HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Matt Carle Official turnover thread

Old
11-04-2011, 03:34 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
The biggest "turnover" is going to be the new contract that Homer will grant him in the off season

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:16 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Carle does stay here all season. But I think we should just tank that whole salary (I mean not re-sign him and taking the current salary as a baseline) and literally dump 4.5 to 6 million for Suter.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
thelos
Bunk

Carle is an assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Carle does stay here all season. But I think we should just tank that whole salary (I mean not re-sign him and taking the current salary as a baseline) and literally dump 4.5 to 6 million for Suter.
4.5 for Suter? You saw what Wisnewski got this off season right? Suter is going to be the top D man UFA and is going to get like 6.5-7 million

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Carle is an assclown

4.5 for Suter? You saw what Wisnewski got this off season right? Suter is going to be the top D man UFA and is going to get like 6.5-7 million
It depends on how the cap increases, but I don't know if he'd get that much. The highest paid D men are offensive players like Doughty, Campbell, and Boyle. Wisnewski scored 51 points last year. Suter is good offensively, but only has 1 season of over 40 points I believe, and that was a couple years ago.

As for Carle, this is why he really is a #4. He can certainly play on a top pairing like we have seen, but he can't be relied to carry one. Coburn is the same way. He could technically be your #2 by playing on the top paring, but he really couldn't be relied on to carry the 2nd pairing.

So, if both are capable of playing on either of the top two lines, but neither are capable of being "the guy," then I'd have to say they're just solid #4 D men.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:39 AM
thelos
Bunk

Suter will likely have 29-30 teams talking to him about a contract on July 1(if he makes it there).

Old
11-04-2011, 08:50 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Carle + 1st for Eminger + bad/decent prospect?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
thelos
Bunk

John Carlson alone is better than Carle

Old
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Suter will likely have 29-30 teams talking to him about a contract on July 1(if he makes it there).
He's going to get a lot, but unless he has a great offensive year, or the cap has a big bump again I don't see him making $7m. All the guys that get paid that much put up points. He's never had more than 8 goals, and has had 4 goals in 2 straight years.

Maybe if he's the only good free agent d man available someone will give him a contract like that. I don't know who else is going to be out there.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:04 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He's going to get a lot, but unless he has a great offensive year, or the cap has a big bump again I don't see him making $7m. All the guys that get paid that much put up points. He's never had more than 8 goals, and has had 4 goals in 2 straight years.

Maybe if he's the only good free agent d man available someone will give him a contract like that. I don't know who else is going to be out there.
J-Bo got 6.68 million and he isnt a huge points guy either

Old
11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
J-Bo got 6.68 million and he isnt a huge points guy either
He's also scored 15 goals more than once and has had multiple 40+ point years.

I could see someone throwing something ridiculous at Suter if he's the only real option available, but I think high 5's is where he's going to be unless the cap goes up again. In that case $7 million might be the equivalent of what $5 million has been in recent years.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I really don't understand the Carle support that the fans of this team have. I haven't been a fan of him since he's been here. He has some flashes of good play, he can block some shots for you and is ok when paired with pronger, but randy jones would look good paired with pronger.

I would seriously consider trading him and making a move for Ryan suter at the deadline in nashville is by chance out of contention. Either that or trade him and pick up a rental until the end of the season and then sign Ryan suter in the offseason.

If we drop some salary, like bob, Carle and maybe voracek, we would probably be able to give him the ~$6 million cap hit he'll likely get.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:15 AM
DUHockey9

I'd be very surprised if Suter gets less than 6, and honestly wouldn't be all that shocked if he gets 7. (Not saying he's worth that though.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:17 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
"Well, you know, I could play the puck safely out of the zone off the boards, or even skate a little more to see if any other options open up. But no, I think instead I'll try to force feed the puck up the middle and hope the Devils player that's right in front of my teammate I want to pass it to misses the puck and we get out of the zone safely."

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

As of right now, we have ~9.9 million in cap space for next season. This includes laperriere, betts, carle, coburn, voracek, and jagr coming off the books. Let's say we let Carle walk and trade voracek's rights.

-If we move bob, we'll have ~11.65 million.
-if we waive shelley, we'll have ~12.75 million.

Let's say suter accepts a long term deal with a cap hit of 6.5. That leaves about 7.6 million to sign coburn, Jagr, a backup goaltender, and maybe a 4th line face off guy.

Doable? Will Jagr accept a lower cap hit if he decides to come back?

Also, this is including Schenns 3.1 cap hit. How does that work for next season? Does it go back up? Can we send him back down again for a bit to lower the cap hit?

Last edited by orange is better: 11-04-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old
11-04-2011, 09:48 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'd be very surprised if Suter gets less than 6, and honestly wouldn't be all that shocked if he gets 7. (Not saying he's worth that though.)
Don't even worry about Suter. Nashville will have him done before end of season. Apparently, he is next up on their to-do list. They want him locked up before they move on to the big dog. Suter is a dream, he isn't hitting the market IMO.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Don't even worry about Suter. Nashville will have him done before end of season. Apparently, he is next up on their to-do list. They want him locked up before they move on to the big dog. Suter is a dream, he isn't hitting the market IMO.
It's not about how good he is. It's a matter of money. Nashville likely will not be able to afford Rinne, weber AND suter.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Foreverinour

most of the defense was bad. coburn was turning it over half the time. two turnovers = 2 goals. lack of focus/awareness. they will play better (coburn and carle), but i think what we've seen these past years is pretty much it for their progress/development. suter is apparently going to get around 6mil. weber around 7.5. timonen is probably going to retire after next season when his contract ends.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The line with Carle gets drawn because he is pretty good as a whole, where the moneyball people like him, and that's ok because doing that you've bought into looking past the 'when.' The flip side is that some of his turnovers come at the worst possible times, where you can not just give up goals, but lose points in the standings.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Carle isn't the only turn over machine the whole team is turning it over..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The line with Carle gets drawn because he is pretty good as a whole, where the moneyball people like him, and that's ok because doing that you've bought into looking past the 'when.' The flip side is that some of his turnovers come at the worst possible times, where you can not just give up goals, but lose points in the standings.
Carle is what he is. An average #4.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
It's not about how good he is. It's a matter of money. Nashville likely will not be able to afford Rinne, weber AND suter.
Well after signing Rinne yesterday they said they have the money for all 3. Suter will be next as he's the UFA. Its all up to Suter and Weber really...they will get paid, do you want to be a predator.
Like hamhuis. He wanted to be a Canuck, the end.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Carle isn't the only turn over machine the whole team is turning it over..
While this is true, Carle does seem to be leading the charge in this area game after game.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Well after signing Rinne yesterday they said they have the money for all 3. Suter will be next as he's the UFA. Its all up to Suter and Weber really...they will get paid, do you want to be a predator.
Like hamhuis. He wanted to be a Canuck, the end.
Now I'm confused.

Are you trying to say its up to them to decide whether or not they want to be predators?

Old
11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
While this is true, Carle does seem to be leading the charge in this area game after game.
You're right.

Carle leads the team with 15 giveaways. Second place is Coburn with 9, then Hartnell and Jagr are tied for 3rd with 8.

On the other side, Carle and Jagr are tied for first with 7 takeaways...though in Carle's case he has over twice as many giveaways...Jagr is close to even.

11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50

"You want for me to dig up some bones for ya Chris? cause you and me are pals eh Chris?"

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote