HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can professional hockey work in Columbus?

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 11:22 AM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Can professional hockey work in Columbus?

Greetings all,

Long time watcher of the boards, but it wasn't until last night that I felt angry enough to actually sign up for an account and post.

The start of this season has been very disheartening after such an exciting offseason, and it has me wondering if professional hockey can even work in Columbus.

Now hear me out before you jump on me: CBus has had this team for 11 years. One of those seasons has been full of competitive hockey, and even in that season, all we got was a #7 seed that led to us being swept in the playoffs. We've rebuilt not only this roster but this organization three times already, with a fourth rebuild likely on the way. No one goes to the games unless we're playing the Red Wings or the Penguins, and those turn into away games for the CBJ. So with this all in mind, I ask you to answer me this:

What proof do we have that professional hockey at the NHL level can work long-term in Columbus?

I know most of you will say the 2009 season, but like I said, that was still only a #7 seed and a playoff sweep. By Blue Jackets standards, that was successful, but not by actual NHL standards.

My fear is that I'm right and that the city, which as proven by attendance and TV ratings, is the issue.

Anyone have any answers? I cannot explain how frustrated I am.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
BluejacketNut

I will never argue that Columbus is a "hockey town", its just not. Its been built on football. Last nights game had a great atmosphere because of the Toronto fans. Normally its not an exciting environment unless a goal is scored, a fight, or the final 3 minutes of the game.

But thats also not to say it cant succeed here, but its the same as probably 80% of the other locations....win and they will come, lose, and they'll stay away. Is Dallas a "hockey town", no, but they won and they supported it. The key is winning, no one wants to support a loser when you dont have a culture of hockey in its past, and regardless of the Chill, or the Owls, that is not in the culture.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
blahblah

Die, tread, die.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:42 AM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I will never argue that Columbus is a "hockey town", its just not. Its been built on football. Last nights game had a great atmosphere because of the Toronto fans. Normally its not an exciting environment unless a goal is scored, a fight, or the final 3 minutes of the game.

But thats also not to say it cant succeed here, but its the same as probably 80% of the other locations....win and they will come, lose, and they'll stay away. Is Dallas a "hockey town", no, but they won and they supported it. The key is winning, no one wants to support a loser when you dont have a culture of hockey in its past, and regardless of the Chill, or the Owls, that is not in the culture.
I agree, but I'm beginning to wonder if building a winner in Columbus is even possible

Old
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I fail to see the point of this thread. What does the city have to do with the losing? Are you trying to say that the team would be better if it was in a " hockey city"?

Old
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
I agree, but I'm beginning to wonder if building a winner in Columbus is even possible
It's possible - you just need people in charge who have a vision and know what they're doing. After 11 years, the Jackets are unfortunately still looking for those people.

Hell, if the Detroit Lions can turn things around like they have, the Jackets should be able to as well.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
jmcsaros

This is silly, the town has nothing to do with it.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
So because the franchise has been a sideshow for 11 years, it's the city's (and by extension, the fans') fault?

Name me another market in the US that would put up with this crap for as long as Columbus fans have.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:52 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
The fact that there were people in the arena at all last night, and actually cheered a couple of times, should prove that the city isn't an issue.

By all rights, the place should have been empty last night after how this season has started. If this franchise ever ices a winning team, the town will back it, guaranteed.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
It's possible

Hell, if the Detroit Lions can turn things around like they have, the Jackets should be able to as well.
In a cap league any team can win given that it is managed right. Managment has been the problem for 11 years not the city or fans.

And to say that the city or fans are the problem is very insaulting.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Die, tread, die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcsaros View Post
This is silly, the town has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
So because the franchise has been a sideshow for 11 years, it's the city's (and by extension, the fans') fault?

Name me another market in the US that would put up with this crap for as long as Columbus fans have.
Yes, but we've fired or traded everyone else. This is all that's left.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Kev22

I'll answer this question with a question. Can professional football work in Cincinnati?

Old
11-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I'll answer this question with a question. Can professional football work in Cincinnati?
nice

Old
11-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Byrral

A playoff appearance is not the thing that I would use to determine whether this team has long term viability in this city. I look at the years prior to making the playoffs. The team was an attendance success for the most part for an expansion franchise even as a losing team up until Priest was hired as President.

FGMDM did a good job of selling a bad product but it did prove that there is a viable fan base in this city whether they are CBJ fans or turncoat hockey fans. Either way there are enough "hockey fans" here or within a short distance that like NHL hockey and can support a major league hockey franchise in the Columbus Metropolitan area.

The past few years attendance specifically are from years of losing. This is my third year since giving up my PSL's. I feel a large relief that I haven't spent tens of thousands of dollars on the rudderless and sinking ship on Nationwide Blvd. I can also guarantee that me and the 6+ thousand other PSL holders that have left in the past few years still are huge hockey fans and still support and want this team do well. We also would have never given up our tickets in the first place if things had been different.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

This may be the dumbest thread on HFboards at present.

I mean, Columbus the city, the fans, are far from the issue here.

Duh.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
This may be the dumbest thread on HFboards at present.

I mean, Columbus the city, the fans, are far from the issue here.

Duh.
This board needs a minimum post count before you can start a new thread.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
You win the internet.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Byrral

One more thing, aren't the TV ratings in this area for NHL hockey really, really good. I thought the area was top ten US ratings for the playoffs last season. Am I wrong? Too lazy to look it up

Old
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
It ain't over till Leesmith makes a thread about it.

11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

The Blue Jackets ratings in Columbus are in the bottom 5 of the league.

I'm not insulting the fans. I'm insulting the lack of fans. Three times this year the Jackets broke their own attendance low. At one point, literally less than 50% of the arena was full.

It's been 11 years. Are we still blaming Maclean for f'ing up the franchise? We've tried every type of coach, type of roster, and type of management. None of them have won anything in this city.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
One more thing, aren't the TV ratings in this area for NHL hockey really, really good. I thought the area was top ten US ratings for the playoffs last season. Am I wrong? Too lazy to look it up
It's also usually in the top 10 for the Winter Classic as well.

The first few years of the franchise should be proof that an NHL franchise can work in Columbus. The issue is the win-loss column since then.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:

I'm not insulting the fans. I'm insulting the lack of fans. Three times this year the Jackets broke their own attendance low. At one point, literally less than 50% of the arena was full.

It's been 11 years. Are we still blaming Maclean for f'ing up the franchise? We've tried every type of coach, type of roster, and type of management. None of them have won anything in this city.
ALL of the attendance problems can be blamed on the poor performance of the team. The arena was quite full for years, even with a losing record, and the one playoff appearance and draft were absolutely bonkers. People have finally gotten fed up with poor results after more than a decade. It's not a lack of fans, it's fans who have had enough, and with good reason.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Byrral

Quote:

Not saying you're wrong but link please!

Old
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Seedtype

Quote:

I disagree, it wasn't until two years ago we wiped out the previous coaching staff completely. This team has never completely wiped out the era of crappiness behind it.
Plus, the people that they have brought in were incapable of fixing completely the epic fail that was the Doug Maclean era.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:

I don't think you really have a coherent point.

Your last paragraph sounds like you're blaming ownership, which is actually a valid point, but I think it's accidental.

You're "insulting the lack of fans" - what does that even mean? Again, name me another market where fans would be selling out the arena after 11 years of this nonsense. In fact, most markets that have actually won something in their history (Dallas, Colorado, to name a couple) - currently have awful crowds and they've only been bad for a couple seasons. (and can still hang their hats on their winning history and the fact that things will inevitably get better.)

Closed Thread