HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another reason why Réjean Tremblay should ****

Old
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Ah, I had Red in my mind but couldn't think of who it could he lol. And yes, I forgot about PJ Stock, but he shouldn't be taken seriously. The guy is a Habs hater, I don't understand why he still has a job, all he does is bash, bash, bash the Habs. And he can't even speak french. And Marinoaro, whileI'm not a big fan, usually says the truth. I remember the Price vs Markov fiasco which turned out to be true.
I agree that we shouldn't take PJ Stock seriously (he's worse than Jack Todd) but if you're going to just omit him then we might as well omit those other idiots too.

Bottom line is that Montreal is home to some of the worst sports journalists on the planet. I'm just surprised Howard Berger doesn't work there.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree that we shouldn't take PJ Stock seriously (he's worse than Jack Todd) but if you're going to just omit him then we might as well omit those other idiots too.

Bottom line is that Montreal is home to some of the worst sports journalists on the planet. I'm just surprised Howard Berger doesn't work there.
You know how on the main board, people often say that Montreal has the worst fans?

The way we usually defend ourselves is by saying--truthfully--that with the numbers of fans we have, of course we're going to have a larger number of trolls.

It's the same thing here. Of course the French-side of the media has the worst morons. They far outnumber, in total numbers, the number of journalists and commentators on the English side.

The truth is, it bugs me when people make the differentiation between French and English journalists. As if speaking one language or another makes you a better reporter. In my opinion, the pool of sport journalists covering the Canadiens in Montreal is bad. It's bad mostly because those medias are catering to the lowest of denominator. In the end, what we get is a coverage of the Canadiens--if you don't do your "job" as audience to prune what's good and what's bad--that resembles Occupation Double or Loft Story.

The good news is, you can stick to what's good if you make the effort. And overall, we are treated to some great people when you think about it. Pierre Houde is--in my opinion--a great commentator. Denis, at his side, is very insightful. Joel Bouchard is also a very smart guy that is great at explaining the technical side of hockey. Matthias Brunet is amazing at covering what's going on elsewhere in the NHL and his blog is great. Apron Baasu is on the same level of quality. MAG is another really good reporter, and for all the crap François Gagnon gets, he's entertaining and he's a good read that never goes into those extreme polarities. I haven't followed Inside/Out in a year or so, but it used to be full of great information as well. I could go on.

My point is this: yeah, the media is full of morons. But you don't have to endure them. Just go for the quality and you'll be treated to a pool of talent that is almost unmatched anywhere in the NHL.

Whenever an idiot like Tremblay comes up with one of those complete over-the-top declarations, the worst thing to do is to give a ****. We shouldn't develop this kind of dynamic. The natural reaction should be "If you are going to talk like that, I'll just ignore you". We will never be rid of this kind of talk if we care for it. We're creating a market for those guys by making them relevant.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
You know how on the main board, people often say that Montreal has the worst fans?

The way we usually defend ourselves is by saying--truthfully--that with the numbers of fans we have, of course we're going to have a larger number of trolls.

It's the same thing here. Of course the French-side of the media has the worst morons. They far outnumber, in total numbers, the number of journalists and commentators on the English side.

The truth is, it bugs me when people make the differentiation between French and English journalists. As if speaking one language or another makes you a better reporter. In my opinion, the pool of sport journalists covering the Canadiens in Montreal is bad. It's bad mostly because those medias are catering to the lowest of denominator. In the end, what we get is a coverage of the Canadiens--if you don't do your "job" as audience to prune what's good and what's bad--that resembles Occupation Double or Loft Story.

The good news is, you can stick to what's good if you make the effort. And overall, we are treated to some great people when you think about it. Pierre Houde is--in my opinion--a great commentator. Denis, at his side, is very insightful. Joel Bouchard is also a very smart guy that is great at explaining the technical side of hockey. Matthias Brunet is amazing at covering what's going on elsewhere in the NHL and his blog is great. Apron Baasu is on the same level of quality. MAG is another really good reporter, and for all the crap François Gagnon gets, he's entertaining and he's a good read that never goes into those extreme polarities. I haven't followed Inside/Out in a year or so, but it used to be full of great information as well. I could go on.

My point is this: yeah, the media is full of morons. But you don't have to endure them. Just go for the quality and you'll be treated to a pool of talent that is almost unmatched anywhere in the NHL.

Whenever an idiot like Tremblay comes up with one of those complete over-the-top declarations, the worst thing to do is to give a ****. We shouldn't develop this kind of dynamic. The natural reaction should be "If you are going to talk like that, I'll just ignore you". We will never be rid of this kind of talk if we care for it. We're creating a market for those guys by making them relevant.
That's pretty much been my reaction. I usually just ignore these guys.

The exception was Jack Todd when he went off on Price. I couldn't let that one go and ranted here. Not that an HF poster ranting has any effect on anything but... it made me feel good.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Not The One

Quote:
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but what on earth makes you think the bolded par is true, relatively speaking. What makes the Habs' journalists worse than those of other sports-mad cities? AFAIK, coverage of teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys, Barca, ManU is even more intense and opinionated than what we have here. Success and popularity create even more interest and passion among the fans and this in turns creates more demand for information.

Those that can't stand the heat should perhaps look into becoming Blue Jackets or Panthers fans.

As for the lowest common denominator... well I'm sorry but sports fans ARE the lowest common denominator. I can't stand listening to radio call-in shows for more than a couple of minutes and if I had to listen to this board instead of reading it, I would have stopped coming here long ago.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Being nice hasn't worked.

At the end of the day, the organization has the right to make some or all of its employees unavailable to yellow journalists and I don't blame them for exercising it.

BTW, Jack Todd is no better. He's a total amateur who would be a really, really bad HF poster. I can't believe he has a job at the Gazette as he should've been fired years ago.

The quality of sports journalism in Montreal is shockingly poor. And it's surprising because you'd think that with the club being as popular as it is they wouldn't need all of the sensationalist crap that they conjure up.
It boggles my mind that the lead English-language sports columnist in the greatest hockey city on planet Earth is a midwestern American who probably never saw a hockey game in his life before he dodged the draft and went to Canada.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but what on earth makes you think the bolded par is true, relatively speaking. What makes the Habs' journalists worse than those of other sports-mad cities? AFAIK, coverage of teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys, Barca, ManU is even more intense and opinionated than what we have here. Success and popularity create even more interest and passion among the fans and this in turns creates more demand for information.

Those that can't stand the heat should perhaps look into becoming Blue Jackets or Panthers fans.

As for the lowest common denominator... well I'm sorry but sports fans ARE the lowest common denominator. I can't stand listening to radio call-in shows for more than a couple of minutes and if I had to listen to this board instead of reading it, I would have stopped coming here long ago.
I wasn't comparing it to other major sports team. In general though, I think that the bad outweighs, or at the very least speaks louder, than the good.

I cannot comment on the Yankees, ManU, etc. My guess is that they're just as bad. I was mostly comparing it to other branches of journalism.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Not The One

Quote:
I wasn't comparing it to other major sports team. In general though, I think that the bad outweighs, or at the very least speaks louder, than the good.

I cannot comment on the Yankees, ManU, etc. My guess is that they're just as bad. I was mostly comparing it to other branches of journalism.
In that case that's going to be true for every single media outlet in every city with a sports team. IMO, sports = lowest common denominator.

Ok, maybe tied with celebrity gossip "news". It's sport for girls.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
In that case that's going to be true for every single media outlet in every city with a sports team. IMO, sports = lowest common denominator.

Ok, maybe tied with celebrity gossip "news". It's sport for girls.
I think I mentioned TMZ above... and that's kind of what the media in Montreal is like.

The other poster who brought up the Sox and Yankees has a point, it's pretty bad over there too. And I'd have to agree that it's every bit as sensational as it is here. Still, I have a hard time believing that the level of journalism is that low over there. The personal level at which our journalists sink to is beyond the pale.

So while the NY and Boston papers may be sensationalistic at least their TMZ is of a higher quality than ours is.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:47 PM
habitue*

The problem:

Too many sports journalists and medias : Not enough sports to cover.

At least in Toronto, they have 4 teams in Major pro leagues. In Montreal and Quebec: ONE !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
It boggles my mind that the lead English-language sports columnist in the greatest hockey city on planet Earth is a midwestern American who probably never saw a hockey game in his life before he dodged the draft and went to Canada.
Todd is the "lead" english language sports columnist? That's news to me...On the totem pole of journalists he's the dirt the pole is planted in. If someone is the "lead" guy, it's Pat Hickey.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Chu français, monsieur l'ignorant. Mais, aussi anglais.

Shocking

That kinda kills your assumptions, huh?
Pogné les culottes à terre?

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote