HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
That's a terrible example given that Pat's career was cut short due to a concussion suffered while playing for the NYR.

Let's not talk about it plz!
Yeah but that was his 5th concussion. The reason why I brought it up was that Patrick destroyed Lafontaine inthe 1990 playoffs to the point where he laid on the ice "like a newborn friggin baby (God)", only to be the most dominant player in the NHL a season later

Old
11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Pat Lafontaine suffered two massive TBI's before 1993 (one thanks to James Patrick) and was a Hart finalist a year later.

Staal will bounce back. It's only minor.
Jeez... Pat Lafontaine? That's a pretty brutal example for bouncing back. I hope to God that Staal doesn't have to go through the hellish concussion problems Pat Lafontaine had to go through. One or two great seasons sandwiched between multiple concussion riddled seasons is a tough way to live.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Is it true that some people are genetically more prone to concussions?

Almost everything is part-nature, part-nurture. It doesn't mean that if you have a predisposition, you will definitely get it. Steven Pinker once said on The Daily Show that tests show that he has a predisposition to baldness, but as his picture shows, he clearly isn't bald.

However, it still means that your odds of getting whatever you are predisposed to are much higher. It's not a 0% vs. 100% game, it's more like, 10% vs. 90% or 30% vs. 70%, depending on the exact thing we are talking about.

I'm absolutely certain that some people are more predisposed to concussions than others based on just about every disease having people with predispositions.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:01 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Jeez... Pat Lafontaine? That's a pretty brutal example for bouncing back. I hope to God that Staal doesn't have to go through the hellish concussion problems Pat Lafontaine had to go through. One or two great seasons sandwiched between multiple concussion riddled seasons is a tough way to live.
It's an extreme example, but it puts things in perspective (hopefully) for the fans who think his career is over.

Personally, I think both Crosby and Staal are fine. It's the societal shift in how head injuries are classified and treated that is keeping them on the shelf.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Yeah but that was his 5th concussion. The reason why I brought it up was that Patrick destroyed Lafontaine inthe 1990 playoffs to the point where he laid on the ice "like a newborn friggin baby (God)", only to be the most dominant player in the NHL a season later
I understand, but Pat always said he was never the same after the first one. Even tho he and Mogilny lit up the league. He also has said that he maybe rushed back a few times.

In any event...

I actually own a LaFontaine NYR jersey lol.

I don't want to compare him to Staal...

I'm hoping Staal will come back and be good as new. (fingers, toes crossed)

Old
11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 822
AGrossRecord Torts on Marc Staal (post-concussion symptoms). "Indefinite." No improvements. Not at point where improvements can be discussed with trainer
4 minutes ago by Andrew Gross, Rangers beat writer for The Record

Doesn't sound good at all..... Maybe we should just consider him out for the year?

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in so I put it in Both.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
It's an extreme example, but it puts things in perspective (hopefully) for the fans who think his career is over.

Personally, I think both Crosby and Staal are fine. It's the societal shift in how head injuries are classified and treated that is keeping them on the shelf.
It doesn't really make anybody feel better. Marc Staal is no Pat LaFontaine. He's not going to have any type of monster seasons in between concussion riddled seasons that are going to ease anybody's feelings. And a Marc Staal whose game is limited by loominng concussion problems is not going to be nearly as effective as an offensive super talent like LaFontaine. Not to mention that if LaFontaine was playing in today's environment, he would have played less as a result of increased caution (to his benefit as per his own opinions on the subject).

The upside of Marc Staal is that of a steady and reliable defensive anchor. Durability and longevity is kind of the point. I don't know how often it happens that a player has this kind of long term problems and then goes on to be relatively free of these symptoms and has a long and durable career. But I sure hope that's the case here. It would be a devastating blow to the "rebuilding" otherwise.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
SML

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but I don't buy this concussion story. A player knocks his brother out with a career threatening injury, and there has been almost no blowing the story out of proportion. The media blows everything out of proportion, why not this story? Something here does not add up. There have been countless cases in the past where the team says a player is out with this, and you find out later that was a cover story. I'm not worried about Staal being concussed in the least, because I don't believe that is really what happened to him. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but I don't buy this concussion story. A player knocks his brother out with a career threatening injury, and there has been almost no blowing the story out of proportion. The media blows everything out of proportion, why not this story? Something here does not add up. There have been countless cases in the past where the team says a player is out with this, and you find out later that was a cover story. I'm not worried about Staal being concussed in the least, because I don't believe that is really what happened to him. Hopefully, I am wrong.
The thing is, there is nothing to blow out of proportion because it was a clean hit.... If it was a dirty hit, that would be a different story.... These guys are competitive hockey players on the ice first and foremost, brothers outside of the rink....

Old
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The thing is, there is nothing to blow out of proportion because it was a clean hit.... If it was a dirty hit, that would be a different story.... These guys are competitive hockey players on the ice first and foremost, brothers outside of the rink....
That's ridiculous. Family is first and foremost everywhere. A surface composed of frozen liquid doesn't suspend the the rules of basic human virtue. And Eric Staal and his family are going to have to live with it for the rest of their lives. And I promise you it's not going to be very easy.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
It's being covered up by the aliens that have infiltrated our government.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Family is first and foremost everywhere. A surface composed of frozen liquid doesn't suspend the the rules of basic human virtue. And Eric Staal and his family are going to have to live with it for the rest of their lives. And I promise you it's not going to be very easy.
What's ridiculous? You taking my post out of context? It was in direct response to SML's post... There is nothing for the media to blow out of proportion here... This was 2 hockey players playing the game, and Eric hit Marc with a clean hit... What can they blow out of proportion? That 2 professional athletes should not have checked each other on the ice because they're brothers?

Old
11-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 822
Quote:
Tell that to the Sutter brothers.....

Old
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What's ridiculous?
This...
Quote:
These guys are competitive hockey players on the ice first and foremost, brothers outside of the rink

Old
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
well there aren't a lot of facts to go on so it's hard to blow facts out of proportion when barely any exist. blowing speculation out of proportion is the internet's job, not journalists. editors have more important assignments to cover than making **** up.

Old
11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I Am Classless

Eric hit Marc clean. That's part of his job description. You know why there hasn't been a big hubbub made about it? The sports media - the sports media - has more scruples than that.

Old
11-04-2011, 04:48 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
You should keep this classified information to yourself or you are likely to be made "disappear" by the men in black

Old
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
This...
That statement is 100% valid... These are competitive professional hockey players... Were you expecting the Staal brothers to treat each other differently on the ice because they're family? Let up and not hit each other so hard? On the ice it's all business....

Old
11-04-2011, 05:14 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Mulder, is that you?

Old
11-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
what do you think is actually going on then?

Old
11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Mulder, is that you?
I met Mulder about a year ago. Took him salmon fishing in Iceland (at midnight). Great guy. Funny, witty with a dirty mind. We had drinks and played pool until 4 AM... Great times...
Oh yeah, he arrived at my resort in a black helicopter. I was there to greet him and (we sometimes do not get the names of celebrities staying with us - just a VIP notification) imagine the surprise of me seeing him come outta the chopper (big Xfile fan)....

Old
11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
gluvhand

The real reason the media at large hasn't hit this story? It's hockey and the public at large couldn't give a rat's ass.

Old
11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
msv957

What a shame what is happening with Staal. He is a real good player who has a long career ahead of him. Hopefully, this is all just VERY precautionary.

It just seems odd how it all transpired during the off season, then into training camp and the regular season.

The good news from all of this is that there are others really picking up the slack. Girardi is at an ALL STAR level, McD looks good and even MDZ is showing the flair that he had his rookie season.

Old
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I mentioned this in another thread.

Is getting a cortisone shot in the neck standard procedure for post-concussion symptoms?

Glen Sather mentioned it may not be a concussion. He said it could be a disk issue in his neck/back.

Something doesn't add up.

Old
11-04-2011, 05:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I don't put it past the team to not be completely forthcoming about injuries, but if they are going to say it's one thing when it's really another, why would they say it's a concussion? That would be the last thing we'd want to hear. I'd be much more comfortable if it were something else with a definitive timeline for recovery.

That being said, there's still things here that don't add up. Staal was injured on Feb 22nd. He came back on Mar 3rd and played the final 15 games of the season, plus 5 playoff games, and showed no ill effects from the hit. Then 5 months later we learn that he's suffering headaches after working out due to PCS? Was he suffering headaches after each game after he came back?

I'm of the firm belief that whatever is causing his headaches, it isn't PCS. He doesn't have any of the other systems associated with PCS and he only gets the headaches after working out. But it's frustrating that they haven't figured out yet exactly what's going on.

Closed Thread