HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#13|Nov. 3, 2011|Devils at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
11-04-2011, 08:09 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
so was he minus 3? or was he on for a goal for?
Briere was -3 (worst of all Flyers)
Gustafsson was +2 (best of all Flyers)

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:19 AM
manisback121

I come in peace, you guys have a competitive team I hate to say and see it. I just want to say that it seems like laviolette is losing your team (can empathize, been through that) or causing extreme frustration.

If you notice the amount of times the net came off in your end last night alone, you would understand.

Im not criticizing, but wanted to point that out. Hextall used to do the same thing as well.

Stay with it, rivalry is a healthy thing, though sometimes unwelcome on either end.

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm starting to think Laviolette is nothing more than a smoke and mirror coach. The Islanders, Hurricanes, now here, every team he's ever coached, they've gotten progressively worse and worse with regards to defense. Honestly, what kind of system is this man employing? On top of it, why is he playing the life out of Giroux? 27 minutes tonight, 25 last night, jeez, give the man a break. How about giving some ice time to other forwards that have played decent (Couturier has been very good for the Flyers, yet he only received 11 minutes of ice time tonight - I don't get it). I'm starting to hope that Laviolette actually gets crap canned soon. Watching him coach is like watching a slightly more organized John Stevens coach......
i am a new flyers fan so i don't know much about his coaching style i, question it at times, as one should do with most coaches and players, but he seems alright.

I think the reason for the heavy use of Giroux is mainly for his faceoffs. It seemed like he was out there just to take the faceoffs many times. The Flyers are HORRIBLE in faceoffs and they were stuck in their own zone a lot and Giroux helped them out.

Remember also he is dealing with a few key injuries and he is probably trying to test of Giroux/Jagr/hartnell with 20+ minutes. I personally like watching that cause i am a jagr fan, and more Jagr time means more points for him. I hope he keeps playing the "#1 line" more.

Jagr in shootout: Jagr has a history of sucking in the shootout and it almost caused Rangers fans to hate him late in his time there. Although, if Jagr's confidence returns he may start taking them. The only way i see him taking them is if the flyers play a bunch of OT games and it gets late in the rounds and Jagr goes up and scores a few times and it's obvious he can still do it/has the confidence.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
kimmofan44

i think that most goalies in the league(especially backups) that find themselves in a shootout would rather not hear that jagr is next in line, i really think that his reputation would make a goalie flinch and maybe second guess themselves. i can't believe i'm actually this into jagr... i wanted to hate him forever but i find myself more and more transfixed on him evey game. i literally jumped out of my seat and screamed "he did it! he's a *** flyer now baby!" whe he finally scored his first goal as a flyer.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
our powerplay sucked too..
Jagr's not being used properly on the 5-on-4 powerplays.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Briere out for all three Devils goals against. Our center 'depth' scares the **** out of me.
Briere struggled last night, he wasn't 100% returning from the injury.

The D continues to be inconsistent and indecisiveness is an obvious concern.

Meltzer has a good column on last night's plusses and minuses.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...11411/45/39442

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I feel fortunate to have gotten a point.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

These two points rile me up the most...Lavy especially. I'm really not impressed with him overall this season and since the 2nd half of last season. The Boston series he was in full retard mode with his decisions...

Quote:
* Defending Barry Ashbee Trophy winner Meszaros has been one of the team's biggest disappointments in the early going. His positional play and puck management have been questionable in all three zones. In addition, right now, he couldn't shoot a puck from the point into the Delaware River. Even when he has a wide open shot and a good angle, everything is going wide.

Quote:
Peter Laviolette's game management last night left a whole lot to be desired. I'm not blaming the coach for the outcome of the game, but I don't think his personnel management last night was very good, either in the short-term perspective of the game or the bigger picture.

I know why he overused the top forward line and Timonen -- there was no real other choice with others banged up and so many defensemen struggling. But a) the team is in the midst of three-game-in-four night stretch, and b) doing that has a cumulative effect during the season, especially on an aging defenseman like Timonen.

There were opportunities to spread some minutes around, and Laviolette didn't do it. In particular, I didn't understand his use of Sean Couturier at all, either. He was one of the team's better players every time he hit the ice, and he only played 11:34 total. In the first two periods combined, Laviolette used Couturier for a total of 3:50 at even strength. Did the coach simply forget about him, especially during the second period? Suddenly, in the 3rd period and overtime, Couturier was out there a lot.

thought Rinaldo earned himself a few extra shifts -- at least early in 3rd pd -- but the bench was shortened in the middle of a three-game in four night stretch. The Flyers never trailed in this game and only had to kill three penalties. So you can roll four lines a little bit more. When supporting players like Rinaldo plays 2:24 and Jody Shelley plays 1:16 (three shifts) in the second of back-to-back games, the veteran players can end up with no legs by the end of the second game.

Last but not least, I didn't understand why the coach picked Simmonds over Jagr for the shootout, Simmonds' preseason shootout success notwithstanding. On the one hand, you have a future Hall of Famer who has been red-hot of late. On the other, you have a role player who has been struggling. Which guy would YOU want to have shooting?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I feel fortunate to have gotten a point.
Bryz and Bob last two games earned us the points..otherwise last year we would probably have a goose egg or 1 pt out of 4.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
StandingCow

I always enjoy reading Bill Meltzer's outtakes on games. He hit the nail on the head on multiple issues last night.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
I'd rather have seen Voracek.

Same here, I haven't seen him since we got him in the trade.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Aside from that....it's another case of people looking at box scores. We had at least 4 good chances last night on the PP. 2 definately should have been goals...
It's not like we looked 100% ineffective.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
What do you mean? Having Jagr try to stickhandle through every one of the opposition while the other 4 Flyers stand still at the opponent's blueline is a great PP tactic.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Yep. These are good points.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Aside from that....it's another case of people looking at box scores. We had at least 4 good chances last night on the PP. 2 definately should have been goals...
It's not like we looked 100% ineffective.
Only saw the 3rd pd, but it looked like the Flyers had some chances to score and didn't cash and made a few boo boos that ended up in their net.

Keep in mind also that we just got 5 out of 6 points with a string of injuries including:

Captain and best D: Pronger
Highest paid forward: Briere, who tried but wasn't himself last night.
Bright young rookie 3C: Schenn
Bright young rookie 3C: Read
Budding star LW: JVR (last night anyway)

The injuries have forced a lot of line juggling, which isn't making Lavy's job any easier.

It's not good to give up a point like that, but NJ was desperate after crapping the bed the night before on Brodeur's return vs. the Leafs.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What do you mean? Having Jagr try to stickhandle through every one of the opposition while the other 4 Flyers stand still at the opponent's blueline is a great PP tactic.
Jagr should be on the right side instead of in the middle. It's just silly and wasting Jagr on the PP.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote