HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Reinforcement Edition: Predators @ Coyotes 11/3/2011

Old
11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
sighthndlady

vCash: 500
Attendance 6,738. Ouch.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:21 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
What a birthday for Rinne.
Get a colossal payday to set you up for the rest of your life and pitch a 35-save shutout. It doesn't get much better than that.

We played a really strong game, especially the forwards. Having Fisher and Kostitsyn back turns us into an entirely different hockey team. Smith played really well again, and Hornqvist worked hard and earned the empty netter.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Attendance 6,738. Ouch.
I feel terrible for the devoted Yotes fans. I can't imagine what it's like to have all the ownership issues and such, but man, crappy as that must be, folks need to get out there and start supporting that team, or they're going to lose it. Been tempted to make the drive from LA more than a couple times for some of those cheap tickets.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:29 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Just got to wrap up the game. Did anyone see at the end during the huddle around Rinne eleven everyone was saying "happy birthday", and then Hornqvist drops the puck in his catcher?

Edit: btw for as much grief as Klein has taken over the past three seasons, some deserved and some not, he sure is a tough s.o.b.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:51 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Big W. Rinne was spectacular...Phx was in this game, but he was the difference.

Smith really gets shafted on ice time...I didn't see one other Nash F with his ability tonight...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Bandit34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I feel terrible for the devoted Yotes fans. I can't imagine what it's like to have all the ownership issues and such, but man, crappy as that must be, folks need to get out there and start supporting that team, or they're going to lose it. Been tempted to make the drive from LA more than a couple times for some of those cheap tickets.
Yeah its pretty rough for all of us. I honestly don't blame the ownership issues for people not wanting to come out. If something entertains you and you acknowledge that it may be the last year its around in your town, you're going to go.

I'd lean more towards the product in the eye of a casual fan. We don't have the money to spend on players to entertain people with skill. We also do not have a physical line up to entertain people with hits, scrums, and fights. We play with a defensive first system that can even bore a die hard hockey fan at times. I understand that have to play with this boring style because of our coach preferences and budget but the casual fan won't be entertained and will not be willing to spend their hard earned money. Its just a tough situation.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:57 AM
BubbaOnTheBandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Get a colossal payday to set you up for the rest of your life and pitch a 35-save shutout. It doesn't get much better than that.
Well they could have just announced that HHOF membership already.

BubbaOnTheBandwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:01 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
Yeah its pretty rough for all of us. I honestly don't blame the ownership issues for people not wanting to come out. If something entertains you and you acknowledge that it may be the last year its around in your town, you're going to go.

I'd lean more towards the product in the eye of a casual fan. We don't have the money to spend on players to entertain people with skill. We also do not have a physical line up to entertain people with hits, scrums, and fights. We play with a defensive first system that can even bore a die hard hockey fan at times. I understand that have to play with this boring style because of our coach preferences and budget but the casual fan won't be entertained and will not be willing to spend their hard earned money. Its just a tough situation.
If you win does it really matter whether it is flashy or more of a grind it out type of win? I'm sure the folks in Phoenix don't want to end up like ummm..........Atlanta?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:21 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
This is the way Nashville has always played. And yes, fans of the traditional teams with big budgets complain about how boring we are. Tough ##$%##$. We laugh all the way to the playoffs.

I'm not sure what the answer is for Phoenix, but it's going to have to come from the front office in terms of marketing, not hoping that a Blackhawks-esque roster will suddenly appear and be exciting enough to draw fans.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:01 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

YES! Great win and a huge congrats to the extended Rinne! Shutout!!!!!

Some other good things about that game:

Yotes came into the game 4-0-1 in their last 5
Horny has now scored in 4 straight games
We out hit them 23-16
We won more faceoffs 37-29 with Legwand leading the way at 12-7
Smith leading the way with 6 shots. Keep shooting kid!!

Bring on the Sharks!!

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Bongo

As a hockey fan in Atlanta, I can certainly be sympathetic to the situation in Phoenix. After what went down here last spring, I feel more like a chump than fan for supporting that doomed franchise. If I were just a casual hockey fan I wouldn't see much point in supporting a team that might not be here next season.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Anyone else thing Trotz screwed over Smith last night? On a line with Smithson, really? I mean Craig is so bad ass he made that line look good but damn Trotz.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Anyone else thing Trotz screwed over Smith last night? On a line with Smithson, really? I mean Craig is so bad ass he made that line look good but damn Trotz.
Agreed.

And whoever commented on my previous post, I didn't say the team played poorly, actually I thought they played the perfect road game till the third. We have a terrible tendency to stop taking any offensive chances in the 3rd if we have the lead. And we couldn't clear the puck out.

But all that mattered little because the birthday boy was on last night. I will agree, we didn't give up a lot of quality chances but they are still chances.

I was really impressed by smith again last night, I have no idea why he was on a line with tootoo and smithson but a win is a win and I am sure trotz will be shufflin when we play the sharkies.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
i don't really understand why he needs to play with smithson and halischuk...even if he did turn in a gimme goal to halischuk with an insane pass.

he's been easily our best forward this season, but he's on the third line.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just got to wrap up the game. Did anyone see at the end during the huddle around Rinne eleven everyone was saying "happy birthday", and then Hornqvist drops the puck in his catcher?

Edit: btw for as much grief as Klein has taken over the past three seasons, some deserved and some not, he sure is a tough s.o.b.
Klein had a really good game. That one play when Pekka got caught out of the net, Klein went on a knee right in front of the goal and saved a goal by blocking the net, then went sprawling to the ground to stop the Coyote from getting a shot off. I thought that was the play of the night.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
JR303

Not really trying to be a ****** here, but does it really matter what line he's on?

I understand rewarding a guy with good minutes when they're producing, but his job on the team is to help the team win, regardless of his role. If he's on a "lesser" line and he gets to pot a point a game against lower pair defensemen, good for him. And good for us. I don't care if he plays on a line with Bergfors and McG as long as he is doing what we need to win. He's playing great, with a fire and an attack intensity that we haven't seen very often as Predators fans, but that doesn't mean all of our strategy goes out the window.

Truth be told, I'd like to see him again with Fisher, but if he's going to make the other forwards on his line better by association, by all means, put him with some other guys that need it. His hustle and scoring ability seem to be somewhat infectious. Letting him gun it on a line with Smithson, for his stability, doesn't necessarily seem to be a detraction from his play, in my opinion.

Not trying to start anything, just don't really see a problem with it as long as the team is heading in the right direction.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:28 AM
predfan24

Craig Smith is a beauty. We haven't had a guy who could create scoring chances with his speed and finish them off with skill like him since Kariya and in his prime Sully.

The boys played a really good road game I thought. The third was iffy but they held on. Thought Labarbera played well as that game should have featured more than just 2 regular goals for the Preds. They had a ton of great scoring chances. Labarbera made some good saves and we just completely missed the net on others.

Pekka didn't have to be superman but there was a handful of great chances the Yotes had that he stuffed.

What a day for Peks yesterday! Hopefully he can perform at this level for the next 7 years!

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Trotz is probably protecting the minutes of his star rookie forward with good reason. He's never played a professional schedule.

Also, let's not sell Halischuk short here, he's been good for us this season.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i don't really understand why he needs to play with smithson and halischuk...even if he did turn in a gimme goal to halischuk with an insane pass.

he's been easily our best forward this season, but he's on the third line.
There could be a couple reasons why he's playing sheltered minutes. Trotz is either trying to build chemsitry between those three because once Fisher comes back Smith is the 3rd C on the depth chart, or he's playing him less in an effort to not burn him out. I think it's a mix of the two.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Attendance 6,738. Ouch.
Talk about a bad week for yotes fans. Not only do you get shutout in front of 6,738 fans, but you have the Oilers up next.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

With the lines that were rolled last night you essentially have four lines with the threat to score, and four lines with the ability to play a two-way game. The top two lines have your veteran presence with some youth. The third line had stone hands Smithson, yes, but also had Craig Smith and Tootoo. Smith will fire the puck from anywhere and battle in the hard areas. So will Tootoo, though his hands aren't nearly as good. The fourth line has energy. Having well-balanced lines on the road against a team that plays a tight, aggressive defensive system isn't a bad idea, and it got us a 3-0 victory while still continuing Smith's production.

Of course, I guess with the forwards we have any combination is going to have that same ability. Smith may have played his way back on to a top line, but it just seems like his game fits better with Tootoo and Smithson than would Erat, SK, or Wilson. If anyone gets moved down so Smith can move up it'll be Wilson.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
token grinder

maybe smith being with smithson is the result of him trying to stickhandle around 2 or 3 guys 2 or 3 times a game , turning the puck over and having odd man rushes. Maybe Trotz is trying to minimize damage with the 3rd dman in smithson.

in all seriousness, I am surprised Trozt hasn;t stopped this yet.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:38 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Smith may have played his way back on to a top line, but it just seems like his game fits better with Tootoo and Smithson than would Erat, SK, or Wilson.

Good offensive players should be playing with good offensive players. Too many coaches over think everything.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Good offensive players should be playing with good offensive players. Too many coaches over think everything.
While I see the logic in your post, an NHL head coach seems to disagree. Token brings up a good point. A lot of young guys, especially rookies, can get to a point where points seem to be coming to them, and then they get overconfident. That can lead to them reverting back to the days when they dominated their competition, so they attempt to do the same things they have always been able to do. JR303 makes another good point. Why not let the young guy face less talented opposition in a road game? He got his point. He had several chances. Hell, at one point he has 6 of the 10 or 11 shots that the team has totaled (end of the first, I think).

I do think he will move up a line to start the game against San Jose...

...we do play San Jose next, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Klein had a really good game. That one play when Pekka got caught out of the net, Klein went on a knee right in front of the goal and saved a goal by blocking the net, then went sprawling to the ground to stop the Coyote from getting a shot off. I thought that was the play of the night.
Agreed. I may have to re-watch, but I seem to recall Kleiner going down to block another shot after nearly breaking his foot/ankle on that first one. I bet he had one hell of a gnarly bruise this morning.

Old
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Looking at the shot selection in the 3rd period again. Nashville really dominated even in the 3rd period. All but 3 of the Yotes shots came from below the faceoff circles (not the dots the full circle) and only one shot in the low slot area (below the faceoff dots). While Nashville had 6 shots below the faceoff dots and only 3 shots beyond the top of the faceoff circles.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote