our kids with a top player or two means we deal someone to get the ship righted, correct?

There is a difference between patient and clinically dead.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:01 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I pity the posters who don't see what is really going on with the owner, the payroll, and the results.

Keep a stiff upper lip guys. Nino is on the way and he is going to score this club out of it's funk. If that doesn't work, I have no doubt that Nail will do wonders for us next season, because that's all the help we have coming on the horizon.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote