HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 11 vs. Anaheim Ducks

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 1 0.78%
Ryan Callahan 4 3.13%
Erik Christensen 5 3.91%
Michael Del Zotto 7 5.47%
Brandon Dubinsky 5 3.91%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 2.34%
Marian Gaborik 119 92.97%
Dan Girardi 10 7.81%
Henrik Lundqvist 93 72.66%
Ryan McDonagh 64 50.00%
Brandon Prust 2 1.56%
Brad Richards 8 6.25%
Michael Sauer 3 2.34%
Jeff Woywitka 33 25.78%
Other 2 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-04-2011, 08:12 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Last year, I could not understand why Gabby had this high salary. Now I know. He is a total beast.
Great game, fun and entertaining hockey. Didn`t see that too much last year.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Boyle made 2 big turnovers right at the end (3rd period and/or OT). That could've cost us. He's been subpar most of the season. Looks so much slower.
Could have sworn Prust made the two most egregious turnovers late in the game.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Could have sworn Prust made the two most egregious turnovers late in the game.

99% it was Boyle. They were only a couple minutes apart tops too.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:18 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
99% it was Boyle. They were only a couple minutes apart tops too.
No it was actually Prust.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
mullichicken25

Was glad to see our defense really hold up well against a seriously talented offense....there was a few break downs for sure but overall good performance

Also, gaborik should open a restaurant that only has crow on the menu....he'd make a killing serving it to all the morons ready to trade him for a bag of pucks last season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
No it was actually Prust.
I clearly recall the (2) Boyle turnovers in his own zone. He capped off that shift by flubbing a scoring chance at the other end.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I mean, I was pimping this kid as our next, great shutdown D. I figured he'd evolve his game a bit and bring us some break-out play and all. He always had a great first pass in college. He's truly developing his offensive game up here. His defensive game is already damn-near perfect. It's going to be scary once he develops fully offensively. He will never be the 50-60 point offensive D-man he was originally drafted as. But this kid will be touching 40 points sooner or later.
Remember the off season when we were signing McD my god a great example of the fail around here. People demanding we trade him or cut him for no reason.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Was glad to see our defense really hold up well against a seriously talented offense....there was a few break downs for sure but overall good performance

Also, gaborik should open a restaurant that only has crow on the menu....he'd make a killing serving it to all the morons ready to trade him for a bag of pucks last season
The stroking of Gaborik is getting so absurd.

He's playing well but he's still maddening because there are so many instances over the course of the game where he comes up small. If you sit on your couch 20 feet from the TV screen you'll only see his scoring chances and the replays and when Sam and Joe praise him. If you sit 2 feet from the TV you will see all the times the puck comes to him and he shies away from making a strong play on the puck because a defender is bearing down on him.

Also, I know Gabby is dexterily challenged but hes gotta try something else on those virtual one on one plays. His only options right now are to put the puck in teh defenders feet and try to poke it by him (when he tries this you'll hear fans say "Oh man that was so close to Gabby dusting him" - except its never worked in tons of tries) or Gabby will just unload a snapper that hits shin pads. Take a page out of the Kovy playbook. Kovy will dip a shoulder, fake a defenseman out of his shorts and then have a clear opening.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Yes, let's try to make Gaborik into something he's not.

The problem you have is not really with Gaborik, but with your own lack of understanding of who Gaborik is as a player. Therefore, you have unrealistic expectations of him.

He's got a great shot. He's got amazing speed. He has the ability to disappear from defenders attention and reappear in a scoring area. In fact, he's so much better than most of the league at those three things and that's what makes him successful. Also, he's got good work ethic and he's an underrated passer. He does not have a physical edge to his game in any way. He does not have great deking skills. He isn't great at protecting the puck. Once you understand all of these things about his game and adjust your expectations to suit them, you'll be a lot happier with Gaborik.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Remember the off season when we were signing McD my god a great example of the fail around here. People demanding we trade him or cut him for no reason.
Yeah people were freaking out that he "didn't want to be a Ranger!" and were super mad that he wasn't signing right away, rumors were rampant that he didn't want to leave school because of a girl, etc

Now he's telling NY radio that he loves being a Ranger and playing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

The problem you have is not really with Gaborik, but with your own lack of understanding of who Gaborik is as a player. Therefore, you have unrealistic expectations of him.

He's got a great shot. He's got amazing speed. He has the ability to disappear from defenders attention and reappear in a scoring area. In fact, he's so much better than most of the league at those three things and that's what makes him successful. Also, he's got good work ethic and he's an underrated passer. He does not have a physical edge to his game in any way. He does not have great deking skills. He isn't great at protecting the puck. Once you understand all of these things about his game and adjust your expectations to suit them, you'll be a lot happier with Gaborik.
This is all true. He's a great offensive player but he's not a complete player. But the Rangers don't really need him to be one either

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:

He's playing well but he's still maddening because there are so many instances over the course of the game where he comes up small. If you sit on your couch 20 feet from the TV screen you'll only see his scoring chances and the replays and when Sam and Joe praise him. If you sit 2 feet from the TV you will see all the times the puck comes to him and he shies away from making a strong play on the puck because a defender is bearing down on him.

Also, I know Gabby is dexterily challenged but hes gotta try something else on those virtual one on one plays. His only options right now are to put the puck in teh defenders feet and try to poke it by him (when he tries this you'll hear fans say "Oh man that was so close to Gabby dusting him" - except its never worked in tons of tries) or Gabby will just unload a snapper that hits shin pads. Take a page out of the Kovy playbook. Kovy will dip a shoulder, fake a defenseman out of his shorts and then have a clear opening.
I think Gabby knows what hes doing. Hes played the way hes played for a long time and hes been successful. When he tries to be some thing hes not, is when he struggles.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Ola

Quote:

My problem with Gabby is only really the type of player he de facto is (which he nor you can't do anything about).

Undoubtedly, for his team, he is the most successful personally when playing a big role on a team that is pushed back alot. A classic counter attack player.

The type you over the years often has seen in the top 10 in scoring but seldom being a key player for a contender if you get what I mean. Look at Marian Hossa in Atlanta vs Marian Hossa in Pitt/Det/Chi.

There is nothing fishy nor anything to critizise with the above. Its pretty simple maths. On a less than avg team someone like Gabby or Hossa will get a very big role, they get many counter attack chances (since they are pushed back alot), and thats something these guys thrive on.

To win nowadays you need to be dominant. A player like Datsyuk is great at making his team dominant. You basically not get that at all from a Gabby (while you get equal stats more or less).

I can only speak for my self, but I am not 100% sure of the suitability of having 7m invested in a player like Gabby if you intends to become a contender.

At the same time, there are instances in history when a guy like Gabby really has meshed on a line and been a important part on a truely dominant line. So I am definitely not without hope. But I also has to admit that I kind of get frustrated with Gabby's lack of ability to adjust in the situation the other poster above described (like when he sktates into a defender and put that snipe into the chest of the goalie 99 out of 100 times). I would have liked to see him develop some other habits in the attacking zone for sure. For example find other types of open ice from where he can use his shot from more of a distance for example. That way he would lure out the D's more from the box around the net, and open things up from in close. Looking at a player like JJ -- he was just amazing at adjusting like that. The guy basically didn't use his slapper at all in the NHL his first 10 years, than all of a sudden he is scoring like 30 goals in NY with his slapper in a single year. With Gabby its just the same things over and over again.

Last edited by Ola: 11-04-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I can only speak for my self, but I am not 100% sure of the suitability of having 7m invested in a player like Gabby if you intends to become a contender.
Yeah, that's a different argument. Although, I will say this... generally speaking, the only way to pay a player of Gaborik's caliber LESS than what he's making right now is to sign him to a longer term deal than the 5 years we got him for. The two players you mentioned, Datsyuk and Hossa, are signed for 7 and 12 years respectively. Given Gaborik's injury history, is that something you really would want? Or, at the very least, would've wanted 2 years ago when we signed him? Not me. I'd also rather have Gaborik on his $37.5m deal than Kovalchuk on his $100m deal.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
My problem with Gabby is only really the type of player he de facto is (which he nor you can't do anything about).

Undoubtedly, for his team, he is the most successful personally when playing a big role on a team that is pushed back alot. A classic counter attack player.

The type you over the years often has seen in the top 10 in scoring but seldom being a key player for a contender if you get what I mean. Look at Marian Hossa in Atlanta vs Marian Hossa in Pitt/Det/Chi.

There is nothing fishy nor anything to critizise with the above. Its pretty simple maths. On a less than avg team someone like Gabby or Hossa will get a very big role, they get many counter attack chances (since they are pushed back alot), and thats something these guys thrive on.

To win nowadays you need to be dominant. A player like Datsyuk is great at making his team dominant. You basically not get that at all from a Gabby (while you get equal stats more or less).

At the same time, there are instances in history when a guy like Gabby really has meshed on a line and been a important part on a truely dominant line. So I am definitely not without hope. But I also has to admit that I kind of get frustrated with Gabby's lack of ability to adjust in the situation the other poster above described (like when he sktates into a defender and put that snipe into the chest of the goalie 99 out of 100 times). I would have liked to see him develop some other habits in the attacking zone for sure. For example find other types of open ice from where he can use his shot from more of a distance for example. That way he would lure out the D's more from the box around the net, and open things up from in close. Looking at a player like JJ -- he was just amazing at adjusting like that. The guy basically didn't use his slapper at all in the NHL his first 10 years, than all of a sudden he is scoring like 30 goals in NY with his slapper in a single year. With Gabby its just the same things over and over again.
This is pretty much how I feel, especially the bolded part.

Yes Gaborik has been very good this year. But people are elevating him way too high. At his ceiling there are still some problems with his game that I just can't look past to put him in the franchise player category.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Yeah, that's a different argument. Although, I will say this... generally speaking, the only way to pay a player of Gaborik's caliber LESS than what he's making right now is to sign him to a longer term deal than the 5 years we got him for. The two players you mentioned, Datsyuk and Hossa, are signed for 7 and 12 years respectively. Given Gaborik's injury history, is that something you really would want? Or, at the very least, would've wanted 2 years ago when we signed him? Not me. I'd also rather have Gaborik on his $37.5m deal than Kovalchuk on his $100m deal.
Why did you take an Ola quote and put my name on it? Lol

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
A little late for the bandwagon talk, but I'm on it 100%. Once we get Staal back and the team continues to gel we are going to be an awesome team. I'll try my best not to turn on the team and end up on the "banned" wagon.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Don't know what you guys are talking about, but Gaborik has been dominant this season. Physically engaged, creating scoring chances. He's a threat whenever he's on the ice. He could've had MULTIPLE goals against Hiller, who's a very good goalie. And even though he didn't, his presence on the ice allowed him to set up Woywitka (with a great pass) to give us our only goal of the game. He's noticeable every night, if not every shift.

I've really never seen Gabby so engaged in all aspects of his game. His speed is back, his shot is back, and he's not been afraid to get physical and drive the net, either. It's an absolute pleasure to watch.

Can he keep it up? Who knows. But Gabby is flying right now, and if this is how Gabby is going to play for the rest of the year he's a dominant player.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Awesome, thank you for posting.
In that pic he kinda looks like a young Don Maloney

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

A few things that stood out in this game for me

• Very impressed with McDonaghs game. Hes really developing into a very good player.

• Everytime Cam Fowler's name is called I get sick to my stomach. I'm usually not a monday morning qb with drafts, but this was a sure bet they passed up. Very disappointing. I dont care how good McIlrath will be, Fowler is going to be jsut as good or better and its what the Rangers need.

• Gaborik is playing possessed right now. Really happy with his game.

• I tell you what, im not that bothered by having Christensen and Wolski in the lineup. they both have a very good amount of skill and to be honest (outside of Wolski getting hurt) they've been really playing well as of late... and it starts and ends with one thing - SKATING.

• Anisimov is slowly building his game. He is going to hit his stride along the way here.

• Eminger has quietly played a good game.

• Del Zotto has quietly played a very good game.

• Boyle made several bad plays with the puck last night.

• The MSG ice blows as usual.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:

Just give Gabby some credit when it is due, and maybe stop sitting so close to the TV it may be messing with your head.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote