HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - Postgame Thoughts and Tidbits

Old
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Duc620

vCash: 500
I fondly remember one of our last odd man rushes, where Kopitar passed it to Brown in the neutral zone, and then Brown skated himself out of room and turned it over to the lone guy that was back on the play. Good times.

Absolutely outstanding, coffee in the keyboard post. I needed that!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Kingsfan32
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
What better reason is there to send a player down? It's not like it's a punishment. He needs to go down and work on some things. It happens with young players all the time.
What last player went down after playing a full season with their NHL club? I find it hard to believe it happens a lot. And if it does, so I'm a wrong. I just don't like the idea of it. If you're going to do it Clifford, you have to do it with every young player from now on.

Kingsfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:25 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1019975

They're questioning him, that's for sure.
Reading the first two pages, sounds like they are questioning the makeup of the team rather than systems...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan32 View Post
What last player went down after playing a full season with their NHL club? I find it hard to believe it happens a lot. And if it does, so I'm a wrong. I just don't like the idea of it. If you're going to do it Clifford, you have to do it with every young player from now on.
Clifford was a unique situation because he wasn't eligible to play in the AHL last season but the Kings didn't feel another year playing against kids in the OHL would be good for his development.

This season we do have the AHL option, and I think they should strongly consider it. Atleast for a few weeks.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Kingsfan32
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1019975

They're questioning him, that's for sure.
And a lot of Canucks fans want AV gone too. I mean, really?

Would Kings fans be ripping Murray right now if he got the Kings to where the Canucks were last season? Maybe. Probably.

At a point in every season, a fan is going to question the coach more often than not. It will happen again if the Kings got a new one. I'm not saying that next one won't be better. But, we will always come back here.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Kingsfan32
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Clifford was a unique situation because he wasn't eligible to play in the AHL last season but the Kings didn't feel another year playing against kids in the OHL would be good for his development.

This season we do have the AHL option, and I think they should strongly consider it. Atleast for a few weeks.
I totally for about that. Thanks for bringing it up. OHL wouldn't have benefited him anymore. It's pretty crappy that it would be the OHL or the NHL. AHL would have done him a lot of good.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
No adjustments have been made then as its happened 10 out of 12 games so far and showing no signs of changing.
And it's all on the players, as far as I'm concerned. These decisions are made, head's up, watching the opponents position on ice, on the fly. The lines are making bad decisions. Or worse, they are making two or three different decisions (ie, each player on a different attack mode - usually shows up as missed passes and offsides)....

This is often called "chemisty", as in, "I saw Cliffie was going to his off-wing corner, so I tossed it over there, glided to the net, and got lucky. He made a great pass."

Right now, we have "I thought you were going to throw it in the corner". "NO. I was cutting in behind you!" "With the PUCK? ON THE BLUE LINE?!". "Well I chipped it past the D! Where were you?"

"I WAS HEADED TO THE CORNER LIKE COACH SAID!"

They both turnaround.... "Penner, where were you?" "Went in front of the net, but there was no puck, so I followed Cliff to the corner but it wasn't there either."

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Lewis needs to learn how to finish. Whenever he takes a shot, I never expect it to go in and it rarely does. He's frustrating to watch because if he could learn how to score, he would be a great player.
He is giving NHL goalies too much credit IMO. On that break away against Khabibulin he tries to pick a corner and fires it wide. He either needs to deek in that spot or shot for the 7 or 5 hole. He has to make the goalie make a save in that situation.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I can admit I was wrong on Handzus. I didn't realize what he provided to the Kings until it was gone. Sure he wasn't the fastest guy, but he was an asset in the 3rd line role, one of the smartest players on the team. The downgrade in 3rd line center from last year to this year is painfully obvious.
So, the Kings were 25th in offense last year and are 26th right now. That is because the Kings lost Handzus?

The Kings offense hasn't fallen that much. This is how it has been for most of Terry's tenure in LA. Doesn't seem to matter who is in the lineup.

Wasn't Handzus supposed to be a defensive player? The Kings are 3rd in the NHL right now in defense and were 7th last year. So, the Kings are slighly worse on offense and better on defense without Handzus.

Edmonton's 3rd goal last night was just the third goal scored against the Kings with Stoll on the ice and somehow Kopitar was out there too (was the goal after a faceoff?). Kopitar has been on the ice for 8 goals against the past 4 games.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Oilers fan here,

I thought it was an alright game. Oilers blocked a load of shots.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:52 PM
KingLB

Quote:

Same situation Moller was in....that didn't work well.

People thinking Clifford is the problem need to open their eyes.....when you need rely on a 4th liner for anything, there are fundamental problems. Clifford is the exact same player he was last year (excluding playoffs) his biggest problems is people have expectations for him now.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Nose of Sutter

I think our lineup needs a change, bring Loki and VV up. Let VV and Martinez rotate every game until one proves he is better. Somewhat of the same thing with Loki and Stoll maybe not rotate them every game but often and if Loki is superior then trade Stoll. Maybe put Clifford in the top 9 too. And waive or trade DD44, preferably trade him to a team that needs D maybe we could get a mid to low pick for him.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Monarchist

At this point, even though Penner hasn't earned ice time, I say put him with Kopitar and Richards and call up Loktionov as 2C and put him with Brown and Gagne. Penner can't create anything but will be a beast if good players surround him and he just has to play defensively when the other team has the puck (he is not bad at that) and go to the net when the team has it.

Williams can be scratched if he is going to play like he did against the Oilers. If he does well then Stoll and Brown can be 2/3 of a top notch 3rd line.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:45 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Oilers fan here,

I thought it was an alright game.
God I should hope so.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:56 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I would urge optimistic caution. We are still at the stage where our team and coaches are working things out. I hate losing but still see us as being on of the top 7 or 8 teams in the game right now and would rather we work out our problems early on then struggle along only to fail later.

If we are still only a half a dozen games over 500 at the 25 game point then maybe we start getting serious about things but in the meantime this whole panic/praise thing seems a bit knee jerk reactionary to me.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
he controlled them because......net presence. or the Kings lack of it. goalies at that level will soak up almost everything unless they have someone's ass, stick, feet, torso....sitting in front of them. a NHL goalie with a clear view will gobble up almost everything shot at him. the whole point of posting on the crease and screening them is to make it harder for them to get their angles, positioning and view. until somebody on LA on at least two lines starts doing it, expect more crappy results.

i only recall one after whistle scrum around Khabi last night. DB went in once and that was it. way to get in his head and mess up his game. LA played 60-minutes of warming up the goalie last night.
that's totally true. he almost always was ready and aware of where the puck was coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
I think our lineup needs a change, bring Loki and VV up. Let VV and Martinez rotate every game until one proves he is better. Somewhat of the same thing with Loki and Stoll maybe not rotate them every game but often and if Loki is superior then trade Stoll. Maybe put Clifford in the top 9 too. And waive or trade DD44, preferably trade him to a team that needs D maybe we could get a mid to low pick for him.
i'm inclined to agree with tonelli on this one, though. i think we still have some time to evaluate things, and i definitely think some line shakeups are in order, and are far more likely than any transactions occurring. yes, we have done them already, and they might not be the best option, but TM/DL haven't really shown themselves to be very active in that way when the team is struggling. so, regardless of whether call-ups or demotions are necessary at this point, i don't think it is going to happen anytime soon given management's history.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote