HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Visiting Ottawa and CTC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2011, 07:48 AM
  #176
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smity1993 View Post
Quick question. Are there buses that travel from Downtown Ottawa into Quebec and vice versa? The reason I need to know is I am a cheap university student looking for some cheap beer, and I'm to lazy to walk from the uOttawa campus into Hull.
Beyond piece-of-crap depanneurs, there really aren't a lot of places in downtown Hull that are good for picking up beer. You could go to the Maxi at the corner of Saint-Joseph and Montclair - probably the cheapest beer among grocery stores. From Rideau Street take STO routes 31, 33, 36, 37, or 38. Fare is $3.40.

For plain, good ol' booze there's a small SAQ store in downtown Hull at the corner of Promenade du Portage and Rue Laval. I'm pretty sure you can just stand on Rideau Street and take whatever bus shows up first and it'll take you there.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
  #177
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,733
vCash: 500
Going to the Pearl Jam concert tomorrow night - can anyone tell me how early the parking lots (specifically Lot 5) open up. I want to show up early to grab a spot in there so we can escape more easily at the end of the night.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:10 PM
  #178
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
Hi guys,

i'm going to stay in Ottawa two nights in mid October (going to the game vs the Avs!) but i have yet to book an accommodation for me and my girlfriend.

It's my first time in town (travelling from Europe), so i would need advice about which area of the city and place i should look for..

safe and cheap are two important factors..

thanks for any help!

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:21 AM
  #179
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Hi guys,

i'm going to stay in Ottawa two nights in mid October (going to the game vs the Avs!) but i have yet to book an accommodation for me and my girlfriend.

It's my first time in town (travelling from Europe), so i would need advice about which area of the city and place i should look for..

safe and cheap are two important factors..

thanks for any help!
Stay out of Vanier.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:58 AM
  #180
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Stay out of Vanier.
ehm.. which is to say.. out of the zone along Vanier parkway?

thx btw!

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
  #181
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
ehm.. which is to say.. out of the zone along Vanier parkway?

thx btw!
Haha, that was terrible advice from me. Vanier is just frequently hyped to be a place "where you don't want to be at night".

In all seriousness, I would see if there are any deals on hotels downtown. Even if it means taking longer to the game, you want to be downtown for the rest of the time your not at the game.

If you stay in Kanata (closest to the SBP), than you can get to the game quickly, but you're going to be having to go into the city to do anything else, which is where everything (other than the SBP) pretty much is.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
  #182
Golden
Börk Börk Börk
 
Golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,689
vCash: 375
helicecopter, I'd recommend that you stay in the downtown core where you can be near the tourist hub - the Market, Elgin St. etc. Like Manked said, although a Kanata hotel would be closer, unless you're a big fan of the suburbs, there's not much to do in the area.

In terms of being the hub of downtown, Novotel hotel, the Westin, Lord Elgin, ARC hotel, The Courtyard and the Mariott hotel, are a few places you could look into. For more hotels and reviews, take a look at the Trip Advisor site.

With any of these hotels you can get on the main transitway (public bus) and take a 400 series bus to SBP. It's about a 45 minute ride for a few bucks. Ask your concierge and they'll map it out for you.

In terms of areas, some people think parts of Rideau St. can be a bit sketch and there are a couple homeless shelters in the area but Ottawa's a pretty safe city so there aren't too many places you need to stay clear of.


Last edited by Golden: 09-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
  #183
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Haha, that was terrible advice from me. Vanier is just frequently hyped to be a place "where you don't want to be at night".

In all seriousness, I would see if there are any deals on hotels downtown. Even if it means taking longer to the game, you want to be downtown for the rest of the time your not at the game.

If you stay in Kanata (closest to the SBP), than you can get to the game quickly, but you're going to be having to go into the city to do anything else, which is where everything (other than the SBP) pretty much is.
Thats really not true there is plenty to do in kanata and area now if your young and want to be near sparks street of course downtown is your best bet but the idea there is nothing to do in kanata is false.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:59 AM
  #184
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Thats really not true there is plenty to do in kanata and area now if your young and want to be near sparks street of course downtown is your best bet but the idea there is nothing to do in kanata is false.
I essentially live in Kanata, and for a tourist, I can tell you that Downtown is a lot better than Kanata (FOR TOURISTS).

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
  #185
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
thx guys, we're indeed looking for an accomodation in downtown, maybe a b&b to limit the costs..

leaving tonight for Washington, looking forward to Sens game vs the Avs!

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
  #186
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Hi. I just bought some tickets on stubhub to the Ottawa/Nashville game in February and they have Mike Fisher on them.. Is this what is on the regular season tickets? Just seemed a little strange.

Also it seems from reading in here that the best way to get to the arena from downtown is bus, not cab, is that right?

Thanks

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:59 PM
  #187
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,558
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Hi. I just bought some tickets on stubhub to the Ottawa/Nashville game in February and they have Mike Fisher on them.. Is this what is on the regular season tickets? Just seemed a little strange.

Also it seems from reading in here that the best way to get to the arena from downtown is bus, not cab, is that right?

Thanks
Fisher is on the ticket because it's our 20th anniversary tickets. As for getting to the game from downtown, take the bus (any 400 series- you can look it up on octranspo.com travel planner). Cab will cost you a lot to get to Kanata and bus gets there rather quickly (max 45 min ).

Edit: It would probably cost you 100$ (50$ each way) total to get to the game and back in a cab.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  #188
Reim Job
Registered User
 
Reim Job's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Hey Sens fans,

A few friends and myself are heading to Ottawa for the March 16th game against the Habs and the 17th against the Leafs. The 17th happens to be St. Patty's day and we want to go out and celebrate after. Would we find some good places in Kanata, or should we stay in a hotel downtown and take these shuttle buses to the game? I'm worried about the bus getting back downtown pretty late after the game, thus minimizing our St. Patty's drinking time.

Edit: Also, do you know if SBP gives arena tours during the day?

Reim Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
  #189
Dean Vernon
Registered User
 
Dean Vernon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Anyone know of a bar downtown other than lieutenant's pump that does a shuttle bus to games?

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:54 PM
  #190
v-man
Registered User
 
v-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Vernon View Post
Anyone know of a bar downtown other than lieutenant's pump that does a shuttle bus to games?
Nope, but MVP offers a dinner, ticket and bus package for certain games

EDIT: never mind, just noticed that's last years schedule. Not sure if they're doing to same this season.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
  #191
Pancakes Pancakes
Registered User
 
Pancakes Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cattawa
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reim Job View Post
Hey Sens fans,

A few friends and myself are heading to Ottawa for the March 16th game against the Habs and the 17th against the Leafs. The 17th happens to be St. Patty's day and we want to go out and celebrate after. Would we find some good places in Kanata, or should we stay in a hotel downtown and take these shuttle buses to the game? I'm worried about the bus getting back downtown pretty late after the game, thus minimizing our St. Patty's drinking time.

Edit: Also, do you know if SBP gives arena tours during the day?
If you want to party on St Patty's Day, then downtown on the market is your best bet, there are many pubs and bars. Bars will be open until 2am and busses will likely be back downtown by no later than 11pm if I had to guess. You want more drinking time than that?

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
  #192
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Hey everyone, Flyers fan here coming up for the game on January 8th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to stay and good local places to have some drinks before and after the game? Any info would help, I have been looking online, but would like to know from people that are in that area first hand.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
  #193
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Hey everyone, Flyers fan here coming up for the game on January 8th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to stay and good local places to have some drinks before and after the game? Any info would help, I have been looking online, but would like to know from people that are in that area first hand.
If you want to experience the real Ottawa, stay downtown and not in Kanata (where the ScotiaBank Place is). As per Drinks, Ottawa doesn't really have an official sports bar.

Unlike some here, I don't think the bar (Bert's) at the arena is all that bad, but you have to show up quite a bit early to get a seat. I like going to Frank Finnigan's at the Arena after, because they (at least they used to) do the post game show there.

_______________

My recommendation though would to go to Moxie's or Jack Astor's before the game. It's about a 5 minute drive from the arena. Moxie's is a higher quality hooters (not really), and Jack Astor's has good food and environment, but is not a good place to actually watch the game.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
  #194
v-man
Registered User
 
v-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Hey everyone, Flyers fan here coming up for the game on January 8th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to stay and good local places to have some drinks before and after the game? Any info would help, I have been looking online, but would like to know from people that are in that area first hand.
In regards to where to stay, just use Hotwire.com and pick any three star place downtown (not east Ottawa). I've yet to be disappointed by a place yet. Les Suites was particularly accommodating to a large group of us hockey fans during the world juniors a few years back, so I usually give them my business when their regular rates are decent (looks like they have $99 rooms with full kitchens available for when you'll be there). Everything from the Parliament Buildings to the Byward Market (main bar/party stretch downtown) is within a five minute walk from there. Like SeanMonahan said, all the sites and action are in downtown Ottawa. There's not much to do in Kanata outside of shopping and going to Sens games, so it's best to stay there.

As for before the game, I stopped off at D'Arcy McGees in Kanata for some food and drinks before the last game I went to, which is about a four or five minute drive from the arena. Very decent menu and it looks like they have drink specials from 1PM on on Sundays. The staff are also very friendly and attentive. The Moxie's off the same street, but further north on the other side of the 417 is also very good for decently priced casual food and waitresses that are "easy on the eyes".

After the game, considering you're going on a Sunday, it's going to be pretty dead everywhere, so you may as well just explorer around whatever hotel you stay at.


Last edited by v-man: 12-12-2011 at 05:36 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:12 PM
  #195
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Thank you very much everyone for the info, and I hope its a fun and competitive game when we come up to visit the your great country for the first time!!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
  #196
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,308
vCash: 769
Another Flyers fan who will be at the game Jan 8th. I love Ottawa! Pretty excited just to go to the city

I'll definitely be heading to Tila Tequila's!...i kid, i kid

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
  #197
TheFloyd
Registered User
 
TheFloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Hey guys!

I live 1 hour east from Ottawa and I'm going to the Devil games January 2nd. I got a U-Pass and I was wondering what's the best way to get to the ScotiaBankPlace, drive to Orleans and then take the bus or drive directly to ScotiaBankPlace

TheFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:27 PM
  #198
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFloyd View Post
Hey guys!

I live 1 hour east from Ottawa and I'm going to the Devil games January 2nd. I got a U-Pass and I was wondering what's the best way to get to the ScotiaBankPlace, drive to Orleans and then take the bus or drive directly to ScotiaBankPlace
Bus is way more convenient and less stressful, I'd recommend that. 405 comes about an hour before game time to Trim Station, look at OC Transpo's website for exact times.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
  #199
TheFloyd
Registered User
 
TheFloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Bus is way more convenient and less stressful, I'd recommend that. 405 comes about an hour before game time to Trim Station, look at OC Transpo's website for exact times.
Thanks, I'll check that!

TheFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:04 AM
  #200
Tom24
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Devils fan here, driving down from northern Ontario to see them play in Ottawa. Was wondering if any of you know in wich hotel they stay thanks.

Tom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.