HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I am embarrassed to be an Islander fan at a home game

Old
11-04-2011, 08:19 AM
IwayMike

vCash: 500
Why I am embarrassed to be an Islander fan at a home game

I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Brunomics

Complete and utter frustration from the fans, can you blame them after all these years? This team isn't exactly giving anyone anything to cheer about.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Hip Of Rick

We do suck they only speak the truth. They are paying fans who are sick of the bums dogging it every game

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
We do suck they only speak the truth. They are paying fans who are sick of the bums dogging it every game
This. I don't agree with the DiPietro chants since he played fine.

The team minus Tavares, Martin, and Streit were awful. They deserved every chant they got last night.

Yeah chant "go home" to the fans that actually give a **** about the team.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
I have been to two games and both times the Islanders were shut out. No big hits from and energy line, 1 fight, and a few scoring chances. I barely got out of my seat to cheer. Give me something to get excited about to want to go back to another game- something?

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.
It's been like that for a long time. Only frustrated diehards, ignoramuses and trust fund babies left that go. Since the place is usually half empty not many hear it.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:11 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
This. I don't agree with the DiPietro chants since he played fine.

The team minus Tavares, Martin, and Streit were awful. They deserved every chant they got last night.

Yeah chant "go home" to the fans that actually give a **** about the team.
DP was sloppy and let in weak goals. He is not an NHL goalie and he should not be starting any games going forward.

When DP plays the defense has to worry about him. He couldn't control the puck and looked like a beer league goalie.

Montoya should start next game and if DP is carted out there again. I will sell what i can of my seasons and give the rest away.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:14 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
When DP plays the defense has to worry about him. He couldn't control the puck and looked like a beer league goalie.
The defense was so worried about him that A-Mac even scored on him just for the hell of it. And where was he on that empty-netter?

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Words Of Wisdom

Because we have been garbage for a while now. There are high expectations for the team this year, and there looking like the same old lottery team.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:23 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
The defense was so worried about him that A-Mac even scored on him just for the hell of it. And where was he on that empty-netter?
agreed...people can bash DP all they want for not being able to stay healthy, etc but when he plays fine and you decide to bash him anyway just for the hell of it, it does nothing but lessen your future arguments

goaltending is the least of the islanders problems right now--it wouldnt have mattered if we had mid 90s patrick roy in net or myself--it still would have been the same outcome....a big fat L...how people are blaming DP when we have gotten shutout in 3 of the last 7 games and have scored 1.8 goals per game (one of them where we scored 6 goals!!!) thus far is incomprehensable

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
agreed...people can bash DP all they want for not being able to stay healthy, etc but when he plays fine and you decide to bash him anyway just for the hell of it, it does nothing but lessen your future arguments

goaltending is the least of the islanders problems right now--it wouldnt have mattered if we had mid 90s patrick roy in net or myself--it still would have been the same outcome....a big fat L...how people are blaming DP when we have gotten shutout in 3 of the last 7 games and have scored 1.8 goals per game (one of them where we scored 6 goals!!!) thus far is incomprehensable
so your telling me the soft shots he couldn't hold and flopped all over the ice to try to hold onto is OK.

Do you think DP should be the starting goalie? I think we have 2 other goalies that have proven to be better at this point in the season. He is not the reason we lost, we lost because we couldn't score but he is a liability.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Um... guess what? We DO suck. The fans aren't an embarrassment. The ****ing team is.

Guess what else? I could give a flying **** about how we outshot them. They "out-goaled" us and that's all that matters. Shut out... at home... by the Winnipeg Jets... a horrible defensive team MISSING 3 of their top 4 d-men. Yea, let's look for positives!!

As fans, we have every right to voice our opinion. The team is ****ing garbage. In fact, I was disappointed the chants weren't louder.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
so your telling me the soft shots he couldn't hold and flopped all over the ice to try to hold onto is OK.

Do you think DP should be the starting goalie? I think we have 2 other goalies that have proven to be better at this point in the season. He is not the reason we lost, we lost because we couldn't score but he is a liability.
yes, i saw those shots and they were terrible plays by DP...very lucky they didnt go for goals....however, please dont tell me that you didnt see montoya make those same exact plays a few times--particularly in the first few minutes of his starts....i remember a few examples of him doing almost the same thing

i am not a DP advocate or a DP hater....i want what is best for the team...however I am intrigued by his play thus far this season as this is by far the best he has looked in years...a DP that can post a .910 save percentage throughout the year for the next 5 years (obviously far from a sure thing) makes this team better--therefore I dont mind seeing him get a few starts as long as he doesnt hurt the team, which he hasnt up to this point

for what its worth:

1. Nabokov
2/3--DP/Montoya (any given night they are comparable IMO)

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Isles Junkie

This team hasn't won a playoff round in 17 years. They deserve every boo they get.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
He was on one of his strolls he likes to take. He was so far out of position on that ENG. It was really embarrassing. I mean the guy was just sitting there on the bench. inexcusable.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
This says it all...

Last edited by Trumanperro: 11-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:57 AM
macleod50

Quote:
DP was sloppy and let in weak goals. He is not an NHL goalie and he should not be starting any games going forward.

Montoya should start next game and if DP is carted out there again. I will sell what i can of my seasons and give the rest away.
Wait, where was this weak goal?

A great play by Kane and a tip in from his own defenseman...

I'm not a DiPietro fan but he was fine last night and made the saves he needed to. I don't care about the muffed saves or rebounds. They didn't go for goals. You can't blame him for either of the two goals last night.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
HookeyPookey*

AGREE glad someone else brought this up. I watch all the games from my bedroom and Ive watched a bit of hockey all round the league and the Islanders is the only team I can think of that seems to be outnumbered in their own building. The building isn't too old for Rangers fans to turn up and make their own.

I went straight from watching the Stanley Cup with the dedicated and raucous crowds there (Vancouver is intense). Straight to the half empty Coliseum lol, sadly I am use to there being 0 atmosphere and crowd involvement now though. I do occasionally hear chants and the crowd come to life in one of those rare games we score.

At some point the team actually is required to give something back to the crowd as well, to make them want to show up (opening night was the prime opportunity for this) especially against ****ing Florida for godsakes yee Islanders blow every chance they get.

I dont follow the stadium debate anymore but if the team moved to a more populous area and combined that with not being the worst team in the league then things would improve dramatically I think. Not even Blackhawk fans turn up when the team cant deliver.

I really think winning fixes the situation.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
well your not going to convince a bankrupt county to spend tax payer money with this kind of management running the organization.

Charles Wang needs to sell this team!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
E_Godard

Quote:

They mustve given away tickets to a bunch of long island trash last night. We had 3 low lifes sitting nearby in 102x, dressed in NY jets gear and one guy in camo and an Islanders hat that would not shut the **** up from the first to last minute of the game. Chanting stuff like "Kansas City!!", "Buy a real team!" and an assortment of **** that made zero sense about the NY Jets (I assume because we were playing Winn Jets) and Ed Mangano. It really made no sense and these ass clowns appeared and sounded like everything you try and tell people our fanbase is not. I can only assume these people won tickets or were given them for free. It looked like they could barely afford the coors lights they spend every minute of the game tieing back.

Wish the trash of the island would just stay away from the building. Last night was rough enough watching not one bounce go our way. And having to hear these low lifes in tandem just took away from any enjoyment of being in attendance at a game last night.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
They mustve given away tickets to a bunch of long island trash last night. We had 3 low lifes sitting nearby in 102x, dressed in NY jets gear and one guy in camo and an Islanders hat that would not shut the **** up from the first to last minute of the game. Chanting stuff like "Kansas City!!", "Buy a real team!" and an assortment of **** that made zero sense about the NY Jets (I assume because we were playing Winn Jets) and Ed Mangano. It really made no sense and these ass clowns appeared and sounded like everything you try and tell people our fanbase is not. I can only assume these people won tickets or were given them for free. It looked like they could barely afford the coors lights they spend every minute of the game tieing back.

Wish the trash of the island would just stay away from the building. Last night was rough enough watching not one bounce go our way. And having to hear these low lifes in tandem just took away from any enjoyment of being in attendance at a game last night.
I agree that people chanting "kansas city" and all that garbage should just stay the **** home. No room for people like that.

But the booing? Well deserved if you ask me. As fans, I think we have had enough at this point.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Hipster Doofus

**** about DP. Who gives a **** about him? He sucks balls and is a joke. I don't boo, but I have no problem with the DP ****. Just another insult to the fanbases intelligence (though judging by the ****-sucking he gets by fans, maybe they are right to assume we are dumb).

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
**** about DP. Who gives a **** about him? He sucks balls and is a joke. I don't boo, but I have no problem with the DP ****. Just another insult to the fanbases intelligence (though judging by the ****-sucking he gets by fans, maybe they are right to assume we are dumb).
Take the hater glasses off, DP was NOT the problem last night.

11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Take the hater glasses off, DP was NOT the problem last night.
DP is never the problem. Last years numbers? Doesn't matter cause of some BS reason.

If it makes you feel better, I really hate DP as a human being. Really do. Cause thats the only argument you people have had for 3-4 years.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
DP is never the problem. Last years numbers? Doesn't matter cause of some BS reason.

If it makes you feel better, I really hate DP as a human being. Really do. Cause thats the only argument you people have had for 3-4 years.
Last year is exactly that, last year. This year SO FAR, DP is NOT the problem. Your hate for him is blinding rational discussion. Did he deserve the criticisms last year, absolutely! This year, has not warranted such criticisms yet.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote