HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another reason why Réjean Tremblay should ****

Old
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Harry and his team ain't journalists.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
What is funny is guys like Alain Chantelois and him can actually still talk live on TV about stuff like that.

I mean really, don't we have good journalists in Quebec than can take over?

It's pathetic.

These ****tards talk about country clubs in teams etc but they don't realize their networks are filled with country clubs and not being accountable.
+1

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
HabsByTheBay

When Quebecor brings back the Nordiques, would anybody be surprised to see Tremblay carry their water?

As for the idea that because the town cares so much about the team the journalists have to create controversy, I can only say that I disagree. The entire state of Wisconsin is bonkers for the Green Bay Packers, and I think anybody trying to stir up trouble in Green Bay would be run out of town on a rail. They've even got one fifth the games (excluding playoffs) the Habs do, so they have far more copy to fill in proportion to what's actually going on.

The Habs are fine with journalists, they're probably even fine with informed, legitimate criticism. But the press pack in MTL is too often like two-year-old toddlers trying to knock stuff over, and while it's not the best thing for freedom of the press, I can see why the Habs want these guys to knock it off. The best way to do so is by denying access.

It's just like Tremblay's spiels about how the Habs hate Quebecois. I suggested a couple months ago that he really try to examine the facts and how it would be great journalism. But he's too lazy for that.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The really funny part in all of this, is that if some cabal of some kind could take Rej to power in the province, he'd easily turn the province into a dictatorship, and try to ship out or exterminate any non-French folks, and anyone who speaks another language than French in Public. There would be book and sign burning of everything not French.

Rej is probably the closest thing we have to a Nazi in the Quebec sports media.
You would make an amazing anglo counter-part to Réjean. You should send your resume to the Gazette.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
As for the whole "PR" thing... Well... I'm sure Montreal journalists understand and deal with it. That's not to say they don't enjoy creating controversies. Think about it. You work for a 24/7 sports channel and the only sport people care about in the city is Canadiens. Not hockey. Habs. That's all they want to talk about. How much can you REALLY cover if you don't start your own ********? When the slightest thing happen, let's say Subban leaves his clothes on the ground in the locker room and a veteran calls him out on it, you HAVE to cover the "incident" in every possible way, because after a while, there's only so much that can be said about Nokelainen's acquisition or the chemistry on the third line.
Maybe the problem is that we have simply too many journalists covering the team. When there is limited information shared with an extremely large group of people, it has to stretch to a certain extent.

Look at the english side...There are maybe 20% as many journalists covering the team in terms of english, Montreal based news outlets (and even that, to me, is too many). People who follow the english side of things aren't exactly missing out, despite fewer choices.

Quote:
1) How is that a "tough" question? That's an easy answer. "Ask Pierre Gauthier, I didn't make that decision". That's what Ladouceur would answer because that's just the simple matter of the fact.
Because if that was said, an article would come out within 24 hours saying "Ladouceur does not even know why Pearn was fired. Gauthier lacks comminication to his staff".

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I hate Tremblay with a passion. But not being able to talk to Ladouceur about what he'd want to implement and all is stupid. Just like not being able to talk to Timmins on draft day and let Gauthier do it, Gauthier who has no idea who those players are. And from the few times we hear Gauthier, let just say that we could get rid of the biggest press conference of the year which is the post-season report. Based on the fact that you never hear anything and Gauthier makes sure to do it the day after being eliminated so that the only thing they could see is....."We don't know yet, evaluations needs to come, if there's something we'll let you know".

Having said all of that SOME medias do only have themselves to blame. But my point is that if you don't want to give anything to Tremblay, well don't. And give it to the ones who does a respectful job. I don't know but did Ladouceur talked to McGuire and Dubé on the radio? Here's an example of what they could have done. Just choose to inform your fans at your TV and Radio partners.

But Tremblay is stupid and all those comparisons should be enough to ban him for everything. The organization doesn't talk. If there would be propaganda, they'd only talk when it's good.....but they don't talk.....Just retire already....
I don't like Rejaune either but the Habs have a history of having everything being done behind closed doors like the Maffia. All it does is create an air of hostility with the media and when everything goes south, the media is less than friendly with them. Plus when you hide everything, the speculations just grow and grown to epic proportions pretty quickly. It would kill the story pretty fast if Habs personel would be easier available.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Maybe the problem is that we have simply too many journalists covering the team. When there is limited information shared with an extremely large group of people, it has to stretch to a certain extent.

Look at the english side...There are maybe 20% as many journalists covering the team in terms of english, Montreal based news outlets (and even that, to me, is too many). People who follow the english side of things aren't exactly missing out, despite fewer choices.

Because if that was said, an article would come out within 24 hours saying "Ladouceur does not even know why Pearn was fired. Gauthier lacks comminication to his staff".
1) Random numbers. The proportions of anglo population in Qc VS the number of Habs coverage is pretty high. Right now, the only 24/7 sports station on the radio is English. Maybe the proportion of Francophone journalists VS population is higher, but not by much.

2) You are being harsh. Yeah, sometimes media outlets covering the Canadiens spin what is said. Sometimes, they create drama about the most asinine stuff. But they don't spin everything. If it was someone desperate to make a name for himself, maybe. But Gagnon, overall, is--as I mentioned before--a pretty safe choice, if any, to get that interview.

That said, we definitely won't argue about the fact that there's way too much coverage. But don't act as if the Canadiens are poor victims. They are the ones who cultivate this culture. And they are racking up the money thanks to it. Have you seen how expansive those tickets are? They're selling tons of jerseys, car flags, etc. That's mostly because of this craving they've created over the past few years.

In the end, no entertainment business should generate this kind of media response/coverage. There are far more worrisome things going on here in our province to spend that much time and spill that much ink on a hockey team.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't like Rejaune either but the Habs have a history of having everything being done behind closed doors like the Maffia. All it does is create an air of hostility with the media and when everything goes south, the media is less than friendly with them. Plus when you hide everything, the speculations just grow and grown to epic proportions pretty quickly. It would kill the story pretty fast if Habs personel would be easier available.
Sorry but this made me lol irl. The comparison is hilarious.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
CaptainC

The habs don't owe anything to anybody. They are a private organisation and it's within their right to give information however they please. They are not Quebec's team, we are not shareholders for the habs, if they want to shutdown some journalist then so be it it's within their right. Obviously it does create bad PR but i guess that's their choice.

CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Sorry but this made me lol irl. The comparison is hilarious.
Kimota is Rejean. It makes so much sense now.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
.....Plus when you hide everything, the speculations just grow and grown to epic proportions pretty quickly. It would kill the story pretty fast if Habs personel would be easier available.
Don't you think a responsible journalist should be above making stuff up or repeating half truths or flat out lies? Aren't they supposed to be at least one step above the fanboys who post on RDS' talkback?

I guess that is too much to ask.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Kimota is Rejean. It makes so much sense now.
I thought calling someone Réjean Tremblay was a bannable offense?

It should be!

Old
11-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You would make an amazing anglo counter-part to Réjean. You should send your resume to the Gazette.
Chu français, monsieur l'ignorant. Mais, aussi anglais.

Shocking

That kinda kills your assumptions, huh?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Chu français, monsieur l'ignorant. Mais, aussi anglais.

Shocking

That kinda kills your assumptions, huh?
lol I laughed when he said it though. Deserved a

This thread has been epic.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i think the ultimate lesson here is the "media" needs to start doing better journalism, and that would start with hiring competent journalists.
Unfortunately the public seems to like reading crap and the better the journalists the lower the daily circulation. Highbrow Le Devoir sits at about 40,000, La Presse has 250,000, and the sensationalist Journal de Montreal draws over 300,000.

Can't really blame the papers for giving their readers what they want.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
But he does have a point that the organization should let journalists conduct interviews with members of the organization, it's ridiculous to "ban" journalists from talking to Randy Ladouceur...
Why? If the journalists act like idiots why should they be rewarded for it?

As far as censorship goes, Tremblay is free to spread his crap all over the walls as he usually does. Nobody is trying to censor him. And as far as the Nazi comparison goes, Tremblay is basically showing what he's really made of by putting this kind of tripe out in print. Personally, I'm surprised the Habs haven't ignored more journalists by now. Esp after the fiasco with Koivu in the hospital. Tremblay and his ilk are basically the TMZ of the sportsworld. Why should the club support this garbage?

If the papers want to stir up crap, that's their business. They're obviously desperate enough to sacrifice professionalism for newspaper sales. That doesn't mean that the organization is obligated to help them out.

And if the papers want to stop covering the Habs, that's up to them. That's highly unlikely though considering they've already shown that they'll sell their souls to boost paper sales. And without any Hab coverage they'd be left to rot in the rain.

If anything, I'd say the Habs should start making everyone less accessible to these kinds of fools.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:20 AM
BLONG7

Tremblay seems to think he and his readers should be privy to what goes on in the organization? Really?

Is there any other team in the league who has to endure this crap?

I think if some of the montreal media were not so sensationalized, they would have better access, but it seems that the montreal media spends more time spewing crap, than reporting actual sporting news that concerns the team...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Being nice hasn't worked.

At the end of the day, the organization has the right to make some or all of its employees unavailable to yellow journalists and I don't blame them for exercising it.

BTW, Jack Todd is no better. He's a total amateur who would be a really, really bad HF poster. I can't believe he has a job at the Gazette as he should've been fired years ago.

The quality of sports journalism in Montreal is shockingly poor. And it's surprising because you'd think that with the club being as popular as it is they wouldn't need all of the sensationalist crap that they conjure up.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:35 AM
habsjunkie2*

I do think that closing doors to the media and operating like a secret society gives more reason for people to speculate and potentially blow little things out of proportion.

I don't think they have a right to be told anything though, but I'm not sure preventing access does the habs any favors tbh.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I do think that closing doors to the media and operating like a secret society gives more reason for people to speculate and potentially blow little things out of proportion.

I don't think they have a right to be told anything though, but I'm not sure preventing access does the habs any favors tbh.
Does anyone REALLY think that an interview with Ladouceur would have revealed anything that would shock the world? The interview is a contrived exercise in lobbing softball questions and getting standard canned vague and vanilla flavoured answers. Ladouceur is seasoned in this area.

The benefit of playing nice with media, even the radicals, is that it keeps them disincented from writing the tabloid stories, which I believe can hurt the performance of the team.

My concern in all of this is the character development in the Molson Group's ownership story. When I think of the group so far I think of:

1) The president being replaced by a representative of ownership to keep a close eye and control on things

2) Bullying of Montreal businesses under the guise of copyright and brand protection

3) Ticket price hikes disproportionate to changes to the quality of the product

4) Less communication and now a deterioration of the relationship with media.

I know some people are going to come screaming at me for these individual points but honestly does anyone feel that things are improving in comparision to George Gillett.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Does anyone REALLY think that an interview with Ladouceur would have revealed anything that would shock the world? The interview is a contrived exercise in lobbing softball questions and getting standard canned vague and vanilla flavoured answers. Ladouceur is seasoned in this area.

The benefit of playing nice with media, even the radicals, is that it keeps them disincented from writing the tabloid stories, which I believe can hurt the performance of the team.

My concern in all of this is the character development in the Molson Group's ownership story. When I think of the group so far I think of:

1) The president being replaced by a representative of ownership to keep a close eye and control on things

2) Bullying of Montreal businesses under the guise of copyright and brand protection

3) Ticket price hikes disproportionate to changes to the quality of the product

4) Less communication and now a deterioration of the relationship with media.

I know some people are going to come screaming at me for these individual points but honestly does anyone feel that things are improving in comparision to George Gillett.
Well, are they decreasing? No they're not. In fact, the team has gotton better every year for about 2-3 years now. Also, let me answer every points you brought :

1) He canned someone(Boivin) because he could do his job, as he have experience in this and because he wants the Habs to be his job, he wants to know what is happening, which is great.

2) Well, I think went a bit far with this. Altough, from a marketing point of view, they made right choice.

3) When Gillet was the owner, the price of the tickets got higher every year, as the demand/supply was getting bigger. Also, he paid the team and everything about $300M. The Molson's paid it about twice what he paid. Again, Demande/supply.

4) I think the media are to blame for that. They went from being nice and quoting players for real and not inventing stories to twisting players words and inventing stories (darkest day in Habs history + kovalev tape). Actually, I don't recall any **** stirring coming from the english media. Now, I know RDS are DIRECTLY related to the Habs (by Bell) but the only person I'd let interview players is David Arsenault. As for the rest, Matthias Brunet and MA Godin would the other allowed. And that's it. Suck it, Gagnon, Tremblay(Rejean) and all that bunch of **** stirring *****es.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Well, are they decreasing? No they're not. In fact, the team has gotton better every year for about 2-3 years now. Also, let me answer every points you brought :

1) He canned someone(Boivin) because he could do his job, as he have experience in this and because he wants the Habs to be his job, he wants to know what is happening, which is great.

2) Well, I think went a bit far with this. Altough, from a marketing point of view, they made right choice.

3) When Gillet was the owner, the price of the tickets got higher every year, as the demand/supply was getting bigger. Also, he paid the team and everything about $300M. The Molson's paid it about twice what he paid. Again, Demande/supply.

4) I think the media are to blame for that. They went from being nice and quoting players for real and not inventing stories to twisting players words and inventing stories (darkest day in Habs history + kovalev tape). Actually, I don't recall any **** stirring coming from the english media. Now, I know RDS are DIRECTLY related to the Habs (by Bell) but the only person I'd let interview players is David Arsenault. As for the rest, Matthias Brunet and MA Godin would the other allowed. And that's it. Suck it, Gagnon, Tremblay(Rejean) and all that bunch of **** stirring *****es.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I'm sorry, who's this guy?

Old
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'm sorry, who's this guy?
The wrong guy (Red Fisher)

Sorry, I got him confused with this wonderful man:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=691418

Lots of "anglo" journalists/commentators are taking part of the whole circus, for the record. PJ Stock and Tony Marinaro are two that come to mind.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
The wrong guy (Red Fisher)

Sorry, I got him confused with this wonderful man:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=691418

Lots of "anglo" journalists/commentators are taking part of the whole circus, for the record. PJ Stock and Tony Marinaro are two that come to mind.
Ah, I had Red in my mind but couldn't think of who it could he lol. And yes, I forgot about PJ Stock, but he shouldn't be taken seriously. The guy is a Habs hater, I don't understand why he still has a job, all he does is bash, bash, bash the Habs. And he can't even speak french. And Marinoaro, whileI'm not a big fan, usually says the truth. I remember the Price vs Markov fiasco which turned out to be true.