HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR-ANA

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
I think a good measure of this team will be tomorrow nights game.

If they played so hard, and felt they shouldve won last night, I don't expect anything less than a W tomorrow night & a full game effort from the guys who are getting juicy minutes.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:11 AM
303Joe

From what I saw between...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotiFan03
Damn what bad luck!! Dunham did not deserve to be scored on three times.

The Rangers deserved better than this. The effort was there, they just couldn't put the puck in the net.

I just can't be too hard on the Rangers. They really deserved to win this game. This is where you can't blame coaching. You can't coach a player to be more accurate when taking a shot or deflecting a shot on goal.

This was pure bad luck tonight. This is where the Rangers miss Bure.

:mad:
going back and forth and then watching the entire 3rd period after the Isles were taught a trap clinic by the Devs I gotta disagree w/ you. Why do you think the Rangers deserve to win. Their PK was bad and PP is o for the season. Yes they had some good chances down low that Gerbert stopped. Rememer the Ducks went to the final last year and got their for playing a certain style. Yeah maybe the rangers could have gotten a goal before there was 3 and change left in the game if they had a lucky bounce but the Ducks cashed in w/ 2 PPG and an even strenght to boot. I though even though they were outshot the Ducks plated a good road game and deserved the win.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
I though even though they were outshot the Ducks plated a good road game and deserved the win.
I think that JD summarized the game perfectly last night when he said, "This is a clear example of one team playing much better than the other one, but the other team had better special teams and won."
The Rangers were basically dominating the ice at even strength but had abysmal special teams. Although, to be fair, the 3 goals can be caractorized as 1) a 50 ft slapshot, 2) A bounce of Poti, & 3) a bounce of 2 Ducks and one Kasperitis. Yeah, the Ducks got the win. Anyone who wins a game deserves it. However, there was a VAST difference between the 2 teams at even strength. The quality scoring chances were heavily skewed in the favor of the Ragners.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Fletch

Singin'...

Kaspar not only led his team in hits, he was #2 in the league! I think he had a crazy number like 363 (don't ask why that sticks in my head, it's probably wrong). Nearly 5 per game! I think he got screwed up last season with too many penalties, and on an undisciplined team, he had to ease up a bit. Makes you wonder why Sather's piled on so many 100+ PIMs guys.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Makes you wonder why Sather's piled on so many 100+ PIMs guys.
I've been asking that question for 2 years. It's not like he DID NOT know what he was getting when he acquired players like Kasper, Holik, Matty, etc. If you want theses guys to be the players that you signed them to be, you have to let them be them. And that means that penalties WILL occur. You can't ask a guy like Kasper to suddenly stop what it is that makes him go and redo his game and STILL be the same player he was. You gotta think that Jackass had to know that he was not signing a bunch of boyscouts.
Just keeps going back to the same ole' thing. Jackass signs these players but refuses to utilize them in a manner that has made them successful. How do you expect Kasper to hit the opposition into taking retaliation penalties if you do not allow him to hit? Just boggles the mind.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:42 AM
JR#9*

I have no problems with last nights game.The effort was there, we carried the play from the start, dominated them at even strenght but were unable to get that all important 1st goal vs a team like the Ducks and the Ducks were able to get a soft goal off the long shot by Ozo that deflects off Poti.

The NYR's are actually taking small, positive steps into learning how to become a team that play as a team within a system naturally and that is a very positive sign.You need to be able to consistently win games such as last night and the NYR's did everything they needed to do to achieve that goal except put the puck in the net on one or two of their many chances but if the work ethtic and level of play stay constant as it was last night then the pucks will start going in and the bounces will start going our way through hard work.

The best news of the day was #2 particapating in practice to a degree.He along with Dunny are by far our 2 most important and best players on the team and I really think once Leetch returns to the ice he will have a major impact on every aspect of the game but especially the PP which has killed us thus far.Just 3 or 4 PP goals over 7 games, a very resonable # would have won us pribrably 2 games in this stretch.

With Leetch back there QBing the PP things will be much better and his game breaking abilities in these tight games will be a huge addition.

They very much remain on the learning curve of how to win consistently and within a system but they've shown some very encouraging signs that will only get better as we get key players back(Lindros-Leetch) and continue to grow under Renney's influence.

Games such as last night we will start to win the vast majority of the time.

One side note--Carter is absolutely killing me!!!I can't figure out how this guy can be THIS ineffective. :mad: And it's not just the scoring but him just being a total nonfactor in all 3 zones and every aspect of the game.It's mindboggling the slide he's taken since donning the blueshirt b/c this isn't a washed up Val Kamensky or Mike Keane move but rather he is a guy very much in his prime years and one that has been far more effective on his previous 2 teams with various linemates.

We can't even trade him as the return would be to little to justify moving or rather dumping him as that is what it would become.I just hope this guy does a gut check and starts doing SOMETHING, anything to help this team start winning consistently.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:46 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I've been asking that question for 2 years. It's not like he DID NOT know what he was getting when he acquired players like Kasper, Holik, Matty, etc. If you want theses guys to be the players that you signed them to be, you have to let them be them. And that means that penalties WILL occur. You can't ask a guy like Kasper to suddenly stop what it is that makes him go and redo his game and STILL be the same player he was. You gotta think that Jackass had to know that he was not signing a bunch of boyscouts.
Just keeps going back to the same ole' thing. Jackass signs these players but refuses to utilize them in a manner that has made them successful. How do you expect Kasper to hit the opposition into taking retaliation penalties if you do not allow him to hit? Just boggles the mind.
The difference is the way the game is called today compared to even 2-3 years ago.

EVERYTHING is called today as far as hitting, whether it's clean or not, if there's a big collision somebody is going to the box and that pathetic.

The a-holes making the rules decide to focus on hits instead of calling all the interference BS going on all over the ice and that makes for some pretty dull hockey.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I have no problems with last nights game.
Not even with Messier getting 20 minutes of ice time? Not even with him getting more ice time than Holik? If you have no problem with that, then you have a lot more understanding of what Sather is doing than I do.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
You want to know why? He's too easy to read. Opposing players sense the next move he's going to make because his thought process out there has slowed down, he's too readable.
Good point Bluenote. On a penalty kill in the second, Mess had Rucinsky skating all alone ahead of Mess and all he had to do was head man the pass but by the time his 42 year neurons fired, the opening was gone. In fact, I think Rucinsky circled and was open again and Mess once again failed to even get the pass off.

Although in his defense, all you have to do is look at the power play to see how bad of a reaction time some of these guys have with the puck. I mean, come on, know what you are going to do with the puck BEFORE you get it. :mad:

Old
10-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Barnaby

Bottom line: They lost

Old
10-30-2003, 05:44 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
My takes:

Positives

- Kovalev had his best game yet. And not just because he scored. He played with an edge and showed some leadership.

- Say what you will, but I think that Simon has been good. He created more scoring chances than any other player on this team last night. A soft penalty call and blowing his top put a damper on his performance last night.

- Tom Poti was physical last night. No really.

- The team worked hard. And kept things simple. The did face a goalie who played extremely well.

Negatives

- Dunham was shaky. The first goal seemed to rattle him a bit.

- The PP is simply awful. If the skill guys aren't getting it done, try guys who would kill for PP time (Lundmark, Simon, Barnaby).

- The M & M boys are lost. The puck came to Mironov at the point and he had no idea what to do with it. When he finally made a decision, it was too late all the passing and shooting lanes were closed.

- Jan Hlavac was taken out of the game in the first period when Salei dropped him on his rump.

- This team needs to find a way to let Kaspar be Kaspar. A guy who two years ago led the team in hits is timid and uncertain. This team needs to find a partner to play with hims that will let him do his thing. Maybe when Leetch returns, deVries will be paired with Kaspar.

- Holiks physical game lasted on game it seems. He should have punished Federov.

- Anson Carter. Anytime you're ready big guy.

Neutrals

- Lundmark. He is good on the PK but is doing nothing offensively. Can't get his shot off.

- Messier. He wifted on a couple of gimme goals. But his line is doing most game in and game out.

- The PK. Gave up two PP goals but it still looks solid.

If there is such a thing as a good loss, this was it. The team did not quit. Taking bad penalties, the weak PP and Gerber were the difference.
Sometimes we agree so much it scares me....sometimes....

On the PP: They did try Mess's line on PP in the first and it didn't work at all. I think what the biggest problem on the PP is their lackadaisical play in their own zone and neutral zone. Also the speed at which they bring the puck through the neutral zone is too slow. They haven't set themselves up nice in the zone yet so they can apply proper pressure. Plus I think teams are playing up on the ranger players like they would at even strength, probably because they know the rangers are pressing/struggling. Yet another thing that's killing them is the D-men are having a diffucult time keeping the puck in.

Of course it's obvious that Leetch will help the breakout and keeping the puck in a great deal. Not an excuse and I'm not saying that he cures all the PP ills but he sure will help them.

Closed Thread