HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

I just made a bet with my friends that the Isles would make the playoffs

View Poll Results: Will the Isles make the playoffs?
Yes - Good Bet 14 32.56%
No - Get ready to pay up 29 67.44%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

vCash: 500
I just made a bet with my friends that the Isles would make the playoffs

Alright, I just made a bet with 3 of my friends. Every single one of them thought the Isles would be very far down in the Eastern conference standings at the end of the year. Feeling risky, I made a bet with them: If the Islanders make the playoffs, then the one friend I made the initial bet with has to buy the other three of us dinner (At a very expensive steakhouse). If the Islanders miss the playoffs, I have to buy dinner for ONLY the one friend I made the bet with, and not the other two (We had this in the bet just because they thought the odds of the Isles making the playoffs were pretty bad and wanted to make it fair).

So what do you think? Do you think you guys can squeeze into the playoffs like I do?

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Islanders1932

I definitely do. I have been telling people since before the season began that I fully expect the Isles to sneak in.

Islanders1932 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I made a bet with my friend who's a rangers fan $50 that the Isles would end up higher in the standings than the rags.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I made a bet with my friend who's a rangers fan $50 that the Isles would end up higher in the standings than the rags.
Nice bet! Very risky, but I admire standing up for your team and putting your money where your mouth is.

I added a poll to get the general opinion.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
KyleBailey12

I'm biased.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
IslesNYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Alright, I just made a bet with 3 of my friends. Every single one of them thought the Isles would be very far down in the Eastern conference standings at the end of the year. Feeling risky, I made a bet with them: If the Islanders make the playoffs, then the one friend I made the initial bet with has to buy the other three of us dinner (At a very expensive steakhouse). If the Islanders miss the playoffs, I have to buy dinner for ONLY the one friend I made the bet with, and not the other two (We had this in the bet just because they thought the odds of the Isles making the playoffs were pretty bad and wanted to make it fair).

So what do you think? Do you think you guys can squeeze into the playoffs like I do?

You definitely have a chance at winning the bet, but your two friends make out on this like bandits. No risk, High Reward. Instead of you getting the benefit of the odds, your buddies get the benefit and the one betting gets the potential penalty.

IslesNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Pay up! I hope you didn't bet a lot because you might having to pony up come december at this rate lol.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Hey guys. Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd piggyback on this one. I made a bet with some of my friends that I could hit the Mir space station with a Taco Bell chalupa using a slingshot. Do you think I made a good bet?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Hey guys. Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd piggyback on this one. I made a bet with some of my friends that I could hit the Mir space station with a Taco Bell chalupa using a slingshot. Do you think I made a good bet?
Depends on the conditions of the bet. I could do it. Theres a piece in the Smithsonian, considering it crashed to earth a decade ago. I could try to get a sling shot and a chalupa in there and hit it. Not Impossible.

Now I now what you were getting at and the fact is we are 9 games into the season and only 3 or 4 points out. SO QUIT the DOOM & GLOOM.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

The Islanders are definitely going to make the playoffs..........eventually. Actually I would say this season is about 50 - 50. They have been playing better lately. If they can learn to give an honest effort EVERY night then things look good for them. The goaltending has been better then I expected they just need to score some more goals.

Axe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

lol. And what have you seen that would make you think the Islanders could make the playoffs?

The Rangers are the only other team that may somehow be worse than we are in the Atlantic.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Isles72

anythings possible but I think you should have waited til next year to make a bet

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
I hope your friend doesn't have expensive tastes.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:07 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Pony up Timbo....this might cost ya.

Until this team gets better talent and some real defensemen...it wont get a sniff of the playoffs.

11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Pony up Timbo....this might cost ya.

Until this team gets better talent and some real defensemen...it wont get a sniff of the playoffs.
Is that Custer on your Avatar?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Is that Custer on your Avatar?
Yup indeed it is...

DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Yup indeed it is...
Don't know if I like where he's leading us...

While on the topic of bets, I made one with my bestfriend (ranger fan) that whose ever team made the playoffs, the other would have to buy 2 tickets of comparable prices (whatever the min. price at MSG would equate to here at ****hole Arena). If both make it, well darn we'll just HAVE to go to both games. haha

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

To everyone - thanks for the responses. I guess

Eh, I can see you guys making it in. I like your forwards, your defense is probably better than everyone is giving them credit, and I'm a big Nabokov fan - he'll have to stand on his head during the season at times, but he's good enough to do just that.

Honestly, I just like to make bets with people. I think I have a problem

Old
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Depends on the conditions of the bet. I could do it. Theres a piece in the Smithsonian, considering it crashed to earth a decade ago. I could try to get a sling shot and a chalupa in there and hit it. Not Impossible.
Go ahead, sir. Just try to get into the Smithsonian with a slingshot and a chalupa. National security will come raining down on your skull with the fury of a thousand suns. I CALL YOUR BLUFF!

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Noreaster96

I voted no moreso because I thought you could've gotten better odds (and more for yourself than just you and your two other friends haha) than because I think the Islanders cant make the playoffs. Do I think they will? probably not, but if the odds were like 6 dinners at the expensive steakhouse to one then id probaly take that deal too

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
lol. And what have you seen that would make you think the Islanders could make the playoffs?

The Rangers are the only other team that may somehow be worse than we are in the Atlantic.
I honestly think after their display against the sharks that they got it together. The people that needed to step up did and that's the biggest difference between a playoff team and one who isn't.

Given that they started the season in a foreign country and then on the road for so long, it was hard for them to find their footing. Big people came through in the last game and a come behind victory is soooo important for team moral. Not to mention that Marc Staal will eventually be back and when he does that will monumentally make that defense more confident and better.

Us on the other hand (besides JT, Streit and our Goalies) don't have the people producing that were key in the "success" of last year's second half. We suck. The Rag$ will make the playoffs us and maybe the devils will not. Simple mathematics.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Go ahead, sir. Just try to get into the Smithsonian with a slingshot and a chalupa. National security will come raining down on your skull with the fury of a thousand suns. I CALL YOUR BLUFF!
I'm sure there are other pieces around the world on display. I agree with KrisBe.....not impossible. Make it a supreme!

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
HookeyPookey*

The sadistic and cruel side of me wants to see how this thread would go in the general section.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote