HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what is our biggest need ?

Old
11-01-2011, 06:22 AM
knuckles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
Sign fitzgerald to an NHL contract, i think he only has one with the dogs, and call him up. would pretty much be the same thing without giving anything up.
who;s Fitzgerald?

knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:29 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
who;s Fitzgerald?
Ah Google, a wonderful invention. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62574

10 years in the AHL, he will NOT be playing any games with the Habs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Kovatar

Our biggest need is Markov and maybe a 4th line right winger. Despite his attitude I think it would have been cool to have Avery. Then we would have a very serviceable, versatile 4th line: Darche, who also plays on special teams. Nokelainen, who also takes faceoffs in key moments, and Avery, who is an agitator that knows how to play hockey. In an odd way I think Avery would help Subban a lot. Opposing teams will be too busy directing their hatred towards Avery, in turn opening up room for PK.

Kovatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Ah Google, a wonderful invention. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62574

lol at 49 pim in 8 games.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
SOB D-Men.
Yes a Douglas Murray type of dman to protect Price plus 1 or 2 tough SOB's for the 3rd and/or 4th lines to match tough lines against which our player struggle like the Shawn Thornton line.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:58 PM
knuckles

Quote:

he's got a bit of size, but got a beating from Steve McIntyre...that's why we need John Scott. I haven't seen him lose a fight.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
he's got a bit of size, but got a beating from Steve McIntyre...that's why we need John Scott. I haven't seen him lose a fight.
Losing a fight means absolutely nothing. Above anything, we just need somebody who is there willing to step up. Personally I think Laraque's presence was more important then Laraque's fights. Thornton is a great example of what I mean. If Martin could turn Scott in a decent defensive d-man, so be it. I would much like to have a forward though that could hit hard and crash the net.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Charon

I think we have two needs at the moment:

- A top-4 defenceman with size, toughness, and adequate defensive ability. I'm happy with Markov, Subban, and Gorges getting top 4 minutes... but I don't feel comfortable with Spacek, Gill, Diaz, Emelin, Campoli or Weber playing top 4 minutes on a consistent basis at the moment. We're just too soft on defence and we need a bigger, tougher d-man taking big minutes. Maybe Emelin is this guy but he's not ready.

- A 4th line grinder that is tough to play against... skates well, hits hard, wins battles along the boards, blocks shots, kills penalties, drives to the net hard, and who is tough enough to win a fight. In other words, we need somebody to take some pressure off of Moen. I really believe that Moen will become more effective if we get somebody to support him a bit more in his role. Do we have this in White or Blunden? I'm not sure.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post

- A top-4 defenceman with size, toughness, and adequate defensive ability. I'm happy with Markov, Subban, and Gorges getting top 4 minutes... but I don't feel comfortable with Spacek, Gill, Diaz, Emelin, Campoli or Weber playing top 4 minutes on a consistent basis at the moment. We're just too soft on defence and we need a bigger, tougher d-man taking big minutes. Maybe Emelin is this guy but he's not ready.

- A 4th line grinder that is tough to play against... skates well, hits hard, wins battles along the boards, blocks shots, kills penalties, drives to the net hard, and who is tough enough to win a fight. In other words, we need somebody to take some pressure off of Moen. I really believe that Moen will become more effective if we get somebody to support him a bit more in his role. Do we have this in White or Blunden? I'm not sure.
I agree with you, but 20 other teams in the NHL have the same needs.

Old
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Charon

Quote:
I agree with you, but 20 other teams in the NHL have the same needs.
Yeah, true.

I guess it would be ideal to have that specific type of top-4, but I think we can get by with what we have, especially when/if Markov returns in full form soon.

As for the 4th line grinder... I don't like how people say that 4th liners come for a dime a dozen. Sure, bad 4th liners do, but not good ones. We need a 4th line with size, toughness, speed and energy to make life miserable for the other team.

Right now our fourth line is Blunden-Nokelainen-Darche, which is better than Palushaj-Engqvist-Darche. But I still think this can be upgraded, especially for when we play against tougher teams.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Losing a fight means absolutely nothing. Above anything, we just need somebody who is there willing to step up. Personally I think Laraque's presence was more important then Laraque's fights. Thornton is a great example of what I mean. If Martin could turn Scott in a decent defensive d-man, so be it. I would much like to have a forward though that could hit hard and crash the net.
I always try to go for the toughest in the league to send a clear message. When we had Laraque, NO ONE & I mean NO ONE would fight him. I've seen Matt Carkner(who we drafted), Chris Neil, Milan Lucic,...the list goes on who refused him.

His teammates feel safer at that point.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:

White will be back, he is this guy. Remember last year and Subban being benched early in year. Elemin will be alright

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Signing Price to a long-term contract.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Right now our fourth line is Blunden-Nokelainen-Darche, which is better than Palushaj-Engqvist-Darche. But I still think this can be upgraded, especially for when we play against tougher teams.
White and Betts?

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
White and Betts?
Betts doesn't belong to the Habs.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:53 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Jordin Tootoo/Chris Neil and Mark Stuart

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

Aaron asham?

Gally and Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
habtastic

our biggest need (honestly):

health and consistency

that's it

we're a great team, just plagued by the lack of the above from time to time

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

The best part about people asking for a John Scott-type of player is that the minute that player will step on the ice and they'll realize how freaking awful they are at playing actual hockey, how slow they are and just how much of a burden they are, they'll be *****ing to ship said player away and that Gauthier is an awful gm.

Then we'll go a few games without a fighter, and the same people will whine to get another enforcer, but another one that they've been wanting for a long time. Cycle starts all over again. Laraque was the guy everyone wanted. Pens fans warned us over and over again about his polite fight requests that never lead to anything. He was the best in the league at what he did and he still wasn't enough to quench the fight-lovers thirst for punches-on-ice.

I don't want a fighter on this team. We have tough guys like Moen and White who can also play hockey. We're good. It's not what's at stake here, and I don't want to start a debate, but fighting won't be part of this sport for too long. Hard surface, unfit equipment, no gloves, players having to worry about their balance, exposing them to dangerous shots... It makes no sense to keep this shenanigan going.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:32 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
It's not what's at stake here, and I don't want to start a debate, but fighting won't be part of this sport for too long.
I agree, however since it is legal, it makes sense to try to get the BEST fighter.

We tried that with Laraque ... but unfortunately mgmt didn't realize he was a joke.

But if there is an angrier version of Laraque on the market, we'd be silly not to jump on it.

As long as fighting is legal, once in a while it's important to make an statement... not every game, but often enough to make overpaying for the best fighter around worth the cap hit... 30 games for 1.5 million and him doing his job is a good deal.

A guy like this is especially important to a smaller team.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:10 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I agree, however since it is legal, it makes sense to try to get the BEST fighter.

We tried that with Laraque ... but unfortunately mgmt didn't realize he was a joke.

But if there is an angrier version of Laraque on the market, we'd be silly not to jump on it.

As long as fighting is legal, once in a while it's important to make an statement... not every game, but often enough to make overpaying for the best fighter around worth the cap hit... 30 games for 1.5 million and him doing his job is a good deal.

what do you mean, "we" ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
what do you mean, "we" ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:56 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Why would you need the BEST fighter? You just need a couple of guys who can drop 'em when needed and won't take **** from anyone. That's it.

The Bruins that you like so much don't have the best fighters but they have good team toughness.

Last edited by Mike8: 11-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
number72

Elite top 6 talent...that is a few 30 goal scores/60 pointers.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Aurel Joliat

A new version of Stephane Quintal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWji2XAjDLI

That's what we miss !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote