HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MZA may be back (The MZA Thread)

Old
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
DubiDubiDoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I'd rather see
Avery-Richards-Gaborik
Zucc-Dubi-Cally
Ani-Stepan-Tank
Boyle-EC-Prust

I'd like to see Ani play some wing, I think it would help him in the same way it helped Dubi last yr. He's got a great shot and some nifty moves, he just seems stiff at center, we need to loosen him up

this way the top two lines still have some grit too, I just cnt see putting zucc with richards and gabby

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyMcdonald View Post
I like Zuc but he doesn't make sense on a line with Gaborik. Need someone strong down in the corners, not a second sniper.
MZA is a playmaker first and foremost.

I don't see how Avery is going to jump from healthy scratch and whale call-up to first line winger. If Torts plays him, it'll be in the bottom 6 where he belongs.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Why does Zooks have to play top 6 minutes? He played 3rd line minutes last season and scored .55 points per game with those minutes. That was 5th best on the team. He was 3rd best on the team in points per minute. He only trailed Gabs/Cally. It is not against the law for a team to have skilled players on the 3rd line..
I agree. If he got third line minutes, he could be effective. Last year he avg'd 14 minutes a game, and put up decent numbers. But if he's playing just 6-8 minutes, he won't be effective.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Very few teams have only grinders in their bottom-6.

Buffalo has Gerbe, Ennis.

Montreal has Desharnais, Eller, AK.

Boston has Peverley, Kelly.

Detroit has Cleary, Helm, Abdelkader.

Vancouver has Hodgson.

The 3rd line should be specifically for developing young players. it should be a mix of skill and grit. This isn't pre-lockout where you need 6 players who can only muck it up and hit.

The Rangers are lucky enough to have the Boyle line who can play anywhere from 6-15 minutes a night. Develop MZA at the NHL level. Give him 6 minutes some nights and 14 on some other nights but keep him in the NHL. If he doesn't develop like they want him to then don't re-sign him.

With the way Torts moves players around anyways it doesn't matter who starts on the 4th line or the 1st line, everyone plays with everyone.
Good post, I agree.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Melrose_Jr.

This thread is like the bizarro version of the "MZA to Modo?" thread.

Quote:
I like Zuc but he doesn't make sense on a line with Gaborik. Need someone strong down in the corners, not a second sniper.
Disagree. He's already played on the 4th line with Christensen and it doesn't work. Torts even said he demoted him because it was detrimental to his development.

If Mats really is discontent with the way he's being handled, then this is his chance to either prove that he can contribute or put him in his place and tell him to stop whining to the Norwegian media. It's a perfect opportunity for all parties involved IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Put MZA in Wolski's spot, and then you can mix and match him and Dubi depending on what kind of lines you want.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If Mats really is discontent with the way he's being handled, then this is his chance to either prove that he can contribute or put him in his place and tell him to stop whining to the Norwegian media. It's a perfect opportunity for all parties involved IMO.
Mats has not once "whined to the Norwegian media". He, like any other player would, answers polite to questions (many stupid ones) from the journalists. Then the journalists make their stories, juggling with his words, to sell the most papers they can.

Basically he has said:
-He is disappointed to be sent down to the Whale.
-He understands that there is no use for him to play in the 4th line
-He wants to play in the NHL
-He believes he is good enough for the NHL
-He is open for a change of club if the Rangers make it clear that he is not in their future plans

I cannot see any whining here. Mats is one of the most serious and humble guys you can find out there, so I find this being totally unfair.

Today and tommorow will be interesting though. I donŽt think Torts will call him up to play in the fourth line. So if heŽs called up, I think weŽll see him in the third line with 12-15 minutes.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
LannyMcdonald

Quote:
This thread is like the bizarro version of the "MZA to Modo?" thread.

Disagree. He's already played on the 4th line with Christensen and it doesn't work. Torts even said he demoted him because it was detrimental to his development.

I'm not insisting that he play bottom 6, just saying that I don't see him and Gaborik as a good fit.

LannyMcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
I cannot see any whining here. Mats is one of the most serious and humble guys you can find out there, so I find this being totally unfair.
I don't know what to believe. There's a half dozen articles cited in that thread, none of them in a language I speak. I'm having to wade through interpretations of translations and assume no one is putting their own spin on it, whether it be the writer of the article or the poster that's translating it.

In the end, I don't care. I agree with Mats' sentiments that he can contribute in the right role. Go back through that thread and you'll find that I endorsed MZA for Wolski's spot when/if he re-injured the groin. I'm not trying to belittle the guy. I just want to see what he can do instead of just hearing about what he can.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I think zuccarello would fit well with Anisimov and perhaps Fedotenko or Avery. I agree hes not the best fit for gabby's opposite wing, but he's more of a playmaker than a sniper.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'm not insisting that he play bottom 6, just saying that I don't see him and Gaborik as a good fit.
I wasn't sure Wolski would be either, but Gabby turned him to a productive member of the roster in a role more fitting of his skill set.

