HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letestu

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

vCash: 500
OK, my unrealistic hope for getting Oshie aside, what are the chances that Shero will make a more lateral move? Like say, swapping Letestu for Bergfors?

I realize that D-men are coming up from WBS, but who could we possibly get for a comparable cap hit to Letestu? With the way we're losing players to injury, I don't see Shero subtracting anyone at this point. Vitale, Park and MacIntyre are all on 2-way deals, as is Jeffrey for this year so as players come back into the line-up those four can be sent down (or back up) as needed.

I realize Letestu hasn't had a great start this year, but surely he's worth more than a fourth round pick?

Old
11-04-2011, 05:38 PM
BoneShow

I wish the Coyotes would have waited to make a move for a center now that Letestu is a possibility

Old
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeganX View Post
OK, my unrealistic hope for getting Oshie aside, what are the chances that Shero will make a more lateral move? Like say, swapping Letestu for Bergfors?

I realize that D-men are coming up from WBS, but who could we possibly get for a comparable cap hit to Letestu? With the way we're losing players to injury, I don't see Shero subtracting anyone at this point. Vitale, Park and MacIntyre are all on 2-way deals, as is Jeffrey for this year so as players come back into the line-up those four can be sent down (or back up) as needed.

I realize Letestu hasn't had a great start this year, but surely he's worth more than a fourth round pick?
Imo, Adams, Asham, Park, Vitale, Jeffrey is our depth on the 4th line and in that order. With a fully healthy roster and a trade for a RW, Dupuis will take another spot on the 4th line.

It'll be interesting how DB balances the 4th line with a need for a gritty guy like Asham, a RHS f/o ace like Vitale/Park, Adams' PKing and manlove from DB and a guy like Jeffrey who could have serious upside if given another shot in the top 9.

I don't see Shero bringing a roster player back in a trade with Letestu. We already have too many choices on our 4th line. Maybe another depth D-man who's on a 2 way and waiver ineligible.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Imo, Adams, Asham, Park, Vitale, Jeffrey is our depth on the 4th line and in that order. With a fully healthy roster and a trade for a RW, Dupuis will take another spot on the 4th line.

It'll be interesting how DB balances the 4th line with a need for a gritty guy like Asham, a RHS f/o ace like Vitale/Park, Adams' PKing and manlove from DB and a guy like Jeffrey who could have serious upside if given another shot in the top 9.

I don't see Shero bringing a roster player back in a trade with Letestu. We already have too many choices on our 4th line. Maybe another depth D-man who's on a 2 way and waiver ineligible.
I was hoping we'd pick up Bergfors this summer. He showed a lot of potential when he was on the Devils, but never seemed to get much going after that. He's put up similar numbers to Letestu in half the games, and is a RW.

I see your point, though. I like the Asham/Adams/Vitale line as well.

Shero's pretty savvy, I'm sure he'll get the best return for Letestu.

Old
11-05-2011, 07:52 AM
malksby8771

2 players over max roster size

Just wondering if we need to shed our roster by two players once TK and Crosby come back since we have 16F, 7D, and 2G for a total of 25 players. This would mean trading Letestu for a draft pick wouldn't be enough to get us below the max roster size and we would need to make an additional trade.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeganX View Post
Vitale, Park and MacIntyre are all on 2-way deals, as is Jeffrey for this year so as players come back into the line-up those four can be sent down (or back up) as needed.

Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. All four players you mentioned would have to clear waivers to be sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. It's because of their age and pro service time, not contract status. The two-way contract just means IF they make their way to the AHL, they'd get paid a different salary than if they remain in the NHL. That's it.

Secondly, Letestu isn't worth much more than a fourth, no.

Quote:
I think you're dreaming in technicolor if you think Dupuis will go from the first line to the fourth line. This season, Dupuis has actually EARNED the right to play with Kunitz and Crosby, at least he has so far. Let's see if they have the chemistry back once Sid returns.

As for the 4th line depth, I would place Vitale, Asham and MacIntyre above the others, because I think that 4th line would absolutely kick ass. Then we can keep two of the others around for depth. Adams is totally redundant on this team now, with both Vitale and Park playing so well. And I have no idea what to do with Jeffrey.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I think you're dreaming in technicolor if you think Dupuis will go from the first line to the fourth line. This season, Dupuis has actually EARNED the right to play with Kunitz and Crosby, at least he has so far. Let's see if they have the chemistry back once Sid returns.
You might as well say that Cooke has earned it though.
This is not me saying that Dupuis hasn't played really well, he has. But he has been good playing while playing in his comfort zone and switching Staal and Crosby is a major, major change.

Quote:
As for the 4th line depth, I would place Vitale, Asham and MacIntyre above the others, because I think that 4th line would absolutely kick ass.
It wouldn't be a fourth line because MacIntyre cannot and should not take a regular shift. However, if it means that our top three C's were rotated with the other two and Mac as... erhmm... deterrent.... well that is something else entirely.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:09 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malksby8771 View Post
Just wondering if we need to shed our roster by two players once TK and Crosby come back since we have 16F, 7D, and 2G for a total of 25 players. This would mean trading Letestu for a draft pick wouldn't be enough to get us below the max roster size and we would need to make an additional trade.
Yes we do.

But since they'll come back one at a time, we can trim the roster one by one.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It wouldn't be a fourth line because MacIntyre cannot and should not take a regular shift. However, if it means that our top three C's were rotated with the other two and Mac as... erhmm... deterrent.... well that is something else entirely.
Clearly, that is what would happen. Dressing Mac means less ice time for that spot in the lineup, more ice time up for grabs for our best players.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Gustavo Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Letestu's value has fallen big time - if Shero was going to trade him, he squandered a big opportunity this summer.
This. I think Shero is looking at a 4th liner (with waiver eligibility) or a 3rd/4th round pick at best.

Last edited by Gustavo Fring: 11-05-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

High-risk, high-reward winger prospect (who is not panning out somewhere else - maybe a guy we had our eye on some prior draft), or a late pick in this year's draft. Book it. There is no way in hell we're getting a regular roster player for Mark Letestu. That is, someone good enough to regularly play on this roster, as opposed to some doormat's roster.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Cspeirs4

Letestu for filatov as an experiment??

Old
11-05-2011, 11:24 AM
vikingGoalie

letestu for a bag of pucks?

seriously though. he's out of here, and we are not going to get anyone who will consume a roster spot.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
letestu for a bag of pucks?

seriously though. he's out of here, and we are not going to get anyone who will consume a roster spot.
Bag of pucks? At this point I would be happy if the Pens just get the bag for him.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

My my my...
Incredible how Letestu's stock has fallen.

Just last year, folks were talking about trading Staal and keeping Letestu in the 3rd line center role.

That being said...
I think trading for a risky winger would be more helpful, as we always seem to be on short supply of those.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspeirs87 View Post
Letestu for filatov as an experiment??
Sign me up buddy !!!

But I doubt Sens would do that, they gave 3rd rounder for him and we have no chance to get 3rd for Letestu IMHO.

At least, I would like to see RH Filatov with Geno or Sid once.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:

As for the 4th line depth, I would place Vitale, Asham and MacIntyre above the others, because I think that 4th line would absolutely kick ass. Then we can keep two of the others around for depth. Adams is totally redundant on this team now, with both Vitale and Park playing so well. And I have no idea what to do with Jeffrey.
We don't have room for him in the top 9 when we're healthy with an upgrade at RW. He's more than capable of playing with Sid and hopefully he can look a bit better on his wing than last year, but don't think for one second Shero won't try and bring in an upgrade at some point.

MacIntyre will not be playing in a playoff game, period. A 4th line come postseason, with Duper on the LW, is going to have one of Park/Vitale/Adams at center and one of Adams/Asham at RW.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
PenguinTommy

Do you think packaging Letestu with Jeffrey would be a bad idea??

Something like Letestu + Jeffrey + pick for a player like Hemsky or Ruutu ???

Old
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Do you think packaging Letestu with Jeffrey would be a bad idea??

Something like Letestu + Jeffrey + pick for a player like Hemsky or Ruutu ???
Won't get you Hemsky, depends on the pick with Ruutu. But can't happen without a significant salary going out. We'd have to wait til the deadline to afford them.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
We don't have room for him in the top 9 when we're healthy with an upgrade at RW. He's more than capable of playing with Sid and hopefully he can look a bit better on his wing than last year, but don't think for one second Shero won't try and bring in an upgrade at some point.

MacIntyre will not be playing in a playoff game, period. A 4th line come postseason, with Duper on the LW, is going to have one of Park/Vitale/Adams at center and one of Adams/Asham at RW.
I don't think we need a RW upgrade this year. Not unless something happens to Sullivan, Neal or Kunitz, long term. If Dupuis slumps or goes into the tank offensively, we still have Dustin Jeffrey to try in a scoring role. We still can move Tyler Kennedy there, as had been planned. We still have Eric Tangradi.
At some point, this org. needs to find out about these guys.

I don't see Dupuis being on the fourth line in the playoffs. But even if he were, we have other candidates to jump up into the top 6. Why waste assets if you don't need to?

Old
11-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Hemsky would be perfect IMO. Ruutu would be nice also, but we have Kunitz already and he's much like Ruutu. I think Hemsky would look great with Crosby even he would play half of remaining games.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:53 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I don't think we need a RW upgrade this year. Not unless something happens to Sullivan, Neal or Kunitz, long term. If Dupuis slumps or goes into the tank offensively, we still have Dustin Jeffrey to try in a scoring role. We still can move Tyler Kennedy there, as had been planned. We still have Eric Tangradi.
At some point, this org. needs to find out about these guys.

I don't see Dupuis being on the fourth line in the playoffs. But even if he were, we have other candidates to jump up into the top 6. Why waste assets if you don't need to?
Judging from the past, Shero will improve the team anyway he can. Our defense is looking more and more complete as long as we're healthy come postseason. So an upgrade on the RW is the only weakness we have left. I highly doubt we stand pat, that's just dumb.

Don't even kid about Jeffrey being tryed out on Sid's RW this year. If it gets to that point, that means we've sustained serious injuries and we're in alot of trouble come postseason.

Kennedy moving to Sid's wing has not been planned. It's been said DB wants him back with Staal.

As for Tangradi, maybe he can be a surprise this year if injuries at the wing position start to sneak up on us. I just don't think he'll be the option on Sid/Geno's RW when history has told us Shero likes to shop at the deadline.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Hemsky would be perfect IMO. Ruutu would be nice also, but we have Kunitz already and he's much like Ruutu. I think Hemsky would look great with Crosby even he would play half of remaining games.
After watching Hemsky a bit more, he holds onto the puck for far too long, ala Voracek. I highly doubt he'll fit in with Sid's type of game which is based off of turnovers and speed in the offensive zone. And with Malkin having the puck on his stick a majority of his shift, I don't think Hemsky's skillset would fit in.

But then again, if he comes alot cheaper than hfboards thinks, it certainly can't hurt to add a top line winger when healthy.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
After watching Hemsky a bit more, he holds onto the puck for far too long, ala Voracek. I highly doubt he'll fit in with Sid's type of game which is based off of turnovers and speed in the offensive zone. And with Malkin having the puck on his stick a majority of his shift, I don't think Hemsky's skillset would fit in.

But then again, if he comes alot cheaper than hfboards thinks, it certainly can't hurt to add a top line winger when healthy.
I believe you. Haven't seen him play that much. Somehow I just figured he would be less shooting, less physical and right-handed, more dangling version of Hossa.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:14 PM
sina220*

If Letestu goes it's to open a roster spot. Noone on a 1-way deal or waiver eligible will be coming back. Lovejoy's injury also isn't going to be more than a 6 week thing and Michaleks not much more than 4 so there's little need to find a long term solution for the rest of the year. This is exactly why Shero always signs a guy like Picard or Hutchinson.

As far as return, I'd hope for a 3rd rounder. Maybe we could package letestu + a 4th for a 2nd. I don't really see a need to add a mid level prospect, which is all you'd get for Letestu, when you could probably find better value in the 3rd round this year.

Minny, Colombus, Florida, and Dallas would all be decent places to check, they all need scoring depth down the middle.

Closed Thread