HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Craig Smith makes the Opening Night Roster

Old
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
roseyc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Where?
I have been dying to see
It was channel 2 sports sat night it was the only goal they showed

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Smith will score 5 goals in his first 7 games then get sent to Milwaukee because he doesn't play Defense.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I haven't seen Smith play... Just using stat comparisons, Joe Pavlaski is our "best hope" scenario for Smith. He scored 56 points in 43 games for Wisconsin as a 21/22 year old. Smith scored 43 in 41 the same age.

Most NHL "scorers" who played college hockey absolutely lit up the college scene as a Freshman/Sophomore. Healtley scored 56p in the 38g as a freshman. Kessel scored 51 in 39 as a freshman. St. Louis scored 71 points in 35 games as sophomore (and yes, went undrafted).

Just statistically speaking, it would be a surprise if he turned in a decent NHL scorer based on his college stats as a 22 year old. But let's hope he becomes an exception to the rule... gawd knows we need it.
OK, I think we are seeing different definitions of the term "scorer". Heatley and St. Louis IMO are "elite offensive players" in the league. Kessel hasn't quite earned that status IMO, but should still be considered a "star offensive player".

I view Joe Pavelski as a "top-six scoring line forward" and that's the same role I'd like to see Craig Smith develop into. Pavelski is a guy that will likely hit 30 goals a couple of times in his career, but is going to put up consistent 25 goal, 60+ point seasons playing in San Jose's top-six.

Neither is an elite talent, but both have the potential to be among the scoring leaders of their teams each season. That's what my long-term expectation for Craig Smith is. Same for Colin Wilson, although Wilson is more of a pass first guy whereas Smith is definitely a shoot first, ask questions later player...

Radulov was the closest thing we've ever had to a Heatley/St. Louis elite type of offensive weapon...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I view Joe Pavelski as a "top-six scoring line forward" and that's the same role I'd like to see Craig Smith develop into. Pavelski is a guy that will likely hit 30 goals a couple of times in his career, but is going to put up consistent 25 goal, 60+ point seasons playing in San Jose's top-six.
Like I said, on stats alone, Pavelski is the best hope comparison.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Like I said, on stats alone, Pavelski is the best hope comparison.
For a guy most of us hadn't even heard of before the skate of the union I'd take that in a heartbeat

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Overall, I see Wilson and Smith being Pavelski like players at their maxed out potential. I think Wilson will be a 50-60 point guy and Smith being in the same neighborhood.

I would be thrilled if Smith had 35 points this season. Not expecting anything more than that.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:27 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

What's with Paveslki obsession?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
he's the closest comparable for smith, in terms of style of play and eventual upside.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
What's with Paveslki comparisons?
I think that's what you meant, and Pavs had similar numbers in college, plays a similar game to Smith, and just has a name that's you can't resist saying over and over again

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Maybe it is because both went to the University of Wisconsin, both have similar games, and the "next Pavalski" started in Madison and has traveled to Nashville.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
...and just has a name that's you can't resist saying over and over again
What, Joe?

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I personally think Smith has more upside (not much) than Pavs. At least I hope. I've been following him of late...Im really intrigued..it's kinda creepy. IMO he get 50 pts this year and makes a real impact on the PP.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

andystrickland Andy Strickland
by sniperscup
Nashville Predators have told Craig Smith to get a place which means he's been elevated to full-time NHL status. #Preds

Old
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
What, Joe?
Naa... Smith and Pavelski are both names that just roll off the tongue, right?

Quote:
I personally think Smith has more upside (not much) than Pavs. At least I hope. I've been following him of late...Im really intrigued..it's kinda creepy. IMO he get 50 pts this year and makes a real impact on the PP.
I hope you are right. The 50 pts would be nice, but him having an impact on the PP would be even better.

Quote:
andystrickland Andy Strickland
by sniperscup
Nashville Predators have told Craig Smith to get a place which means he's been elevated to full-time NHL status. #Preds
Good news. I think a lot of folks were expecting him to stay up on the big club. I just hope he can continue playing well.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
hatedandproud

Did any of you see where Ed Olczyk picked Mr. Smith here to win the Calder this year?

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:13 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Craig Smith reminds me more of Couture than Pavelski.

Anyhow, I'm happy he's made the team and I hope he contributes. 20/20 isn't out of the question the way he's playing.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
Did any of you see where Ed Olczyk picked Mr. Smith here to win the Calder this year?
I did

I def see Smith more as a Couture than a Pavelski. I think he has more upside as well. The way he plays and his IQ shows me that he has all the tools to be a PPG player or close to it.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Patkane

A Hawks fan here. I have to say that I just love this kid Smith. He reminds me a lot of my favourite player Jack Skille, even though Smith has a better scoring touch than Skille.

Smith is the real deal. My congratulations.

Last edited by Patkane: 11-04-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Patkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
naihlflames

I've been visiting your board and posting positives about Smith even before the season started and said he could be a serious Calder candidate. After you won the first 2 games with him on the top line and then went in a slump with him not on the top line, I stated it was not a coincidence and he needed to go back into your top 6.

Right now he is #2 on your team in scoring and the only player ahead of him has 5 minutes more of icetime per game. Even more importantly he is tied for the lead in shots and is a real creator on the ice. All that being said and with your team getting healthy, I saw/heard he got bumped down to the 3rd line last night. imo, that is a huge mistake.

The Preds have always been known for being good defensively and in net, but offense has been a challenge. With your team getting healthy again at forward, with Smith in your top 6 I think you can put together 2 fairly decent offensive lines and be a contender out West.

I know your coach is stubborn with the rookies. Will Smith get put back on the top 6?

Comments from Pred nation ........

Old
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
I've been visiting your board and posting positives about Smith even before the season started and said he could be a serious Calder candidate. After you won the first 2 games with him on the top line and then went in a slump with him not on the top line, I stated it was not a coincidence and he needed to go back into your top 6.

Right now he is #2 on your team in scoring and the only player ahead of him has 5 minutes more of icetime per game. Even more importantly he is tied for the lead in shots and is a real creator on the ice. All that being said and with your team getting healthy, I saw/heard he got bumped down to the 3rd line last night. imo, that is a huge mistake.

The Preds have always been known for being good defensively and in net, but offense has been a challenge. With your team getting healthy again at forward, with Smith in your top 6 I think you can put together 2 fairly decent offensive lines and be a contender out West.

I know your coach is stubborn with the rookies. Will Smith get put back on the top 6?

Comments from Pred nation ........
Like I posted before, I truly believe that Trotz is protecting his minutes because Smth has never played a pro schedule and is not used to the grind of an 82 game regular season plus playoffs.

We've seen countless college players hit the proverbial wall and totally fall of at the end of the season.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
jlsg

That, and Trotz will change line combos based on who we're playing, especially with the young guys. I wouldn't be shocked to see the SK, Fish, Smith line again. But I think they have to have the right matchups to make use of it.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

If he continues to tear it up, Trotz will have no choice but to bump him up...really the guy should be on the top line..not top 6.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If he continues to tear it up, Trotz will have no choice but to bump him up...really the guy should be on the top line..not top 6.
SK Fish Smith would be the top line.

Smith isn't going to get Legwand minutes. Legwand is a top penalty killer, top shutdown defensive center and is used some on the powerplay, same as Fisher.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

mind the gap, do you happen to have Smith on a fantasy team or know him somehow? I'm not trying to imply that you're being unfair, but you certainly do seem to be his most vocal advocate outside of Predland

Old
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
To me a good team needs a solid Line 1a and 1b to contend. Him on a "2'nd line" or top 6 can help create a solid line 1b.