HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letestu

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
  #1
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Letestu

Making the morning rounds through the blogosphere, found a reference to this article on PensBurgh:

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...For-Pittsburgh (Blues blog)


Here's the link to the original blog post: http://www.pensburgh.com/2011/11/4/2...e-on-the-block

DegenX is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
  #2
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 500
Good cap hit but I think Letestu's one-way deal will limit his value and potential suitors with his current form.

WVP is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:01 AM
  #3
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,922
vCash: 500
Right now it looks like they may need another D-man.

bigd is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
  #4
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,669
vCash: 500
They have to make room for Sid, TK and Staal by next Friday.

SirBrad is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
  #5
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,639
vCash: 500
Should be able to fetch the same as Cal O'Reilly.

wej20 is online now  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
  #6
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Probably (definitely, maybe) out in left field with this one, but since we're not too happy with Letestu's performance, and the Blues' seem to be a little frustrated with Oshie ..

DegenX is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
  #7
Sotty
Registered User
 
Sotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Westfalen
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
They could get a decent bottom6 player for Letestu. He doesn't have many points so far, but there are many teams who could use a center that can win some faceoffs.

Sotty is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
  #8
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Should be able to fetch the same as Cal O'Reilly.
Sounds about right. He would have brought more in return last season, but his value has been drug down some now that he's on a one-way deal and has had such a lackluster start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.
Edit: I agree about this too.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
  #9
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
They could get a decent bottom6 player for Letestu. He doesn't have many points so far, but there are many teams who could use a center that can win some faceoffs.
If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.

wej20 is online now  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
  #10
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.
It's to clear NHL roster space. The Pens would waive Letestu back to the AHL if they thought he could clear, so if the best prospect offered is an AHL-level player, they'd certainly take him.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
  #11
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
It's to clear NHL roster space. The Pens would waive Letestu back to the AHL if they thought he could clear, so if the best prospect offered is an AHL-level player, they'd certainly take him.
if went to the AHL wouldn't he have to go through re-entry waivers if he was recalled? I have a hard time believe he wouldn't get claimed on re-entry and then we'd be on the hook for half his salary. I was only guessing they wouldn't want an AHL guy because of the contract limit but I'm not sure exactly where they're at.

wej20 is online now  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
  #12
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
if went to the AHL wouldn't he have to go through re-entry waivers if he was recalled? I have a hard time believe he wouldn't get claimed on re-entry and then we'd be on the hook for half his salary. I was only guessing they wouldn't want an AHL guy because of the contract limit but I'm not sure exactly where they're at.
Yeah, but that wasn't my point. My point was that they don't want Letestu out of their system, they just want his NHL roster spot worse.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
  #13
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Yeah, but that wasn't my point. My point was that they don't want Letestu out of their system, they just want his NHL roster spot worse.
my point was that if he's in the AHL and they can't call him up because of re-entry waivers then there isn't much point in having him in the system.

wej20 is online now  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #14
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP
 
wheelz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!

wheelz87 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  #15
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!
not sure how anyone could be disappointed with him last year.

wej20 is online now  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  #16
khaoskennedy
Registered User
 
khaoskennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!
ur right this year has been disappointing but last year he was playing well, until he was injured and had to play as a 1st/2nd line Center with Neal and Kovalev.

that being said id rather we trade him that just lose him on waivers

khaoskennedy is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
  #17
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,532
vCash: 500
I wouldn't call last season a disappointment. He was streaky and didn't do much after his injury, but he still had a solid year overall, especially for an undrafted guy.

This year has been different though. He's been consistently invisible and hasn't brought anything to the lineup when he's been in it. I think there's a reason he's been so much worse the 2nd half of last year and so far this year and that's his role became too much for him to handle and he also hasn't found any real chemistry with anybody since the Buzz Line broke up .

I think chemistry can be a big thing for any player. Staal looks a lot better with Cooke and Kennedy than anybody else. Crosby has that with Kunitz and Dupuis and Malkin had that with Sykora and then struggled mightily to find chemistry with anybody else after Sykora's game fell off the face of the earth and the Pens let him go.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
  #18
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Why would anybody want a center that has exactly 1 assist in 11 games played this season and is -6? Who could possibly be that desperate??

gordie is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  #19
The Room*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,340
vCash: 500
Loved him before his injury last year but since then, he's done a 180 and is playing like dog **** now. Hope he finds his touch somewhere else.

The Room* is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  #20
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt for a DMan at the moment just as a depth guy, unless Shero is okay with Bortuzzo.

I mean right now we have Martin and Engelland as the only guys healthy all year, Orpik and Letang have missed games, Niskanen got a little nicked last night, and Michalek and Lovejoy are out. So say Letang has to miss next game (sheerly for refurbishing purposes after playing 34 mins last night while nicked up), we're looking at Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland, Strait, then maybe Valabik or Bortuzzo. Another depth defenseman might not be the worst plan.

A single pick would be fine too, like O'Reilly, I'm just saying not to rule out a defenseman.

EDIT: wait, we brought up Picard. Jesus Christ now I want a DMan.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
  #21
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Yeah if theres a team that needs a center and has two fast energy guys to put him with he could really work for them.

Maybe in Anaheim he could center Beleskey and Smith-Pelley or something like that.
In Chicago im not sure. Thier 4th line now consists of Mayers/Carcillo/Kruger/Olesz??


If we traded him for a Dman I wonder who we could get that isnt waiver eligible. He'd have to be a pretty basic Dman with no upside Id think.

regard is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
  #22
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
If we traded him for a Dman I wonder who we could get that isnt waiver eligible. He'd have to be a pretty basic Dman with no upside Id think.
So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?

vecens24 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  #23
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I wouldn't call last season a disappointment. He was streaky and didn't do much after his injury, but he still had a solid year overall, especially for an undrafted guy.

This year has been different though. He's been consistently invisible and hasn't brought anything to the lineup when he's been in it. I think there's a reason he's been so much worse the 2nd half of last year and so far this year and that's his role became too much for him to handle and he also hasn't found any real chemistry with anybody since the Buzz Line broke up .

I think chemistry can be a big thing for any player. Staal looks a lot better with Cooke and Kennedy than anybody else. Crosby has that with Kunitz and Dupuis and Malkin had that with Sykora and then struggled mightily to find chemistry with anybody else after Sykora's game fell off the face of the earth and the Pens let him go.
Good post

JTG is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
  #24
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?
Yeah I guess so.

The reason I said that is because if hes waiver eligible we'd just lose the DMan on waivers instead, or have to trade him eventually.
If hes not waiver eligible then hes going to be younger and theres not many teams that would want to give up a legit prospect for Letestu.

regard is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
  #25
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?
Strait, at the same age, is leap years ahead of where Rob Scuderi was. I wouldn't say he's reached his ceiling yet (even if he doesn't continue to improve as much as Scuderi did).

Skk82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.