Old
11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
I don't know what to believe. There's a half dozen articles cited in that thread, none of them in a language I speak. I'm having to wade through interpretations of translations and assume no one is putting their own spin on it, whether it be the writer of the article or the poster that's translating it.

In the end, I don't care. I agree with Mats' sentiments that he can contribute in the right role. Go back through that thread and you'll find that I endorsed MZA for Wolski's spot when/if he re-injured the groin. I'm not trying to belittle the guy. I just want to see what he can do instead of just hearing about what he can.
NYR 2010-2011 minutes played per point leaders:

1. Gabs 23.4 minutes played per point
2. Cally 24.9 minutes played per point
3. Zooks 25.5 minutes played per point
4. Duby 28.7 minutes played per point

So if Zooks was right near the top in point production per minute and way ahead of guys like Duby, Steps, and AA is it possible he deserves a chance to show what he can do on a legit line playing legit minutes?

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Both Avery and zuke will have to play pretty awesome to be brought back for more than a couple of games...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Vancouver has Hodgson.

The 3rd line should be specifically for developing young players. it should be a mix of skill and grit. This isn't pre-lockout where you need 6 players who can only muck it up and hit.

The Rangers are lucky enough to have the Boyle line who can play anywhere from 6-15 minutes a night. Develop MZA at the NHL level. Give him 6 minutes some nights and 14 on some other nights but keep him in the NHL. If he doesn't develop like they want him to then don't re-sign him.

With the way Torts moves players around anyways it doesn't matter who starts on the 4th line or the 1st line, everyone plays with everyone.
Most of those players have something in common, something Zuccarello doesn't possess..

The ability to fill a role at the NHL level.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:

Vancouver has Hodgson.
Gerbe, Peverley, Kostitsyn, Kelly, Helm, and Cleary are essentially grinders with skill. Abdelkader isn't anything more than a grinder, if he is that, even.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
SRTtoZ

I would have ZERO problem with MZA getting more ice time than say someone like Anisimov.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

MZA should be getting 3rd line minutes as of now. Prust, Boyle, Feds shoud be getting 4th line + Special Teams.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
freewheeler

EC should not be in this lineup. I'm going to end up breaking my tv watching him away from the puck. I generally agree MZA doesn't make sense on the 4th, but with WW out, bench EC, and maybe give the bottom 6 equal minutes. Though, PBR has done nothing to lose time, IMO.

Or could drop Anisimov to the third line, try to get him going with those guys like they did a bit last year, put Prust on the 4th, and move Zuccs with Gaborik and Stepan.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Gerbe, Peverley, Kostitsyn, Kelly, Helm, and Cleary are essentially grinders with skill. Abdelkader isn't anything more than a grinder, if he is that, even.
Gerbe's a grinder? Agree on the others.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:41 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I believe Zuccs will get the callup to take Wolski's spot. It works because he and Stepan still have some good chemistry, and then they have Gaborik on the RW.

If Avery is indeed playing tomorrow then he will most likely take Devaux's spot. I don't really want to see Torts tweak the lines too much, I like the offense they created yesterday, just slot another offensive player into Wolski's spot and keep Avery where he belongs.

11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
GamerZX101

Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Zuccarello-EC-Fedotenko
Avery-Boyle-Prust

Those should be the lines right now.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:53 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Zuccarello-EC-Fedotenko
Avery-Boyle-Prust

Those should be the lines right now.
Where were you when we tried those lines earlier in the year and we had nothing but one line going?

Ideally, yes those should be the lines. However, it appears that the lines, as currently constituted, are getting really good chemistry and are creating a lot of chances. Now's not the time to mess with that.

Slot MZA into Wolski's spot (two offensive, playmaker, types) and have Devaux and Avery be interchangeable.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

MZA Stepan Gabby

DOIT

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
MZA Stepan Gabby

DOIT
please dont do it.can you imagine that line in their own zone?disaster

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
lolwut.

Where are all of these top-6 forwards you're seeing in the lineup?
i would feel more comfortable with Feds in a top 6 role over Zuc.hes more reliable and steady and responsible and you know what you will get out of him.Feds wont give you the points Zuc MIGHT,but he will be better defensively and hes much better along the boards then Zuc is.

Zuc just isnt a top 6 option at this time on this team.doesnt mean he wont be 1 somewhere down the road,but at this point,i just dont see it.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote