HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I am embarrassed to be an Islander fan at a home game

Old
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
This post is pure, unadulterated BS. The team plays differently with DP in net because they HAVE TO. They always have. DP strolls, leaves gaping holes and causes panic on the defense. Wanna watch where the low winger is on DP starts vs. Nabby or Monty starts? How crowded the crease is on DP starts vs. Nabby or Monty starts?

DP brings the unknown every start. He didn't for a bit years back in his 1.5 good seasons, but he's bringing it again this year.

So....if the team plays back more, is hesitant to leave the D zone on a rush (in case there is a turnover) so the offense can take charge, we score less. I dare you to watch some DP games and Monty games and tell me the D is not more comfortable/less hesitant to evacuate the crease and take the body.

DP makes the game harder for his D. Period. Last night he did swell, but his wandering and lack of coverage of the net was a worry our defense and forwards alike DID NOT NEED.

Disagree if you want.....I'll file it in the "DP is a top ten goalie" file I have tucked away.
^^^THIS and its been going on for years now!!!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
We don't win with him in net. We win with Monty in net, need any more reason? WTF?
He's an easy target, I know Ive been watching this team for 3 decades and the fanbase seems to have built up almost more hatred for him then they had with Yashin.

Teams have ups and downs. We're on the down right now and its not because of goaltending. Whether it was Nabby or DP playing for the last stretch. The offense is not gelling as it did during the last half of 10/11.

Im a big fan of Montoya, but put him in last night and we still lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I'm sorry but in the two games he played, he was far from the problem. How about scoring some ****ing goals? Or is that too much to ask of this 'great' offense?
+1

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
He's an easy target, I know Ive been watching this team for 3 decades and the fanbase seems to have built up almost more hatred for him then they had with Yashin.

Teams have ups and downs. We're on the down right now and its not because of goaltending. Whether it was Nabby or DP playing for the last stretch. The offense is not gelling as it did during the last half of 10/11.

Im a big fan of Montoya, but put him in last night and we still lose.
How do you know that? The team responds differently with him in net, we have won games with Montoya and Nabby. How can you argue with results?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
How do you know that? The team responds differently with him in net, we have won games with Montoya and Nabby. How can you argue with results?
Because it is most likely more of a coincidence than anything.

Also, Montoya was in net opening night... SHUTOUT! Montoya or Nabby (forgot) were in net for the Florida trip... 2 more losses. Both losses against the Pens? Nabby.

Point being, bad teams are bad. Doesn't matter who is in net. If a team scores 18 goals in 10 games, I don't care if Patrick Roy is in net. Won't. Mean. ****.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Wait, where was this weak goal?

A great play by Kane and a tip in from his own defenseman...

I'm not a DiPietro fan but he was fine last night and made the saves he needed to. I don't care about the muffed saves or rebounds. They didn't go for goals. You can't blame him for either of the two goals last night.

It wasn't a weak goal, but how about a "wow" save there? We see too many other goalies come up with amazing stops. Rarely does DP make the highlight reel in a good way.

That said, he has not been the problem so far. Can't win if you don't score. How many shots missed the net yesterday? How many passes were just off the mark? Nino and Strome can't get here soon enough.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Evgeni Nabokov has FOUR career starts as an Islander. He won one and left another game injured. Yet we're talking about him like he's Billy Smith.

PJGooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Evgeni Nabokov has FOUR career starts as an Islander. He won one and left another game injured. Yet we're talking about him like he's Billy Smith.
Not Billy Smith, but under Capuano we've never riden the hot goaltender. Monty is playing well, Nabby gets the unexplained start against the Rag$, Nabby (playing well) goes down with an injury don't go back to Monty, play DP

Old
11-04-2011, 03:33 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Yes the results. How could I forget, 12 games in and you have the perfect assessment in place on how the team performs and under what conditions they will respond best.

Its amazing this team had to look further than HF in search of a coach over the last decade.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
It wasn't a weak goal, but how about a "wow" save there? We see too many other goalies come up with amazing stops. Rarely does DP make the highlight reel in a good way.

That said, he has not been the problem so far. Can't win if you don't score. How many shots missed the net yesterday? How many passes were just off the mark? Nino and Strome can't get here soon enough.
A wow save? Are you kidding me? He stopped Kane's first two shots. It's not his fault his 2 defensemen and a forward stood there with their thumbs up their ***** allowing him to get his own rebound.

The DiPietro bashing in this thread is completely asinine and misplaced.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
A wow save? Are you kidding me? He stopped Kane's first two shots. It's not his fault his 2 defensemen and a forward stood there with their thumbs up their ***** allowing him to get his own rebound.

The DiPietro bashing in this thread is completely asinine and misplaced.
Not blaming DP for the goal but on the telecast Howie or Butch said the first shot of the game went in for the second straight game

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Not blaming DP for the goal but on the telecast Howie or Butch said the first shot of the game went in for the second straight game
And looking at the game log, it's the second shot of the game.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020168

Kane doesn't get a second shot off if Hamonic, MacDonald, or Comeau put him on his backside instead of letting him bat away.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I'm embarrassed to be an Islanders fan, period.

This organization is a sinkhole. Like I said, we are force fed all this crap and we never do anything. We are the proudest fans in sports and we would do anything to do watch a competitive team.

But, it's not going to happen. The arena issue has tied Wangs hands, so he has this puppet GM guy not allowed to spend any money but troll the media once a year with signs of optimism, but the fact is: Without the arena issue settled and a solid future for Wang, he won't spend money.

It's about time we start seeing it for what it is, and maybe this inevitable 20 game losing streak will be just what the doctor ordered.

No more hiding behind fake lies to the media, etc. Now Wang can really deal with attendance issues, and if he's fine with that, cool. What do we care?

Let this team leave come 2015. This is not a team proud LIers should be supporting. This is garbage, from the top to the bottom. Poor Tavares, he was fooled with us all.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
And looking at the game log, it's the second shot of the game.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020168

Kane doesn't get a second shot off if Hamonic, MacDonald, or Comeau put him on his backside instead of letting him bat away.
Agreed that goal was on the defense and not DP. Most of the time DP deserves blame but so far in the 2011-2012 he does not.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
StrongIslanders90

ITs crazy but imo DP was the only positive from that game.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Fruitbasket
I make crap posts.

Never be embarrassed to be an Islander fan.

I know I am late, and I know no one will read this post But I am sick and tired of everyone whining and crying and all this ********. So what if we lose a couple of game, So what if everything never goes are way. The New York Islander's have no more true fan's because no one can understand that you have to go through the **** before you get the gold. My god, every time we win or lose someone, somewhere is always like "Played like ****". Plus it would not be the New York Islander's if it wasn't this way. We have gone through some hard times, and we will still go through hard times. Not every teams ****ing hockey season is painted in gold.

I love that the Islander's are not perfect. I love that we have are up's and down's. Never ever be embarrassed to support your team. People at the games are really dumb for chanting boo's and "We Suck". Either way WHEN we win the cup it will be the greatest moment ever in our eye's because we all stuck through it together.

A season has 82 game's and we have played 10. It's not the end of the world, so stop treating it like it is.

Let's Go Islanders.

Fruitbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
West Coast Isles Fan

DP has played pretty well, but allowing a goal on the first shot in back to back games has been a little demoralizing. When we are down 1-0 within 30 seconds of the first period, it does take the wind out of the sails a bit. He recovered nicely both games, but first goals are VERY important.

West Coast Isles Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbasket View Post

I know I am late, and I know no one will read this post But I am sick and tired of everyone whining and crying and all this ********. So what if we lose a couple of game, So what if everything never goes are way. The New York Islander's have no more true fan's because no one can understand that you have to go through the **** before you get the gold. My god, every time we win or lose someone, somewhere is always like "Played like ****". Plus it would not be the New York Islander's if it wasn't this way. We have gone through some hard times, and we will still go through hard times. Not every teams ****ing hockey season is painted in gold.

I love that the Islander's are not perfect. I love that we have are up's and down's. Never ever be embarrassed to support your team. People at the games are really dumb for chanting boo's and "We Suck". Either way WHEN we win the cup it will be the greatest moment ever in our eye's because we all stuck through it together.

A season has 82 game's and we have played 10. It's not the end of the world, so stop treating it like it is.

Let's Go Islanders.
You must've stopped watching hockey after the summer of '93 lol. All kidding aside, we've all stuck through the crap, hell it's a miracle we all still pay to watch this team after the 90's, but be real, when's the last time we had something positive to cheer about? Dubi's poke-check?

I'm not ashamed of loving the Isles, I'm ashamed of the inept management and the numskull decisions we've made. All the embarrassing actions of people who are not qualified of running a team. When you surround yourself with class in your organization your going to get a team that projects class. I see us moving in that direction, but it's like were always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not in line with the people on this board who panic only ten games into the season, but I am in line with people who mention that this bares a scary resemblance to last season's 20 game skid. Is it wrong for a paying customer to demand a good product? Which in this case is an entertaining on ice product that is at least in contention to the last weeks of the season.

If you ask me I think that's the bear minimum we should ask for. This team needs to win when it counts, we know the talent is there, we've seen it! Now it's time to hold coaching/management accountable for either not giving that talent the opportunity to perform when it counts or not making them perform when it counts. Either way it's not acceptable.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:15 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Just out of curiosity.. are your tickets in row F, seat 8 in section 201??
I'm about 5'7", 160.... and no, I haven't spent (errr.... wasted) my money on a game in about 5 years and won't until I see this team start to invest in themselves.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.
There is a good chance that the group you are talking about was me and my buds. We were sitting in section 331 and before you judge my group, I would like to explain that we got these tickets for sponsoring a youth hockey league. Half the guys with me were Rangers fans who had been drinking a ton before the game so of course they are going to chant DP sucks. We pay good money to see this team play. If the team isn't going to go out and put the effort on the ice, we are going to try and enjoy ourselves at the game. Why sit there and be miserable? So we knew DP was playing fantastic, but we were going to enjoy ourselves and shout "DP!" every time he made a save. How can you blame us for chanting we suck? We haven't been close to winning a playoff round in forever and I have spent over $200 this season to see them score 0 goals (3 games)! Can you blame us for chanting we suck? Also just to make things clear I was chanting we suck last night. However, I still think we will make the playoffs this year. I believe they are going to turn it around, but at this current moment they suck. They haven't shown anything on the ice. I believe they will turn it around. And what you forgot to mention was how all game long me and my Islanders buddies were constantly chanting "LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!" when no one else was.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Yes the results. How could I forget, 12 games in and you have the perfect assessment in place on how the team performs and under what conditions they will respond best.

Its amazing this team had to look further than HF in search of a coach over the last decade.
Any one of us would have been better than Steve Sterling or Rick Bowness

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Fruitbasket
I make crap posts.

Quote:
You must've stopped watching hockey after the summer of '93 lol. All kidding aside, we've all stuck through the crap, hell it's a miracle we all still pay to watch this team after the 90's, but be real, when's the last time we had something positive to cheer about? Dubi's poke-check?

I'm not ashamed of loving the Isles, I'm ashamed of the inept management and the numskull decisions we've made. All the embarrassing actions of people who are not qualified of running a team. When you surround yourself with class in your organization your going to get a team that projects class. I see us moving in that direction, but it's like were always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not in line with the people on this board who panic only ten games into the season, but I am in line with people who mention that this bares a scary resemblance to last season's 20 game skid. Is it wrong for a paying customer to demand a good product? Which in this case is an entertaining on ice product that is at least in contention to the last weeks of the season.

If you ask me I think that's the bear minimum we should ask for. This team needs to win when it counts, we know the talent is there, we've seen it! Now it's time to hold coaching/management accountable for either not giving that talent the opportunity to perform when it counts or not making them perform when it counts. Either way it's not acceptable.
A better response to my post then I would have ever thought.

I understand that with are situation it's hard to avoid the 99% of wrong thing's that we do and focus on the 1% of thing's that we do right (Which is make sure Wang's son has hot dog's on the spot.) But I am just fed up with the amount of whining and bickering I see everywhere from Islander fan's, were coming up to the 11th game and it's gone from "Oh PA is a bad player" too stuff like "My ****ing seat in the coliseum is sticky as ****! I can't wait till they move too Kansas"

I am just fed up with people's attitude.

Fruitbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbasket View Post

Let's Go Islanders.
Another poster telling everyone how they should feel. If you think the problems being vented here are about this or that player, or the ten games, or whatever then you really need a new set of eyeballs. People are fed up with being hostages of a derelict owner. You can trace likely every complaint to this common source of frustration. And if you think any of us have to be a fan of his while being fansof the isles, well, you're wrong. 100% wrong.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 05:49 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
DP was sloppy and let in weak goals. He is not an NHL goalie and he should not be starting any games going forward.

When DP plays the defense has to worry about him. He couldn't control the puck and looked like a beer league goalie.

Montoya should start next game and if DP is carted out there again. I will sell what i can of my seasons and give the rest away.
He didnt' let in any weak goals whatsoever, the defense was horrendous. You are one of the negative haters. Only goalie to let in a weak goal all season has been Montoya in game 1 against florida, shot right on that dribbled through him. Make some sense.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 05:54 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
That's a bunch of crap. Professional athletes play the same way, regardless of who they have in net. DP let in two goals-and one of them was a defensemen's fault. Maybe if they scored a goal, it wouldn't be the problem. Maybe if the team played with energy (which they haven't done all year-regardless of who's in net), they would be competitive.

When you score 0 goals in a game, it doesn't matter if you have Patrick Roy, Terry Sawchuk, or Eric F***ing Fichaud in net-you're going to lose. Period.
+1 all of this. They are grown men. If they can't play the same with all 3 goalies in net then they need to get the hell out. Coaching and players desire needs to fix that, you don't blame the goalie.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
RafterRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.
Me and my buddies were the "Go Home" guys...also the game before this I had a fool sitting next to me griping the whole first period about how this team sucks..... I changed seats so I could sit next to him in the second and the instant he opened his mouth I made a nice quiet "You don't watch much hockey, eh?" comment to him. He got loud and was babbling about defensemen that don't go into the corners and blast checks.... my next comment was "Than who covers the passing lanes in front of the net?" His next comment was "The only reason I root for this team is Tavares!" I then stated that this team has more going for it than any team we have had for the last 5 years and a guy in front of me agreed then told him he should go to MSG from now on....The rest of the game he sat and whispered to his buddy and kept his ignorant comments to himself. The one statement from me that finally shut him down was "This is real hockey...not NHL11 or a hockey forum..learn the real game then comment."

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote