HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Win 4th In a Row!

Old
11-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Souvenirs

vCash: 500
The PGT is so quiet after a win. People truly love to bathe in negativity. Kinda sad.

Anyway,the first two periods were solid, Price was great once again, Eller keeps on impressing me.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:40 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
... wtf is that?! Lol.

Skinner celebrating a goal in the 5-1 loss?
To his credit, it was the 1st goal of the game. Then Wash scored 5.

I'd be ecstatic if I scored the 1st goal vs the Caps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
The PGT is so quiet after a win. People truly love to bathe in negativity. Kinda sad.

Anyway,the first two periods were solid, Price was great once again, Eller keeps on impressing me.
It's not that people want to be more negative, it's that the negative people come in, say a lot of really stupid things, and then all of us have the same reflex

SOMEBODY. IS WRONG. ON THE INTERNETS.

That makes for long threads.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoaxd View Post

So pretty.
Can anyone who watched the game on RDS in HD,post a up close "slow motion" video of Subban skating to the penealty box when he took the slashing pen at 18:37 of the second period.

Watch close on the backside of his right shoulder as he skates over to the box.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:43 AM
SlipperyPete

Just back from the game (and a few drinks afterwards). Here are a few impressions from seeing the game live. I realize that TV coverage is so extensive these days that people at home probably catch almost as much as someone seeing the game live, but in person you still see more of the whole ice and where players are positioned, so take these comments for what they're worth.

- First of all, I can never get over how terrible the location of Scotiabank Place is. One of the worst decisions ever. Ottawa and the Senators screwed themselves out of fans and a community atmosphere by building the arena out in the middle of nowhere.

- Eller continues to impress. He still needs to finish a little better, but his line was consistently the best all night, and he just does so many things right on the ice.

- Cammy and Plekanec had really rough games. Cammy had a nice pass on the assist he got, but aside from that was basically invisible all night. Plekanec had one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. It seemed like every pass was into someone's skates and not on their stick, and he just made poor decisions with the puck all night. Luckily, it's so rare for him to have a game like this - but he was definitely off tonight.

- Some people may slam me for this who thought Subban had a bad game tonight, but he is by far our best defenceman, and it's clear the other teams know it. When he has the puck, they forecheck with not just one guy (that can usually be seen on the TV screen), but another forward is usually keeping an eye on him and almost shadowing him from a distance as well. Yes, he still makes some stupid mistakes, but he really has the total package. The way he sees the ice on passes out of his zone is beyond any other D-man the Habs have. He is also getting much better on positioning. The goal that he was on for in tonight's game was definitely not his fault. First Diaz made two mistakes in a row. And then the forwards that should have been rushing back to help out were really lazy. So when Subban took his man out, he did so expecting that the forwards who were in a position to help out at the beginning of the play would still be there. They weren't. Anyway, enough about Subban.

- The 4th line played really well, and has been solid since they were put together.

- Finally, I've been a defender of Gill, but man, I'm now nervous everytime he's out on the ice. Not only is he slow, but he's making a few bad decisions too. More than once tonight he went for the puck instead of taking his man (as did Spacek actually), and the guy just stepped around him and continued.

Overall, good to get a win after 6 days off. Still pretty excited about what a full Habs team can do once Markov is back, Cammy regains his scoring touch, and as Eller, Subban and Pacioretty continue to develop.

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Captain Saku

Weber has been better than PK so far this year.

And DD better than Gomez.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:56 AM
SlipperyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Weber has been better than PK so far this year.

And DD better than Gomez.
Well, I won't argue on the second one, but I'm not totally sure about the first one. Weber has been very good, and I agree he's probably been more consistent than Subban. However, I do think that Subban is a victim of high expectations and that people watch him so much that every little mistake is amplified. I'm not sure who has the stats that would shed light on this, but Subban still seems to win way more tough battles along the boards for the puck than Weber does, even if Weber has improved a lot in this area.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Just back from the game (and a few drinks afterwards). Here are a few impressions from seeing the game live. I realize that TV coverage is so extensive these days that people at home probably catch almost as much as someone seeing the game live, but in person you still see more of the whole ice and where players are positioned, so take these comments for what they're worth.

- First of all, I can never get over how terrible the location of Scotiabank Place is. One of the worst decisions ever. Ottawa and the Senators screwed themselves out of fans and a community atmosphere by building the arena out in the middle of nowhere.

- Eller continues to impress. He still needs to finish a little better, but his line was consistently the best all night, and he just does so many things right on the ice.

- Cammy and Plekanec had really rough games. Cammy had a nice pass on the assist he got, but aside from that was basically invisible all night. Plekanec had one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. It seemed like every pass was into someone's skates and not on their stick, and he just made poor decisions with the puck all night. Luckily, it's so rare for him to have a game like this - but he was definitely off tonight.

- Some people may slam me for this who thought Subban had a bad game tonight, but he is by far our best defenceman, and it's clear the other teams know it. When he has the puck, they forecheck with not just one guy (that can usually be seen on the TV screen), but another forward is usually keeping an eye on him and almost shadowing him from a distance as well. Yes, he still makes some stupid mistakes, but he really has the total package. The way he sees the ice on passes out of his zone is beyond any other D-man the Habs have. He is also getting much better on positioning. The goal that he was on for in tonight's game was definitely not his fault. First Diaz made two mistakes in a row. And then the forwards that should have been rushing back to help out were really lazy. So when Subban took his man out, he did so expecting that the forwards who were in a position to help out at the beginning of the play would still be there. They weren't. Anyway, enough about Subban.

- The 4th line played really well, and has been solid since they were put together.

- Finally, I've been a defender of Gill, but man, I'm now nervous everytime he's out on the ice. Not only is he slow, but he's making a few bad decisions too. More than once tonight he went for the puck instead of taking his man (as did Spacek actually), and the guy just stepped around him and continued.

Overall, good to get a win after 6 days off. Still pretty excited about what a full Habs team can do once Markov is back, Cammy regains his scoring touch, and as Eller, Subban and Pacioretty continue to develop.
On a related note about plekanec, how is the pleks gionta pacioretty line doing? I haven't gotten to watch the last few games but they seem to have been avoiding the scoreboard.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:11 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Well, I won't argue on the second one, but I'm not totally sure about the first one. Weber has been very good, and I agree he's probably been more consistent than Subban. However, I do think that Subban is a victim of high expectations and that people watch him so much that every little mistake is amplified. I'm not sure who has the stats that would shed light on this, but Subban still seems to win way more tough battles along the boards for the puck than Weber does, even if Weber has improved a lot in this area.
Nah, Weber has been better. A lot better.

Subban has had great games, and poor games. His decision making is lacking (although until tonight, he had been great for the past 5 or 6 games). He tries to do too much and sometimes forgets he has teammates. I don't question his passion though. He'll get better with experience.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
SlipperyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
On a related note about plekanec, how is the pleks gionta pacioretty line doing? I haven't gotten to watch the last few games but they seem to have been avoiding the scoreboard.
It may have been partly because of Pleks' off night, but they really weren't much of a factor in the game at all. Even Patches didn't seem as "active" as he usually is.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:25 AM
SlipperyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Subban has had great games, and poor games. His decision making is lacking (although until tonight, he had been great for the past 5 or 6 games). He tries to do too much and sometimes forgets he has teammates. I don't question his passion though. He'll get better with experience.
Sorry, still not convinced. You'll have to give me more than just saying Weber has been better. I agree that he has been more consistent, but even not playing as well as he should, PK has still be more important in my opinion. I mentioned puck battles, and I think the guy who does those stats (Just Thoughts I believe is his handle on here) has stats that would show PK is still much stronger in this area. Plus, he's been used in more situations than Weber has all season, including more often being matched up against opposing team's top lines. Basically, even playing below expectations, if you take PK away from this team, I think they're in a worse place than if you would have done the same with Weber.

Anyway, great that we have a few good young defenceman that we can have these debates about. I seem to be one of the few still up posting right now, so I'll leave the discussion until later.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Not true at all. Subban faces tougher competition.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
No crap! All people have to do is check the minutes!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:35 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
No doubt he faces better competition, he's supposed to be the better player.

He hasn't played great ll the time this year though. But, he's the star so he'll get a free pass from fans.

I could care less if he's the star. I can guarantee you that Subban isn't very happy with the way he's playing.

Like I said, In the past two weeks, Subban has been great. He had a rough game tonight, but he was awesome for the last 6-games. I'm no worried about him, but Weber has been better. There is a reason he is +7 and Subbn is -4. He's handling the competition he's facing better.

That's like saying, well Mathieu Darche is better than Andrei Kostitsyn (a few years back when he played on the first line).

Weber and Gorges have been the best two defenseman on this team. No argument is going to convince me otherwise right now.

Subban and Spacek are behind them. Diaz & Emelin behind them. And then Gill.

Subban had a horrid start, but is quickly climbing back up the ladder. His game tonight was something he'd like to forget though.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Lucius

Quote:
No doubt he faces better competition, he's supposed to be the better player.

He hasn't played great ll the time this year though. But, he's the star so he'll get a free pass from fans.

I could care less if he's the star. I can guarantee you that Subban isn't very happy with the way he's playing.

Like I said, In the past two weeks, Subban has been great. He had a rough game tonight, but he was awesome for the last 6-games. I'm no worried about him, but Weber has been better. There is a reason he is +7 and Subbn is -4. He's handling the competition he's facing better.

That's like saying, well Mathieu Darche is better than Andrei Kostitsyn (a few years back when he played on the first line).

Weber and Gorges have been the best two defenseman on this team. No argument is going to convince me otherwise right now.

Subban and Spacek are behind them. Diaz & Emelin behind them. And then Gill.

Subban had a horrid start, but is quickly climbing back up the ladder. His game tonight was something he'd like to forget though.
...and the competition argument is getting a bit more delicate. It was Weber out in the final minute tonight.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We spent the whole game icing the puck.. if this is what you guys call a solid road game, ive no more words.. its all playing soft and relying on our goaltender again..
what do you mean by soft exactly, and last time I checked the goalie is part of the team, and is paid to stop the puck. The Habs dominated the first and second period, and the Sens were the better team in the third, but they are a good third period team. It seems a lot of the detractors on this board repeat the same things over and over, without deeper analysis. Maybe we need to fire the coach, or the GM, change the system completely, or maybe just relax and try to enjoy the win. In fact, this isn't real life so just enjoy the ride.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:00 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Just finished watching the game on my dvr. Diaz cost Carey a shutout and Carey bailed Diaz out several other times in the night. Also holy hell the refs were trying so hard to get the Sens to win. Lars Elgod with a Godlike performance. I really hope 46-81-32 isn't touched when Blowmez returns.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Stradale

Quote:

Ok then, lets put it this way.

Weber, in his role, is getting the job done, while PK, in his role, hasn't been that good.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Just finished watching the game on my dvr. Diaz cost Carey a shutout and Carey bailed Diaz out several other times in the night. Also holy hell the refs were trying so hard to get the Sens to win. Lars Elgod with a Godlike performance. I really hope 46-81-32 isn't touched when Blowmez returns.
Well! It's good to know that the Moscow Iron Curtain saw the same things I did in Dorval this eve.

Seriously Diaz is Hamilton bound temporarily once Markov is back. They won't bench Gill! Gill is the only man in Montreal that can subdue PK.

The reffing was atrocious, but we won. so just makes us stronger. Reffing is yesterdays news.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:20 AM
TroyM

There'd be no question in my mind that Diaz is out once Markov is back. The real tough decision comes when Campoli is ready, if god willing we can stay healthy until then...

I honestly don't know what I'd do. I think we'd have 7 guys that 100% deserved to be in the line-up. Not a bad problem to have I guess, and who knows what'll happen as he's still a ways away.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Mike8

Quote:

I could care less if he's the star.
This seems like hyperbole. Plenty of fans in GDTs have been chastising Subban. Nice to know that you're above regular fans and can see through it all, though.

Quote:
There is a reason he is +7 and Subbn is -4. He's handling the competition he's facing better.

I don't get your analogy to Darche/Kostitsyn. Seems to me you're making that very argument with Weber/Subban. Darche, in his more limited role, fulfils that role while Kostitsyn in a 1st-line role doesn't. Consequently, you say Darche is playing better. Well, sure. He's playing better as a 4th liner than Kostitsyn is as a 1st liner. That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, though: Kostitsyn was clearly the better player. Similarly, if Weber was playing better than Subban, then the coach would be giving Weber the tougher assignments, no? Or at least, sharing the tougher assignments until Subban is back to being vastly superior to Weber.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
...and the competition argument is getting a bit more delicate. It was Weber out in the final minute tonight.
Actually, it was Weber out in the final 25 seconds, after Subban had been out there for a minute and a half.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Actually, it was Weber out in the final 25 seconds, after Subban had been out there for a minute and a half.
Are there actually some locals or Fans(Same) that are actually getting on Subban's case? Lets see no Markov or Wis, lets ask the kid with 81 NHL games under his belt to fill that role because we screwed up on the cap. Give me an Effing break! PK is making errors but he should be learning right now, he is a star, but some are asking him to be a 5 year vet right now.

Doubters & we all will regret it in 5 years if he gets traded to LA.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:31 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
This seems like hyperbole. Plenty of fans in GDTs have been chastising Subban. Nice to know that you're above regular fans and can see through it all, though.

I don't get your analogy to Darche/Kostitsyn. Seems to me you're making that very argument with Weber/Subban. Darche, in his more limited role, fulfils that role while Kostitsyn in a 1st-line role doesn't. Consequently, you say Darche is playing better. Well, sure. He's playing better as a 4th liner than Kostitsyn is as a 1st liner. That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, though: Kostitsyn was clearly the better player. Similarly, if Weber was playing better than Subban, then the coach would be giving Weber the tougher assignments, no? Or at least, sharing the tougher assignments until Subban is back to being vastly superior to Weber.
Darche better than Kostitsyn. Okay.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Against these Sens, measuring the level of competition is simple, IMO. The tough minutes are those played against Spezza:

Gorges 8.1
Subban 7.9
Gill 4.9
Weber 3.9
Diaz 3.9
Spacek 3.6

http://timeonice.com/H2H1112.html?Ga...0180&submit=Go

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Darche better than Kostitsyn. Okay.
Please read carefully. I didn't say Darche was better than Kostitsyn at all. Not sure how you could even derive that from anything I stated.