HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Did You Become A Hockey (Kings) Fan?

Old
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simivalleykingfan View Post
I witnessed the Miracle in '82.
I envy you.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Riposte!

Glenn Murray, triple overtime, slapshot to beat Roy in the playoffs. Never heard a building so loud in my life.

Watched almost every game since then either live or on TV.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
formerlyMN

Hockey fan: I was born and raised in Minnesota so I cannot honestly remember a time when I wasn't a fan of hockey. I was a huge fan of the North Stars until the day they left, then I was a hockey nomad with no team. Stayed that way for many years.

Kings fan: I moved to California 10+ years ago, but it wasn't until the 2005-06 season that I finally made my commitment to the Kings and never looked back. Although I live closer to that other team, that was never an option...it was the Kings or nothing. So while I'm relatively new to Kings exclusivity, I've followed the team for much longer.

formerlyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
Gretz brought me back

used to watch and love the MTL and PHI games on the 'game of the week' back in the 70's. i think it was NBC that carried them, but don't hold me to that.

Gretz came to LA and I was immediately hooked back in. a few fraternity brothers also got into it and wanted to start playing as a result. that pulled me back in full-time. playing year round, coaching, season seats. caught a few games back in the old forum days before the move. i go through waves on how much i watch. some years (esp back in the ESPN days) i would watch 2-3 games a night, regardless of who was playing. when it comes down to it though, nothing beats watching the Kings for me.
NBC should bring back (an updated version of) Peter Puck. Those were really good.

And pre-Gretzky, you could buy 20 student tix with 1 student ID card. During-Gretzky there were no student tix.

I grew up in the high desert (Lancaster) and my friend next door played on the local ice team Roadrunners, so we played a lot of hockey in our back yard - first shoes, then eventually on roller skates, then rollerblades. We lived for all things Kings hockey. I had my mom sew Kings patches on many clothing items. (they don't sell patches at Staples do they? hmm...). And the Hockey Bible didn't sell purple numbers for Kings jerseys, so I'd order them in blue and my mom would dye them purple. It worked out ok....

Most of my family lives in Canada, so my cousins and I would play hockey in their basement during the summers - till it got too hot. We were up there one year for Christmas, so one day we scraped the slough and flooded it, played hockey on it the next day, but it snowed that night and we were not going to clear the thing a second time. But I did get my first pond hockey playing in, which was a blast.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
yankeeking

started going in 73 when I moved here from nyc , grew up a ranger fan and went to the forum to cheer against the other 5 original teams and for my rangers until the trade for that fat ass italion piece of shat and vadnais ruined rooting for them. Be came a fan mostly due to having so many rangers o n the team teddy irvine,stemmer,carr, williams and the 74-75 team had so much heart and rogie in goal that if you couldn't root for them then hockey wasn't in your blood. The three games against the leafs in the playoffs was so intense and the crowd so electric,even before the games that the kings were my new love and in those days if you rode a motorcycle they let you park for free, ladie were in for 1/2 price and the cheap seats were 4.25 and you could move down most game not against the leafs,cannadians and bruins. Still to this day the miraclce and the goal by butchie against the bruins in double o/t in game 6 have to be the most exciting times in sports and I have seen homeruns by Mantle, Maris,Berra to win games and seen ryan pitch a 1 hitter, all great memories but nothing as pure joy or ecitement as the forum crowd those nights, I truly believe that only raising that cup with all of you guys and this squad will beat those ........

PS started watching hockey in 61-62 holding the antenae so it pointed toward the empire state building so my uncle to could watch black and white broadcasts of his team (leafs) playing the rangers

Last edited by yankeeking: 11-02-2011 at 05:26 PM.
yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Firenze
Robynho

I dont remember exactly, it was in the season 07-08 when the team was very bad.

In Brazil we dont have the coverage on TV so i began to watch first on internet and after i signed the NHL Gamecenter to watch all Kings' games.

Firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:34 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

if i remember correctly the first game i saw was in 96 or 97 (i was 6 years old) it was a kings ducks game with my twin brother and my dad, i tried to watch any game i could i was never the type of kid to stay indoors and watch tv but if i would see the kings were playing i would definitley watch. i didnt really start watching every game (shout out to Dish DVR for making that possible) until about 4 years ago.. some guys here fans since 67 is SOO awesome, so jealous! now me and my brother literally get into fist fits over hockey to this day we used to work for my parents together and he was tryin to tell me cam fowler was leaps and bounds better than doughty, i lost it and punched him. i brought up hiller and the vertigo issues (i know its mean but when youre in the moment you say whatever to piss whoever off) lead to another fight. we dont see eachother much anymore but best believe i hold down the fort when he visits home. our house supports the kings, and ill keep it that way by any means!

LA Kings FTW

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Shootmaster_44

I became a Kings fan on August 9, 1988. Being 6 years old, my hero was traded from Edmonton to LA. Naturally, being 6 my allegiance switched from the Oilers to the Kings. Since then I haven't looked back.

I remember crying after the Kings were eliminated in I think it was the 1991 Smythe Division Finals. I also remember falling asleep watch the second half of the Hockey Night In Canada doubleheader watching the Kings play. If it wasn't for Gretzky, I often wonder whether HNIC would have ever gone to a doubleheader?

I remember sitting on the bench at my ball games in 1993 listening to the Maple Leafs/Kings Campbell Conference championship game and then racing home on my bike after they were over to see the final few minutes of each game.

Living in the middle of Oiler/Flame/Jets country sadly we saw maybe a dozen Kings games on TV each year. Once Gretzky was traded to St. Louis that dipped to maybe one or two. Once Sportsnet launched and the Oilers and Flames moved their games to cable, it meant the Kings were on 8 games each year. In fact, even playoff games are hit and miss on TV. It is tough being a Kings fan unless you have NHL Centre Ice.

It took me until the 2006-07 season to see the Kings live and November 26th against Chicago will be my first game in LA.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:10 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKingsBR View Post
I dont remember exactly, it was in the season 07-08 when the team was very bad.

In Brazil we dont have the coverage on TV so i began to watch first on internet and after i signed the NHL Gamecenter to watch all Kings' games.
Holding down the fort in Brazil!!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote