HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin interview with LaPresse

Old
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's unfortunate that he's not playing, but there's really no use complaining about it right now.

There's no way I see JM playing him over a veteran like Spacek.

When Markov and Campoli comes back, who the hell knows what will happen.
I agree. I love having Spacek in the line-up. I just wish they'd rotate Emelin and Diaz. It's a wonderful "problem" to have, though.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
groovejuice

What about sitting each of Gill, Weber, Emelin, Diaz once in 4 games. That would allow all of them to play 3 of every 4 games. Gill more for rest than anything...

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I agree. I love having Spacek in the line-up. I just wish they'd rotate Emelin and Diaz. It's a wonderful "problem" to have, though.
Agreed. But with Markov and Campoli coming back possibly in December, the hell happens then?

Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Another adjustment he has to make from the KHL is how to use his defense partner. In the KHL, defensemen do not pass to their partner, while here it is extremely common.
????

This sounds crazy.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Hmmpf... Yeah maybe Emelin speaks decent english but doesn't understand, and Kostitsyn can't speak but understands well? So Kostitsyn tells him what the english speaker says and Emelin talks back. I've seen some non-english speaker pairs work like this.
you can't speak decent english if you don't understand but you can understand without speaking though

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
BJG

I can't see Emelin and Markov playing together much at this point in their respective careers. Markov will be getting top pairing minutes, while Emelin will likely be bottom pairing if he's in the lineup. Perhaps in the future, if Emelin progresses up the chart (or if Markov slides to second pairing as he ages) I could see them playing together, but by that point language will hopefully not be much of an issue.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
I can't see Emelin and Markov playing together much at this point in their respective careers. Markov will be getting top pairing minutes, while Emelin will likely be bottom pairing if he's in the lineup. Perhaps in the future, if Emelin progresses up the chart (or if Markov slides to second pairing as he ages) I could see them playing together, but by that point language will hopefully not be much of an issue.
I don't think Markov is going to get top line minutes right away. We tried that last year and Markov got injured a few games in. Markov-Emelin would be a good pairing to give a test run to when Markov comes back. You can bet Emelin will run whoever takes runs at Markov even harder.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I don't think Markov is going to get top line minutes right away. We tried that last year and Markov got injured a few games in. Markov-Emelin would be a good pairing to give a test run to when Markov comes back.
I suspected someone would suggest that. But you're talking about 2 or 3 games at most. That wouldn't be enough time to mentor/communicate with Emelin, much in the way Gill did with PK last year.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Jake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
What about sitting each of Gill, Weber, Emelin, Diaz once in 4 games. That would allow all of them to play 3 of every 4 games. Gill more for rest than anything...

I'd like to see them give this a try
Emelin in vs a physical team
Weber in vs teams w peak PK
Gill in vs teams w strong PP
etc.

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Agreed. But with Markov and Campoli coming back possibly in December, the hell happens then?
I know, it's going to be a cluster****.

I don't want to be a prophet of doom, but odds are, there will always be at least one guy injured. So the depth is going to come in handy.

And maybe at some point, they'll decide to sit Gill out for a game, and whoever replaces him will carve his spot in the line-up for good. Not that I don't like Gill. I think people are overreacting about his recent play. But if a younger player that is part of the future can contribute to the team winning over an aging Gill... Yeah.

I feel bad saying that. Gill has been playing some great hockey for the Habs.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
I suspected someone would suggest that. But you're talking about 2 or 3 games at most. That wouldn't be enough time to mentor/communicate with Emelin, much in the way Gill did with PK last year.
2 to 3 games would be 50% more games than Emelin has played already. It could potentially make a huge difference for Emelin. Emelin has been an all star in another league at this point, and on the international scale. I suspect his learning curve is a great deal smaller than PK going from the AHL to the top pairing in the NHL.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Emelin wasn't brought over to play 15 minutes a night, plus Markov when he has been healthy, usually plays with a guy that compliments his style like Komisarek or O'byrne, that doesn't make either one of those guys a #2 d-man.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
i feel bad for the guy, he better get some time with markov !
I somewhat feel bad for him too. But I feel worse for the Fans. Another reasons I'm not a fan of Martin anymore. You will never get the potential out of a player after 6 games. Last season Gomez struggled and because they are paying him the highest salary on the team he stays on the ice.

