HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching, GM changes imminent?

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
umbyforpresident

vCash: 500
1. Relieve Priest of his duties. Nothing against him but it seems since he is the guy who brings in the GM, he has to go too. Admitting he has not done a good enough job is admitting you didn't either. I'm not sure who to replace him with, but I think he has to go. Bring in somebody with a boatload of experience (easier said then done, but do your best to bring somebody in)

2. Relieve Howson of duties after the President has been put in place. Allow the new president to conduct his search. Allow him all the time he needs to find the GM because:

3. Place Hitchcock in as the GM to fulfill the necessary day to day. He makes no major decisions on trades unless the President agrees it's a proper way to go. This is why we need a hockey know-how president.

4. Once the new GM is in place, he makes the decision on the next coach. In the meantime:

5. Promote Todd Richards to HC. He does have experience from MN (although not the best record) and can serve as interim coach.

6. Actually suck bad enough that we get the first pick in the draft.

Sure it's easy to armchair QB. As a STH I will stick with this team if they make changes that I view make us better. Just my two cents

Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Matt

I agree with you. There are players on this team that can do whatever they want and nothing happens. You can tell in the first five minutes of any game if these guys feel like playing, and you can predict the outcome. Most games they just go through the motions. You have maybe 6 guys at the most that give it a try every game.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post
1. Relieve Priest of his duties. Nothing against him but it seems since he is the guy who brings in the GM, he has to go too. Admitting he has not done a good enough job is admitting you didn't either. I'm not sure who to replace him with, but I think he has to go. Bring in somebody with a boatload of experience (easier said then done, but do your best to bring somebody in)

2. Relieve Howson of duties after the President has been put in place. Allow the new president to conduct his search. Allow him all the time he needs to find the GM because:

3. Place Hitchcock in as the GM to fulfill the necessary day to day. He makes no major decisions on trades unless the President agrees it's a proper way to go. This is why we need a hockey know-how president.

4. Once the new GM is in place, he makes the decision on the next coach. In the meantime:

5. Promote Todd Richards to HC. He does have experience from MN (although not the best record) and can serve as interim coach.

Sure it's easy to armchair QB. As a STH I will stick with this team if they make changes that I view make us better. Just my two cents
And after this tragedy i am not CBJ fan anymore. Hitch GM and Richards HC... good jesus.

If Howson would be President, Dudley GM it would be good IMO.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
And after this tragedy i am not CBJ fan anymore. Hitch GM and Richards HC... good jesus.

If Howson would be President, Dudley GM it would be good IMO.
So Howson deserves a promotion huh? OK.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post

You forgot 7., which would be "bide your time waiting for the moving trucks to arrive", because that's exactly what would happen.

1) The only people who could take over as team president with "boatloads of hockey experience" are unemployed, and justifiably so.

2) The idea that a team president with "boatloads of hockey experience" wouldn't attempt to install himself as GM or else put a puppet in as GM to do his bidding is hopelessly naive.

3) Hitchcock would make an awful GM. He's a very good pro scout, and that's the extent of it. I don't believe he has either the long-term vision or patience to deal with drafting and development.

4) Put a coach in as GM, then hope that he doesn't put himself behind the bench? See #2.

5) Complain about failure, then put Todd Richards in as head coach? This is really something.

6) Oh, don't worry...with the moves you've suggested, finishing dead last the next three or four years would be all but guaranteed. Not that there'd be the first overall picks following; this team would never win a draft lottery in the first place.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post

3) Hitchcock would make an awful GM. He's a very good pro scout, and that's the extent of it. I don't believe he has either the long-term vision or patience to deal with drafting and development.
A fact which Hitch, himself, has often acknowledged.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
Congratulations, Doug Maclean just said on Hockeycentral@noon that he got some info from this thread. He was being sarcastic but still you now know he is reading.
He's still ticked off for the way people here got sick of him at the end.

There was a guy that posted around that time that I'm fairly certain had some sort of connection with Doug ala Palinka's unnatural infatuation with Howson.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
umbyforpresident

So the term "interim" is missed by everybody.

Everybody complains about changes, then complains at people who suggest them.

The suggestion of Hitch to GM for the INTERIM is because he is already ON staff, no more pay necessary. It's INTERIM so it won't be all that long.

Palinka, I did note that clearly it's not easy to find the President with experience. But at the rate we are already going, it's not going to make a difference if those changes fail or not. We will be moving out irregardless. You have a lot more experience with this than I (much more in tune to footy) but you can't tell me there isn't an available guy who wouldn't be interested, has experience, and isn't a total waste. Just because I asked for hockey experience, doesn't mean the guy has to have played, been a GM, etc. Just somebody who has experienced being a President of a sport franchise, preferably the one he/she will be coming to (hockey).

Call me naive. But it's also naive to think that if we let this bear continue to sleep away, he will stay here when he finally wakes up. This team is going to be out the friggin door if we leave things alone.

