HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - Postgame Thoughts and Tidbits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
  #276
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan32 View Post
Send Clifford down? Some of you have to be joking. When does that ever happen? (I'm curious) he is having a tough time, but sending him to the AHL would be a major mistake. It's not like he is awful. He is just having a tough time. I'm actually baffled people think it would be a good idea.
Mostly because he is having a tough time and I would like to see him go down and regain some confidence in his offensive game. Also, he is the only forward that is optionable and the Kings need the room to evaluate Loktionov before deciding to make a move.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:43 PM
  #277
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Odd man rushes as well, yes, but those odd man rushes are now because of a mistake that was made rather than team speed etc,

The players aren't stuck on the boards etc, meaning, THEY have to make the decision to drive the net, the coach can only do so much, if they make the wrong decision, ala, stay on the boards, what you get is what happened last night.
No adjustments have been made then as its happened 10 out of 12 games so far and showing no signs of changing.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
  #278
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
i wholeheartedly agree with this statement, and i also agree that the kings do seem to be lacking in this department. some time ago, like maybe a season ago, when there was discussion about smyth leaving the kings for some reason, i asked hammond who could possibly replace him in terms of parking in front of the net, getting rebounds, and tipping in goals. while he may not be a sage or anything, it is interesting to note now that he said he thought the only person that could come anywhere near smyth's net presence was handzus, and now we have neither player. i also think brown has done it some, among some other players, but as you say, it's occasionally.

i do think it's important to mention, though, that last night khabibulin wasn't giving up any rebounds to speak of. either because of positioning, or because of easy shots being taken, he was taking almost everything in the logo and catching it in his glove before there was a second chance. i'm not saying the net presence thing isn't a problem - i do think it is. but last night was a crappy situation for that all around.
he controlled them because......net presence. or the Kings lack of it. goalies at that level will soak up almost everything unless they have someone's ass, stick, feet, torso....sitting in front of them. a NHL goalie with a clear view will gobble up almost everything shot at him. the whole point of posting on the crease and screening them is to make it harder for them to get their angles, positioning and view. until somebody on LA on at least two lines starts doing it, expect more crappy results.

i only recall one after whistle scrum around Khabi last night. DB went in once and that was it. way to get in his head and mess up his game. LA played 60-minutes of warming up the goalie last night.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
  #279
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
No adjustments have been made then as its happened 10 out of 12 games so far and showing no signs of changing.
Not going to note every game, but wasn't everyone raving about the PHX game, at least portions of it, and the Avs game, how the Kings forecheck was dominating, and the bad bounces went against them etc?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:46 PM
  #280
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Mostly because he is having a tough time and I would like to see him go down and regain some confidence in his offensive game. Also, he is the only forward that is optionable and the Kings need the room to evaluate Loktionov before deciding to make a move.

Who is Murray going to take out? stoll or lewis? that's not going to happen.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:47 PM
  #281
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Who is Murray going to take out? stoll or lewis? that's not going to happen.
Move either to wing, most important thing is though, if you do recall him, play him, Don;t just play him 6-7 min a game, that's just as damaging as telling him to try and fight...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:51 PM
  #282
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Not going to note every game, but wasn't everyone raving about the PHX game, at least portions of it, and the Avs game, how the Kings forecheck was dominating, and the bad bounces went against them etc?
they were awful in the Avs game. i was there to see them play yet another half-ass game. complete lack of effort with the exception of a few. couldn't complete passes (go figure), out muscled along the boards, no sense of urgency.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:52 PM
  #283
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Not going to note every game, but wasn't everyone raving about the PHX game, at least portions of it, and the Avs game, how the Kings forecheck was dominating, and the bad bounces went against them etc?
Yet they still managed to only score 2 goals. So even when they are forechecking well, we need lucky bounces to score more than 2. The system is holding the skilled players back. Why do all the ex kings score MORE when they leave?

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:53 PM
  #284
Kingsfan32
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Mostly because he is having a tough time and I would like to see him go down and regain some confidence in his offensive game. Also, he is the only forward that is optionable and the Kings need the room to evaluate Loktionov before deciding to make a move.
I would love for that to happen. I just find it hard to believe that he would benefit from being in Manchester because the Kings want to look at Loktionov. He would already have a tough time on the roster with Clifford gone. I just think it would send the wrong message to the players. "Here Clifford go play for the AHL and we will bring Loktionov up because you're not the same player right now". Something like that, you get it though.

Kingsfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:54 PM
  #285
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Move either to wing, most important thing is though, if you do recall him, play him, Don;t just play him 6-7 min a game, that's just as damaging as telling him to try and fight...
I agree with you, but it's just as bad putting him with 3rd and 4th liners. He needs other skilled players to excel as well. I would support dropping Brown to the 3rd line, Moving Richards over to wing and let Lokti center the 2nd line. You can still let Richards take the faceoffs......

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
  #286
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Who is Murray going to take out? stoll or lewis? that's not going to happen.
As sjmay said you move Stoll or Lewis to RW and let it fly with Loktionov in the middle.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
  #287
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Yet they still managed to only score 2 goals. So even when they are forechecking well, we need lucky bounces to score more than 2. The system is holding the skilled players back. Why do all the ex kings score MORE when they leave?
LOL you mean like Moulson and Boyle now? Or Purcell playing top line minutes?

This whole "Ex-King scores more" argument is a joke and nothing more.

BTW, I love how every argument turns into what the Kings do/didn't do, as if everyone refuses to give credit to the other team,

Case in point, last night, EDM played a nearly flawless game, and not one person can admit that, it all has to be that LA played horribly, which, at times they did, at times they didn't, regardless, everyone expects the opponents to lie down and die because we have Doughty and Kopitar ffs.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
  #288
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
I can admit I was wrong on Handzus. I didn't realize what he provided to the Kings until it was gone. Sure he wasn't the fastest guy, but he was an asset in the 3rd line role, one of the smartest players on the team. The downgrade in 3rd line center from last year to this year is painfully obvious.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
  #289
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan32 View Post
I would love for that to happen. I just find it hard to believe that he would benefit from being in Manchester because the Kings want to look at Loktionov. He would already have a tough time on the roster with Clifford gone. I just think it would send the wrong message to the players. "Here Clifford go play for the AHL and we will bring Loktionov up because you're not the same player right now". Something like that, you get it though.
What better reason is there to send a player down? It's not like it's a punishment. He needs to go down and work on some things. It happens with young players all the time.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
  #290
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I agree with you, but it's just as bad putting him with 3rd and 4th liners. He needs other skilled players to excel as well. I would support dropping Brown to the 3rd line, Moving Richards over to wing and let Lokti center the 2nd line. You can still let Richards take the faceoffs......
Not a bad idea, and but actually let the kid take the faceoffs except in the defensive zone, he's gotta learn...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:03 PM
  #291
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I agree with you, but it's just as bad putting him with 3rd and 4th liners. He needs other skilled players to excel as well. I would support dropping Brown to the 3rd line, Moving Richards over to wing and let Lokti center the 2nd line. You can still let Richards take the faceoffs......
As long as Loktionov is getting his ice time I would be comfortable with him centering Richardson and Penner. If he is setting up his wingers for scoring chances and getting some himself that is all you can ask.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:07 PM
  #292
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL you mean like Moulson and Boyle now? Or Purcell playing top line minutes?

This whole "Ex-King scores more" argument is a joke and nothing more.

BTW, I love how every argument turns into what the Kings do/didn't do, as if everyone refuses to give credit to the other team,

Case in point, last night, EDM played a nearly flawless game, and not one person can admit that, it all has to be that LA played horribly, which, at times they did, at times they didn't, regardless, everyone expects the opponents to lie down and die because we have Doughty and Kopitar ffs.
This isn't isolated to just one game. It's been most of the season. Last night it was just exposed more. Two home games in a row they have been shut out. They get last line change, matchups they want, and don't take advantage of it. He is out coached every single game.

But there's really no point in dragging this on. You are a TM supporter, where as I am not. Bottom line, He's had 3 years to improve 5 on 5 scoring, the quality of the players have gone up, yet here we are 12 games into the season almost dead last in 5 on 5 scoring and showing 0 signs of improving upon this stat.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
  #293
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
This isn't isolated to just one game. It's been most of the season. Last night it was just exposed more. Two home games in a row they have been shut out. They get last line change, matchups they want, and don't take advantage of it. He is out coached every single game.

But there's really no point in dragging this on. You are a TM supporter, where as I am not. Bottom line, He's had 3 years to improve 5 on 5 scoring, the quality of the players have gone up, yet here we are 12 games into the season almost dead last in 5 on 5 scoring and showing 0 signs of improving upon this stat.
Question for you,

We are ahead of Detroit in 5 on 5 scoring, anyone calling for Mike Babcock's head on a platter?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM
  #294
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Question for you,

We are ahead of Detroit in 5 on 5 scoring, anyone calling for Mike Babcock's head on a platter?
You can bet Kings fan's would be. Since it is Mike Babcock he would have even less rope.

We would expect the team to never lose two in a row.

Another note; Lewis is a damn smart player. Great Defensive skills. But he has to start producing something on the score sheet. You can't have a Center not put up any points.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
  #295
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You can bet Kings fan's would be. Since it is Mike Babcock he would have even less rope.

We would expect the team to never lose two in a row.
Good point, lol,

Like I said, it's as if everyone expects the opposing teams to cower in fear and skate away because we have Kopitar and Doughty.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  #296
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Penner = Ponikarovsky 2.0.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  #297
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You can bet Kings fan's would be. Since it is Mike Babcock he would have even less rope.

We would expect the team to never lose two in a row.

Another note; Lewis is a damn smart player. Great Defensive skills. But he has to start producing something on the score sheet. You can't have a Center not put up any points.
Sure you can, as long as he is contributing on the ice, ala a David Steckel type etc,

Lewis right now is the perfect 4th line C.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  #298
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Question for you,

We are ahead of Detroit in 5 on 5 scoring, anyone calling for Mike Babcock's head on a platter?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1019975

They're questioning him, that's for sure.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:19 PM
  #299
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Good point, lol,

Like I said, it's as if everyone expects the opposing teams to cower in fear and skate away because we have Kopitar and Doughty.
My concern is with the Lack of Physical play. The Kings use to be a rough team to play against. Not so much anymore. They should have made the Oilers youngsters pay last night.

So far the Team has been very soft. Brown is just not the same player. I wonder if he is afraid of the Shannaban man.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
  #300
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Lewis needs to learn how to finish. Whenever he takes a shot, I never expect it to go in and it rarely does. He's frustrating to watch because if he could learn how to score, he would be a great player.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.