Yemelin on the other hand doesn't do so bad in his first few games and then sits.. Like common, he has to get adjusted to the NHL. rotate the bottom 2 at least. Give him some confidence for Pete's sake!? It's not rocket science. Don't get me wrong, Diaz has been doing ok and Webber is alright. But Gill is on his way down and so is Spacek. Who do you want next season? Hall Gill at 37, Spacek at 38 or Yemelin at 26??? He's played most of his career on a large ice surface and always makes team Russia squads. The Talent is there. Don't let it get a way for a lack of foresight.. He can be productive on the score board, is physical, can hit, has dropped the gloves in the KHL and just needs a little adjustment. Don't give him top minutes but please, don't sit him all season to have him go back to Russia for not playing.

Martin

I'll say this much, I don't know who else is in the press box with Yemelin. If there's someone there with him explaining things and showing the NHL system with him in Russian and he's there to see what he needs to work on before going back on the ice it's not that bad. But you still have to play him...

Last edited by Belso: 11-04-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
neofury*

I'd laugh if we flipped Campoli for a 2nd to a desperate team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Why would you laugh? I'd be down for that and I'd be happy if that happened.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
To Columbus!

Old
11-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Please... don't remind me of this.
The signing thread for him is gold. A lot of happy people iirc.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I was so happy. I don't think I've seen a player so frustrating to watch since. So much talent, so little results.

The master of playing with himself.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:33 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Weber, Campoli and a 2nd

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:52 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's unfortunate that he's not playing, but there's really no use complaining about it right now.

There's no way I see JM playing him over a veteran like Spacek.

When Markov and Campoli comes back, who the hell knows what will happen.
Yemelin MUST be patient.

Next year, Gill, Spacek, Campoli, will be gone, even Gorges might go. there will be tons of space on D for him.

It a year of adaptation at every levels for him. I just hope he understands that.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:01 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Emelin wasn't brought over to play 15 minutes a night, plus Markov when he has been healthy, usually plays with a guy that compliments his style like Komisarek or O'byrne, that doesn't make either one of those guys a #2 d-man.
Right. As of now, it looks like he was brought over from the K to sit in the press box. I just can't see how he goes from not cracking a lineup without Markov in it to playing 23 minutes a night on the top pairing.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Take it or leave it, but I read "somewhere" that Emelin was told specifically that he needed to lose weight, because he won't be able to keep it up all season long. This isn't directly the reason why he hasn't played much in the last games (Diaz being surprisingly good is the actual reason) but he'll have trouble staying in JM good graces if he can't shape up.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Just some paraphrasing in English with my below-average background in French

May have screwed some things up but I think it's generally along the same lines.
You did fine. I read French and I know a lttle Russian, but even the awkward Babelfish translation from the French served a purpose. You went a step further and retranslated it into English for readers who couldn't make sense of it at all.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Oh Lord... I would go back and search for this but my 'search' function seems to be on the fritz. I bet it's a classic though.

Somebody posted the Gomez trade thread a couple of weeks ago and it's hilarious to see midway through the thread when McD is announced as being included.

Good times.

BTW, are we still paying that guy? I forget the details of that fiasco.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Oh Lord... I would go back and search for this but my 'search' function seems to be on the fritz. I bet it's a classic though.

Somebody posted the Gomez trade thread a couple of weeks ago and it's hilarious to see midway through the thread when McD is announced as being included.

Good times.

BTW, are we still paying that guy? I forget the details of that fiasco.
The trade looks particularly rotten because not only is McDonagh excelling for thr Rangers but Higgins is leading the Canucks in goals and is two ahead of Pacioretty.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote