HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Can professional hockey work in Columbus?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
  #26
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
The Blue Jackets ratings in Columbus are in the bottom 5 of the league.

I'm not insulting the fans. I'm insulting the lack of fans. Three times this year the Jackets broke their own attendance low. At one point, literally less than 50% of the arena was full.

It's been 11 years. Are we still blaming Maclean for f'ing up the franchise? We've tried every type of coach, type of roster, and type of management. None of them have won anything in this city.
Again you are saying that it is the city and fans fault that ownership has not provided the team with the proper management?

Even with poor attendance this team is the 5th highest paid team, so the lack of tickets sold is not the problem because it is not hurting the payroll.

You are should just stop posting now before you embarrass yourself more then you all ready have.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
  #27
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 12,820
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Not saying you're wrong but link please!
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...aying-put.html

DJAnimosity is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
  #28
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
I wonder what the OP's motives could be?


Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 11-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:00 PM
  #29
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Professional sports of almost any kind could work in Columbus, I think.

Certainly professional hockey can, wake me up when we actually get a pro team.

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
  #30
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Professional sports of almost any kind could work in Columbus, I think.

Certainly professional hockey can, wake me up when we actually get a pro team.
Man this joke never gets old.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:02 PM
  #31
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
Greetings all,

Long time watcher of the boards, but it wasn't until last night that I felt angry enough to actually sign up for an account and post.

The start of this season has been very disheartening after such an exciting offseason, and it has me wondering if professional hockey can even work in Columbus.

Now hear me out before you jump on me: CBus has had this team for 11 years. One of those seasons has been full of competitive hockey, and even in that season, all we got was a #7 seed that led to us being swept in the playoffs. We've rebuilt not only this roster but this organization three times already, with a fourth rebuild likely on the way. No one goes to the games unless we're playing the Red Wings or the Penguins, and those turn into away games for the CBJ. So with this all in mind, I ask you to answer me this:

What proof do we have that professional hockey at the NHL level can work long-term in Columbus?

I know most of you will say the 2009 season, but like I said, that was still only a #7 seed and a playoff sweep. By Blue Jackets standards, that was successful, but not by actual NHL standards.

My fear is that I'm right and that the city, which as proven by attendance and TV ratings, is the issue.

Anyone have any answers? I cannot explain how frustrated I am.
16,022 went to see a 1-9-1 team get its second win last weekend.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
  #32
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
16,022 went to see a 1-9-1 team get its second win last weekend.
probably a third of those got in for free though.

Also seemed appropriate to go see a horror show on halloween....

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
  #33
Byrral
Registered User
 
Byrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Thanks DJ.

The ratings fell 23% in 2010 from the year before which is no surprise considering the turd they put on the ice last season. Numbers should be even worse this season.

Byrral is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
  #34
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
I still believe that with a couple of seasons of consistent winning that tickets for CBJ games will be damn hard to get. It's just getting to that point that's the trick...and I think a lot of people may have thought that it would have started THIS year.

Somebody on the last page brought up Dallas, where fan bases have bailed after a couple years of losing. I can vouch for that...I was at the CBJ game in Dallas. More than half empty, with completely empty sections in the upper bowl.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
  #35
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
probably a third of those got in for free though.

Also seemed appropriate to go see a horror show on halloween....
What's your point? Even if a 1/3 got in for free they still took time out of their day to go to a hockey game. Also even if the tickets were free they still paid for parking and likely food and drinks so not only did they come to a hockey game they spent money to do so.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:15 PM
  #36
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
The Blue Jackets ratings in Columbus are in the bottom 5 of the league.

I'm not insulting the fans. I'm insulting the lack of fans. Three times this year the Jackets broke their own attendance low. At one point, literally less than 50% of the arena was full.

It's been 11 years. Are we still blaming Maclean for f'ing up the franchise? We've tried every type of coach, type of roster, and type of management. None of them have won anything in this city.
Either you just started following the NHL and NHL ratings or your post is disingenuous. Columbus is historically top 10 in ratings of all NHL cities in the US.

This year's low rating are a result of the poor start of this team coupled with years of futility.

Please, take an hour and educate yourself. Here's a good link for you:

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/

It's wonderful, you can educate yourself on years of hockey TV ratings. You might learn that Columbus had the 8th highest ratings in all of the US for the Olympic Gold Medal game. You might learn Columbus has the 6th highest ratings of ALL US NHL cities for the Cup Finals just this past June or that among non-NHL markets Cincinnati was a very limp 30th with 1/5th the viewers that watched in Columbus.

I guess it depends on your motives. Do some research, then post what you learn.

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
  #37
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
I don't think you really have a coherent point.

Your last paragraph sounds like you're blaming ownership, which is actually a valid point, but I think it's accidental.

You're "insulting the lack of fans" - what does that even mean? Again, name me another market where fans would be selling out the arena after 11 years of this nonsense. In fact, most markets that have actually won something in their history (Dallas, Colorado, to name a couple) - currently have awful crowds and they've only been bad for a couple seasons. (and can still hang their hats on their winning history and the fact that things will inevitably get better.)
You really think this city is supporting the team? Have you seen attendance numbers? They only sold out on opening night and other than that their highest attendance numbers have been for the Red Wings (thanks, RW fans) and Halloween, when all kids got in free. How about this- name me a successful sports franchise that has to let fans in for free to fill the building?

As for the first two years being a sign the CBJ can work here, ANY city is going to sell out for an expansion franchise because of the novelty of the product. Those first two years don't mean anything.

CinciWildcat18 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
  #38
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
i think i will get in trouble again if i say what i want to say in this thread so i will just say:


wahsnairb is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
  #39
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
How about this- name me a successful sports franchise that has to let fans in for free to fill the building?
Tampa Bay Rays, if i remember, were giving away playoff tix this season, weren't they?


None of this is the paying customers fault. This entire mess has happened because of the sufficient lack of proper oversight and responsibility. Does this city lack the diehard fans to pack 18000 in everynight without being a competitive product? Yes, you're seeing it now, "give away nights" aside, they are lucky to squeeze the diehards, which probably only number anywhere from 6500 to 9500, but fairweather fans will return if this organization ever decides it wants to become a winner.

Nobody was saying that Pro Hockey couldn't work in Chicago, St. Louis or Pitt when these teams were drawing between 2-4,000 a night a few years ago.

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
  #40
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
You really think this city is supporting the team? Have you seen attendance numbers? They only sold out on opening night and other than that their highest attendance numbers have been for the Red Wings (thanks, RW fans) and Halloween, when all kids got in free. How about this- name me a successful sports franchise that has to let fans in for free to fill the building?

As for the first two years being a sign the CBJ can work here, ANY city is going to sell out for an expansion franchise because of the novelty of the product. Those first two years don't mean anything.
Again what does attendance have to do with the performance on the ice? Attendance is a product of performance not that other way around with the team in questions is spending to the cap.

BTW how many games have you been to?

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
  #41
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Again what does attendance have to do with the performance on the ice?

BTW how many games have you been to?
I've been to three games, and if you don't think attendance doesn't affect this bottom line of the franchise, which in turn affects the on-ince product, then I don't know what to tell you.

CinciWildcat18 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
  #42
Byrral
Registered User
 
Byrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Either you just started following the NHL and NHL ratings or your post is disingenuous. Columbus is historically top 10 in ratings of all NHL cities in the US.

This year's low rating are a result of the poor start of this team coupled with years of futility.

Please, take an hour and educate yourself. Here's a good link for you:

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/

It's wonderful, you can educate yourself on years of hockey TV ratings. You might learn that Columbus had the 8th highest ratings in all of the US for the Olympic Gold Medal game. You might learn Columbus has the 6th highest ratings of ALL US NHL cities for the Cup Finals just this past June or that among non-NHL markets Cincinnati was a very limp 30th with 1/5th the viewers that watched in Columbus.

I guess it depends on your motives. Do some research, then post what you learn.
Thanks for this leek. I didn't think that I was a complete moron

Byrral is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
  #43
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
You really think this city is supporting the team? Have you seen attendance numbers? They only sold out on opening night and other than that their highest attendance numbers have been for the Red Wings (thanks, RW fans) and Halloween, when all kids got in free. How about this- name me a successful sports franchise that has to let fans in for free to fill the building?

As for the first two years being a sign the CBJ can work here, ANY city is going to sell out for an expansion franchise because of the novelty of the product. Those first two years don't mean anything.
Detroit Red Wings in the 80's and they gave away free cars too!
St. Louis Blues.

Cincinnati Bengals- oops you said successful sorry

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
  #44
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
I've been to three games, and if you don't think attendance doesn't affect this bottom line of the franchise, which in turn affects the on-ince product, then I don't know what to tell you.
I don't think anybody's doubting that. This team has lost over 50 mil since Scott Howson took over in June, 07... The payroll has gone up and the results remain the same, or in some seasons worse.

The sale of the Arena to the County helps, but you're seeing it now, Priest and ownership pretty much went all in with Howson's Free Agents/Trades this season and Priest has already stepped out of the shadows and said, on the record, "The losing can't continue"

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #45
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
The Red Wings giving away free seats was 30 years ago.

By any reasonable set of standards, a successful sports franchise should either win or make money. It's been 11 years and the Jackets have done neither.

CinciWildcat18 is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #46
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
The Red Wings giving away free seats was 30 years ago.

By any reasonable set of standards, a successful sports franchise should either win or make money. It's been 11 years and the Jackets have done neither.
Like everyone else has said here, This isn't because of the fans.

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
  #47
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
It ain't over till Leesmith makes a thread about it.
Oh, you're funny!

leesmith is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
  #48
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
I've been to three games, and if you don't think attendance doesn't affect this bottom line of the franchise, which in turn affects the on-ince product, then I don't know what to tell you.
3 games this year or 3 games in 11 years?

When the team is spending to the cap attendance its really hard to blame the attendance for what is on the ice. Your argument only works if the team is cutting pay because of lack of ticket sales and that is just not happening here and never has.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
  #49
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
The Pittsburgh Penguins went bankrupt twice and were only saved by Mario Lemieux both times.

So, I think the question is whether professional hockey can work in Pittsburgh.

Seriously, do you think even in one of the prototypical hockey markets that years of poor performance won't have an effect? Look at what Jacobs did to the Bruins pre-cap, what Wirtz Senior did to Chicago, Baldwin did in Pittsburgh, the Wings of the 70's and 80's, etc.

If this team were a perennial playoff team and not drawing, then you might have a point.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  #50
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
The Red Wings giving away free seats was 30 years ago.

By any reasonable set of standards, a successful sports franchise should either win or make money. It's been 11 years and the Jackets have done neither.
Actually it was 25 years ago. and you forgot to ask about the Blues, who did this TWO years ago.

Your posts seem eerily familiar.

Some kid from Cincinnati was posting on the business board a couple years ago. He claimed the Blue Jackets should be moved to Cincinnati. He also claimed there is a new king of college football in Ohio, the Cincinnati Bearcats. He seemed to troll a lot.

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.