HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letestu

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
I can see Letestu sent off for an NHL ready D-man who's not gonna be subject to waivers. Michalek, Lovejoy and I'm sure more to come is depleting their strength.

Even if they bring someone up they need to replace a roster spot somewhere.

Defenseman is where I'd put my money.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
They could get a decent bottom6 player for Letestu. He doesn't have many points so far, but there are many teams who could use a center that can win some faceoffs.
Do we really need another one of those though?

I really don't see us getting anything more than maybe a 5th round pick for Letestu, which is what I'd prefer rather than another bottom 6th grinder.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Sideline

I wonder if Shero would package Letestu and Bortuzzo? That might be sufficient to pick up a rental #5 defenceman.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I wonder if Shero would package Letestu and Bortuzzo? That might be sufficient to pick up a rental #5 defenceman.
Zanon possibly?

Old
11-04-2011, 01:39 PM
wej20

Quote:
I think it's too early to pick up a rental dman though.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
regard

Especially depending on thier cap hit.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
JTG

I am kind of curious what Shero is going to do with Strait and Bortuzzo. Aren't they both waiver eligible next season?

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
They can't afford to send D-man out right now and they're soon to be in fluxed with about 3 forwards.

Letestu for D-man named _______?

Picard can be sent back down.

Oh, and Dan better start dressing 7 D-man and not short changing themselves on long road trips.

Old
cassius

Letestu's value has fallen big time - if Shero was going to trade him, he squandered a big opportunity this summer.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:44 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I asked in another thread, what is our cap space going to be when we're healthy again?

I remember us being between 1-1.5 million to start the season, now we're somewhere around 250k with guys in and out of the lineup.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I am kind of curious what Shero is going to do with Strait and Bortuzzo. Aren't they both waiver eligible next season?
Yeah, I think we all are. There's just not enough room for all these D-Men. A few will obviously have to go. It will be interesting to see which ones get moved though.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I think we all are. There's just not enough room for all these D-Men. A few will obviously have to go. It will be interesting to see which ones though.
Yeah. I mean...I see Despres as the guy taking over for Niskanen, and if Strait or Bortuzzo do get that spot, they would probably be a placeholder, unless Shero is just going to let Despres be in the AHL until he hits waiver eligibility, and he's then forced to make a decision.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
Zanon possibly?
He'd be a nice piece. I know Fletcher loves ex Penguins, but Minnesota is thin on the blue line and I don't know if they'd move him this soon.

Quote:
If the right guy is available now I wouldn't bother waiting. The only other possible hole in a healthy Penguins lineup is a top 9 RW and frankly I don't think it's a terribly big hole. Sid set the league on fire with Kunitz and Dupuis, Sullivan-Malkin-Neal looks unstoppable as a first line (imagine them get weaker match ups), Cooke-Staal-Kennedy is a proven winner, and the Penguins have a plethora of 4th line options.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
wej20

Quote:
He'd be a nice piece. I know Fletcher loves ex Penguins, but Minnesota is thin on the blue line and I don't know if they'd move him this soon.

If the right guy is available now I wouldn't bother waiting. The only other possible hole in a healthy Penguins lineup is a top 9 RW and frankly I don't think it's a terribly big hole. Sid set the league on fire with Kunitz and Dupuis, Sullivan-Malkin-Neal looks unstoppable as a first line (imagine them get weaker match ups), Cooke-Staal-Kennedy is a proven winner, and the Penguins have a plethora of 4th line options.
most teams aren't going to be selling yet though as it's too early to be completely out of the playoff race.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
JTG

I think it'd also like to get some clarity throughout this season. Our blueline very well may be set. What if we trade for a defenseman now that we don't need, and when the deadline comes, we actually need a winger and no space to do it.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Sideline

Quote:
most teams aren't going to be selling yet though as it's too early to be completely out of the playoff race.
I'm think of this being more of a hockey trade with someone like Bortuzzo being the sweetener needed to make up the difference between Letestu and a capable #5 defenceman. Think Goligoski for Neal+Niskanen on a smaller scale.

Quote:
I think it'd also like to get some clarity throughout this season. Our blueline very well may be set. What if we trade for a defenseman now that we don't need, and when the deadline comes, we actually need a winger and no space to do it.
If the blue somehow becomes overstuffed by the deadline that's a good thing. The price of defencemen only goes up as the year progresses so flipping Niskanen or Lovejoy wouldn't be a problem. And in the event someone like Kunitz has a season ending injury the LTIR space solves any cap issues.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Picking up a .500 to .700 D-man isn't gonna break the cookie jar.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Picking up a .500 to .700 D-man isn't gonna break the cookie jar.
At this stage int he game it's a lot more salary to take on when we're right up against it as it is. It's not like the deadline where we'd be taking on like 50 grand for a defenseman making that much.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
If Letestu is the odd man out -- and it's looking like he is -- when everyone returns, hopefully Shero can swing some kind of deal for him, instead of just losing him to waivers. Even if it's a B-level prospect who isn't waiver eligible yet, or a mid round draft pick in this upcoming draft.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
At this stage int he game it's a lot more salary to take on when we're right up against it as it is. It's not like the deadline where we'd be taking on like 50 grand for a defenseman making that much.
They'll be losing Letestu's salary and another in due time. They just need to get healthy.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Why would anybody want a center that has exactly 1 assist in 11 games played this season and is -6? Who could possibly be that desperate??
This. He'd be picked up on waivers for sure. But on his one-way he'll be a tough sell to make a team actually give up even a depth roster player. He has little to no value right now.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:40 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!
A disappointment to you perhaps, I don't think you'll find too many who were disappointed with last years performance.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:51 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

I could see the issue with bringing in a dman out of free agency. Extra body, extra salary, etc.

The Pens could be moving out salary (Letestu) when trading for a depth dman. Even if the Pens were to add salary, the amount could be very little. Again, we'd either be shedding salary (draft pick) or barely taking any on.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:40 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Bortuzzo is a potential top-4 defenseman in the NHL as soon as next season. If he's traded, it will be for a young player of similar value -- not a rental player.

Remember: 2 years ago at the deadline (when we got Leopold & Poni), Bortuzzo was conidered "untouchable" at the time. Not untouchable in terms of he won't ever be traded, but in the sense that he's too good a prospect to be moved for a rental player. Since that time, all he has done is improved his stock.

I don't know why people still think we need to upgrade our defense, when healthy. Lovejoy will get traded before Bortuzzo, but I don't think that happens till after this season.

Old
11-04-2011, 05:19 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Strait, at the same age, is leap years ahead of where Rob Scuderi was. I wouldn't say he's reached his ceiling yet (even if he doesn't continue to improve as much as Scuderi did).
Hes absolutely leap years ahead of where Scuderi was but Scuderi is more the exception than the rule. Peaking as a 30 year old, even as a defenseman is not normal. I just don't find him as anything more than a solid 3rd pairing defenseman. I made the statement more because I was talking about a guy who has little upside who can't get claimed on waivers.

Closed Thread