What would your plan be P? Like I said, you know more about this game, and this team, than I do. I'm just trying to come up with ideas. You might call them wrong, but wtf does it matter since I'm not in charge of this team?

Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You forgot 7., which would be "bide your time waiting for the moving trucks to arrive", because that's exactly what would happen.
Good lord. Can we stop with this nonsense? Once the lease situation is resolved (and, by the will of Natiowide et al., it will be) this team isn't moving no matter how badly they play.

Quote:
1) The only people who could take over as team president with "boatloads of hockey experience" are unemployed, and justifiably so.

2) The idea that a team president with "boatloads of hockey experience" wouldn't attempt to install himself as GM or else put a puppet in as GM to do his bidding is hopelessly naive.
What I think is naive is your understanding of people's motivations. Some guys don't want to be a GM again. They want a title and an easy retirement job. There a few guys out there that fit that bill, it would seem.

Quote:
4) Put a coach in as GM, then hope that he doesn't put himself behind the bench? See #2.
Umm, again, GM is a higher position than coach, with its own responsibilities. Its entirely possible that a guy who was a coach in the past that becomes a GM decides he just wants to be a front office guy. Not everyone is Doug MacLean.

Quote:
6) Oh, don't worry...with the moves you've suggested, finishing dead last the next three or four years would be all but guaranteed. Not that there'd be the first overall picks following; this team would never win a draft lottery in the first place.
The last refuge of the dead enders--"might as well win some meaningless games because the Fates will never allow us to get the #1 overall pick and surely #2 will not do!"

You do realize you are sounding less and less logical and more and more emotional in your defense of this idiot, right?

Old
11-04-2011, 12:58 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
We need someone with boatloads of experience and success as a GM, not another "Hot young guy with no experience", however much Coug may want that

Give the guy a few seasons to hopefully begin changing the culture and righting the ship. Afterwards, see if he is interested in moving up and being the "Czar" position that we've been talking about and have him basically dictate direction with a new GM and coaches if he wants.

One big problem I've always had with Scott Howson is the fact that, regardless of what we heard about him in the Edmonton organization, he was learning on the job, nobody in the organization fully grasped at how bad a shape we, as a franchise, were in.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
After all, finishing 13th or 14th has been so much better.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
A fact which Hitch, himself, has often acknowledged.
The question is, would awful be an improvement?

Old
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
davidbklyn

Mason retires tomorrow, becomes GM Sunday. Or else Garon.

Old
11-04-2011, 06:01 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
Mason retires tomorrow, becomes GM Sunday. Or else Garon.
Then he could swing a trade with Detroit to get Commie back and another with Philly to get Jake back and the three amigos can hit the town!

Old
11-04-2011, 10:02 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Fire Howson and Arniel and hire blahblah and leesmith (and similar) who are the skiller and the smarter from all because they know all, all GM will do trades like they want, all players will play like they think, injuries wil not be... all is so easy... according their imgaines... and their imagines must be right

P.S. Hurvínek says hello...

I actually like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Pahlsson is donezo. I love the guy, but, if he weren't being paid so much, he wouldn't even be in our lineup any more. He has lost his edge in the faceoff circle and contributes in no other discernible fashion.

Dorsett. Are you serious?

And then there's Bass. Giroux. Boll--the fighter who can't fight. Russell. Aaron Johnson. And, much as people like him because of his "effort", Matt Calvert.

Heck, 1/3 of this team is only worthy of the AHL.

Byrral is right--it isn't just the goalie. Heck, Mason was actually playing okay but not great in the first several games when Carter was still in the lineup. And we weren't winning. Because the offense can't contribute more than 2 goals a game on a consistent basis and the defense isn't strong enough to make up for that.
Can we leave Boller out of this crap, please? I usually tend to listen to you. Please...don't make me throw bananas at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
We need someone with boatloads of experience and success as a GM, not another "Hot young guy with no experience", however much Coug may want that

Give the guy a few seasons to hopefully begin changing the culture and righting the ship. Afterwards, see if he is interested in moving up and being the "Czar" position that we've been talking about and have him basically dictate direction with a new GM and coaches if he wants.

One big problem I've always had with Scott Howson is the fact that, regardless of what we heard about him in the Edmonton organization, he was learning on the job, nobody in the organization fully grasped at how bad a shape we, as a franchise, were in.
LOL It's kinda cute how you forget that I ADORED Hitch. *sighs* I think I always will.... When the hell did we EVER have a "Hot young guy with no experience"??? Did I miss something?? LOL

Old
11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I actually like this idea.
At least she finally acknowledged that I know all...

I don't think she's all that impressed with my hockey ideology and analysis.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:08 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
At least she finally acknowledged that I know all...

I don't think she's all that impressed with my hockey ideology and analysis.
LOL You're my #1 Starter.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Checking the OP I notice that the asnwer is "not at that time." There are plenty of places to discuss everything in here. Closed.

Closed Thread